PDA

View Full Version : Unrelated Cycling Medical Question

kgrooney
01-19-2006, 08:27 AM
Hello All,

Does anyone have any first hand experience with a detached retina? I have a frantic sister that requires surgery tomorrow and according to WebMd, the procedure is common and effective.

Any experiences, so I can help calm her. Appreciate the feedback.

Regards,

Too Tall
01-19-2006, 09:06 AM
Apre's surgery she'll likely have a course of new gen. drugs just approved by the FDA to prevent further problems....my 84 yr. old mom's eyesight was saved by this. Good luck.

slowgoing
01-19-2006, 10:02 AM
What kind of surgery, laser or a buckle?

gasman
01-19-2006, 10:15 AM
I had a detached retina in '98. It rquired 2 surgeries to repair- I had a bubble, a buckle and laseer. My eyesight is fine now but I have had 2 additonal surgeries on the same eye.First for a cataract that formed as a common complication of the surgery.Second was a vitrectomy to remove the huge number of floaters that occurred from the detachment. All is well now.
The surgery is common. It is also best to have a surgeon that is busy and has at least 5 years of practice under their belt.
I don't know of any drugs that prevent detachment. There are some new drugs for macular degeneration. This may be what Too Tall is talking about.

gasman
01-19-2006, 10:16 AM
I had a detached retina in '98. It required 2 surgeries to repair- I had a bubble, a buckle and laser repair. My eyesight is fine now but I have had 2 additonal surgeries on the same eye.First for a cataract that formed as a common complication of the surgery.Second was a vitrectomy to remove the huge number of floaters that occurred from the detachment. All is well now.
The surgery is common. It is also best to have a surgeon that is busy and has at least 5 years of practice under their belt.
I don't know of any drugs that prevent detachment. There are some new drugs for macular degeneration. This may be what Too Tall is talking about.
PM me if you further questions.

kgrooney
01-19-2006, 11:12 AM
The procedure is a Buckle.

gasman
01-19-2006, 12:32 PM
The procedure is a Buckle.

She should do well depending on the extent of the detachment. It is common to also laser with the buckle.
Good luck to her.