PDA

View Full Version : Tubular Tire - air loss question

19wisconsin64
11-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Hi All,
I set up a fixed gear Serotta, with some great parts, and a great wheel set. The wheels use new old stock Campy tubular rims, with brand new Vittoria Evo CX 23 mm tubular tires.
Question: is it normal for these tires to lose a lot of pressure after a day or two? Are you supposed to pump them up daily?
I race track, and my track tubulars did not lose air as fast. Is it the tire brand?

carpediemracing
11-23-2013, 10:37 AM
You have latex tubes in them. They lose air pretty rapidly, enough so that Vittoria markets a "triathlete" tire with butyl tubes (since tri bikes sit for hours, even overnight, in the transition area). You'll need to check/inflate them every day.

Your other tires may be Continentals which generally use butyl tubes (the ones I've owned have all had butyl). They're like normal tubes, don't lose air very quickly.

Pete Mckeon
11-23-2013, 10:44 AM
AND THEY ARE MORE POROUS and when I used them, I pumped up daily before the ride. PETE

19wisconsin64
11-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the information, I knew something was different!

FlashUNC
11-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Yup, latex. If you're feeling froggy, you can try to add some Caffelatex or other tire sealant. I've heard apocryphal stories of it slowing the air seepage, but that may just be bunk.

lhuerta
11-23-2013, 01:02 PM
Hi All,
Are you supposed to pump them up daily?

Pumping tires daily before should be a daily ritual whether you use tubulars or clinchers with latex or butyl tubes...don't you want to make sure that your tires are always at correct pressure? Lou