PDA

View Full Version : Shimano BB-ES51

chengher87
11-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Helping a friend build up a winter beater and decided to downgrade her Hollowtech II to a cartridge bottom bracket. Found an old 4400 generation Tiagra crank and so have to work with octalink V2. Starting screwing in the bottom bracket and found that it doesn't screw in completely on either side. There is about 1 thread (maybe slightly less) popping out from both the drive side cup and the plastic non-drive cup. Testing, there doesn't seem to be any play, but I'm not completely convinced.

Should I put some spacers there, or is that bottom bracket good as is?

oliver1850
11-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Is it an E type? They are made to take a FD that mounts under the drive side cup. About 2 mm thick as I recall.

If it is an E type, you can add a spacer under the drive side to simulate the E type FD. You should add the spacer, rather than run as is.

I think the PN for the E type is: IBBES51EB13Y

The PN for the "non E type" is: EBBES51B13

those PNs from Uninversal Cycles' site as that was what came up in the search.

chengher87
11-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Thanks, it looks like it might be 2.5-3.0mm. I took 2 of my 1.0mm metal cassette spacers and checked and it looks like there is still about 0.5mm to work with.

Much appreciated brother!

cmbicycles
11-23-2013, 09:35 AM
It is possible you could have a BB for a 73mm shell. It should say on the BB sticker somewhere whether it is 68/73. 2.5mm is the spacer thickness you should need if it is a 68 E-type BB. Not that big a deal if it sticks out a little on the non drive side, most non-external cup BB's do.

oldpotatoe
11-23-2013, 11:16 AM
It is possible you could have a BB for a 73mm shell. It should say on the BB sticker somewhere whether it is 68/73. 2.5mm is the spacer thickness you should need if it is a 68 E-type BB. Not that big a deal if it sticks out a little on the non drive side, most non-external cup BB's do.

It is, since it's a V2 fat spline octalink.

chengher87
11-23-2013, 11:33 AM
Thanks all! It is a 68E V2 octalink. I went to Ace Hardware and bought a 2mm zinc bushing and combined it with a spacer I had on one of my cassettes and boom, my friend has a fully functional bike.

Although she was looking on ebay for Shimano spacers and most were $5 or more!! Zinc bushing cost me 65 cents. Although she did treat me to a Mcrib for the spacer (I know, it's terrible for my health, but I made a promise to someone that we'd both eat at least one Mcrib together a year for the rest of our lives. I was also 6 when I made that promise. but my word is my bond).