PDA

View Full Version : Tech question

dsimon
01-18-2006, 10:38 PM
I have a F1 fork with a quill adaptor that lets you use it with the new headset it needs to be refinished has a few nicks and not looking so sexy should i refinish it or switch to a 1" threadless system i was thinking of the Reynolds ozou(sp) pro fork with a CK headset red?

dave thompson
01-18-2006, 10:47 PM
I have a F1 fork with a quill adaptor that lets you use it with the new headset it needs to be refinished has a few nicks and not looking so sexy should i refinish it or switch to a 1" threadless system i was thinking of the Reynolds ozou(sp) pro fork with a CK headset red?
If you swap out forks, make sure you get the correct rake (typically 43 for Serotta)

dsimon
01-18-2006, 10:49 PM
well you didnt answer the question snow man :D especially since you dont have a quil stem laying around for me is it more practical my battle buddy

dave thompson
01-18-2006, 10:52 PM
well you didnt answer the question snow man :D especially since you dont have a quil stem laying around for me is it more practical my battle buddy
Practical? Refinish the quill adaptor. Fun? New fork and headset. You Army guys make the big bucks anyway, Say, don't you get combat pay in Hawaii?

Dude
01-18-2006, 10:54 PM
I'd go for the threadless. The conversion system is noticably more flexible (and in my opinion ugly) than a more standard threadless setup. If you leave some spacers on top of the stem you still have the advantage of moving the stem higher or lower and it will just look cleaner.

I don't mean to pawn here but depending on how tall long you need a steer tube, I may have one that is threadless. PM me if you are interested.

Functionally, what you have is fine, but you will not regret going to a full blown threadless system. Plus, down the road, parts will be harder and harder to get for threaded forks, also for 1" threaded.

dsimon
01-18-2006, 10:59 PM
Dude Thanks ill Pm you, and DAVE you know i don't make squat in the military I do it for the adventure :beer: and no i don't get combat pay for Hawaii but we should especially when we go to waianae

dave thompson
01-18-2006, 11:07 PM
Dude Thanks ill Pm you, and DAVE you know i don't make squat in the military I do it for the adventure :beer: and no i don't get combat pay for Hawaii but we should especially when we go to waianae
When I was in the USAF in Hawaii in the '60s, we were tasked with defending the shores of Waikiki from the onrushing hordes of the godless Communists. I would say we did a damnfine job. Waikiki is still free!

dsimon
01-18-2006, 11:09 PM
the sixtiesman i wasnt even thought of i bet you were chasen them there hoola girlies :D :butt:

dave thompson
01-18-2006, 11:23 PM
the sixtiesman i wasnt even thought of i bet you were chasen them there hoola girlies :D :butt:
When I got to Hawaii in '61, there were still private homes on Waikiki Beach!

Didn't chase 'hoola girlies' but waited for the start of Co-Ed season in June. The hunting was very good.