11-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Tremendous point made.
(with the lowest production quality currently available) :rolleyes:

vqdriver
11-22-2013, 11:40 AM
wow. thats a pretty big "spot"

Redbasso2
11-22-2013, 11:48 AM
I commute in NJ riding directly adjacent to tractor trailers barreling down a busy road to get to the NJ turnpike. I always assumed that they could see me. I guess I'll be trying to give a little extra room between them and myself...which unfortunately is often impossible. It's the turns at the intersections that need a lot of attention.

Dale Alan
11-22-2013, 12:14 PM
Wow,that is a real eye opener. I had no idea.

flyhippy
11-22-2013, 12:31 PM
In large part, the angle of the tractor in relation to the trailer in this specific scenario causes the blind spot. But it is a realistic scenario. I'd like to see what the blind spot looks like with the truck and trailer parked in line with each other, rather than with the mirrors of the truck angled back at the trailer.

DerekB
11-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Pretty bad mirror adjustment. All you can see in the mirrors is the left side of the truck.
But, yes, a good reminder.

cp43
11-22-2013, 01:23 PM
I think the misalignment of the truck and trailer was on purpose, to simulate a truck preparing to make a left turn. Notice that the turn signal is on in the video.

Very good reminder to stay alert, and aware of surrounding traffic.

Chris

parco
11-22-2013, 01:27 PM
What happened to " If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you"?

Louis
11-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Clearly the steering wheel and therefore the driver's on the wrong side of the cab. Had it been on the correct, left, side it would have been super-easy to see them.

ultraman6970
11-22-2013, 04:39 PM
wow, well the truck is not straight but either way at some point a camera with a large angular lens could help them a lot.

Climb01742
11-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Also a compelling argument for designing a new mirror or camera system for 18 wheelers. I know Volvo has done much research on blind spots in cars and redesign their cars accordingly. Wonder if they've done work on reducing blind spots in trucks?

Craig Ryan
11-22-2013, 05:24 PM
I think truck manufactures are working hard on mirror placement and visibility. Many trucks have bumper mounted mirrors, especially urban regulars. We as cyclists and motorists need to help each other (large trucks and us) get through situations where we cross each other. Truckers usually protect their right side (in left drive trucks) as they turn to keep errant autos from coming up on the inside of their turns. Help get them through the intersection by staying away from their blind spots, then go about your business.

VA-Scooter
11-22-2013, 08:01 PM
I think truck manufactures are working hard on mirror placement and visibility. Many trucks have bumper mounted mirrors, especially urban regulars. We as cyclists and motorists need to help each other (large trucks and us) get through situations where we cross each other. Truckers usually protect their right side (in left drive trucks) as they turn to keep errant autos from coming up on the inside of their turns. Help get them through the intersection by staying away from their blind spots, then go about your business.

Well put. Do not be beside a truck approaching any intersection or driveway. They may turn. 4 million miles in big truck -- Very little interaction with bicycles while driving truck. I understand cyclist most truck drivers do not.

killacks
11-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Clearly the steering wheel and therefore the driver's on the wrong side of the cab. Had it been on the correct, left, side it would have been super-easy to see them.

hahaha

oldpotatoe
11-23-2013, 06:29 AM
Well put. Do not be beside a truck approaching any intersection or driveway. They may turn. 4 million miles in big truck -- Very little interaction with bicycles while driving truck. I understand cyclist most truck drivers do not.

WHAT HE SAID.

Urban stop light, me on bike next to 10 wheeler, between the front wheels and the rear wheels, I know, dumb. No signal on for truck, light changes and truck turns right, truck rear wheels, come at me, then go over sidewalk. I am outta room, get off bike, rear wheels run over bike.

Truck keeps going, I run(in cycling shoes), he turns into a construction job..I confront, I can tell he thinks I'm nutz..until a guy in a van, behind the truck, tells the guy what happened-> new DeRosa.....

tsampson
11-23-2013, 06:44 AM
thats effectice

Ahneida Ride
11-23-2013, 07:31 AM
I experienced in real life a similar situation.

Do NOT stay anywhere near the side of a truck

bobswire
11-23-2013, 08:18 AM
I know better, drove a big rig and muni bus. I give them right of way,if for nothing else ,courtesy. It's not easy maneuvering a 40 trailer or bus in city streets.

I was 13 when my step father took me out on his rig and by 16 I was driving them. Later in life I drove for the muni here in San Francisco for a couple of years only because I needed a good health plan when my wife at the time became pregnant.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2372w0.jpg

Climb01742
11-23-2013, 08:36 AM
I know better, drove a big rig and muni bus. I give them right of way,if for nothing else ,courtesy. It's not easy maneuvering a 40 trailer or bus in city streets.

I was 13 when my step father took me out on his rig and by 16 I was driving them. Later in life I drove for the muni here in San Francisco for a couple of years only because I needed a good health plan when my wife at the time became pregnant.

Awesome photo!

AngryScientist
11-23-2013, 08:45 AM
good reminder. another problem with these trucks is most of the time, due to the window height it's nearly impossible to make eye contact with the driver, signaling you're there. i try my best to remember to just stay away from big trucks.

nighthawk
11-23-2013, 08:58 AM
WHAT HE SAID.

Urban stop light, me on bike next to 10 wheeler, between the front wheels and the rear wheels, I know, dumb. No signal on for truck, light changes and truck turns right, truck rear wheels, come at me, then go over sidewalk. I am outta room, get off bike, rear wheels run over bike.

Truck keeps going, I run(in cycling shoes), he turns into a construction job..I confront, I can tell he thinks I'm nutz..until a guy in a van, behind the truck, tells the guy what happened-> new DeRosa.....

Same exact thing happened to me in downtown Providence, RI, except it was a city bus. I was lucky to get off the bike before the bus crumpled it.

VA-Scooter
11-23-2013, 10:50 AM

Love this picture -- Really neat. To make it even worse trailers are 53 feet long now. Pretty awkward anywhere but the interstate.

Louis
11-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Love this picture -- Really neat.

In addition to the image of Bob and his stepfather, I love the mother cat carrying it's kitten, with similar "socks" patterns on each cat. :)

martl
11-23-2013, 06:40 PM
The video description is misleading - if there is such a big blind spot, it can't be called "proper equipment".
Londons plan for developing bicycling includes a lengthy section about making a third rear view mirror for exactly that reason mandatory. Boris Johnson intends to approach the EU authorities, which is the right thing to do, but will take time.

There is also an invention, a mirror to be mounted at traffic light posts:

http://www.muensterschezeitung.de/storage/pic/mdhl/artikelbilder/lokales/mz-mlz-evz-gz/mslo/3742356_0_DSC_6627.jpg?version=1363344391

Also be aware that *to be seen* is the most prominent safety feature of a cyclist, that is why a bicyclist belongs where he can be seen. Not behind bushes and parked cars.