PDA

View Full Version : Editing Software advice for GoPro movie?

Shortsocks
11-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Hi gals/guys.

Making a Video compilation for my favorite riding group. Been shooting content with my GoPro 3 Silver for a while. But the times a coming, Christmas Party on the 15th and Im Starting to get my stuff together.

Are there anyone peeps out there that have made video using a GoPro, Im shooting in 1080p/30FPS using and using MacBook Pro with I7 and 8gigs raam.
Now that you know the stats, what software would you suggest I make this video in? I was just going to use IMovie, but any other suggestions on software would be appreciated.

Or any advice in general would be also appreciated. Tips and/or Tricks would be great, as I'm semi-retarded and new to this.:eek:

Thanks.

Dale Alan
11-21-2013, 07:30 PM
My Son uses Final Cut 7 for what He calls "polished" video but likes imovies for quick edits because of the simplicity. He also said Final Cut Express is good,and easier to use than final cut 7 ...and cheaper. Me,I have know idea what I am talking about. Just typing what he tells me.

Shortsocks
11-21-2013, 08:00 PM
My Son uses Final Cut 7 for what He calls "polished" video but likes imovies for quick edits because of the simplicity. He also said Final Cut Express is good,and easier to use than final cut 7 ...and cheaper. Me,I have know idea what I am talking about. Just typing what he tells me.

Thanks Dave Alan's Son!!

I didnt know there was a Final Cut 7 Express. Ill take a look into that. For some reason I really dont like IMovie. Just dont mix well with it.

Thanks.

onekgguy
11-21-2013, 09:06 PM
I use my MacBook with iMovie to edit my GoPro videos. Here's a link (https://vimeo.com/album/1465211) to a playlist of them with the most recent ones at the front. Deeper into the playlist I was just using my Droid phone to capture video. The GoPro came into being for me a little less than two years ago. I have mine set to 720 at 30 fps. I find that I can get about 2 hours and 20 minutes of continuous run at that setting.

PM me if you'd like.

Kevin g

Germany_chris
11-22-2013, 06:49 AM
Depends on the OS Final Cut only works for Macs

I Use Open shot on Linux, iMovie or Final Cut on Mac. Final Cut 7 has a very steep learning curve.

shamsixnine
11-22-2013, 08:40 AM
Having said that iMovie is pretty decent, however I totally get it if you just don't seem to like it. I believe Adobe has premiere "lite" version, and the Apple Mac App store has tons of third party video editing apps.

tsampson
11-22-2013, 08:59 AM
imovie can do quite a bit. If your just starting with editing start with imovie, its simple. if you know what your doing venture into final cut

Germany_chris
11-22-2013, 09:16 AM
FCP 7 isn't available anymore but FCP X is..

Yea iMovie will do what the OP wants and be easier

Saint Vitus
11-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Thanks Dave Alan's Son!!

I didnt know there was a Final Cut 7 Express. Ill take a look into that. For some reason I really dont like IMovie. Just dont mix well with it.

Thanks.

FC is far more complex than iMovie and more expensive (iMovie being included with the Mac...). I'd suggest busking through it, video editing can be daunting no matter what the program.

NateM
11-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Get the FinalCutX trial and see if you like it. It will last long enough to complete your job.I Movie is not good for anything except frustration.You will most probably learn that shooting in 720 is the way to go with home editing,still very decent quality.1080 is a processor/RAAM hog,keep your laptop on a block of ice…..thats a joke,have fun

Saint Vitus
11-22-2013, 03:15 PM
Get the FinalCutX trial and see if you like it. It will last long enough to complete your job.I Movie is not good for anything except frustration.You will most probably learn that shooting in 720 is the way to go with home editing,still very decent quality.1080 is a processor/RAAM hog,keep your laptop on a block of ice…..thats a joke,have fun

But will it allow him to export without a watermark or other such limitations though?

rice rocket
11-22-2013, 03:28 PM
iMovie? :)

BAL
11-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Evidently the "new" iMovie that has come out with the Mavericks operating system is a good update and it looks easy to use. I found a number of tutorial videos on You Tube for this latest update that are pretty good. Just go to You Tube and search on iMovie and look for the ones posted within the last month.

I have yet to get started using iMovie but I think you will find this free tutorials helpful to get you started.

carpediemracing
11-23-2013, 10:50 AM
I use iMovie to edit my clips (sprinterdellacasa in YouTube, any clip from March 2010 on). I'm definitely an amateur video editor, like a Cat 5, but there's way more to iMovie than I have learned. For now it does everything I need.

However if I feel like I really want to do something that I don't do now, like picture in picture or split screen, then I'll look into doing something else. I don't think iMovie can do that.

On the other hand Windows Movie Maker is super clunky, at least the version I used. The big thing that I didn't like is that if I insert something (text, video, audio) then it only moves that particular set of things over. If I insert a portion of video then music/audio and text boxes don't move over. Granted, this is on the version I used until early 2010.

Speaking of versions I have two versions of iMovie, one that is just a bit older than the other. The older version still imports my ContourHD .mov files. The newer version imports them but I can't see the imported data in iMovie. It seems to be a bug based on a number of things I found on the whole topic. I've had to resort to using the old laptop to edit the last number of clips. I think every clip I did in 2013 was on the old laptop.