PDA

View Full Version : Continental GP 4000s vs. Vittoria Pave

bobswire
11-21-2013, 09:58 AM
I love vittoria pave's, been my favorite for the last 10 years. I recently picked up a set of the Cont. GP4000s after reading and hearing great things about them. My question to those who have experience with both tires,should I mount the GP's or sell them and pick up another pair of Paves for $14 more?
The Continental's just don't have that quality hand made look when compared to Vittoria or Veloflex but if they ride as nice as Pave's I'll overlook the looks.

Lionel
11-21-2013, 10:02 AM
They will not ride nearly as nice.

AngryScientist
11-21-2013, 10:25 AM
They will not ride nearly as nice.

truth.

the pave's are a true 320 tip "open tubular", with a nice soft supple casing. gp4000's will last longer but not ride nearly as nice.

FlashUNC
11-21-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm a Conti fan. I'd go with the GP4000s. But that's just me.

Ahneida Ride
11-21-2013, 11:09 AM
If you ride the Conti's check the sidewalls on a regular basis.

pdmtong
11-21-2013, 11:12 AM
The paves will ride nicer but last about half as long and cost at least 50% more so that's quite a price premium

Most people run the 4000s too hard. Air them down to 100 and much nicer than 120psi

bobswire
11-21-2013, 11:20 AM
The paves will ride nicer but last about half as long and cost at least 50% more so that's quite a price premium

Most people run the 4000s too hard. Air them down to 100 and much nicer than 120psi

I ride my Paves at 90/95 (I'm 145lbs) I would most likely to do the same with Conti's if I decide to keep them. BTW I can get a set of Paves for $95 delivered,the Conti's on sale around $80 delivered. Is $15 worth the upgrade?

akelman
11-21-2013, 11:23 AM

I'd say the Paves feel 30% nicer than the 4000s, and the 4000s will last 25% longer and cost 15% less than the Paves. I base this claim on SCIENCE.

akelman
11-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Is $15 worth the upgrade?

To me, yes. Again, they wear a bit more quickly but they feel much better. I'm willing to pay a small premium ($15 is less than the cost of a movie and popcorn, and the tires will last 3-6 months) for a wear item that, in my view, clearly outperforms its competition.

Mr. Pink
11-21-2013, 11:35 AM
Long time 4000s user here, but, I was forced to buy a pair of Mavics this season when I put a new pair of Kysirium Elites on my bike. (They came with the wheels) I like these tires very much, and, after about 1200 miles, the jury is no longer out on durability. They make the old 4000s feel like a 26 instead of a 23. I'm switching on the other bike over the winter. That bike has the same wheels, but the wheel/tire combo wasn't forced on me last year.

Yksion Pro Griplink (front) & Powerlink (rear)

velotel
11-21-2013, 11:41 AM
I ride my Paves at 90/95 (I'm 145lbs) I would most likely to do the same with Conti's if I decide to keep them. BTW I can get a set of Paves for $95 delivered,the Conti's on sale around $80 delivered. Is $15 worth the upgrade?
Holy smokes they're expensive in the states! And I thought they were steep here. I pay, in dollars for you, about 51$ (38 euros) for the Pavés. Mine lasted a year and a half. Don't count my distance so don't know. Terrific tires. Actually still running a Pavé in front, switched to a Vittoria Open Corsa in back just to try it out but not sure I like it, but only for a dumb reason. I rather like the green stripe, plural for the new Pavés apparently. I ran the 4000 and as I recall loved it at first but seemed to lose its sweet cornering quickly and as I recall didn't last a year. Went flat in the center and really disrupted the cornering. The Pavé finally went flat in the center in back too but didn't affect the handling all that much oddly enough. For myself, I seem to be sold on Vittoria.

parallelfish
11-21-2013, 11:44 AM
If you ride the Conti's check the sidewalls on a regular basis.

That was clearly a problem with the Conti 3000 tires, and I stayed away from Conti for many years as a result.

I have been riding the 4000 for a couple of years now, and have had no sidewall issues.

biker72
11-21-2013, 11:45 AM
I have the GP 4 Season version on all 3 bikes. Very nice tires.
I run them around 100 psi.

pdmtong
11-21-2013, 12:11 PM
Ari got me on to my Pave's and I do like them. I am 172 and run them at 95psi

Truth is the green colour goes nicely with that bike, not so much with the other bikes so they get contis. one thing about the contis...I seldom if ever flat with them. they wear forever.

slave to fashion and air down.

the bikes are comfortable anyways, so this is a matter of road feel preference.

Tokeat
11-22-2013, 01:39 AM
Tried the pave but had a stroke of back luck with them. GP 4000 were just ok. Corsa SR (tubular or open) is now my go to tire. Well worth a try.

oldpotatoe
11-22-2013, 08:05 AM
I love vittoria pave's, been my favorite for the last 10 years. I recently picked up a set of the Cont. GP4000s after reading and hearing great things about them. My question to those who have experience with both tires,should I mount the GP's or sell them and pick up another pair of Paves for $14 more?
The Continental's just don't have that quality hand made look when compared to Vittoria or Veloflex but if they ride as nice as Pave's I'll overlook the looks.

Ride 'em, then instead of some subjective comment here, you'll know. You have them, after all.

I prefer Vittoria to anything else, btw, IMHO, etc.

But I think Open Corsa and Conti 4000s more apples to apples.

Raffy
11-22-2013, 08:18 AM
BTW I can get a set of Paves for $95 delivered,the Conti's on sale around $80 delivered. Is $15 worth the upgrade?

Can you please share where you can get Pave's for $95/pr? Are these the 320tpi, Green sidewall version?

katematt
11-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Let alone the fact that on certain wheels the 4000's take an act of god to put on for a flat change. Paves are much easier, IMHO worth the money for this reason plus the ride is sublime.

AngryScientist
11-22-2013, 08:54 AM
Can you please share where you can get Pave's for $95/pr? Are these the 320tpi, Green sidewall version?

$95 shipped is pretty much the going rate for pave's on ebay. just open ebay, do a search for "vittoria open pave" - boom.

Raffy
11-22-2013, 09:08 AM
$95 shipped is pretty much the going rate for pave's on ebay. just open ebay, do a search for "vittoria open pave" - boom.

Thanks, looking for one of these though. The 25c version with Green sides. I grabbed a pair from Ribble, the rear got cut within 300 miles, grabbed a 2nd single from Art's which got a sidewall cut within 500 miles and I'm now stuck with a single :(

bobswire
11-22-2013, 09:50 AM

The ones I'm talking about are the green stripe down the middle.http://www.ebay.com/itm/271207488715
I have a set now on a Merckx Strada http://i42.tinypic.com/11ju4gg.jpgI've been nursing for over 4 years (the tires not the bike) and love them. I switch wheels every so often so my tires seem to last longer ( if only because I don't ride them until they are totally worn).
My everyday tires are Vittoria Rubino Pro, great all around tire for urban riding in San Francisco and work fine for short stints through hard pack/gravel too (as seen here on the Merckx Corsa Extra).

http://i44.tinypic.com/29m7ss0.jpg

This is a gravel and hard pack ride I use on some of the inner roads in the Presido, mainly used by workers or general public for walking or riding. I don't see many walkers or riders since I ventured by exploring and found many such roads here in the Presidio and GG Park as well.

http://i44.tinypic.com/5p4v1j.jpg

tv_vt
11-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Both great tires. The 23 Conti is on the larger end of range for size. I like em both, along with the Vittoria Corsa in both 23 and 25 size. Wish there were colors in the Corsa 25 size.

Never cut a tread in a Conti, although I've cut the sidewalls a few times. My mileage with the Vittoria tires has been really good, compared to other comments I've seen. Surprisingly durable and nice riding tires.

velotel
11-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Regarding flats my history with the Vittorias is a bit droll. Had Rubino Pros, decided when they were ready to be replaced to try the Pavés. Mounted them up before my trip to Switzerland back in the summer of 012. Went for a spin to check them out, got a flat. I was like, you're kidding me, is this how it's going to be with them! Rode them for around a year and a half, only one other flat. Decided to try the new Open Corsas. Ordered them then left them in the box for quite some time because the Pavés were going so well. Finally decided the back tire needed to go. Put on the a Corsa with a new tube. Took it for a spin. Got a flat! Since then, nothing. Nice riding tire though I really need to put the front one to know since that's the one taking me into the turns. Maybe I'll go another year and a half without a flat having gotten that out of the way right from the get go again.

HugoBear
11-22-2013, 10:26 AM

Good points. I have run 4000's almost for all my bikes and love them. I feel like they get less flats and I have never had sidewall problems.

pdmtong
11-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Good points. I have run 4000's almost for all my bikes and love them. I feel like they get less flats and I have never had sidewall problems.

i used to run them hard but after talking to the conti rep at sea otter years ago aired them down per his rec. much much nicer AND still no flats

d6025k
11-22-2013, 04:08 PM
I would highly recogmend giving Conti's a shot. I prefer Vittoria myself but have ridden Conti's enough to know why. Considering you already have the tires, just throw them on. This isnt a forever decision.

bobswire
11-22-2013, 05:47 PM
I would highly recogmend giving Conti's a shot. I prefer Vittoria myself but have ridden Conti's enough to know why. Considering you already have the tires, just throw them on. This isnt a forever decision.

Too true but when you get to be my age any decision could be your last , thus forever. ;)

Tim Porter
11-22-2013, 05:51 PM
I've ridden a fair number of miles on Contis but have become a real Vittoria fan over the last two years and approx 9,000 miles (though I admit having a new soft spot for Veloflex Arenbergs tubulars lately). I'm about to put these Joe Young wheels back on my Kirk with the 27mm Paves. A couple years ago, it was interesting to watch the development of new tires at Vitt. Models would disappear, change size--interesting slow motion development cycle if you paid attention every year. I've found that they've really got some sweet tires now--25 and 27 Paves, the CX in various sizes, the SC in 25 is a remarkable tire in both open and tubular, and the new SR is pretty cool, too. There was a bit of knock on them for being slippery in the wet, but I feel that's been remedied in the latest iterations, IMHO.

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a583/porterphoto1/file_zps70289878.jpg (http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/porterphoto1/media/file_zps70289878.jpg.html)

d6025k
11-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Too true but when you get to be my age any decision could be your last , thus forever. ;)

WHOA! Your right, no need to ride junk if you dont have to!

Looks like most the thread is leaning toward Vittoria's. FWIW I have found the size, model, name inconsistency from Vittoria quite a turn off, although I too prefer their ride.

lhuerta
11-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Life is too short....stick with the Vitts and go out and feel ur ride. Pair em up with latex tubes and dbl the fun.lou

tsampson
11-23-2013, 07:06 AM
i would run the contis, not because they are nicer, but because you have them. Run them, when they wear out you can get which one you like more. Tires don't last a long time anyways. Although, the pave's should be in another league

Seramount
11-23-2013, 09:56 AM
so, do the Vittoria Paves come in just plain black...?

no way I'm putting a nasty green-striped tire on...