PDA

View Full Version : Does agility training have a place in a cyclist's program?

MattTuck
11-20-2013, 12:45 PM
We have a lot of threads on strength training, flexibility and actually riding your bike as ways to improve your performance and comfort on the bike.

I'm curious what you guys think about agility training. The kind of stuff you see football/soccer/basketball/etc. teams doing. Lots of cuts, changes of direction, focus on balance in motion, etc.

Being on the bike is probably more like strength training and static flexibility exercises where the core is being held stable, but I wonder if agility has any place or has any benefit for cyclists.

EDS
11-20-2013, 12:59 PM
We have a lot of threads on strength training, flexibility and actually riding your bike as ways to improve your performance and comfort on the bike.

I'm curious what you guys think about agility training. The kind of stuff you see football/soccer/basketball/etc. teams doing. Lots of cuts, changes of direction, focus on balance in motion, etc.

Being on the bike is probably more like strength training and static flexibility exercises where the core is being held stable, but I wonder if agility has any place or has any benefit for cyclists.

If you are just looking to stay fit sure, but if you are looking for an on-the-bike benefit you are probably better off just doing a few cyclocross races or some mountainbiking.

benb
11-20-2013, 01:18 PM
A lot of the "cuts" and plyometrics and stuff is really injury prone if not done carefully and probably has little benefit on the bike.

What might be useful (it is for me) is doing some of the balance type drills that PTs recommend.. that can be useful for injury prevention.

E.x.

Squats on a balance board/ball
Various lateral Hip exercises on a balance ball/pad
The "slide pad" exercise or whatever it is called.

etc, etc.. biking is all "forward" which seems to contribute to all kinds of issues we get with flexibility/balance, etc..

If those count as agility stuff maybe I'm a believer.

enr1co
11-20-2013, 01:25 PM
If the agility training includes rolling or tumbling, it would be beneficial.

To be able to train you body to naturally roll or tumble could help minimize impact to bones and skin loss during a fall or crash.

christian
11-20-2013, 01:44 PM
If you're a Sheltie, yes.

John H.
11-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Depends on the cyclist.
If they lack agility and do not have a sports background in sports that require dynamic movement it could be helpful.
But like others have mentioned, I would stick to exercises on a balance board, sliding board, bosu ball, etc.
Hard sprinting, jumping, side to side type stuff invites injury. Be careful if you go this route. Maybe work with a trainer or well supervised crossfit class.
A proper crossfit instructor should understand your goals and not give you a bunch of stuff that can hurt you.
Many corner and descend poorly just because their balance is poor. Work like this could help.
It does not take much balance or coordination to pedal a bike. Many can pedal a bike but they struggle to look to the side or reach back into a jersey pocket.

GScot
11-20-2013, 02:56 PM
I started running with a dog a couple of years ago. One of our routes is more of hike up a rocky mountain. That and switching to minimal shoes I believe has improved my balance and strengthened muscles used to recover in the event things are going out of control. I can't say my on bike agility has changed but everywhere else it has improved noticeably. (disclaimer is that the added exercise has removed probably 10 pounds and that has to help)

Matt-H
11-20-2013, 03:25 PM
My coach totally has me going faster through tubes and stuff. Isn't helping my climbing, though.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7316/8732543529_df424b7716.jpg

the bottle ride
11-20-2013, 03:56 PM
I think it depends:

I was with a less than understanding lady for many years when it came to my bike purchases- agility was key, as she liked to throw things.

christian
11-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Winner, winner, chicken dinner. [/thread]

spartanKid
11-20-2013, 04:07 PM
plyometrics and explosiveness training will definitely help if you're of the sprinter or trackie type, but not sure how much it helps you finish a Fondo.

one60
11-20-2013, 10:24 PM
I've noticed some benefits in surprisingly short time (YMMV)...

1. much more enjoyable than most core workouts which translates to consistency of use

2. my core is strength is improved & any lower back discomfort is gone

3. sprinting (explosive power) is improved as is my ability to recover & repeat

4. the results (real or imagined) haven't required large sets or reps or daily workouts.

For me, particularly at my age, I find the workouts provide results well in excess of the effort required. Really all one can hope for from an exercise regimen.

Start simple & add more/different exercises as you progress. If certain movements cause joint pain eliminate them from the routine until your body adjusts & try reintroducing them later

HenryA
11-20-2013, 11:44 PM
I'll say it would be beneficial in that it will make up for the things that you do not do so much while riding. Its pretty important not to >>just<< ride. You end up out of balance physically. And then, sooner or later, things go bad.

gemship
11-21-2013, 02:50 PM
I think it depends:

I was with a less than understanding lady for many years when it came to my bike purchases- agility was key, as she liked to throw things.

Logged in just to say that was funny!:hello:

My contribution to this thread... I started commercial clamming 11 weeks ago and going strong. It's my gig. So up until that point my cycling was my only real activity besides occasional yard work and living life. Clamming is incredibly hard for so many reasons but I must say it has really strengthened my arms and back where cycling didn't do squat. I noticed that I can do things like sustained rides on my crotch rocket or in the drops of a racing bicycle with much less stress and more strength/intensity.

parco
11-22-2013, 01:36 PM
I think training on learning how to fall is beneficial. I was on a charity ride once and one guy who was riding in the group I was in attempted a trackstand while we were at a red light. He couldn't maintain it and he went down. The way he went down was very interesting, he sort of ... rolled down and then he got right up as if nothing had happened. He wasn't hurt a bit.

redir
11-22-2013, 01:40 PM
My coach totally has me going faster through tubes and stuff. Isn't helping my climbing, though.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7316/8732543529_df424b7716.jpg

Beautiful.