PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone bought Brooks bar tape lately?

dirtdigger88
01-18-2006, 04:49 PM
the reason I ask is that I just got in another box of it since I am swapping out my bars and I wasnt sure how the tape would re- rap-

remember when I showed what I did to the bar plugs

HERE (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=12187&highlight=bar+plugs)

the newest box of tape I got does not have the "Brooks" plugs- the are a plainer looking plug with the letter "K" on it and two dots on the left side-

I have email the shop where I got the tape at to ask if thats the plugs that should have been in there- I also email Brooks to ask-

Im wondering if someone didnt help themselves to the Brooks plugs out of the box-

Jason

dirtdigger88
01-18-2006, 04:58 PM
spoke to Harris- they looked at their stock- it looks like they have boxes of the bar tape with both-

the plugs are Fiziks plugs which is the same company as brooks now-

I am trying to work this out- but watch out it you order some yourself

Jason

vandeda
01-18-2006, 05:03 PM
Jason,

Thanks for the headsup .... I just bought some late last week. I expect to receive it sometime later this week or early next week.

Hopefully the plugs will say "Brooks" on them ;)

Oh ... good work on painting them ... that'll definitely be on the list of things to do :banana:

Dan

manet
01-18-2006, 05:09 PM
http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=wool+tires&word2=carbon+chain

dirtdigger88
01-18-2006, 05:12 PM
I just spoke to Dave Hostetter (the importer) who ironicly only lives 2 hours from me- Dave is working on getting some of the correct plugs for me

It looks like what Harris said is true- Brooks ran out of the "Brooks" plugs at one point and substituted Fizique plugs for a time- the bigger problem is that Harris found one box with one of each- oups!!!!

Jason

dirtdigger88
01-18-2006, 05:14 PM
yo manet

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=spank+me&word2=tie+me+up

Jason

inGobwetrust
01-18-2006, 05:27 PM
I just wrapped the bars on my 'cross bike with the honey Brooks leather wrap and got Brooks plugs. I also got mine from Harris Cyclery but didn't do it by mail-they're about a half mile from my house.

vandeda
01-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Well Jason ... I just received my bar tape ... and I have no plugs at all. So, looks like I gotta call them to get plugs period. I guess I can say at least I didn't get the wrong ones :banana:

Oh well ... no big rush since I doubt the Vanilla will be ridden for awhile anyway since our roads are riddled with salt ...

Dan

dirtdigger88
01-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Dave Hostetter
Phone: 618-392-2528
Toll Free: 877-288-4004
Fax: 618-392-2543
Mobile 618-843-7078
davehoss@intergate.com

call Dave- he is a real cool guy- he is the US importer for Brooks goods- he has a whole bag of the proper plugs on order-

Jason

pale scotsman
01-20-2006, 04:03 PM
So Jason, how's the tape holding up?

dirtdigger88
01-20-2006, 04:09 PM
I think well-

I will say that the first day the tape went on it was the same color as my saddle- now the tape is a duller finish- think old tennis raquets-

but the tape is very durable- I even pulled it off and re taped my new bars- and you cant even tell I did it-

I still contend that I will have to change this tape in a years time- I think it will be trashed out by then- but then again I dont know- I have leather work boots that are very old that I have taken good care of- they still look very good- so who knows-

I did coat the tape with a leather treatment I use on my Red Wing boots- it is a normal Red Wing brand leather conditioner- it make my boots very water proof for several months- I figured it couldnt hurt on the bars

I have stopped using gloves- unless its cold- the tape just feels that good in your hands-

thats my leather kink side coming out- I think

Jason

H.Frank Beshear
01-20-2006, 05:26 PM
I'll be glad if it last a year I usually retape every spring anyway. I let you know how the black looks. It'll match the b-17 I 'm going to use. I have plenty of time for the plug situation to be resolved before I need it :rolleyes: Oh well. Frank