PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a helmet cover?

Kirk007
11-19-2013, 08:59 PM
I've used a lot of cycling caps - cotton, coated cotton, wool, synthetic - they all get soaked, either from water or sweat or a combination in Seattle winter riding. It's fine unless you stop or as I'm contemplating, an hour commute in the morning and the evening. For along time I've just carried a dry cap, but I'm wondering about helmet covers. Any experiences to share? Thanks!

cfox
11-19-2013, 09:03 PM
I have a Lazer Genesis helmet, and Lazer makes a $20 plastic cover that snaps over the top. It's great this time of year; warm and waterproof.

Louis
11-19-2013, 09:16 PM
I have one (can't remember the brand for sure, probably Louis Garneau) and it's fine. Does what it's supposed to do. But you only need it at pretty low temps.

Last time I upgraded my helmet I kept my old one and put the cover on that, and just keep it for really cold rides. It doesn't get as much use as it should.

regularguy412
11-19-2013, 09:24 PM
I have one. I like it for all the reasons you stated: doesn't get wet, blocks wind, etc. It's lycra/Goretex. I still have to wear something over my ears, but I don't use a balaclava. It will still let some air in around the bottom side of the helmet for a little ventilation.

It's OK. Nothing really helps me much when it's really cold. I'll still sweat and then the sweat gets cold. At least my head is not wearing a saturated article of clothing. To me, it's better than a cycling cap under helmet.

Mike in AR :beer:

SlackMan
11-19-2013, 09:35 PM
I used a Specialized Lycra/Gore Tex stretch cover for many years. Works perfectly to keep out rain or snow while still maintaining breathability. After moving south, I hadn't used it for awhile, but I broke it out last weekend for a rainy day ride. I still think it's great and is highly recommended.

thwart
11-19-2013, 10:02 PM
I did the Sheldon Brown recommended 'packing tape over the front vents' thing for a few yrs, but the adhesive left behind in the spring… :crap:

Speaks for a dedicated winter helmet.

carpediemracing
11-20-2013, 05:57 AM
I use electrical tape if I can. It comes off easily and it stretches a bit. Easy to trim also.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TbmplkIYLx8/R_pY75EMrTI/AAAAAAAAAg0/2aSfyJYaWo4/s800/Aki_20080406_attack_photo-Bob-Griffith.jpg
Although it was a cool day in that picture it wasn't "cold". I forgot my knickers else I'd have been wearing them.

I also have a cover but I like the idea of taping or untaping various vents.

I bought a "less ventilated" helmet for cool weather but it ends up that the helmet is sized differently (Bell Muni, vs the Bell Gage and something else that I have from Bell). Ironically it's so tight I can't wear anything underneath the helmet.

I'm considering a ski/snowboard helmet with vents you can open/close. I think they pass the same CPSC tests the bike helmets pass.

likebikes
11-20-2013, 06:04 AM
try a shower cap for a quick n dirty version.

AngryScientist
11-20-2013, 06:10 AM
absolutely. my helmet cover goes on right about this time of year and generally doesnt come off till spring.

one of the major selling points of modern helmets is how much airflow they allow through to cool the noggin, exactly what you dont want in the cold temps.

i've got a stretchy inexpensive one that fits the helmet snugly and works great.

danielpack22@ma
11-20-2013, 07:04 AM
I use the Louis Garneau model with reflective accents. On long rides I get condensation on the underside of the cover, but it still makes a world of difference in improving comfort - especially if it starts raining.

teleguy57
11-20-2013, 08:03 AM
This thread reminds me that I have a Sugoi fabric cover somewhere. IIRC I didn't use it for rain as I got too sweaty, but don't think I tried in in cold/windy conditions. Need to pull it out, go for a ride and give a report.

xjoex
11-20-2013, 10:51 AM
If it really ,really cold I use a Jandd Helmet cover
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2010/03/review-jandd-helmet-cover.html
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Jz4f840sc_c/S52RuVlMLfI/AAAAAAAACfY/dUdnRZxyy4Y/s700/IMGP1428.jpg
It is great to keep rain and cold out.

-Joe

fiamme red
11-20-2013, 11:50 AM
I've used a lot of cycling caps - cotton, coated cotton, wool, synthetic - they all get soaked, either from water or sweat or a combination in Seattle winter riding. It's fine unless you stop or as I'm contemplating, an hour commute in the morning and the evening. For along time I've just carried a dry cap, but I'm wondering about helmet covers. Any experiences to share? Thanks!Get the Rapha silk helmet cover. Best helmet cover ever.

rwsaunders
11-20-2013, 04:25 PM
I did the Sheldon Brown recommended 'packing tape over the front vents' thing for a few yrs, but the adhesive left behind in the spring… :crap:

Speaks for a dedicated winter helmet.

Ditto...I just put it on the front vents and remove it in warmer weather.

teleguy57
11-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Back from my 38F and 12-15 mph 2-hour ride with my Sugoi cover -- or rather, back without the cover.

The elastic was little aged when I put the cover on, but I figured it would be OK. Work a Smartwool balaclava underneath the helmet to keep the carotids warm. Felt comfy going out perpedicular to the wind. At 30 min in I turned into the wind; felt like I'd like another windbock layer on the forehead but otherwise good. About 90 min in for some reason I reached up to my helmet and found.... no cover on. The front edge must have slipped up and with the wind the cover must have gotten caught and slipped off without my knowing it. Crap....

Now I have to decide how to go forward. One option is to go with my Giro 9 ski helmet for the really cold rides....

Think I'll start by re-reading this thread from the start:)

Kirk007
11-20-2013, 07:07 PM
Get the Rapha silk helmet cover. Best helmet cover ever.

eh, they ran out of the hi-viz pink ones so it wouldn't match my hi-viz gilet.