PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear a watch when you ride?

Shortsocks
11-19-2013, 08:15 PM
So tonight I was riding, and it's getting darker and colder in Dallas. And I Tend to look more at my watch....to see how it's gotten so dark so quickly.:confused:

I starting paying more attention to people around me, recently and people here wear anything from Rolexs, Tags, G-Shocks, Suunto's (what I wear).....
Even though I have the time on one of my garmin screens I generally don't change screens to look at it, always look down at my watch.

I was looking at getting a new watch as of recent, but I was wondering what the paceline folk use.

What do you guys/gals wear watch wise when you ride if anything at all?

1centaur
11-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Hey, I didn't pay $5 a gram to reduce my bike's weight to put 250gms back on my wrist!

Vientomas
11-19-2013, 08:21 PM
No watch at any time.

Shortsocks
11-19-2013, 08:22 PM
Hey, I didn't pay $5 a gram to reduce my bike's weight to put 250gms back on my wrist!

Even an "Aero" watch? The benefits out way the weight....and it has dimples.

SlackMan
11-19-2013, 08:24 PM
I have my everyday watch away for service, and it's been about seven weeks. I used to joke that terrorists could kidnap me and lock me in a room, but if they took my watch it would be "game over" for them because I was so obsessed with knowing the time. But with my watch away for service, I am starting to get used to not wearing a watch all of the time. And that has allowed me to ride without a watch so that I am now thinking of forgoing wearing a watch on rides and just relying on the cycling computer for the time. All in all, I kind of like not being so tied to the time.

Ralph
11-19-2013, 08:29 PM
No....I use my phone for time. I sweat too much in warm weather to wear a watch. Would ruin it pretty fast.

AngryScientist
11-19-2013, 08:31 PM
submariner for everything but running and riding. suunto core when on the bike. timex ironman for running.

Ken Robb
11-19-2013, 08:31 PM
My ti Seiko is always on my wrist except in the shower. It is amazing as its quartz movement keeps perfect time and it knows and adjusts for the number of days in each month and even adjusts for leap years. I have no idea how it does that. Waterproof to 100 meters. I have only tested it to 10 meters. In 10 years I have replaced the battery twice but they cost about $50 installed not the $4-10 of most watch batteries.

scooter
11-19-2013, 08:52 PM
I stopped wearing a watch when I retired.

Llewellyn
11-19-2013, 08:54 PM
My cycle computer has a clock on it - works for me

Bradford
11-19-2013, 08:57 PM
I only wear a watch for my commute and for that I wear a Timex digital watch I bought on clearance.

No watch for other rides unless it is a 4 hour plus rides and I plan to stop. Then I wear the Timex.

Jack Brunk
11-19-2013, 09:30 PM
for riding and running. Suunto makes a terrific line of watches for a bunch of different outdoor activities.

thirdgenbird
11-19-2013, 09:33 PM
Nope.

I wear a citizen nighthawk for everything but sleeping, riding, and showering.

Peter P.
11-19-2013, 09:37 PM
On the wrist I wear a Timex Expedition (analog). I bought the analog watch when I could no longer read a digital watch, including my bike computer's readout, without glasses.

I now wear prescription bifocals so I can leave the watch at home when I ride.

choke
11-19-2013, 09:44 PM
I feel almost naked without a watch. Sometimes it may be a Polar HR model, sometimes something much nicer.

Shortsocks
11-19-2013, 09:50 PM
for riding and running. Suunto makes a terrific line of watches for a bunch of different outdoor activities.

Ive had 3 diffrent Model Suunto's over the years. Currently a T3C, but They eat up batteries like crazy, and Ive had to replace Straps in all of them at least twice. Still buy them though. Great looking watches, and extremely comfortable.

I tried the Ambit, but it was just too oddly shaped (where the GPS receiver is) on the strap...but I had a great deal on one I had to pass up.

DarkStar
11-19-2013, 10:01 PM
Wear a watch on the work commute, can't be late. Weekend rides no watch, heavy GMT.:banana:

Seramount
11-19-2013, 10:09 PM
I have absolutely no need for a watch...on or off the bike.

clocks are everywhere...my bike computer has one and there's 7 others in various electronic devices in the house...

bloody sunday
11-19-2013, 11:30 PM
I wear a watch most of the time, except when I shower and sleep.

I feel naked without it. Right now I only wear this one:
http://i40.tinypic.com/5yap7n.jpg

but wanting to get this:
http://i.imgur.com/2vTV91j.jpg

Elefantino
11-19-2013, 11:30 PM
Yes. Habit.

cachagua
11-19-2013, 11:34 PM
Used to wear a watch. Kind of a nice one. Crashed one day. Wrecked the watch, and mangled my wrist pretty good too. Never again.

Anyway -- part of riding is not needing to know what time it is!

parris
11-19-2013, 11:36 PM
I always wear a watch when riding. Generally it's an inexpensive Invicta automatic. No computer on the bike as I tended to look at "stuff" way more than needed.

don compton
11-20-2013, 12:10 AM
While riding a 21lb Rivendell Roadeo, why would I worry about the weight of my Rolex Presidential? :banana:

slidey
11-20-2013, 12:19 AM
Used to wear a watch. Stopped wearing it altogether once I started riding (to avoid the watch banging against my bony wrist) - don't miss it at all.

bikemoore
11-20-2013, 12:22 AM
I always wear a watch when riding. In fact, a watch is my only measurement device when riding. Haven't used a cycle computer or heart rate monitor in many years. My only performance parameters are: 1) what time did I leave? 2) what time do I need to be home? 3) what time is it now? and 4) what time do I think I will actually arrive home? I need a watch to determine those things (Timex Ironman).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jlwdm
11-20-2013, 01:39 AM
I have a bunch of watches, but none that would be appropriate for riding. Never look at the bike computer clock screen either. Use phone for time.

Jeff

aramis
11-20-2013, 02:23 AM
I tried wearing a watch when I was 10-12 years old (digital and calculator watches were cool then). Didn't like wearing watches then, and don't like them now. On the rare occasion I need to know what time it is when I'm riding I can look at the phone or garmin for the time.

Javaman
11-20-2013, 03:06 AM
I wear a cheapo 7 year old Casio watch. I'm part of the minority group that do not use a computer on a bike.

PQJ
11-20-2013, 03:35 AM
Sometimes. With the ubiquity of cellphones, wristwatches are completely superfluous. My brother is a collector of 'fine' watches and is constantly ogling over them. He once told me my bike was overpriced and a waste of money. I laughed and pointed out to him that's a rich comment coming from a guy who spent $10k on a wristwatch that does nothing but tell time and requires him to wind it every other day for it to continue doing so. Still love him, though.

(To bloodysunday in re: Suunto Core --- great timepiece; it's all that I wear. And unlike, say, a Panerai, it does a whole lot more than tell time and doesn't need to be wound!)

witcombusa
11-20-2013, 04:42 AM
I don't even own a watch...

CNY rider
11-20-2013, 06:29 AM
I don't even own a watch...

Ditto. (There is probably one stuck in a drawer somewhere that I have forgotten about).
No cycling computer either.
Love my little taste of freedom.

phcollard
11-20-2013, 06:57 AM
Not until Rapha makes one!

danielpack22@ma
11-20-2013, 06:58 AM
Because I have NO concept of time, I'm time/watch obsessed. If I don't have a watch on, I have no clue as to the time. No real preference on which watch I ride in. Typically it's just whatever I happened to have on before the ride. These days that's usually a Heuer Aquaracer, an Omega Speedmaster, or a Hamilton Khaki.

oldpotatoe
11-20-2013, 07:22 AM
So tonight I was riding, and it's getting darker and colder in Dallas. And I Tend to look more at my watch....to see how it's gotten so dark so quickly.:confused:

I starting paying more attention to people around me, recently and people here wear anything from Rolexs, Tags, G-Shocks, Suunto's (what I wear).....
Even though I have the time on one of my garmin screens I generally don't change screens to look at it, always look down at my watch.

I was looking at getting a new watch as of recent, but I was wondering what the paceline folk use.

Before retirement, titanium Citizen, the one that is solar powered thru the face, rubber watchband,pretty keen, leave the Rolex at home..AR(After Retirement)-don't wear one. Who cares what time it is?

I look at the clock when I start and when I return, to see how long.

sg8357
11-20-2013, 07:30 AM
Need a watch for night rides, ride leader is always checking time to the bingo point. Got to get back before the battery lights go out.

jr59
11-20-2013, 07:38 AM
Of course I wear a watch when I ride. Normally it's a Omega Seamaster pro on a nato type strap. Sometimes a rolex, or others. But mostly the seamster.

I want to know what time it is. The display on my computer is to small and I won't stop to look at my phone.

oldpotatoe
11-20-2013, 07:39 AM
Need a watch for night rides, ride leader is always checking time to the bingo point. Got to get back before the battery lights go out.

Ya gotta tell me why you used that term...

-Retired Phantom Phyler

crownjewelwl
11-20-2013, 07:51 AM
ambit2 for me...if you do other thing besides cycling you can keep track of all your activities...

i have a garmin on my bike too...and it is interesting how i get different results...just sayin'

sitzmark
11-20-2013, 08:14 AM
No watch.
Have current time and ride time displayed on primary screen of Garmin. Sunset on secondary screen. This time of year I check sunset before setting out, then plan/manage ride accordingly by glancing at current time as I go.

Suppose if I monitored other activities - skiing, running, swimming, workouts, etc - with a device, then I might gravitate to a "watch" rather than cycle computer. But the only activity I track is cycling.

sitzmark
11-20-2013, 08:23 AM
Of course I wear a watch when I ride. Normally it's a Omega Seamaster pro on a nato type strap. Sometimes a rolex, or others. But mostly the seamster.

I want to know what time it is. The display on my computer is to small and I won't stop to look at my phone.

Good luck with that. A work colleague used to wear his gold Rolo President everywhere he went many years ago. Stopped off in a convenience store for coffee - as he left two guys followed him and shot him from behind not far from the store. Hit him in the shoulder - didn't kill him. He figured they wanted the watch so he took it off and dropped it, then played dead. They took the watch and left him. He called 911 and survived - luckily.

gavingould
11-20-2013, 08:28 AM
i only wear a watch when heading to the office or a client site. occasionally when out on the town, but never just around the house or on the bike. already have way too many things.

benb
11-20-2013, 08:39 AM
I wear a watch almost all the time. I can check the time & date and be done before I could even get the smartphone out of my pocket.

I don't wear it riding other than commuting though.. The only watch I have is a Ti citizen, it is almost invincible but the bracelet has worn over the years (just like chain stretch) and it will jingle when I go over rough road while riding. It annoys me, and when riding it is way easier to just check the time on the cyclecomputer. I have toyed with the idea of getting a leather band for it but then I assume the leather band will fall apart every few years and be a PITA. I wear a RoadID most of the time when riding instead of a watch.

jr59
11-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Good luck with that. A work colleague used to wear his gold Rolo President everywhere he went many years ago. Stopped off in a convenience store for coffee - as he left two guys followed him and shot him from behind not far from the store. Hit him in the shoulder - didn't kill him. He figured they wanted the watch so he took it off and dropped it, then played dead. They took the watch and left him. He called 911 and survived - luckily.

Sorry about your fried loss.

BUT, I WILL NEVER let what MAY happen to me effect what kind of watch I wear. That's like saying, don't ride a bike, because you might get hit by a car. Besides there are so many fakes out there that 90% of the high end watches you see being worn are fake.

But the point remains, that letting the bad guys effect you with what might happen is at least IMO silly. How do you live, in a armed fortress? Do you leave the house with any ID? a money card? What about your wife at home? I will never let the bad guys win! I won't live my life as a scared person.

YMMV

jmoore
11-20-2013, 08:45 AM
I have a Timex Ironman on my bars. I like to keep track or elapsed ride time and it reminds me to drink every 10 minutes while I ride.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

FlashUNC
11-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Used to. Didn't like the tan line it left behind. I'm now watchless again.

azrider
11-20-2013, 08:58 AM
when on the bike, golfing, or casual

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mkoA98C4cXns-uX9uiZHG9w.jpg

zap
11-20-2013, 09:25 AM
No.

sitzmark
11-20-2013, 10:22 AM
I take what I consider to be appropriate precautions for safety - actually quite modest compared with many I know. My home and cars are security protected and that's about it. I grew up in neighborhoods where some properties were walled and gated. Some friends and colleagues carry weapons 24/7. One former colleague in Puerto Rico is having his private vehicles armored and his business gated after a few of his peers were kidnapped and/or murdered. A colleague in Columbia did so a long time ago. They wear their wealth conspicuously and apparently feel threatened. My wealth is nowhere near that substantial, nor my fear that great that I would consider such protection.

I am not a jewelry person, but have always been intrigued by watches - especially mechanicals. Most of mine haven't been worn in years, as I've used my cell phone for 20+ years for that. Watches became redundant as a tool for me. My approach to watches was similar to clothing - whatever was appropriate for the occasion, which is obviously very subjective.

The "watch incident" happened 15+ years ago when expensive watches (and fakes) were less ubiquitous than they are now. Or, at least when fakes were easily differentiated by sweep hand, bracelet and link attachment, etc.

Shouldn't have brought it up. Carry on.

Sorry about your fried loss.

BUT, I WILL NEVER let what MAY happen to me effect what kind of watch I wear. That's like saying, don't ride a bike, because you might get hit by a car. Besides there are so many fakes out there that 90% of the high end watches you see being worn are fake.

But the point remains, that letting the bad guys effect you with what might happen is at least IMO silly. How do you live, in a armed fortress? Do you leave the house with any ID? a money card? What about your wife at home? I will never let the bad guys win! I won't live my life as a scared person.

YMMV

skijoring
11-20-2013, 10:34 AM
It's not a watch; it's a man bracelet!

C'mon Braceline, you're slipping.

CaliFly
11-20-2013, 10:39 AM

Just reminded me of my SMP. I handed mine off to my wife years ago because I was more enamored with my Radiomir and GMT. She'd now rather wear some gaudy Michael Kors job.

Ima recall that sucker and slap a NATO strap on it just because of your post.

...then I'll wear it whilst I ride off into the sunset. :banana:

xjoex
11-20-2013, 10:47 AM
I wear a Reactor Trident Titanium quartz watch when I ride.
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2011/08/review-reactor-trident-titanium-watch.html

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-nhhBHgaNTcE/TkUqJ7RsTjI/AAAAAAAADpA/ZQswer-kIAk/s800/IMG_1073.JPG

I like having the bezel to time my rides but not get too much info i.e. heart rate and what not on a digital watch.

-Joe

fiamme red
11-20-2013, 10:48 AM
Yes, I only take off my watch in the shower.

Then again, I rarely ride with a cyclocomputer, and when I'm carrying my cell phone, it's in a plastic bag in my jersey pocket.

Eddy didn't use a computer or cell phone either. :)

http://www.velominati.com/wp-content/uploads/readers/frank/2011.11.13.17.06.30/Ciclismo%20-%20Campioni%20Eddy%20Merckx.jpg

AgilisMerlin
11-20-2013, 11:02 AM
i have Mallard's(watches), made in switzerland

http://en.vogue.fr/uploads/images/thumbs/201314/bucherer_paris_12_boulevard_des_capucines_montres_ 112782743_north_545x.1

my shop in purchasing

http://www.myswisstime.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/5305277130_2874d441a7_o1-e1379169927772.jpg

Ken Robb
11-20-2013, 11:09 AM
re:flashy expensive watches-I too had a friend robbed of his Rolex President at gunpoint at the entry to the Biltmore Hotel in LA. It can seem like wearing thousands of dollars in $100 bills as a pocket square to the bad guys.

ntb1001
11-20-2013, 11:12 AM
it's funny...I wore my Rolex on rides for years because I never took it off. Then one day I actually removed it before showering and I dropped it on a tile floor...it hit in such an angle that the sapphire crystal shattered....now, I take it off when i ride just in case...don't need that repair expense again

fiamme red
11-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Once I was mugged and the thief ripped the watch off my wrist. It must have looked expensive, but it was actually a $10 Casio. He dropped it and took off. :)

fuzzalow
11-20-2013, 11:30 AM
No, never have worn a watch when riding a bike; yes do wear a watch when riding a motorcycle.

True story: I came across and stopped to help a tri-guy on the road once who was struggling to change a tube for a puncture. In fairness, I recall the Michelin tire on his wheel as being ridiculously tight on the rim and very extremely difficult to get one bead off the rim. This guy rode while wearing a Rolex Datejust Two-Tone.

I recall glancing down at his watch, which tri-guy noticed, and smiled a self-congratulatory grin as reflective of what he thought was my admiration of his Rolex.

What I was really thinking ran along the lines of a pretentious dork who would ride with a non-sporting Rolex two-tone where the face was decked out in the hourly Roman numerals instead of the sticks.

Saint Vitus
11-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Yes and my tan line is beginning to show it lol

bloody sunday
11-20-2013, 11:56 AM
No, never have worn a watch when riding a bike; yes do wear a watch when riding a motorcycle.

True story: I came across and stopped to help a tri-guy on the road once who was struggling to change a tube for a puncture. In fairness, I recall the Michelin tire on his wheel as being ridiculously tight on the rim and very extremely difficult to get one bead off the rim. This guy rode while wearing a Rolex Datejust Two-Tone.

I recall glancing down at his watch, which tri-guy noticed, and smiled a self-congratulatory grin as reflective of what he thought was my admiration of his Rolex.

What I was really thinking ran along the lines of a pretentious dork who would ride with a non-sporting Rolex two-tone where the face was decked out in the hourly Roman numerals instead of the sticks.
a tri-guy would wear something like that :p

bloody sunday
11-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Ya gotta tell me why you used that term...

-Retired Phantom Phyler

those codes are only useful to those familiar with the nomenclature - otherwise you're spending more time explaining it when the purpose was to speed things up.

bloody sunday
11-20-2013, 12:04 PM
also, the F-4 has to be one of my favorite jets, ever. I've had an obsession with them for so many years. I would spend HOURS building models, and then pretend fly them around my house. Those were the days...

That and the F-14 were my boyhood lusts :beer:

CunegoFan
11-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Watches? Peoples still wear those things? It must be like wearing a fedora.

bloody sunday
11-20-2013, 12:17 PM

for me, it's a lot easier than pulling out my phone and pressing a button. I'm also a student, and professors don't like it when you look at your phone.

Shortsocks
11-20-2013, 12:19 PM

I wear a fedora. Jerk. :banana:

pdmtong
11-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Garmin 500 = no watch.

If you asked me do people wear watches I would have said no...but this thread proves once again how little I know

bloody sunday
11-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Garmin 500 = no watch.

If you asked me do people wear watches I would have said no...but this thread proves once again how little I know

I never really noticed who wears a watch around me. I've been wearing a watch since I was in elementary school - some days I forget it and I go out of my way to return home to retrieve it. It is that essential to my day-to-day.

and on the flip side, if I forget my phone, I probably won't bother getting it. I will just email people when I get to the office...

pdmtong
11-20-2013, 01:00 PM
I never really noticed who wears a watch around me. I've been wearing a watch since I was in elementary school - some days I forget it and I go out of my way to return home to retrieve it. It is that essential to my day-to-day.

and on the flip side, if I forget my phone, I probably won't bother getting it. I will just email people when I get to the office...

What surprises me is how many people are wearing regular watches..not some casio G-shock plastic thing.

I used to wear a casio when I windsurfed more, since it is helpful ot keep track of time and anticipate the wind dying off inside when you are way outside.

I know the time it takes me to do most routes, so having a time piece is not essential, but it is there on my garmin

mainly, I just don't like the weight on my wrist or the tan line.

and, as others have pointed out. sometimes riding without time or computer is really nice.

Germany_chris
11-20-2013, 01:04 PM
I have Seiko automatic dive watch that I've worn every day at all times for 10 years.

bloody sunday
11-20-2013, 01:05 PM
What surprises me is how many people are wearing regular watches..not some casio G-shock plastic thing.

I used to wear a casio when I windsurfed more, since it is helpful ot keep track of time and anticipate the wind dying off inside when you are way outside.

I know the time it takes me to do most routes, so having a time piece is not essential, but it is there on my garmin

mainly, I just don't like the weight on my wrist or the tan line.

and, as others have pointed out. sometimes riding without time or computer is really nice.

Yeah, if I'm not wearing my G-Shock, I'm wearing a simple Timex with a leather band.

I don't think I could ever wear a watch with a metal band, e.g., a Rolex or Omega.

And the wrist tan thing is like my short and jersey tan. I cultivate it with pride.

rePhil
11-20-2013, 01:11 PM
There was a time when knowing the time was important to my occupation.I started with a Seiko, but ended up with a Timex that I actually liked better as the tool it was intended to be. When I retired so did the watch.

biker72
11-20-2013, 01:14 PM
Generic Timex for cycling.

joosttx
11-20-2013, 01:25 PM
I normally dont wear a watch while cycling but when I do I choose a rolex.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8231/8586803226_dee15b6fc7_z.jpg

bloody sunday
11-20-2013, 01:35 PM

are you also wearing a cosby sweater? :p

Bkat
11-20-2013, 02:34 PM
I wear a watch all the time, except when I ride. Garmin tells me what I want to know. Oh, and I also wear a fedora...except when I ride. (The helmet messes up the felt hat.)

559Rando
11-20-2013, 02:56 PM
http://images.gs-cdn.net/static/users/120_31826.jpg

fuzzalow
11-20-2013, 03:59 PM

I hate to disappoint you, but just wearing a Rolex when riding does not make you a pretentious dork. To become that, you gotta brandish that watch to relative strangers and expect them to oooh and aah at it like wearing that watch is a big deal.

C'mon man, being a pretentious dork wearing a Rolex didn't come in the box with to the warranty cards, you gotta earn it! Style, it's all about attitude and how you wear it.

wc1934
11-20-2013, 07:21 PM
I always wear a watch.
Seiko and Tag for work, Garmin Forerunner for running (heart monitor and footpod), Garmin 200 on the bike along with Timex Ironman.

Louis
11-20-2013, 08:01 PM
I have a Core, which I bought for the altimeter function while riding, but it's HUGE and way too big to put on my wrist, so I removed the straps and it goes in my saddlebag. Works well.

It also has a "Time of sunrise and sunset" feature which is super-handy when deciding what late afternoon route to take.

but wanting to get this:
http://i.imgur.com/2vTV91j.jpg

Johnny P
11-20-2013, 08:27 PM
No watch.

Spoonito
11-20-2013, 08:42 PM
I'm almost always wearing a watch. When at work my dress watches get wrist time. Going out I usually have my sports / diver watches on. Running I use my Timex ironman triathlon. Also use this on the bike as it has the heart rate monitor and GPS. Military I use my G-Shock.

joev
11-20-2013, 10:27 PM
The best all-around watch I've found is a Swiss Army Renegade. First, its light. It has a nylon/plastic case. Second, the band is rubber. Sweat doesn't bother it. Third, bright green hands and numbers that can easily be read. At night, they glow. Fourth, its ANALOG. At the quickest of glances I can tell what time it is. Something about digital numbers that, for me, takes that extra spit second to process. I once had a digital watch and notices the difference immediately with the switch back to analog. Fifth, its black. I can wear it with a suit and it does not stand out. Sixth, it doesn't cost too much. Not as inexpensive as a Timex, but not at the level of a Rolex either. Lastly, it lasts. I've had this one for over 10 years and it has the faintest of scratches on the crystal but the case looks new. A couple of bands have been replaced and those are easy to find.

Elefantino
11-20-2013, 10:44 PM
There's only one worth wearing.

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mRgsqQzBu_p0J06JMgWNBQQ.jpg

CiclistiCliff
11-20-2013, 10:46 PM
There's only one worth wearing.

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mRgsqQzBu_p0J06JMgWNBQQ.jpg

The script matches your rain suit perfectly.

Louis
11-20-2013, 10:46 PM
Random comment:

I'm in no way a watch connoisseur, but every since I've gotten one with a sapphire crystal I've concluded that any watch I buy that I don't consider disposable really ought to have that type of crystal. In my experience hey age so much better than any of the other stuff I've used over the years.

Shortsocks
11-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Random comment:

I'm in no way a watch connoisseur, but every since I've gotten one with a sapphire crystal I've concluded that any watch I buy that I don't consider disposable really ought to have that type of crystal. In my experience hey age so much better than any of the other stuff I've used over the years.

I agree with you. A while back I bought a Luminox without a Sapphire Crystal, and it got scratched up pretty quickly. I quickly gave that my little brother, In the little Brother Program locally, and he appreciated the hell out of it. :)

Louis
11-21-2013, 01:43 AM
I quickly gave that my little brother, In the little Brother Program locally, and he appreciated the hell out of it. :)

When new those things are practically flashlights. I really like mine (and its sapphire crystal) and it still keeps great time.

Peter P.
11-21-2013, 06:22 AM
Years ago, I rode my bike to my company's annual picnic. It would be an 80 mile round trip.

The summer day was overcast and humid, temps in the high 70's.

I wore my helmet but not my gloves that day which is unusual because I didn't normally wear a helmet in those days because it was cooler. That day I left the gloves off to keep cool.

The outbound trip was uneventful and so was the return leg. Well, at least most of it was.

I'm about a mile from home on an straight, moderate downhill I've ridden hundreds of times. It's our town's literal "Main St.". My speed is between 20-25mph.

Up ahead I see a cat trying to cross the road but it keeps turning back due to traffic. At a distance and at first, I tap the brakes figuring it'll finally cross ahead of me. After a couple repeats of this (the entire event happened in maybe 10 seconds) I got tired of playing chicken and said "screw the cat; just keep going".

Wrong move.

The cat found its clear spot to cross as I was just about even with it, and it bolted across the street and right into-my front wheel.

Remember; I wasn't wearing gloves. I was however, wearing my Casio digital watch.

As I began to go down I remembered my gloveless state and thought, if I land on my palms my hands are gonna get pretty 'effed up. So as I fell I turned my palms up toward my chest and slid on the backsides of my forearms.

There was blood everywhere from my knuckles to my elbows. The sliding impact shaved my Casio watch down to 1/2 its thickness! The cat was nowhere to be found.

djg
11-21-2013, 07:01 AM

This is a terrible story, but I'm not sure what to make of it, besides the fact that there are some rotten vicious people in the world and anybody might -- on some likelihood -- wind up in the wrong place at the wrong time.

A really large, gold, bling Rolex might well attract some attention (maybe that's partly why folks buy such things), and I reckon that any serious bling jewelry might suggest that the wearer think about who is being shown what, and where. But even a gold Rolex, at 10 paces, looks a whole lot like countless gold-colored knock-offs, and millions of things look like a stainless explorer or date or whatever. I dunno . . . my little brother has a stainless Rolex date and it's a nice looking sportish-dress-passable watch up close, but not huge and not especially conspicuous at 2 meters.

I'm not really a WIS guy, much less a collector, but I've got a few watches. A seamster that was a gift from the folks long ago, a GP that I bought mint, but used, a Hamilton khaki automatic chrono diver that I like for a nice sort of beater-plus watch (got it for half-price -- no heirloom fantasies), and a Bertucci titanium quartz field watch that I got from the Clymb for 49 bucks -- goes backpacking, swimming, whatever -- it's more likely to come on a ride longer than the commute, but I'll wear anything but the GP with the lizard strap for the 8 mile ride to work. I lost my old Invicta automatic diver -- one from the generation before they decided that divers want an extra 16 pounds of ballast, all on one wrist, and cannot see numerals smaller than those used to post scores at Wrigley Field. Paid 110 bucks for that thing at a discount store. Nice watch for the money. I liked it. Up close, looking, you could tell it wasn't finished like the omega, much less the GP. Across a table or next guy in line at the 7-11? I think I got more compliments on that Invicta than on any other watch I've ever owned so I reckon that that's the one that's attracted the most attention.

I cannot provide any guarantees for myself, much less anybody else, and maybe I've been more lucky than sensible, but I'd say go ahead and wear a decent watch if you like that, and it's comfortable for you, and don't wear one if you don't want to wear one.

But to recognize sitzmark's story, maybe don't wear that big '90s p-diddy diamond encrusted gold rollie watch on that tour of "famous-places-in-Balmer-from-the-Wire" or on that whitewater trip in Georgia, with the guys, just before they dam-up that great wild river you love.

Lewis Moon
11-21-2013, 08:16 AM
Yes and no. I only think about it when I race.

joosttx
11-21-2013, 11:35 AM
I hate to disappoint you, but just wearing a Rolex when riding does not make you a pretentious dork. To become that, you gotta brandish that watch to relative strangers and expect them to oooh and aah at it like wearing that watch is a big deal.

C'mon man, being a pretentious dork wearing a Rolex didn't come in the box with to the warranty cards, you gotta earn it! Style, it's all about attitude and how you wear it.

Hey, I am an entomologist. That makes me a dork in spades. I am working on the pretenious part. Right now I would consider myself an ironic dork. My rollie was a gift/award. I rarely wear it unless its a wedding or an important business meeting where I do wear it as armour.

559Rando
11-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Random comment:

There's a lot of crystals in the gradient between sapphire and not sapphire. Seiko Hardlex is phenominal. I have a lot of living on my Seiko SKX013 (it was 10+ years old when I got it) and there's still no scratches on the crystal, but plenty on the case.

559Rando
11-21-2013, 12:21 PM
From Zugster Bags (http://www.zugsterbags.com/):

http://www.zugsterbags.com/images/1479.jpg (http://www.zugsterbags.com/products/rando-bag)

PapaGanoosh
11-21-2013, 12:34 PM
Usually wear a Seiko snk63 on shorter rides or commutes with a bond nato strap. Suede strap when I'm just out and about, similar to this:

http://wornandwound.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/SEIKO5_SNK809_WHOLE2.jpg

Louis
11-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Usually wear a Seiko snk63 on shorter rides or commutes with a bond nato strap.

Nice.

I got my NATO strap at http://www.crownandbuckle.com (http://www.crownandbuckle.com.) They have a good selection and reasonable prices.

Joel
11-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Cheap Timex Ironman - also my alarm clock.

Fixed gear with no computer or anything else. Phone in plastic bag in jersey pocket.

Lusting after a Breitling Cosmonaute for years as a piece of wearable art - just too darn practical to buy one...

Z3c
11-21-2013, 03:39 PM
I wear a Bathys 100F daily; for riding etc I wear a cheap Casio. In a thread across the hall someone who works on watches said that cycling can somewhat harmful to an auto mechanism. I don't know any details and certainly don't understand watch inner workings but I figured why risk it and bought the Casio..

Louis
11-21-2013, 03:56 PM
I realize that bikes are fundamentally mechanical things, but IMO unless you're Fausto Coppi, a mechanical watch with it's sensitivities to all the stuff that will happen on the bike, doesn't make sense.

Fiertetimestwo
11-21-2013, 05:04 PM
I realize that bikes are fundamentally mechanical things, but IMO unless you're Fausto Coppi, a mechanical watch with it's sensitivities to all the stuff that will happen on the bike, doesn't make sense.

I agree with this 100 %. I have a really nice IWC Spitfire Chronograph which I wear everyday, but never on the bike- don't want the jiggles and bumps of riding to mess up the insides.

I have a Raymond Weil quartz watch to wear on the weekends and riding.

Saint Vitus
11-21-2013, 05:24 PM

A properly maintained mechanical watch of high quality (such as Omega, Rolex, Heuer etc) will handle anything that cycling has to offer. Omega Speedmaster professionals went to the moon for god's sake, Saturn V liftoff and all...

Louis
11-21-2013, 05:33 PM
A properly maintained mechanical watch of high quality (such as Omega, Rolex, Heuer etc) will handle anything that cycling has to offer. Omega Speedmaster professionals went to the moon for god's sake, Saturn V liftoff and all...

Perhaps. Call me a Philistine, but I'll stick to getting the time off my Polar HRM.

Saint Vitus
11-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Perhaps. Call me a Philistine, but I'll stick to getting the time off my Polar HRM.

I could care less what people use (or don't use...) for measuring time, I was more so pointing out a simple fact. Whatever works best for the indivdual. There's a similar thread on BF in C&V, kinda funny how they both popped around the same time...:p

Germany_chris
11-21-2013, 06:24 PM

I think most automatics will..Hamilton automatics were worn by WWII pilots. My Seiko has been diving in Egypt and Mexico, been to war, jumped out of airplanes, in a myrid of deserts from Africa to Saudi Arabia and will likely be in Dubai this summer. I think the old girl can ride a bike.

572cv
11-21-2013, 07:25 PM
I used to wear a fairly heavy Tissot self winding ss automatic. But over time, I found that the weight was actually causing numbness in my hand and wrist, when I wore it while exercising. I love the watch, but gee..... So, i reverted to a previous watch approach, a SWATCH watch with an aluminum body and a rubber band. Swatch Irony. Has a stopwatch, nice look, nice features. If it wears out more often, so be it. It is light enough not to even notice. I think it is this one, or close:
http://store.swatch.com/watches/irony/chrono/ycs4024-wildly.html

Anyway, a great success from a bike user perspective.

choke
11-21-2013, 07:36 PM
A properly maintained mechanical watch of high quality (such as Omega, Rolex, Heuer etc) will handle anything that cycling has to offer. Omega Speedmaster professionals went to the moon for god's sake, Saturn V liftoff and all...+2

I've never understood why people buy a nice watch and then are afraid to use it. My Rolex handled the pounding of who knows how many rounds of 7.62mm out the end of a M60E3....

Ozrider
11-21-2013, 08:38 PM
I never wear a watch when riding. It's easy enough to flip the Garmin screen if I need the time.

I work full time as a Paramedic, and I have seen several nasty degloving injuries caused by metal bracelets / watch bands that have snagged on an object when a rider falls. Much the same type of injuries caused by watches / rings if caught in machinery.
I have a Rolex which is a present from my wife, and also having seen several watches destroyed by hitting the asphalt at 30-50km/h I would not wear it while riding. Yes the watch won't be affected by the jiggling and bumping around on your arm, but try throwing it onto concrete or tar - a totally different outcome.

Louis
11-21-2013, 09:42 PM
My Rolex handled the pounding of who knows how many rounds of 7.62mm out the end of a M60E3....

The human body is a great shock and vibration isolator. I'm guessing that that's not as damaging as a single 2 foot drop onto concrete or a 5 foot drop onto a hardwood floor.

Louis
11-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Since this is morphing into a watches in general thread, where's a good place to buy good quality rubber watch bands? (I don't need the super premium stuff)

choke
11-21-2013, 10:29 PM
Since this is morphing into a watches in general thread, where's a good place to buy good quality rubber watch bands? (I don't need the super premium stuff)You could try here (http://www.thewatchprince.com/silicone-watch-bands)....I've never ordered from him but he has a very good reputation.

Louis
11-21-2013, 10:38 PM
Thanks - that looks promising. (There aren't a whole lot of 18mm deployants out there.)

ANAO
01-13-2017, 09:20 AM
I'm a bit of a watch guy. Not that I would really wear my nicer watches while out riding (although during a 2013 trip to the middle east, I did take my Breitling Emergency with me for fear of being captured and held for ransom). I have the emergency, an IWC Portugese 8 days and a Panerai. They're all 42mm+.

Do you wear a watch out on the road?

I have a computer but I hate looking at it for the time. I'm wondering what would be comfortable while out riding.

batman1425
01-13-2017, 09:25 AM
Used to never take mine off - a middle of the line citizen eco drive diver titanium, including on the bike. However, became more and more laborious at work as I started on projects that required I remove it for chem/bio safety reasons. I got tired of the on/off all day and eventually I stopped wearing it all together.

Bwana
01-13-2017, 09:29 AM
http://i.imgur.com/BwNctBZh.jpg

I usually wear this.

j/k, not mine, a friend took this a while back :eek:

I'm a bit of a watch nerd and wear one pretty much 24/7, but I never ride with one on. Maybe if you had a smaller, beater-type watch with a NATO or rubber strap, I could see that, but I wouldn't wear anything on leather or a bracelet. Maybe something like one of the small/thin Casio digital watches? F108 maybe?

AngryScientist
01-13-2017, 09:29 AM
i am a total watch guy.

i own numerous swiss autos, mostly diver style watches. wearing an Oris today.

Anyway, i do not wear an auto while cycling. i know they are built ruggedly, but when you think about how many intricate, finely tunes moving parts are in an automatic, i just dont see all the bouncing around on the bars being any good for them while cycling.

i generally wear a quartz watch while out on the bike, and usually my garmin, which i've been using to track ALL of my cardio activity - running, cycling, rowing, whatever.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Nltvs1EyojI/VkI7mi9LUqI/AAAAAAAACSk/LUSRDiQAu-k/s900/IMG_0180.JPG

batman1425
01-13-2017, 09:31 AM
On the topic of watches - did that watch (dial) style cyclocomputer ever make it to market? Cancellara was an early sponsor yea? Could be a nice compromise for those wanting the esthetic but not the wrist mounting.

ANAO
01-13-2017, 09:32 AM

I usually wear this.

I'm a bit of a watch nerd and wear one pretty much 24/7, but I never ride with one on. Maybe if you had a smaller, beater-type watch with a NATO or rubber strap, I could see that, but I wouldn't wear anything on leather or a bracelet. Maybe something like one of the small/thin Casio digital watches? F108 maybe?

My brother keeps trying to get me to go in on one of those. He had a few top gun BP's and the feel of ceramic is just all off for me. I have 2 ti and 1 steel and ceramic just feels fugazzi.

ANAO
On the topic of watches - did that watch (dial) style cyclocomputer ever make it to market? Cancellara was an early sponsor yea? Could be a nice compromise for those wanting the esthetic but not the wrist mounting.

Yes. They were $500 and they tracked distance + speed.

If they incorporated power/HR/cadence data (even if just collected it, but not displayed), I would have been on board 1000%.

ETA link: http://www.omata.com/home

thirdgenbird
I skip the watch on the bike. It just doesn't feel right. If I were going to wear one, it would probably be something cheap. Maybe an amphibia on a rubber strap. Quartz makes sense, but I just don't enjoy them in the same way.

(wearing a Tudor Heritage Ranger now)

rePhil
01-13-2017, 09:33 AM
I am sure I will be in the minority, but I no longer even own one.

batman1425
01-13-2017, 09:36 AM
Yes. They were $500 and they tracked distance + speed.

If they incorporated power/HR/cadence data (even if just collected it, but not displayed), I would have been on board 1000%.

ETA link: http://www.omata.com/home

Cool, thanks for the link. Would think that it would be reasonably easy to incorporate data collection for the power/HR information - but perhaps an extra antenna for bluetooth is pushing space.

***Edit - it does have a bluetooth antenna. Maybe it does record power/HR/Cadence?

shovelhd
01-13-2017, 09:40 AM
On rides, no. Most other times, yes. Exceptions are when I'm working on the car or doing some other kind of dirty work. I use it constantly when I am officiating races. I work hard to get them off on time.

Ralph
01-13-2017, 09:40 AM
No longer own one that works. No need.

warren128
01-13-2017, 09:41 AM
I usually wear this G-Shock when riding. :)

http://www.fototime.com/B92F8F188B5EFA1/orig.jpg

Seramount
01-13-2017, 09:43 AM

haven't owned one in over a decade. last one was Casio G-Shock...bulletproof for $30.

just always hated the feeling of something on my wrist.

besides, everything has a clock embedded in it these days...cycling computer, phone, car, stove, tv, etc etc...

Bob Ross
01-13-2017, 09:49 AM
I'm a bit of a watch guy.
I'm a bit of a watch nerd and wear one pretty much 24/7
i am a total watch guy.

I must be missing the gene that causes people to become Watch Guys. Never liked them, never saw the appeal*, never found myself wishing I knew what time it was when there wasn't a clock somewhere nearby... The thing that finally made me swear off them was watching a Dave Brubeck & Sons concert on TV in the late 1970s and seeing Darius Brubeck wearing a watch while performing. I thought to myself "Why does he need to know what time it is while he's playing?!?!" It struck me as disrespectful to the audience. I havent worn a watch since.

*Actually, that's not completely true: I get the appeal in the same hobby/fetish way that people like bikes, or hi-fi equipment, or gear of any kind.

No disrespect intended.

No longer own one that works. No need.
haven't owned one in over a decade...[snip]...
just always hated the feeling of something on my wrist.

We can hang. :banana:

Lewis Moon
01-13-2017, 09:51 AM

I usually wear this.

Might as well have Big Ben strapped ti your wrist.
I'm old school (actually, just old) so I grew up wearing a watch, and not having one feels weird. I hate the recent trend of mega sized watches. It seems more than a bit too ostentatious and blingy...not to mention heavy and tending to get caught on everything. I'd rather have something small, thin and practical.

regularguy412
01-13-2017, 09:52 AM
Yeah. Well,..... sorta.

I have a Polar RCX5B 'watch' that I 'wear' on my handlebars. It collects speed, distance and HR data (didn't want or need the GPS unit for it).

So, yeah, it's a watch, but I don't use it primarily for the watch functions.

I used to wear one back when cyclocomputers didn't always show time of day. I quit wearing one altogether as there seem to be numerous sources to get this info (smart phone, computer, automobile dash board, local bank clocks, etc., etc. I do own a nice, thin Seiko for use when going out to 'events'.

Mike in AR:beer:

ANAO
01-13-2017, 09:56 AM
Cool, thanks for the link. Would think that it would be reasonably easy to incorporate data collection for the power/HR information - but perhaps an extra antenna for bluetooth is pushing space.

***Edit - it does have a bluetooth antenna. Maybe it does record power/HR/Cadence?

I emailed them March 2016 and received this:

Eli

Good morning. Thank you for your note — we’re very excited too! Glad you’re sharing the energy.

That’s a really good question — and you’re not the first to ask. Just Saturday on the ride we were testing OMATA, came across a group ride and they caught a glimpse so they made us stop and one of the fellas asked the same question. We’ve deliberately engineered in BTLE/ANT+ support — so it’s part of the core product engine. We’re being ruthlessly focussed for the launch to focus on the core four initially. In the future, with firmware updates, we’ll be able to support pairing with sensors like you describe so that that data could be captured and recorded and then available post-ride and taken off the product either over BTLE or simply over the USB-C interface. There could very possibly be a ‘training edition’ in the future, too — where the core four data are (for example) power, cadence, HR and perhaps an interval timer. So, the simple answer to your question is that yes — we have definitely thought about that idea and technically it’s possible. There are a host of consideration beyond the theory of course, but it’s a distinct possibility.

To be clear — we are definitely passionately ruthlessly focussed on getting the launch edition as beautiful, as performant, as robust as possible as a stand-alone component. What allowed us to get to the point we are at now has been holding fast to that focus and not letting features creep in — experience at Nokia and other places has taught us that that introduces delays, complexities, distractions and so forth. The product as a very beautiful, very smart speedometer on its own is remarkable — and terribly fun to ride with.

Thanks for sending the note. We really appreciate it!

Tickdoc
01-13-2017, 09:57 AM
always, and usually this one:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/Handgod/126D40A0-D1E0-430A-8E9D-319E42D18137_zpsdc7egbok.jpg

Nice watches, btw.

Kingfisher
01-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Yepper, never leave home without a watch, have a few but this one is my favorite.

Heisenberg
01-13-2017, 10:29 AM
Sure do.

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/15034583_1507502362600376_6804169597860708352_n.jp g

https://www.mondaine.com/files/watches/models_detail/A660.30314.16SBB_C.jpg

eippo1
01-13-2017, 10:32 AM
Have automatics for daily wear, but have a 20 year old Freestyle Shark that I use for serious abuse and a newer Freestyle Shark X that I hate but use for the same thing.

Also have a Suunto Ambit 2, but never use it. Too big for my wrist.

ANAO
01-13-2017, 10:32 AM
Sure do.

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/15034583_1507502362600376_6804169597860708352_n.jp g

https://www.mondaine.com/files/watches/models_detail/A660.30314.16SBB_C.jpg

How big is that? I like it. Maybe throw a nato on.

AngryScientist
01-13-2017, 10:38 AM
How big is that? I like it. Maybe throw a nato on.

way too big for me. i limit my watches to 40mm. i prefer 38.

Tickdoc
01-13-2017, 10:39 AM

They come smaller, btw. in 38 even methinks!

AngryScientist
01-13-2017, 10:40 AM
They come smaller, btw. in 38 even methinks!

hmmm, interesting.

off to the website with me!

ANAO
01-13-2017, 10:40 AM
hmmm, interesting.

off to the website with me!

Women's Big Date @ 33mm. Might be perfect on the bike.

http://www.jomashop.com/mondaine-watch-a669-30008-14sbb.html?utm_source=googleproduct&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=googleproductsearch&pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=(ROI)+Shopping+-+Sale+Watches+$100+-+500&gclid=CjwKEAiAkuLDBRCRguCgvITww0YSJAAHrpf-kVQ6-4c3-Q-Z_V8pShIjmRNxtmvjUFqimk_3uRz2ehoC-Dbw_wcB

Tickdoc
01-13-2017, 10:41 AM
Sure do.

Great pic! I always look like I'm straining to take a s... whenever pics are taken of me riding.

livingminimal
01-13-2017, 10:41 AM
I don't wear a watch ever. Cant stand them. I have one of them time-tellin smarty phone things.

jr59
01-13-2017, 10:44 AM
Lol....

Of course I wear a watch. Most times I wear a Omega Smp on a carbon strap. But I wear many different types of watches on the bike. Including Rolex, IWC, and Seiko. BTW, the newer Seiko turtle watch is a very nice watch not to mention the marine master.

As old spud say about clinchers, those who don't wear watches are Nancy.

Schmed
01-13-2017, 10:49 AM
Yepper, never leave home without a watch, have a few but this one is my favorite.

Ha! Nice 300M MarineMaster - my absolute favorite that gets 97% of my available wrist time.

Another watch nerd here (Seiko MM300, Samurai, Scubamaster kinetic, Sinn U1 and UX mostly).

But... for riding, they are too heavy for the shocks that are transmitted up through the handlebars. Maybe a G-shock once in a while, but nothing bigger.

David Tollefson
01-13-2017, 10:53 AM
I have a few, but the one that now gets daily wear is a standard Timex Ironman. Yes, I wear it riding, but more out of just habit of it being there than real need. I also don't have any speedo or such on the bars. I start Strava on the phone when I start, then put it in my pocket for the duration of the ride. But I do take the watch off during summer rides after the tan line is well established.

Pierre
01-13-2017, 10:54 AM
I guess I would consider wearing one in cases where I had no other device that gave me the time...i.e. probably never again.

I can't even bear the thought of going up a big climb just barely keeping up with some of the faster riders, taste of blood in the back of my throat from pushing too hard and then looking down and realizing that I've got that extra bit of weight that I just don't need holding me back from going that wee bit faster...

biker72
01-13-2017, 11:01 AM
Apparently unlike everyone else I wear a $20 Timex.

parris
01-13-2017, 11:08 AM
I pretty much always wear a watch. Like some others I've been wearing one for so long it just feels odd not having one. One of the things I've found is that i prefer non digital faces because I can just "see" what time it is if that makes any kind of sense.

ColonelJLloyd
01-13-2017, 11:18 AM

Same. And I am 6' and my wrist is anything but dainty. Much bigger and it becomes clownish looking. Something about large watches just strike me as unbalanced at best and, at worst, ostentatious.

mcteague
01-13-2017, 11:19 AM
I wear a watch at work but almost never otherwise. On the bike, my CatEye cyclometer shows the time so why would I wear a watch? Also, never really understood the whole watch as jewelry deal. Just a basic Timex for me, the simpler the better.

Tim

Kingfisher
01-13-2017, 11:23 AM
Old potato needs to chime in on this one.......don't old Navy pilots or any pilot for that matter wear hefty watches???

572cv
01-13-2017, 11:25 AM
I really liked wearing a watch, but the nerves in my wrist developed enough of a resistance to it that I had abandon the practice. I had a nice Tissot. Even tried switching to a very light Swatch with a rubber band. My wrist is fine with no watch, not fine with any watch, drat.

beeemmjay
01-13-2017, 11:26 AM
I wear a watch pretty much always, and they all seem to be swatches. I built up a new bike mid-summer and didn't mount a computer, so 100% wear a watch when I ride. I don't wear the auto with a metal bracelet; all of the others have rubber bands and mostly disappear.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170113/3c7712ffaf026f1bad18a8c53b4abafb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thirdgenbird
01-13-2017, 11:29 AM
Same. And I am 6' and my wrist is anything but dainty. Much bigger and it becomes clownish looking. Something about large watches just strike me as unbalanced at best and, at worst, ostentatious.

6'1" here. I limit to 42mm on the top end and probably wouldn't go below 38 mm. 40-41 seems to be the sweet spot for me. I also don't own anything with a date complcation. Narrow parameters maybe, but it's what I like and it keeps my from having buyer's remorse.

gdw
01-13-2017, 11:31 AM
No jewelry or watches on or off the bike. When did those Flavor Flav sized wristwatches become so popular?

juanj
01-13-2017, 11:35 AM
I like wearing a watch and I'm a fan of high quality mechanical watches. Additionally, all my watches have been gifts from my wife, so they have a lot of sentimental value. For this reason, I don't wear my analog watches for exercise--I learned that lesson many years ago when I damaged the first watch my wife gave me.

ColonelJLloyd
01-13-2017, 11:41 AM
6'1" here. I limit to 42mm on the top end and probably wouldn't go below 38 mm. 40-41 seems to be the sweet spot for me. I also don't own anything with a date complcation. Narrow parameters maybe, but it's what I like and it keeps my from having buyer's remorse.

My main watch is a 19 year old Seiko titanium watch and the face is probably closer to 35mm. Not an ideal size, but it's a highly sentimental piece (of which I have very few) and the thing must weigh like <60g which is great.

Saint Vitus
01-13-2017, 11:45 AM
I used wear my only watch when out riding but got tired of the tan line and time stands still when I'm out riding lol. And since it just returned from a stay at Ultra Vintage for an overhaul after it dropped onto the floor and smashed the crystal, I'm even less inclined.

This is Zodiac...

mwynne
01-13-2017, 11:45 AM
Not a watch wearer at all. But kind of want to start, if only to break my habit of looking at my phone for the tie constantly (yeah, yeah, millenials...)

chiasticon
01-13-2017, 11:49 AM
I'm a watch guy in that I've generally always had one on my wrist. but I know nothing of 99% of the brands you guys mention. I like analog ones but usually they're pretty cheap; $100 or so.

fell out of favor with wearing watches when I started riding a lot. mainly because in the summer, I just want as little on me as possible. then I got sick of taking it off my wrist for a ride, forgetting to put it back on, and then being annoyed and having that weird, lost sort of feeling (watch guys know what I'm talking about) for the rest of the day. so I stopped wearing one for a while. then I started wearing a Garmin last summer to log any activity I do, and be a step counter. but mainly I just wanted it for cyclocross season. it's a lot easier to keep track of than a bike computer when you're swapping between several bikes, works better on the MTB trails, and you never look at it while practicing or racing, so why have it on your bars? plus I missed a front row call-up once (at state champs!) because I lost track of time. not doing that again.

anyway, since then I've been enjoying having a watch on again and have been doing all of my riding with it instead of a bike computer. it's nice not to have a screen in front of you all the time. I'm sure I'll move back to riding without one once summer hits though.

Jaybee
01-13-2017, 12:03 PM
I pretty much always wear a watch. Like some others I've been wearing one for so long it just feels odd not having one. One of the things I've found is that i prefer non digital faces because I can just "see" what time it is if that makes any kind of sense.

Same. I don't have a computer mounted on the bars, just the phone in pocket recording the ride, so if I need a general sense of the time i glance down at my wrist. That's usually an analog Timex on a NATO strap. I agree that's it's "easier" in a sense than reading a digital display, especially if it's bumpy.

tiretrax
01-13-2017, 12:08 PM
I don't wear my automatic watches due to the possible shock transfer from rough roads. I had an orange Timex Ironman that could control an iPod. My son borrowed it, and I haven't seen it since. After the fourth Garmin broke, I quit riding with a computer. So, now I rely on my sense of time or pull out my phone and look at it.

ultraman6970
01-13-2017, 12:14 PM
Havent used a watch for the last 10 years maybe, I dont even where my watch is :) Carry a phone... there you have the watch.

Black Dog
01-13-2017, 12:18 PM
Apparently unlike everyone else I wear a $20 Timex.

Me too. But not while I ride. I go bare wristed, I love that freedom.

Besides, folks can always use one of these.

http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1hh.cGXXXXXb1aXXXq6xXFXXX6/MTB-Bicycle-Headset-Watch-Quartz-Bike-Parts-Top-Cap-Btt-Headset-Cycling-Cap-Stem-Watch-Bowl.jpg

Dead Man
01-13-2017, 12:33 PM
ONLY time I wear a watch is when alpine climbing, currently a Suunto Vector, so I can track those data needed in the alpine - altitude, rate of ascent/descent, baro pressure, day/moonlight left, etc. Otherwise, my life is surrounded by devices that'll tell me what time it is.

Before I went to the garmin, I took the watch on the bike a couple of times, but found it interfered with wrist mobility obnoxiously, and that was it. I also didn't wear gloves all the time I those days, though.. Which would probably help with that. I am thinking about getting a wrist mounted garmin for CX next season though.

I hadn't really though about it till now, but does it seem like the wrist watch is rapidly becoming about as old school as pocket watches already were when we were younger? AnaCHRONistic? :p

If I wore a suit to work every day I'd get a nice watch, simply as an accessory. But I don't.

chiasticon
01-13-2017, 12:53 PM
watches breaking from road shock? didn't bother these guys...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1650/24221100629_7f198796fa.jpg

admittedly, they were on some pretty pristine roads though :cool:

azrider
01-13-2017, 01:01 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=139901&highlight=anvil

AngryScientist
01-13-2017, 01:05 PM
and i also replied to this thread nearly 4 years ago, merging the two now!

91Bear
01-13-2017, 01:13 PM
I wear my Garmin RX3. Before I got that I wore an original Timex Ironman.

I still have it and wear it. I takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.

sandyrs
01-13-2017, 01:28 PM
I wear my Seiko Prospex SRP777 when I'm commuting (because I wear it at work) and, outside commuting, on dirt rides (cx bike on trails or mtb). On the road I don't mind swiping through my Garmin to check the time but on the trail I'd rather not have to take multiple seconds with my hands off the bars just to see what time it is when I can just glance at my wrist. I've damaged a lot of things on the trail but I've never damaged my watch.

This is the only picture I can find of myself where the watch is clearly visible:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKYIXhJDGiS/

bloody sunday
01-13-2017, 03:14 PM
I wear a watch, but never on two wheels. On my bicycle I don't like the feeling and I have time on my Garmin. On my motorcycle I can't tighten my gloves or zip my sleeves with it on, so I rely on my instrument gauges and I put my watch in my pocket. At first I just went without it but I kept checking my empty wrist which got really silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OtayBW
01-13-2017, 05:03 PM
I typically wear my Citizen EcoDrive anytime I go out....EXCEPT when I am on the bike. As someone here said: ...On the bike, my CatEye cyclometer shows the time so why would I wear a watch?

Also, wearing a watch 24/7 is beyond comprehension to me. :confused: :cool:

adub
01-13-2017, 05:31 PM
Soon to be a Garmin 735XT. It'll sync with the varia radar unit and give a vibrate alert when a car is approaching. Lets see your Rolex or Patek Philippe pull that off! HAHA!!

verbs4us
01-13-2017, 05:39 PM
Dad's 1943 Omega, shaken, not stirred. He wore it cutting the grass; now it rides centuries. New watches don't fit. Anything 38 mm or larger looks like a dinner plate on my wrist.

Seramount
01-13-2017, 05:47 PM
why do landlubbers buy watches pressure-rated to 1000' of water...?

cracks me up.

SlowPokePete
01-13-2017, 06:55 PM
No.

SPP

adub
01-13-2017, 07:11 PM

cracks me up.

Same reason non-pro's run 53/39?
This cracks me up.

azrider
01-13-2017, 09:07 PM
Same reason non-pro's run 53/39?
This cracks me up.

Well played

5....ok 6 years ago I would have 'tried' to defend this......but not these days :beer:

Louis
01-13-2017, 09:24 PM
I wear my Seiko Prospex SRP777 when I'm commuting (because I wear it at work) and, outside commuting, on dirt rides (cx bike on trails or mtb).

The Turtle!

Alone on a table I used to think that this design looked a bit strange, but when it's on a wrist it looks very nice. I think I'm about at my limit for watches right now, but if I were to unload a few (or get another winder or two) this would definitely be on my list of future acquisitions.

juanj
01-13-2017, 09:45 PM

cracks me up.

My son asked something along these lines: "Dad, you don't dive." My answer is that if only divers wore them, there would be no more dive watches.

Louis
01-13-2017, 10:47 PM
If the only purpose of a watch were to tell time, then we'd either not have one (and just use our cell phones) or we'd all have a $20 Casio digital quartz that's accurate to a second or two a month with a battery that lasts 10 years.

Black Dog
01-13-2017, 11:24 PM
If the only purpose of a watch were to tell time, then we'd either not have one (and just use our cell phones) or we'd all have a $20 Casio digital quartz that's accurate to a second or two a month with a battery that lasts 10 years.

I resemble the latter part of your comment perfectly. :D

buldogge
01-14-2017, 12:58 AM
I own a variety of autos (42mm sweetspot for me), a couple g-shocks, and a couple of (original, DE) Brauns...I wear whatever watch I am wearing that day, even on the bike...it's a watch..a tool...much like the bike.

I want to keep them nice...I don't want to break them...but...I want to use them and enjoy them...again, just like the bike.

-Mark in St. Louis

oldpotatoe
01-14-2017, 05:34 AM

No watch since I retired..what day is it?

Black Dog
01-14-2017, 07:48 AM
No watch since I retired..what day is it?

You are not truly retired until you ask what month it is! :D

cinema
01-14-2017, 12:16 PM
I've worn this for at least 4 years now. Both commuting and with the kit. avg 5k miles a year probably. I don't have a garmin and I prefer the watch. It looks pretty good and I shower with it as well. safe to say i've gotten my $s worth

https://www.amazon.com/G-shock-DW5600E-1V-Black-Resin-Sport/dp/B000GAYQKY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1484417715&sr=8-3&keywords=g+shock

RFC
01-14-2017, 01:56 PM
I admit that I am a watch guy, a WIS, and have been most of my life.

I think it is both a generational and cultural thing. It's part of my "gear" like a pocket knife. Plus, I enjoy playing with them.

About ten years ago, I was heavily into the watch thing and bought, sold and traded about 100 mid to high end watches, often during hours long conference calls with many parties. There is one guy at my gym who probably has $200k worth of watches in his home safe.

Then I went through a 12 step program and whittled my collection down to an Omega Speedmaster, Hamilton Khaki Air Race GMT, a handful of Seiko autos and Citizen quartz divers and a couple of digital sports watches (G Shock and Suunto Observer).

In the last year, I've picked up several additional Seiko divers and a Borealis Sea Dragon (micro watchmaker in Portugal). I've always found the Seiko divers to be just about bullet proof and treat them accordingly.

I jumped on the SRP777 when it came out because I actually wore it's predecessor, the 6309, when I started diving in the 80's. I liked it so much that I then got the SRP PADI turtle and then the SRP637 shrouded diver.

It's much more fun to play at this level.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/IMG_0004r_zpsip4itzvd.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/RCopple/media/IMG_0004r_zpsip4itzvd.jpg.html)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/IMG_0003r_zpseq9m3rzc.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/RCopple/media/IMG_0003r_zpseq9m3rzc.jpg.html)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/IMG_1809_zpsg7gkdvxt.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/RCopple/media/IMG_1809_zpsg7gkdvxt.jpg.html)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/IMG_0437r_zpsw792xgu2.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/RCopple/media/IMG_0437r_zpsw792xgu2.jpg.html)

Bwana
01-14-2017, 03:26 PM
I admit that I am a watch guy, a WIS, and have been most of my life.

I think it is both a generational and cultural thing. It's part of my "gear" like a pocket knife. Plus, I enjoy playing with them.

About ten years ago, I was heavily into the watch thing and bought, sold and traded about 100 mid to high end watches, often during hours long conference calls with many parties. There is one guy at my gym who probably has $200k worth of watches in his home safe.

Then I went through a 12 step program and whittled my collection down to an Omega Speedmaster, Hamilton Khaki Air Race GMT, a handful of Seiko autos and Citizen quartz divers and a couple of digital sports watches (G Shock and Suunto Observer).

In the last year, I've picked up several additional Seiko divers and a Borealis Sea Dragon (micro watchmaker in Portugal). I've always found the Seiko divers to be just about bullet proof and treat them accordingly.

I jumped on the SRP777 when it came out because I actually wore it's predecessor, the 6309, when I started diving in the 80's. I liked it so much that I then got the SRP PADI turtle and then the SRP637 shrouded diver.

It's much more fun to play at this level.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b384/RCopple/IMG_0003r_zpseq9m3rzc.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/RCopple/media/IMG_0003r_zpseq9m3rzc.jpg.html)

I had a Sea Dragon for a little bit. The white was sold out before I got to order so I went with orange. If I had gotten white, I probably would still have it...

RFC
01-14-2017, 03:35 PM
I had a Sea Dragon for a little bit. The white was sold out before I got to order so I went with orange. If I had gotten white, I probably would still have it...

You can find the white ones on the used market. I see it as a more understated version of the Snow Monster. To bad Seiko did release that one as part of its standard offerings.

Black Dog
01-14-2017, 03:40 PM
The size of some of these watches is ridiculous. :D There may be some "look at me" going on with time pieces these days. :eek:

RFC
01-14-2017, 04:47 PM
The size of some of these watches is ridiculous. :D There may be some "look at me" going on with time pieces these days. :eek:

LOL! Obviously not a WIS. If you want to see thousands and thousands of photos of large dive watches on wrists, go to the watch forums, which are actually weirder than bike forums. :rolleyes:

Matthew
01-14-2017, 05:47 PM
I wear one every time I ride. Just a simple, cheap Armitron.

Seramount
01-14-2017, 06:52 PM
My son asked something along these lines: "Dad, you don't dive." My answer is that if only divers wore them, there would be no more dive watches.

as a diver, I've never owned a 'dive watch'...

I use a mixed gas computer and a bottom timer.

prior to one dive, the BT's batt was toast so took an old G-Shock along instead...went to 368' and it worked fine.

Schmed
01-14-2017, 07:08 PM
prior to one dive, the BT's batt was toast so took an old G-Shock along instead...went to 368' and it worked fine.

368' Yikes. How on earth do you do that? Mixed gas? Lots of deco? What's down at that depth? (I'm a vacation diver. 130' max)

RFC
01-14-2017, 07:15 PM
as a diver, I've never owned a 'dive watch'...

I use a mixed gas computer and a bottom timer.

Very interesting.

Prior to the quartz Citizens with depth meters, there really wasn't much available to recreational divers than the Seiko autos, Rolex, etc. Guess which was the most popular choice.

Once the integrated digital systems came along, the dive watch became an anachronism, like a steel bike with DTs, of which I have a few.

Where did you dive to 368' and what were you using for equipment? Double tanks? The deepest I've gone is 150' to a wreck and bottom time was very limited with a single tank.

weisan
01-14-2017, 07:34 PM
To answer OP's question, no I don't. I don't wear a watch. Period. Not since my army days almost thirty years ago.

Seramount
01-14-2017, 08:06 PM
368' Yikes. How on earth do you do that? Mixed gas? Lots of deco? What's down at that depth? (I'm a vacation diver. 130' max)

I belong to a cave exploration team that was doing a deep penetration of a place called Goodenough Springs on the US / Mexico border. the cave entrance lies at the bottom of Lake Amistad at 165'.

my partner and I were placing gas bottles for another diver that ultimately went to 515' (considered to be the deepest dived cave in the US).

our side-mount bottom mix gas was a pretty high-Helium content (12/60...12% oxygen, 60% He), also used travel gas mix to avoid hypoxia, stage bottles, and 50% O2 and 100% O2 for deco). I think our run-time on that particular dive was just a hair over 3 hrs total. the 515' dive was just under 6 hrs in duration (4.5 hrs was spent at 20' decompressing on pure O2).

this cave is very unusual as it is extremely high flow and warm water (83F).

here's our project website if you want to read more about the place...

www.goodenoughsprings.org

EmoryDPTT
01-14-2017, 08:07 PM
I wear a 1st generation garmin vivoactive watch full time and during cycling. Good for my profession and it's smart watch feature to receive text messages while riding so that I do not have to pull my phone out. I don't really use any of the other features. If i do an occasional run, I will use it to track my run.

RFC
01-14-2017, 08:19 PM
I belong to a cave exploration team that was doing a deep penetration of a place called Goodenough Springs on the US / Mexico border. the cave entrance lies at the bottom of Lake Amistad at 165'.

my partner and I were placing gas bottles for another diver that ultimately went to 515' (considered to be the deepest dived cave in the US).

our side-mount bottom mix gas was a pretty high-Helium content (12/60...12% oxygen, 60% He), also used travel gas mix to avoid hypoxia, stage bottles, and 50% O2 and 100% O2 for deco). I think our run-time on that particular dive was just a hair over 3 hrs total. the 515' dive was just under 6 hrs in duration (4.5 hrs was spent at 20' decompressing on pure O2).

this cave is very unusual as it is extremely high flow and warm water (83F).

here's our project website if you want to read more about the place...

www.goodenoughsprings.org

Oh My God! That's incredible and more than a little scary!

I took a quick look at your website and will go back to it later. Just one question.

What was the path down like once you entered the spring? Was it open space or more like caving?

Tickdoc
01-14-2017, 09:15 PM

38 used to be what I considered my max, then 40, then 42, and I'd say 45 is my max wearable size, although it usually looks and feels too big at that level. My smallest is a jaeger lecoutre at 32. It just depends on the watch.

I collected watches for a long while. It is the source of my username. Owned many brands over the years from audemars piguet to zenith. I like them for their mechanical nature. I just love the fact that they are made by man and can be made to be as accurate as they are just with cogs and springs. Another part of the lure is a combination of marveling at the incredible variety of quality, designs,and styles out there combined with trying to find the perfect one. Same lure with bikes, I guess.

I sold most of what I owned when I felt like they were owning me. Hung on to a few speedmasters and my sinn U1. It is my second U1 and fits me perfect, even though I rarely dive and am lucky to penetrate 100' when I do. Quartz watches are far superior in regards to accuracy or depth ratings, but I don't own any, they just don't interest me.

weisan
01-14-2017, 09:21 PM

RFC
01-14-2017, 10:20 PM
38 used to be what I considered my max, then 40, then 42, and I'd say 45 is my max wearable size, although it usually looks and feels too big at that level. My smallest is a jaeger lecoutre at 32. It just depends on the watch.

I collected watches for a long while. It is the source of my username. Owned many brands over the years from audemars piguet to zenith. I like them for their mechanical nature. I just love the fact that they are made by man and can be made to be as accurate as they are just with cogs and springs. Another part of the lure is a combination of marveling at the incredible variety of quality, designs,and styles out there combined with trying to find the perfect one. Same lure with bikes, I guess.

I sold most of what I owned when I felt like they were owning me. Hung on to a few speedmasters and my sinn U1. It is my second U1 and fits me perfect, even though I rarely dive and am lucky to penetrate 100' when I do. Quartz watches are far superior in regards to accuracy or depth ratings, but I don't own any, they just don't interest me.

Aw, so you also went through the 12 step program. If you want to cheat in a minor way, the new Seiko autos and some of the micro brands (Borealis, Deep Blue, etc) are very well done and fairly minor transgressions.;)

jlwdm
01-15-2017, 02:49 AM

It must be the extra 1/2 inch. I am 6' 2 1/2" and the smallest I wear is a 42 mm Dornblueth 99.1, a dressier watch.

Jeff

Tickdoc
01-15-2017, 06:22 AM

Biggun:

https://68.media.tumblr.com/de034ea585f44bdd7fecf49847c5cf93/tumblr_ojtkn287wH1roor5zo1_1280.jpg

oldpotatoe
01-15-2017, 06:26 AM
I will mention that when I DID wear a watch, I wore a cheap digital something or other and glad I didn't have my Rolex GMT on, when I got hit by a P/U truck. Cuz, along with a gold chain, I lost the watch. ER doc said to me(after I came back to knowing ***arge was going on..about 30 hours) that the ambulance driver is probably wearing it now..not sure if he was serious or not.

So, I'd be careful about wearing a precious and/or ziliion $ watch when riding.

;)

Tickdoc
01-15-2017, 06:44 AM
Aw, so you also went through the 12 step program. If you want to cheat in a minor way, the new Seiko autos and some of the micro brands (Borealis, Deep Blue, etc) are very well done and fairly minor transgressions.;)

Yes, I've still got two monsters, which were always my fav of the bunch, Yao, and an unknown variation.

RFC
01-15-2017, 06:56 AM
Yes, I've still got two monsters, which were always my fav of the bunch, Yao, and an unknown variation.

The monsters are wonderfully over built. I have an OM that I have literally beat the s*** out of. Just about indestructible.

Repack Rider
01-15-2017, 11:31 AM
I haven't worn a watch for years. My cell phone will tell me what time it is, in the unlikely event that I care.

One of my friends wears a watch on rides, and I wish he wouldn't. If you don't know how long it takes you to get to the top of each particular peak, you don't have to try and challenge your previous best time. I refuse to answer his challenge, let him race off from me and a couple of others alone, to prove...what? That he can beat people who are not racing?

If he didn't wear the watch, he might ride with the rest of us.

If I want to race, I will pay an entry fee and put on a number, something I have done plenty of times, most recently about 35 years ago. "Training racers" are annoying, especially this guy, who has never actually entered a bicycle race in his 68 years.

I feel the same about Strava. Whatever I have to prove on a bicycle, I proved decades ago, and I am not defending any vague "championship."

kingpin75s
01-15-2017, 12:47 PM
No watch, no ring, when riding or not, generally.

That said. I do like automatic watches and have some interest in wall clocks for some of the same reasons I like bicycles. I enjoy the mechanics of it all and still do wear my watches on occasions.

Black Dog
01-15-2017, 08:04 PM
I haven't worn a watch for years. My cell phone will tell me what time it is, in the unlikely event that I care.

One of my friends wears a watch on rides, and I wish he wouldn't. If you don't know how long it takes you to get to the top of each particular peak, you don't have to try and challenge your previous best time. I refuse to answer his challenge, let him race off from me and a couple of others alone, to prove...what? That he can beat people who are not racing?

If he didn't wear the watch, he might ride with the rest of us.

If I want to race, I will pay an entry fee and put on a number, something I have done plenty of times, most recently about 35 years ago. "Training racers" are annoying, especially this guy, who has never actually entered a bicycle race in his 68 years.

I feel the same about Strava. Whatever I have to prove on a bicycle, I proved decades ago, and I am not defending any vague "championship."

You have described, so much and so well, what chaps my arse about some of the guys I ride with and so many riders in general these days.

peanutgallery
01-15-2017, 08:10 PM
I know, right?

We are all in our 40's and 50's, what's the rush

You have described so much and so well what chaps my arse about some of the guys I ride with and so many riders in general thee days.

bironi
01-15-2017, 08:29 PM
I tried wearing wrist watches for several years. I always took them off when at rest, at the keyboard or otherwise. This was my solution.

denapista
01-15-2017, 08:55 PM
I ride with a Maratac Pilot watch. Leather band, but I'm going to get a military style band soon..

I'm actually in the market for a Fenix 3 though.. Was looking at the comparable Sunnto watches but all of my watch runner/hiker buddies say the Fenix 3 is where its at. I like that I can sync the Garmin H/R monitor soft strap up with the Fenix 3 and the Barometric altimeter.

Also riding with the Fenix3 I can track all of my rides on all of my bikes without having to buy multiple garmin mounts. I only have (1) Garmin 510, and another broken one I'll send to Garmin to pay $60 for the refub.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/deadaimmusic/iPhone%20Uploads/2e60d3f0.jpg

Geeheeb
01-15-2017, 09:14 PM
I wear a pebble 2 which keeps my phone in my pocket most of the time. I can even talk into the watch to send a text on the bike. It works with strava showing duration, distance, and average speed too. I love it and I'm super bummed they were bought by fitbit.

rustychisel
01-15-2017, 09:38 PM
Great question. Though I only read a couple of pages of replies, I'm surprised by the number who don't.

Me, never, ever. Haven't worn a watch for 15 years. Got a phone, got an old wired Sigma computer on the bike; both tell the time adequately.

denapista
01-15-2017, 10:51 PM
I have a Rapha leather pouch thing that's in my rear jersey pocket. Would be cool to have Text messages on my watch while I'm riding. I do tend to dip out of work for the mountains from time to time.

My own justification for buying a Fenix3....

RC.
01-16-2017, 12:27 AM
I always wear a watch. Ridings got nothing to do with it.

Citizen Eco Drive Military...with a swapped black canvas band.

http://www.worldwatchreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/citizen-eco-drive-military-sub-seconds-bv1085-22h-pilots-watch.jpg

Louis
01-16-2017, 11:23 AM
Since we're talking watches, I think I'll piggy-back on this thread to ask a related question on winders:

I recently purchased a new Seiko auto (Alpinist), and since I try to keep all my autos running I need to get another winder. (I know, the 6R15 movement can be hand-wound) I currently have one Wolf Module 4.1 single. I really could use a double winder (since the Alpinist will be my third auto) but the Wolf doubles are more that I can justify paying.

So, does anyone out there have any recommendations for a relatively inexpensive double-winder (say, < $250), or should I just get another Wolf single (they're ~$200 and really are nice).

TIA

dcgriz
01-16-2017, 01:00 PM
Since we're talking watches, I think I'll piggy-back on this thread to ask a related question on winders:

I recently purchased a new Seiko auto (Alpinist), and since I try to keep all my autos running I need to get another winder. (I know, the 6R15 movement can be hand-wound) I currently have one Wolf Module 4.1 single. I really could use a double winder (since the Alpinist will be my third auto) but the Wolf doubles are more that I can justify paying.

So, does anyone out there have any recommendations for a relatively inexpensive double-winder (say, < $250), or should I just get another Wolf single (they're ~$200 and really are nice).

TIA

Thats what I use and it has been more than fine.
https://www.buywatchwinders.com/versa-automatic-double-watch-winder-black-p-504.html

Keith A
01-16-2017, 02:19 PM
Not sure if this has been covered in this thread before, but I personally don't wear a watch when riding...and after seeing my buddy's wrist after he crashed while wearing one, I won't be wearing one in the future either.

LeadoutTrain5
01-16-2017, 02:25 PM
Fitbit works great!

RFC
01-16-2017, 04:01 PM
Fitbit works great!

But not for cycling unless you strap it to your ankle.

kunfuzion
01-16-2017, 04:08 PM
No watch. Clock on the Garmin and phone in back pocket work for me.

chiasticon
01-17-2017, 08:08 AM
You have described, so much and so well, what chaps my arse about some of the guys I ride with and so many riders in general these days.pffft. time is nothing. try spending hours next to people going on and on about watts.

AJosiahK
01-17-2017, 08:17 AM
wish I could handle wearing something like that on my arm, theyve always bugged me for some reason.

Tickdoc
01-17-2017, 08:18 AM
pffft. time is nothing. try spending hours next to people going on and on about watts.

Ha! One of my regular ride buddies spends half the ride relaying data and it drives me nuts. I don't ride with a computer/garmin, etc. I like to look back on the ride to see how it was but not during. Even when I had a computer I trained my eye to see the mph only and would ignore the distance. Wattage is something I never want to know, I just want to ride.

Lewis Moon
01-17-2017, 10:25 AM
Thread Drift: I'm thinking about a Vostok Amphibian. Is there anything I should be concerned about when looking on ebay? Counterfeits, damage, features?

buldogge
01-17-2017, 10:47 AM
Just order from Meranom.

https://meranom.com/en/

-Mark in St. Louis

Thread Drift: I'm thinking about a Vostok Amphibian. Is there anything I should be concerned about when looking on ebay? Counterfeits, damage, features?

Bwana
01-17-2017, 11:01 AM

Zenitar is the go-to guy for Vostok.

http://stores.ebay.com/zenitar-store

guido
01-17-2017, 11:18 AM
I wear the same Timex Ironman watch on the bike that i do for all the other hours of the day. The only time it comes off is when I'm at the massage therapist....

MrDangerPants
01-17-2017, 11:31 AM
Yes.

Lewis Moon
01-17-2017, 11:48 AM
Any suggestions for a nice, water resistant, slim, battery operated sports watch in the seiko line? I'm looking at those too.

RFC
01-17-2017, 03:40 PM
Any suggestions for a nice, water resistant, slim, battery operated sports watch in the seiko line? I'm looking at those too.

Go to watchsleuth.com

You can compare hundreds of seiko watches.

gallant
01-17-2017, 11:17 PM
I used to wear my apple watch so i would not miss texts or calls from the wife while riding in case I needed to get back home. But I've since ditched the Apple watch. It was too clunky and not that useful and I don't like that you have to charge it every night. I've since switched to wear a Fitbit Charge 2 as my primary watch while riding and while not riding. It serves as a watch in that I can check time. But also can track my exercise activities. I also like that it can track my heart rate. I even wear it to sleep so I can track my sleep (how much I sleep each day, how often I am restless or wake up) and it can also pretty accurately measure resting heart rate while you sleep. And it weighs a lot less and is slimmer than your average watch.