PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Kinetic Fluid Trainers: Road vs. Rock and Roll

Team Murray
11-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Is it worth the extra money to get the Rock and Roll version? Should I get the extra flywheel and power meter?

Peter P.
11-19-2013, 06:28 PM
I have a Road Machine.

If you value the portability or stowability of a trainer, then skip the Rock 'n Roll.

Some riders complained the Rock 'n Roll had a tendency to favor one side in a lean. Others really liked the realistic ride.

I don't think it's worth it as I don't see any practical benefits. I also wouldn't bother with the extra flywheel. As long as your legs and lungs are working, you'll be getting the workout you need. Neither accessory will improve your fitness; they may make the experience more enjoyable but that's more subjective. The experience does not need to precisely replicate road riding, especially considering the increased costs.

As for the power meter, I think the same way about those too.

If you're shooting for the most realistic feel of a rear wheel trainer then go ahead and buy the accessories and the Rock 'n Roll. Just remember that the increased weight of the unit and its larger footprint may be an inconvenience. One beauty of the Road Machine is due to its more compact design you can stow it in the car and use it for warmups at races if you want.

What you WILL need is a bike computer that works off the rear wheel otherwise it'll go to sleep, failing to clock speed or time. Some brands with wireless transmitters don't have that kind of range. My Sigma 1609 STS works fine attached to the chainstay.

rnhood
11-19-2013, 06:40 PM
I agree with Peter, skip the R&R unless there is some specific reason to go with this model (I can't think of one). I did not think it offered any added value as the slight unsteadiness feel did a rather poor job of simulating actual road riding. Just get the standard Road model....and spend as little time as possible on it. Nothing beats being on the road.

aramis
11-19-2013, 09:53 PM
I agree with Peter, skip the R&R unless there is some specific reason to go with this model (I can't think of one). I did not think it offered any added value as the slight unsteadiness feel did a rather poor job of simulating actual road riding. Just get the standard Road model....and spend as little time as possible on it. Nothing beats being on the road.

I feel exactly the same way. I have a regular one I've used maybe 10 times.. it is so much better to be on the road. I mean it's good to have for when you really can't get out or need to test something or adjust fit quickly, but other than that it will sit dormant. I also can't put out nearly the wattage (use a powertap wheel with mine) that I can on the road indoors for some reason, so it feels less productive to use it.

Brian Cdn
11-19-2013, 10:58 PM
I too have the road machine.. and the larger bolt-on flywheel. The RM is a bit heavier to lug around but a darn sight more portable than the R&R.

The heavy flywheel affixes via one center bolt. Mine tends to wobble a bit. I wonder if anyone else has this happen ? I am thinking it could have been engineered better so that there's a more positive flywheel connection. As far as the ride goes, I do like the heavier flywheel. The spin ups seem more road-like and winter has started up here so any distraction is welcome.

Other than that.. the RM is right up there with the inside-ride rollers.

pro12tc
11-19-2013, 11:30 PM
Well I have the Rock&Roll.... and I have to agree with everyone else, just get the regular road machine.

Joe
11-20-2013, 12:27 AM
I have the R&R but would rather have the Road Machine. In response to my email inquiry, Kurt said they would sell a RM frame without the resistance unit. I am planning to buy the RM frame and transfer the resistance unit from my R&R.

The heavy flywheel affixes via one center bolt. Mine tends to wobble a bit. I wonder if anyone else has this happen ?.

I have the heavy flywheel and have no problems with wobble or vibration.

leooooo
11-20-2013, 08:22 AM
Another +1 on the road. Had both, sold the R&R. Takes up way too much space and I wasnt really rocking it anyway

cash05458
11-20-2013, 04:04 PM
I too had abit of a wobble when I added the heavier flywheel (which I like using at times and go back and forth just for the variation during winter)...contacted Kurt and they sent me a whole other resistance unit and a box to ship them back the first unit...and I had bought the machine second hand and had told them this...not a problem, they said, we still warranty it for life...really great company in my opinion...

yoshirider
11-20-2013, 04:26 PM
agree with the Rock and Roll leaning to one side. it's annoying as heck! don't do it

Gat64
11-20-2013, 06:38 PM
I have the R&R and like the fact that there is another sensation on the machine other than sitting in a rigid setup. But I have to admit that the swaying is not that realistic - too much resistance which makes it feel a bit weird.

I have not noticed any particular lean with mine.