PDA

View Full Version : OT: Volvo and Van Damme = the most epic split

Buzz
11-18-2013, 11:50 PM
http://youtu.be/M7FIvfx5J10

My favorite comment about it: "Van Damme doing the splits between two massive trucks driving backwards into the sunset in synch with Enya pretty much defines the entire internet."

Followed by "It's also worth mentioning that the idiots arguing with each other on whether there were any special effects used in this commercial, equally defines the internet."

wooly
11-19-2013, 09:45 AM
Saw that. Pretty amazing. The guy is in great shape but man he looks weathered compared to the days of Bloodsport.

MattTuck
11-19-2013, 09:57 AM
For the love of all things holy, let's focus on the good things that come out of Belgium. Cycling greats, beer, fries.... cyclo-cross too.

sales guy
11-19-2013, 10:09 AM
I think it's interesting the trucks are driving backwards. Almost like the video was reversed...started in a split till upright.

Cool video. Not sure how some companies are going to top that.

And yeah, he's looking beat!

CunegoFan
11-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Saw that. Pretty amazing. The guy is in great shape but man he looks weathered compared to the days of Bloodsport.

He looks great compared to Seagal.

Bostic
11-19-2013, 10:24 AM
I like in the other video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHES6m-6F3Q

"We will drive forward of course?"
"No"
"Oh.."

azrider
11-19-2013, 10:50 AM
I think it's interesting the trucks are driving backwards. Almost like the video was reversed...started in a split till upright.

that was whole point of the video: the fact that the trucks can drive so straight and smooth while trailer tracks in straight line

phcollard
11-19-2013, 11:18 AM
For the love of all things holy, let's focus on the good things that come out of Belgium. Cycling greats, beer, fries.... cyclo-cross too.

Come on. Jean-Claude is one of our best export products! He is muscles from Brussels! :)

summilux
11-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Don't forget Hercule Poirot.

goonster
11-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Hercule Poirot.
Fictional creation of a British writer.

He's as Belgian as Winnetou (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnetou) is American.

Bruce K
11-19-2013, 12:33 PM
No special effects - this was a real demo of a stability program Volvo has introduced in the new big rigs.

He had a safety lanyard attached to one truck in case he slipped so that he would not fall to the ground

Pretty amazing

BK

binxnyrwarrsoul
11-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Bloodsport was 26 years ago. He's 53 and still able to do stuff like this.

William
11-19-2013, 03:48 PM
I thought he had quit and started a band with Bolo????:confused:

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/misc/JCVD%20Band.gif

William;)

eippo1
11-19-2013, 04:52 PM
that was way better than i expectd.

parris
11-19-2013, 04:53 PM
^lol !!!

Climb01742
11-19-2013, 05:12 PM
a good product demo, well crafted and memorable, is still some of the best advertising. well done to all involved. 33 million views in 6 days is pretty amazing.

MattTuck
11-19-2013, 05:26 PM
a good product demo, well crafted and memorable, is still some of the best advertising. well done to all involved. 33 million views in 6 days is pretty amazing.

Agreed. But how many of those 33 million are in the market for a new truck?

Climb01742
11-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Agreed. But how many of those 33 million are in the market for a new truck?

How do you reach CEOs, CFOs, chief procurement officers, and the whole string of folks who weigh in on fleet purchases of trucks? This is a classic and very well done 'halo' ad, meant to plant good impressions of Volvo trucks into the minds of probably mostly European corporate execs who either buy or use trucks. Those sorts of key influencers can be hard to reach with conventional ads.

rustychisel
11-19-2013, 06:07 PM
lol, will you stop being the voice of reason for a second and just acknowledge it's van Damme being used as a gimmick?

It pretty much sums up his career

Frankwurst
11-19-2013, 06:58 PM
How do you reach CEOs, CFOs, chief procurement officers, and the whole string of folks who weigh in on fleet purchases of trucks? This is a classic and very well done 'halo' ad, meant to plant good impressions of Volvo trucks into the minds of probably mostly European corporate execs who either buy or use trucks. Those sorts of key influencers can be hard to reach with conventional ads.

Correct. Also done for American Fleet owners. These guys read magazines, watch TV and spend millions on trucks and millions is not that many trucks. One new truck cost more than most peoples home. :beer:

henry14
11-20-2013, 01:35 AM
White warrior!

Dave B
11-20-2013, 06:26 AM
My brother in law drives a semi, and he loves it. Told me all about it, told me about the trucks (wicked expensive) but says the ride is awesome.

I think it was an awesome move and for many of us we still remember the good days of his action movies.

Great marketing idea and has garnered interest.

Mr. Squirrel
12-09-2013, 03:54 PM
my good friend mr s. ed, raccoon will be suing mr. van damme very soon. s. ed legally trade marked "the splits" long before mr. vd's stunt. legal papers will be served soon by mr. weasal. be prepared mr. vd. that is not nuts!

mr. squirrel

2LeftCleats
12-20-2013, 12:36 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T-D1KVIuvjA

Chuck Norris goes one better

ultraman6970
12-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Every time I mention van damme for any reason my wife says... "isnt the guy that always appears butt naked in his movies?" , still trying to find a real meaning to her words hehe, so rather do not ask :)

CSTRider
12-21-2013, 10:40 PM
<deleted redundant post to chuck norris video>

:fight:

binxnyrwarrsoul
12-22-2013, 05:24 AM
Correct. Also done for American Fleet owners. These guys read magazines, watch TV and spend millions on trucks and millions is not that many trucks. One new truck cost more than most peoples home. :beer:

Very few companies "own" their fleets. Leasing seems to be the norm. And as nice as the Volvos are, price and parts availability is what drives a company to a certain truck. My company (Milk/Food service in NYC) runs Internationals, which aren't the best in any category, imo but are the least expensive. We ran Mercedes cab-overs a ways back, nicest truck I've ever driven. Cost, as mentioned is way up there. Just the refridgeration unit on my truck can run $10K+.

thunderworks
12-22-2013, 08:59 AM
my good friend mr s. ed, raccoon will be suing mr. van damme very soon. s. ed legally trade marked "the splits" long before mr. vd's stunt. legal papers will be served soon by mr. weasal. be prepared mr. vd. that is not nuts!

mr. squirrel

The racoon is in Canada though, where VD didn't register "the splits". He can only be sued in the US