PDA

View Full Version : De Rosa internal cable routing question

Gsinill
11-18-2013, 10:28 PM
I just acquired an old Nuovo Classico TSX frame that needs some overhaul.
It has some rust issues and the cable housing is stuck in the internal routing of the top tube.
How is the internal routing designed? Is there an additional tube/channel inside the TT connecting the two openings, or are there basically just the 2 openings without connection in between?
Given that the housing is not moving at all, I would assume the former is the case...

Thanks
GS

ultraman6970
11-19-2013, 12:35 AM
If the bike was built right it should have a piece of tubing connecting both ends... not this is the catch;

It depends a lot of how they attacked the problem too, I have seen internal routing that takes the whole cable with housing all the way to the other side and I have seen the one that basically uses 2 pieces of cable housing at each side, since you are complaining that apparently you have cable housing I will assume that is not housing but the "stops" at the entrance and the exit of the tube and not housing.

If the naked cable goes from side to side then you are ok, just cut two pieces of cable housing and reinforce it with plastic or metal ends and stick them in the holes, they wont go anywhere.

Hope this helps.

oldpotatoe
11-19-2013, 06:09 AM
I just acquired an old Nuovo Classico TSX frame that needs some overhaul.
It has some rust issues and the cable housing is stuck in the internal routing of the top tube.
How is the internal routing designed? Is there an additional tube/channel inside the TT connecting the two openings, or are there basically just the 2 openings without connection in between?
Given that the housing is not moving at all, I would assume the former is the case...

Thanks
GS

It is a metal tube brazed onto the two fittings you see outside the top tube, for brake housing, entire length. I have had some get stuck, rusted in there. Spray some liquid wrench in there, around the housing or perhaps just pull out, the spiral of the housing will unwind where you can pull it out. But it is a mess and even if you get the metal of the housing out, the plastic coating remnants may still be stuck in there.

Gsinill
11-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Thanks guys, this helps a lot.

Yeah, pretty rusty around the fittings so I guess this will be fun.