PDA

View Full Version : So which bike would you convert.

Nooch
11-18-2013, 02:13 PM
I've been toying around with converting one of my bikes to fixed for the winter with an ENO eccentric rear hub. Found the hub, now just have to decide which to do.

Bike 1: Serotta Pronto -- this bike would see any and all racing miles I manage next year, is titanium, and is a great bike. Room for only 24-25's, though. PF30, currently has a standard crank.

Bike 2: K.Bedford lugged steel -- could be fun, this is my longer distance ride, rides like a dream.. haven't tried to test the tire limitations. Traditional BB, currently has a standard crank.

Bike 3: Specialized CruX, cx bike, can fit any and all sorts of rubber, has a BB30 with a compact crank, have a 46 (maybe 48, don't remember) tooth big ring that can move to the inside, probably the easiest of the three to convert, rides kind of heavy and dead, has a different geo than the other two, but x/y are fairly close..

So if you had such first world problems -- which bike would you use?

Fishbike
11-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Crux. It has the most flexibility. Will be easiest to convert. And riding great bikes like the Bedford or Pronto as a single speed just seems wrong

Germany_chris
11-18-2013, 02:27 PM
I had visions like you did this spring, so I set about getting an Eno laced to a set of rims I bought from ultraman it was about the same price as buying my Trek Earl so I did just that. I traded my Serotta which I sold to someone here for a neato steel SS/Fixed Trek I don't regret the decision one bit.

My vote buy an inexpensive SS

Nooch
11-18-2013, 02:36 PM
I had visions like you did this spring, so I set about getting an Eno laced to a set of rims I bought from ultraman it was about the same price as buying my Trek Earl so I did just that. I traded my Serotta which I sold to someone here for a neato steel SS/Fixed Trek I don't regret the decision one bit.

My vote buy an inexpensive SS

eh, the wife wouldn't be too happy with another bike coming in, but doesn't mind me doing this...

AngryScientist
11-18-2013, 02:36 PM
id say definitely the crux. the other two are nice road bikes that you've got dialed in nicely. i think you'd have to be crazy to take them apart to run fixed gear for a few months and then need to build back up. that, and there are plenty of nice days over the winter where i would want either of those bikes available for long road rides.

Germany_chris
11-18-2013, 04:15 PM
eh, the wife wouldn't be too happy with another bike coming in, but doesn't mind me doing this...

For me it was a simple CBA...

bironi
11-18-2013, 04:39 PM
I'd go with one of the bikes you like. Sell the CruX. Who needs heavy and dead? It's supposed to be fun. I have a good buddy who has been riding mostly fixed with me over the last several years. He started out with an old pos Schwinn, and finally got rid of it this year. He regrets waiting so damn long to make the change. Don't be that guy.:beer:

HugoBear
11-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Crux. It has the most flexibility. Will be easiest to convert. And riding great bikes like the Bedford or Pronto as a single speed just seems wrong

Totally agree.

bironi
11-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Totally agree.

Well then, call me wrong. I have a winter Medici and a summer De Rosa, both fixed. I have no regrets riding both for most of my miles annually.

ColonelJLloyd
11-19-2013, 09:03 AM
Bedford

Nooch
11-19-2013, 09:10 AM
Think I'm gonna call this one with the decision being the Crux.. can always run it SSCX if I wanted to and not worry about putting the running gear back on it..

plus, it'll clear my studded snow tires... so single/fixed with studded snows - that thing will be unstoppable during the winter :)

Fixed
11-19-2013, 09:14 AM
the one that is right to you
pick the one you like to ride best you will ride it more
rainy day chance over ready go the next day
cheers have fun :)

AngryScientist
11-19-2013, 09:34 AM
that thing will be unstoppable during the winter :)

you know the bike is less than half the equation, right??:hello:

Nooch
11-19-2013, 09:39 AM
you know the bike is less than half the equation, right??:hello:

well since i'm cutting my commute down to just three miles each way (assuming I don't hunt down the extra miles), i think I can fulfill the other half!