PDA

View Full Version : OT: Want to buy motorcycle

azrider
11-18-2013, 11:01 AM
I, like Angry last year, am interested in purchasing a motorcycle. It will be primarily for commuting with hardly any highway driving and I don't want it to have the capabilty of going very fast because I will want to test it's limits. I'm seeking knowledge as to the kind of bike i'm looking for (examples below) and how difficult they are for upkeep. Also, i'm 6'2"....would it be super uncomfortable on these smaller cafe racer type bikes?

Has anyone heard or have any experience with Royal Enfield? I know they were British and bought by Indian company but how are they in regards to reliability? Below is a 1999 500CC RE a guy is selling locally. Looks decent.

http://images.craigslist.org/00B0B_6m5JLtWT09Z_600x450.jpg

Late 70's Honda CB's have also peaked my interested.

A local guy is trying to sell this '75 Suzuki below. Seems pretty sweet.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Suzuki-GT750-1975-GT-750-M-/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/z/ktgAAOxyXDhShrBh/$_12.JPG

velomateo
11-18-2013, 11:15 AM
I have a friend back home that bought one of the India built Royal Enfield bikes. Interesting bike, but the build quality is not that great. I would pass on that one. Also, the Suzuki GT500 is very cool bike, with it's water cooled 2-stroke twin. I have no direct experience with one of these, but I do with the similar 2-stroke Yamaha and Kawasaki products of the same era. Two strokes can be somewhat unreliable. When they are running, thay are a ton of fun...but not a good commuter, in my opinion.
You seem to be drawn to the more unique models. Might I suggest an older BMW, like a mid 70's R75. They run forever, are easy to work on, and they are rather tall bikes - so they would fit your 6'2" frame well. Good luck in your search.

David Tollefson
11-18-2013, 11:25 AM
You could also check out the newer Honda NC700 line, and the Kawi 400cc standards. If a single floats your boat, check out the Ryca conversion of the Suzuki C40 (Savage). I really like these. The C40's can be had dirt cheap, and the conversion looks REALLY nice. I can see that one as my "next" motorcycle (if I can't swing a Thruxton).

AngryScientist
11-18-2013, 11:27 AM
excellent decision!

the only thing i regret about getting a motorcycle is not getting one sooner. seriously; for people with reasonably short commutes and seasonably warm weather year round, a motorcycle just make so much sense.

i cant speak specifically to the models you mention, but in general i would probably avoid a 2-stroke motor for a commuter typed bike, jut from experience, 2-strokers can be a real headache. also, keep in mind that from a reliability and refinement perspective, fuel injection really changed everything for small engines. they run cleaner, more efficiently, and eliminate one of the major sources of trouble in a small engine. carb'd engines have a little more "character", but FI is a turn-key dream.

good luck on the hunt, fun stuff.

Ken Robb
11-18-2013, 11:28 AM
the Suzuki "Water Buffalo" is collectable and I don't know about parts availability. As a powerful 2-stroke they get lousy (30+/-) MPG and use tire sizes precluding modern designs.

The RE is popular as a retro-cycle that looks/performs like the 1950 design it is though it has improved reliability.

At 6'2 I think you would be very comfy on a 2009 and newer Kawasaki KLR 650. Great all around bike with decent off-road ability, good MPG, and lots of aftermarket support for luggage, etc. They will do 95 mph and cruise comfortably at 75 mph but are perfectly happy plonking along in traffic. The upright seating position is comfy and great for seeing what's happening in traffic.

A Suzuki 650 V-Strom is also good for all the above reasons but they cost more and trade some off-road ability for higher on-road performance (105-115 MPH) which you don't care about.

christian
11-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Royal Enfield or Water Buffalo? Geez, you don't like to make things easy on yourself!

Get a 2000-2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250. Reliable, boring, great to learn on, fit tall guys pretty well. Alternately, look at a Suzuki DR650 or DRZ400.

Lewis Moon
11-18-2013, 11:30 AM
No on the RE.
If you want quality, stick with one of the Japanese bikes (or a Duck!). I owned a Honda Hawk GT NT650 for a lot of years. Nice naked sport/standard with a LOT of info on modification and maintenance. Very fun.

Honda Hawk Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_NT650)

Ken Robb
11-18-2013, 11:32 AM
The Royal Enfield in the photo has a drum front brake which is not as good as a disc. That tells me this bike is old enough it might be one of the earlier ones imported to the USA. They were not as reliable as the later imports and this one may be too old to have electric starting. You don't want to be a newbie without electric starting.

For a commuter I would also place high priority on decent wind protection too. You would be amazed how much drier/warmer a rider is behind a good fairing/windshield when it's cold and/or rainy.

christian
11-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Honda CB750 Nighthawk from 1993-2005 would be a good option too. A bit big, but a pretty gentle learner for a big boy.

DrSpoke
11-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Try to find a Ducati Monster on for size - I think they would be ok for someone of your height. The 620s are not that fast and the torque curve and seating makes them great bikes for around town riding. They also made an 800 and even the early 900s are not overpowered. Also the Suzuki 650SV. All are modern, great handling bikes with good brakes.

Ken Robb
11-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Honda CB750 Nighthawk from 1993-2005 would be a good option too. A bit big, but a pretty gentle learner for a big boy.

yep-they require very little maintenance too. Limited options for wind protection/off-road riding though.

thirdgenbird
11-18-2013, 12:34 PM
I would look for an sv650. You can pick them up cheap, they are a ball of fun no manner your experience level, they start every time, and you can sell them a few years later for very little loss. I've spent time on r1s, fireblades, and daytonas. I think the SV is a better commuting bike than any of them.

The r1 is a better highway bike and the Daytona is more fun, but both for reasons that a beginner shouldn't be on them..

I would stray away from an older bike unless you really like to tinker. All my friends that started on old bikes grew tired of little repairs. As reliable as some old bikes are, there will always be something. Brakes is a good point too. I've owned a hopped up cafe bike with drum brakes. It was more dangerous than a full on crotch rocket. If you don't go SV, there are some good options above. (Night hawk, ninja 250, ninja 500)

azrider
11-18-2013, 12:41 PM

Just did some looking and there are a few on local Craigslist for cheap. I had another buddy tell me that Honda's are pretty damn reliable too so that's important factor.

good luck on the hunt, fun stuff.
thanks dude....yeah i'm thinking if we can eliminate one of our cars and have me commute on motorcyle we can save some good cash over next year or two

No on the RE.
If you want quality, stick with one of the Japanese bikes (or a Duck!). I owned a Honda Hawk GT NT650 for a lot of years. Nice naked sport/standard with a LOT of info on modification and maintenance. Very fun.

Dude that's mean looking bike.....i like it but probably out of my price range

wallymann
11-18-2013, 12:49 PM
great for a starter and plenty of performance to keep an experienced motorcyclist smiling ear-to-ear. there's a huge user-community with great support to maintain/modify to your heart's content, but the thing is so dang reliable that stuff would be only if you're motivated. mine is heavily modified (http://brown-snout.com/motorrad/sv650r/).

http://brown-snout.com/motorrad/sv650r/sv-r_frontquarter.jpg

I would look for an sv650. You can pick them up cheap, they are a ball of fun no manner your experience level, they start every time, and you can sell them a few years later for very little loss. I've spent time on r1s, fireblades, and daytonas. I think the SV is a better commuting bike than any of them.

The r1 is a better highway bike and the Daytona is more fun, but both for reasons that a beginner shouldn't be on them..

I would stray away from an older bike unless you really like to tinker. All my friends that started on old bikes grew tired of little repairs. As reliable as some old bikes are, there will always be something. Brakes is a good point too. I've owned a hopped up cafe bike with drum brakes. It was more dangerous than a full on crotch rocket. If you don't go SV, there are some good options above. (Night hawk, ninja 250, ninja 500)

dancinkozmo
11-18-2013, 12:55 PM
...you seem to have an eye for the retro style bikes ...if youre just starting out i would suggest giving the Moto Guzzi V7 series a look...kind of expensive, but the reliability is good , not too much power, shaft drive, simple air cooled engine and good looks...

azrider
11-18-2013, 01:00 PM
great for a starter and plenty of performance to keep an experienced motorcyclist smiling ear-to-ear. there's a huge user-community with great support to maintain/modify to your heart's content, but the thing is so dang reliable that stuff would be only if you're motivated. mine is heavily modified (http://brown-snout.com/motorrad/sv650r/).

http://brown-snout.com/motorrad/sv650r/sv-r_frontquarter.jpg
no way dude.....i'd kill myself on that thing
...you seem to have an eye for the retro style bikes ...if youre just starting out i would suggest giving the Moto Guzzi V7 series a look...kind of expensive, but the reliability is good , not too much power, shaft drive, simple air cooled engine and good looks...

correct in reagards to styling.....and that Guzzi is pretty hot

cp43
11-18-2013, 01:03 PM
I picked up a Kawasaki Versys a couple years ago, I think a Versys would work well for you. It fits me pretty well, I'm just shy of 6'3".

I agree on the looks of the Moto Guzzi, My fiancee has one, a V7 classic. At 6'2" a V7 will be small for you. The few times I've ridden her bike, I felt like a bear on a circus trike.

Have fun, and ride safe.

Chris

dancinkozmo
11-18-2013, 01:03 PM
thanks dude....yeah i'm thinking if we can eliminate one of our cars and have me commute on motorcyle we can save some good cash over next year or two

you may not save as much as you think....you'll save on gas , but spend more on maintenance and things like , chains, tires, brakepads, and dont forget insurance ....
despite that , i hope you go for it, motorcycling is truly amazing !

azrider
11-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Might I suggest an older BMW, like a mid 70's R75. They run forever, are easy to work on, and they are rather tall bikes - so they would fit your 6'2" frame well. Good luck in your search.

found exactly what you described for $2200....but i think this guy tried turning it into a cafe racer, did a piss poor job, and now it looks like junk

http://images.craigslist.org/00P0P_hBMfZmenlTF_600x450.jpg

malcolm
11-18-2013, 01:17 PM

Guzzi's are awesome very unique bikes that feels like no other. I would be wary if I didn't have a long standing reputable shop nearby that I thought would be there for a while with a good mechanic. You can find left over model year guzzi's at great prices.

azrider
11-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Try to find a Ducati Monster on for size - I think they would be ok for someone of your height. The 620s are not that fast and the torque curve and seating makes them great bikes for around town riding. They also made an 800 and even the early 900s are not overpowered. Also the Suzuki 650SV. All are modern, great handling bikes with good brakes.

wow...these monsters are pretty mean. Ducati just sounds expensive though. Are they reliable? Expensive to fix?

http://images.craigslist.org/00707_2vzbrqoNWoV_600x450.jpg

Lewis Moon
11-18-2013, 01:42 PM
wow...these monsters are pretty mean. Ducati just sounds expensive though. Are they reliable? Expensive to fix?

Ducks are sweet. Be advised, the valves are very finicky.

I'd own one in a heartbeat...

norcalbiker
11-18-2013, 01:42 PM
No on the RE.

Stay away from any Italian, British or any bike outside Japanese for commuter. Unless you have a lot of disposable income.

Lewis Moon
11-18-2013, 01:47 PM
KTM Supermotard.

thirdgenbird
11-18-2013, 01:51 PM

I want one of those...

Stay away from any Italian, British or any bike outside Japanese for commuter. Unless you have a lot disposable income.

I've owned a modern Triumph (as have some friends) and I never had a lick of trouble with it. It was every bit as reliable as similar Japanese bikes. Parts were more expensive, but it didn't manner if you kept it up.

norcalbiker
11-18-2013, 01:58 PM
I want one of those...

I've owned a modern Triumph (as have some friends) and I never had a lick of trouble with it. It was every bit as reliable as similar Japanese bikes. Parts were more expensive, but it didn't manner if you kept it up.

I do understand what you saying. The dilemma I have with non Japanese bike is they're maintenance schedule. Ducati for example, they are required to get every 6K miles service and their 12k service are about $600 to $800 and this for an old Duc. Same with Beemer. I have a triumph triple and I hate it. sold it after 2 years. You can't go wrong on a Japanese bike for commuter. If you want to pose on Saturday or Sunday morning at Starbucks, then ride a Duck or Triumph or KTM or MV Agusta or Aprillia or BMW or you get point?

Lewis Moon
11-18-2013, 02:02 PM
If you want to pose on Saturday or Sunday morning at Starbucks, then ride a Duck or Triumph or KTM or MV Agusta or Aprillia or BMW or you get point?

...or a Colnago, or a Serotta, or a Firefly, or a Coconino, or a Zanconato....
you get the picture.

norcalbiker
11-18-2013, 02:08 PM
...or a Colnago, or a Serotta, or a Firefly, or a Coconino, or a Zanconato....
you get the picture.

I rest my case!!!

Btw, you can't pose with those frames unless it's dressed with Campy.

LOL!!!

Louis
11-18-2013, 02:11 PM
How does the "serious injury per hour riding" ratio compare for motorcycles vs bikes?

I'd love to commute on one every now and then, but I've always figured that they were more dangerous than bikes. (then again, all my box-driving neighbors think cycling is insanely dangerous and are amazed that I do that...)

azrider
11-18-2013, 02:32 PM
How does the "serious injury per hour riding" ratio compare for motorcycles vs bikes?

I'd love to commute on one every now and then, but I've always figured that they were more dangerous than bikes. (then again, all my box-driving neighbors think cycling is insanely dangerous and are amazed that I do that...)

If you're riding on the highway I'd have to guess it injury ratio rises exponentially. Luckily I can commute my 8 miles on backroads.

malcolm
11-18-2013, 02:38 PM
the majority of serious motorcycle accidents are left turns in front of you and occur in town or on back roads. Interstate especially with another bike is probably the safest place also the most boring.

Lewis Moon
11-18-2013, 02:39 PM
If you're riding on the highway I'd have to guess it injury ratio rises exponentially. Luckily I can commute my 8 miles on backroads.

If you're near a highway with an HOV lane, you're in luck. Probably the safest miles you'll do. You're in a (somewhat) sparsely populated lane and you usually have a sweet bail-out lane to the left (aka: the left shoulder). I have never understood MCs riding in the middle lanes when the HOV lane was available.

azrider
11-18-2013, 02:48 PM
If you're near a highway with an HOV lane, you're in luck. Probably the safest miles you'll do. You're in a (somewhat) sparsely populated lane and you usually have a sweet bail-out lane to the left (aka: the left shoulder). I have never understood MCs riding in the middle lanes when the HOV lane was available.

yeah man the availability of HOV lanes 'round here is big time selling point to motorcycle ownership imo

buldogge
11-18-2013, 03:20 PM
The SV is actually a very stable/easy bike to ride, and make a great commuter.

The older ('99-'02?) naked models with a set of adjustable Laverda/Jota bars is a nice choice.

I had a '99 with Penske suspension, a small fairing, solo seat, and exhaust and it was a great around town blaster.

In fact...I still have a 'S' model cockpit/gauge cluster sitting in my garage that I need to sell!

I'm also a huuge fan of the Honda VFR...I have an '02 800i still.

-Mark in St. Louis

no way dude.....i'd kill myself on that thing

correct in reagards to styling.....and that Guzzi is pretty hot

William
11-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Honda CBX1000

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/moto_gallery/HONDACBX1000-1372_1.jpg

http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/classic_bikes/CBX.jpg

Or the Super Sport version

http://www.midamericaauctions.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/honda-cbx82-super-sport-1-5109.jpg

http://www.2040motos.com/_content/cars/images/71/39571/006.jpg

William

christian
11-18-2013, 03:33 PM
William has a good point. A turbo Hayabusa can be a little bit easy to handle after all.

William
11-18-2013, 03:39 PM
William has a good point. A turbo Hayabusa can be a little bit easy to handle after all.

As a fellow clydesdale, you need some extra horses to handle the added personage. 250 pounds on a 1000 is like a 150 pounds on a 500 right???:confused:

;););):)

William

rice rocket
11-18-2013, 03:41 PM
I have a Monster. It's finicky for sure. It looks nice though, and they hold their resale.

If you're gonna get a gutless 250, get a dual sport and hit the woods!

norcalbiker
11-18-2013, 03:45 PM

Maybe in AZ, but not here in CALIFORNIA.

Like George Zimmer said "I GUARANTEE IT"

azrider
11-18-2013, 03:48 PM
this looks pretty sweet: 73 Honda CB 350F

http://images.craigslist.org/00t0t_bVziiP89ag5_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00d0d_f6slffkO9rC_600x450.jpg

3000 obo

christian
11-18-2013, 03:51 PM
You want a cheap commuter, or you want a fancy toy to fiddle with?

Louis
11-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Wouldn't finding parts for a '73 be a nightmare?

thirdgenbird
11-18-2013, 03:57 PM
I do understand what you saying. The dilemma I have with non Japanese bike is they're maintenance schedule. Ducati for example, they are required to get every 6K miles service and their 12k service are about $600 to $800 and this for an old Duc. Same with Beemer. I have a triumph triple and I hate it. sold it after 2 years. You can't go wrong on a Japanese bike for commuter. If you want to pose on Saturday or Sunday morning at Starbucks, then ride a Duck or Triumph or KTM or MV Agusta or Aprillia or BMW or you get point?

First it should be said that I recommended a Suzuki. It is a better commuter.

Second, I didn't say anything about a Ducati or BMW. It just isn't my experience that a modern triumph is any more expensive than a modern Japanese bike.

The valve clearance check on my triumph was every 12000 miles. The valve clearance check on my Kawasaki was every 6000. Labor rate was the same for both.

What triumph did you have and why did you hate it?

Edit: by parts cost, I was talking about body work and such. If you keep the bike upright, it shouldn't cost more. Lay it down and it may. Again, not my commuter recommendation, just my experience with cost.

rice rocket
11-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Ducatis require timing belts every 7500 mi (used to be every 6000). Like $120 if you do it yourself, or 5-6x that if you go to the dealer.

Valves settle themselves around 20k mi, so you don't have to do much shimming after then anyways.

azrider
11-18-2013, 04:14 PM
You want a cheap commuter, or you want a fancy toy to fiddle with?

I want a cheap commuter but i also want to become self sufficient and do some of the mechanical work myself. I've always been very intimidated by DIY car stuff but after I started forcing myself to do it i found it to become less and less intimidating.

I've got a buddy who said the Honda CB's are ultra reliable, good starter, and very DIY fixable.

That not a valid statement?

William
11-18-2013, 04:17 PM
=

I've got a buddy who said the Honda CB's are ultra reliable, good starter, and very DIY fixable.

That not a valid statement?

My first bike was a CB900 Custom. Have to agree, CB's are super reliable.

William

christian
11-18-2013, 04:26 PM

That not a valid statement?They're a cheap, 40 year-old motorcycle owned by 10 people before you. Ultra-reliable is not the words I'd use!

A 2007 Ninja 250 is functionally identical (ok it has a waterpump and radiator), but 35 years newer. Still has screw-type valve adjustments, spin-on oil filter, etc.

A CB750 Nighthawk has hydraulic valve-lash and cam chain adjusters, so you never even have to take the valve covers off! And no sloshy-sloshy-pump-pump. That's as near a zero-maintenance motorcycle as you can get.

I like CB350s and the old stuff as much as the next guy, but as a year-round commuter? No way. I ride a 2007 Ninja 250 for the commute; change the oil 2x per year, grease the chain, check tire pressures.

norcalbiker
11-18-2013, 05:25 PM
What triumph did you have and why did you hate it?

I had a triple speed and did not like it at all. Not even close comparison to my Ducati Monster S4RS.

Anyways, the OP was asking commuter bike and I do not recommend any no-Japanese due mileage.

I have been riding M/C for 40 years and I rode a lot of different MFG and Models. I have been commuting on a motorcycle for over 30 years. I commute 98 miles round trip to work almost on a daily basis rain or shine, unless of course it's monsoon. Well not so much in a rain anymore. Here in Northern CA where I live and work from Solano CO to SF (via hwy 80) M/C is the way for me to commute. People who lives here knows what I am talking about. At the moment I have a Yamaha FZ1 as my commuter (see photo). The bike has almost 90k miles for over 4 years of commuting. I go through this every 4 or 5 years. My last commuter was a Kawasaki Z1000 and I rack up 138k miles before I gave it to my nephew. So far I have only done 1 major service with valve adjustment. Other than that I do my own maintenance myself like changing all fluids, brake pads, chain and sprocket and so on. I cannot do this on a Ducati, MV Agusta or even a Harley. It will cost a lot of $$$.

So my point is, for commuter you cannot beat Japanese bikes to rack up mileage and still have some coins left in your pocket.

Ken Robb
11-18-2013, 05:48 PM
Ducatis require timing belts every 7500 mi (used to be every 6000). Like $120 if you do it yourself, or 5-6x that if you go to the dealer.

Valves settle themselves around 20k mi, so you don't have to do much shimming after then anyways.

Belt replacement for my ST3 Duc is recommended every 12,000 miles. I think the latest Ducs go 12,000 between valve checks too. One interesting aside: in San Diego GP Motorcycles is my Ducati dealer of choice. There are others but they are not as convenient. Like the BMW dealer I think all of their mechanics are really good and well-trained. OTOH, SOME of the "mechanics" at the Japanese bike shops are scary in their lack of skill and training. I guess I should be surprised when the shop sells 4 major brands and all of their many different models. How could they ever find time to learn procedures for so many bikes? I don't feel too bad paying the bill for service on the Duc because I know the work was done right.

On my 1995 BMW R1100R I did all the service myself. It was very easy and straight-forward. When I sat on my roll-around mechanic's stool the valves on the horizontal cylinders were right at chest height with the bike on its centerstand.

Ken Robb
11-18-2013, 05:54 PM
There have been some wonderful bikes suggested here but some of them are too cramped for me at 6'1 to be comfortable riding them for more than a few miles. You can probably save yourself some time just by sitting on bikes you think might work. If you feel cramped or awkward (ape hangers, etc.) you needn't waste your time reading ads for those models.

jischr
11-18-2013, 06:26 PM
I have a $2,000 BMW R100RT, 1983. Old, easy to work on, but at 400+ pounds its not a city traffic bike. Were I looking for a city commuter I'd go with a 250-500cc single or twin with the weight in 300 pound or less range. One I could sit on, not lay on. Definitely go YamaKawHonda if you don't want to spend maintenance bucks or ship parts from across the country.

J.Greene
11-18-2013, 06:46 PM

If you subtract out the fatalities of drunks, high powered sport bikes and riders under 40 its about the same fatality risk as riding a bicycle iirc.

choke
11-18-2013, 07:10 PM
wow...these monsters are pretty mean. Ducati just sounds expensive though. Are they reliable? Expensive to fix?The older 2 valve motors are very reliable. I have one with almost 50k miles on it and it's been great - but my mileage pales in comparison to this one (http://www.ductalk.com/p/1246905913/2012/02/20/ductalk-photosofmotos-ducati-net-member-spotlight-philip-boncer-my-scruffy-197k-monster). If you do the work yourself they aren't really any more expensive than any other bike.

Belt replacement for my ST3 Duc is recommended every 12,000 miles. Yep, 2 years or 12k. Belts run $40 each, at least for my 2v 900 and is a very simple job.

thirdgenbird
11-18-2013, 07:25 PM
My last commuter was a Kawasaki Z1000 and I rack up 138k miles before I gave it to my nephew.

That is awesome. Did it still ride and look new? I've not been round many bikes with that kind of miles. I haven't been on a z1000 but would like to.

I don't want to dive too far off topic, but any experience with the new cb1100? I'm over sport bikes and see myself going at touch retro someday.

I have a $2,000 BMW R100RT, 1983. Old, easy to work on, but at 400+ pounds its not a city traffic bike. Were I looking for a city commuter I'd go with a 250-500cc single or twin with the weight in 300 pound or less range. One I could sit on, not lay on. Definitely go YamaKawHonda if you don't want to spend maintenance bucks or ship parts from across the country.

One of the reasons I suggested an sv650. I love the ninja 250 but they feel fairly small (says the 6'1" guy wanting a honda grom)

maj
11-18-2013, 08:28 PM
OP

STOP!!!!!!!

First, before you do anything, take a weekend and sign up for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) intro course. You'll get a lot of hands on learning and be able to get your moto endorsement as well.

Read through good moto magazines and go to motorcycle forums for real advice instead of listening to a bunch of douchy no-nothing bicyclists. :D

Buy the best gear you can afford. It'll probably run you about $1,000 for a good helmet, jacket, gloves etc. Always wear it (when you're on a motorcycle).

For a first bike, get a beater 'cause you're gonna drop it. I've been through a bunch of bikes and I agree with the advice on getting some reliable suzikawiyamahonda. I'm partial to Ducatis myself but the cans on a Ducati can cost more that you should spend on your first bike.

I've been riding for over 40 years and still have my first bike. A '72 Honda CB350 - bought it used when I was in High School and I'd still ride it anywhere.

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k445/majmontana/HPIM0656_1_zpseedc3d97.jpg

christian
11-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Solution:

Buy Ninja 250 for $1200. Ride for a summer. Sell for $1200.
Buy Maj's CB350 twin. One owner CB350s are pretty rare!

Louis
11-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Whatever you buy, be sure it can do this sort of thing:

(BTW, that second picture is probably Buldogge, because I think he lives in Frontenac ;) )

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/wp-content/uploads//2011/09/2011-Streetfighterz-ride-of-the-century.jpg

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18n37io1i46ptjpg/k-bigpic.jpg

mistermo
11-18-2013, 08:41 PM

The BIGGEST non-controllable risk you'll face comes from other motorists who don't "see" you. People will look right at you, but you won't register in their brain, and they'll pull right out in front of you. Riding back roads is great, but make sure you do EVERYTHING you can do to be seen. I don't like riding on the highway, but this doesn't happen (as much) there.

Ken Robb
11-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Just my opinion but I feel a lot safer on my Ducati than I do riding my bicycles on the road. I'm wearing more clothing (protective), I can accelerate out of situations, my brakes are better, my vehicle is more stable and drivers are somewhat more likely to seem on the Duc than on a bicycle. Having said that a crash at 70mph on a motorcycle is probably/possibly? going to cause broken bones but less loss of skin? Who knows?

Gummee
11-18-2013, 09:04 PM
4 pages and no one's mentioned the uber-commuter?

KLR!

No way the OP is gonna get hisself in over his head power-wise. Parts are cheap. Maint is easy (what is it? 4 wrenches to take the whole thing apart). Design didn't change for 20 years so you can ride a newer one or an older one and no-one knows but you. Decent-sized for the tall amongst us.

etc etc etc

After that, I'd probably recommend an older Concours. Cop bike engine that's been re-tuned. Made for 20 years so parts aren't a problem. Decent sized. Power but not enough to really get in trouble. etc

Then a boxer Beemer. Those R-bikes will go many thousands of miles with minimal TLC. Yes, you'll have to change oil every 6k and check the valves at the same time, but IME once you hit about 30k on em, the valves stop moving. ...adjusting said valves takes less time than taking off the valve covers. :nod

Good luck!

M

maj
11-18-2013, 09:24 PM

KLR!
M

To credit of the forum, no one mentioned a Harley Sporty in four pages either. Could probably pick one up cheap with very few miles from a mid-life crisis survivor. Take off the leather tassels and chrome farkels then ride the snot out of it.

DrSpoke
11-18-2013, 09:28 PM

They're actually very nice bikes - reliable, upright in town and fun on weekends. I've had great experience with reliability and though they may require a little more maintenance, the aformentioned belts and valve adjustment, it seems everything is expensive these days and don't think they're much more to maintain than most other bikes. The older Monsters aren't all that expensive to purchase. The look great, handle superb, and have great brakes. Look for ones with the steel tanks as the plastic (newer) one have had issues. If you want a 620, the best year was '04. That is the year they went to a 6-speed transmission but still had the good (gold-line) brakes. Great bikes.

maj
11-18-2013, 09:40 PM
Before and after pictures of my Monster when I broke it (and myself). Yeah, I know I didn't do the tail chop. Be sure to wear the best gear you can.

Before:
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k445/majmontana/lastducatipic.jpg

After:
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k445/majmontana/HPIM1039.jpg

Spin Diesel
11-18-2013, 09:57 PM
^^ should buff right out

+1 on the Monster, I owned one for three years and loved it.

As said above, they have their issues but aren't lemons by any means. Take care of the belts (if they haven't been done) and enjoy the bike. Mine was rock solid reliable for most of the time I owned it, my mechanic also swears the 620s are the least problematic of the Monsters.

Plus it got way more compliments than any other bike I've ever owned.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-kA9bKp_ea4M/ScKLkTPusoI/AAAAAAAAMfw/tcoKxcSwO2I/w843-h562-no/IMG_4979.JPG

aramis
11-18-2013, 09:59 PM
I used to ride a lot. Now, not so much anymore.

First bike I bought was an EX500 from my brother. It was a good bike and I rode it a good amount. Then I bought an SV650, it was awesome. Then a bunch of supersports and liter bikes I didn't really like, a couple DRZ400sm's, more SV650's and all I have now is an SV650 and a DRZ400sm that needs an engine (bought it that way). I like riding a cheaper bike I'm not worried about destroying, you ride better that way.

Also it's really dangerous, no matter how much leather you are wearing.. especially if you want to ride at any speed or like to put it on one wheel every once in a while.

Really what you want in a first bike is something that you can figure out if you like riding a motorcycle or not and that is reliable. My friend wanted to learn to ride so he bought a brand new 2009 ZX6R and when we rode together to Nevada he put it into the side of a mountain (with about 1500 miles on it) and destroyed it.

You can get a flashy, fancy bike later but don't buy some piece of crap UJM (all those 70s CB whatevers) because it will likely never run right and cost you more than a cheap SV650 or ninja 650r. Just get a fairly late model japanese bike that's more of a standard riding position (SV650, EX500, ninja 250, GS500, ninja 650r, versys, etc..) and learn to ride and then if you're totally into it get a guzzi or ducati or ktm or bmw or whatever.

choke
11-18-2013, 10:00 PM
After:Ouch.

christian
11-19-2013, 05:42 AM
To credit of the forum, no one mentioned a Harley Sporty in four pages either. Could probably pick one up cheap with very few miles from a mid-life crisis survivor. Take off the leather tassels and chrome farkels then ride the snot out of it.

With hydraulic lifters and belt drive, an XL would make a great commuter, I think. Gas, oil, tires. The only issue for me would be how to mount a Givi trunk, but I assume a solution exists.

AngryScientist
11-19-2013, 06:09 AM
for the record, i've been very happy with my little cbr-250.

most everyone i know, both in real life and here on the internet told me i would want to "upgrade" immediately to something more powerful, but that has not been the case for me. i took a look at a bunch of bigger bikes, mostly italian names, and i'm even happier to have my light, easy to ride cbr. no regrets, and it think it's a keeper.

Dave B
11-19-2013, 06:16 AM
Love motorbike talk and always love to see other's opinions.

Here is my advice, so grains of salt and all of that. I get the buy a beater so you don't have to worry. I think the opposite, buy something you actually worry about so it is always on your mind...in a good way. Buy a bike that can do more then you want it to so if you decide you want it to you can explore just fine. Look for an upright riding style bike. Nothing wrong with a sport bike or cafe racer, but comfort isn't their number one priority. This is also fine, but be comfortable.

I get you just want to commute on the bike, but once you experience riding a motorcycle things change. The same route you ride your bike or car becomes different. Things look different, you become more aware of others around you and so on. The motorcycle safety class really is worth it. Debunks a lot of anxiety of riding a bike helps with insurance, and makes riding better. atmo

I have ridden a few monsters and one Diavel. All ducati and loved them. Just sold the ducati and am left with an old Harley 883 sportster. It works well and will do for the time being.

I love this bike right here and want one bad.

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/nc700x.aspx

I think it would make a great commuter bike, has "enough" power for a variety of things, has a decent sized trunk (which is rare) and you might be able to find a decent one used.

It would be the bike I would buy to commute on as well as see the sights.

best of luck!

Ken Robb
11-19-2013, 10:13 AM

KLR!

M

I suggested a KLR650 back on the first page. In my area dealers are asking $5000 for brand new leftovers from two years ago and they are identical to the latest models except for graphics.

norcalbiker
11-19-2013, 11:16 AM
That is awesome. Did it still ride and look new? I've not been round many bikes with that kind of miles. I haven't been on a z1000 but would like to.

Well, it is my commuter bike so it doesn't have to look pretty. But I did pretty much all the maintenance and make that it runs. My nephew still riding it from time to time. For me I need the 1000cc motor due to longevity. My current commuter at the moment is a Yamaha FZ1 that has almost 90k miles and my other nephew been waiting for it. LOL.

norcalbiker
11-19-2013, 11:23 AM
OP

STOP!!!!!!!

go to motorcycle forums for real advice instead of listening to a bunch of douchy no-nothing bicyclists. :D

What makes you think that cyclist are not capable of riding motorcycle or knows anything about motorcycle? :butt: In fact going to motorcycle forums will get you trouble and start learning the wrong way. Most M/C forums have way too many RACERS wannabe. This is one of the reasons we have a high fatality here California because of those "douchy racer wannabe". :D

maj
11-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Simmer down there - no need to get your lycra all bunched up. That there was sarcasm and I was including myself. Even inserted a smiley.

Crap, I spelled "know-nothing" wrong.

maj
11-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Back to the OP. I think you mentioned that you have a 8-mile commute. You should be "warned" that, on a nice day, that could easily turn into an 80-mile commute on motorcycle.

cp43
11-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Back to the OP. I think you mentioned that you have a 8-mile commute. You should be "warned" that, on a nice day, that could easily turn into an 80-mile commute on motorcycle.

Also back to the original question.

What is the real reason you want a motorcycle? You mentioned at one point saving money by replacing a car with a motorcycle, and commuting on it. If that's the main motivation, I say, skip the motor, and cycle to work, (8 miles, right?) this is a bicycle forum after all. :)

Don't take the above the wrong way. It's just that it doesn't seem like buying a motorcycle for an 8 mile commute will really save you any money. If you want a motorcycle to try something new and fun, that's a different thing. Go for it, expect to have fun, and expect that you may not save much money.

I'll also second the recommendation earlier on taking the MSF beginner course. If you do it, and get a bike, you'll be a safer rider. If you do it, and don't get a bike, you'll have had some fun, and learned something.

Chris

azrider
11-19-2013, 12:06 PM

ha

hey you seem to like Ducati's. Would you be scared off by a 1998 with over 40K miles? Needs new brake lever, left blinker, and stitching is coming apart but those seem like relatively easy fixes.

http://images.craigslist.org/00Y0Y_54xaRKYK2o7_600x450.jpg

maj
11-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I love Ducatis but honestly, I would not recommend a Monster for a first bike. They handle about as well as a telephone pole at slow speeds. The steering stops are pretty narrow and, unless you already possess some decent moto skills, you'll be doing 3-point u-turns across two lanes if you want to turn around. They are real fun at speed, once you have one set up, and you'll just want to go faster and faster but when things go wrong on any motorcycle, they go wrong real fast. I was laid out for quite a while and lucky to be alive after my big wreck.

I think Norcal's and other's advice is pretty sound regarding an upright Japanese bike in good condition. Someone mentioned a Kawi Versys, I'd look at something like that for a first bike.

I'd again recommend that you take the MSF course then try a few out and see what you feel comfortable on. Reading the previous posts, it's pretty common that people go through a number of bikes. That's part of the fun. Ride safe.

added: If you want to learn more about Monsters, this is a great forum:
http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php

aramis
11-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Also back to the original question.

What is the real reason you want a motorcycle? You mentioned at one point saving money by replacing a car with a motorcycle, and commuting on it. If that's the main motivation, I say, skip the motor, and cycle to work, (8 miles, right?) this is a bicycle forum after all. :)

Don't take the above the wrong way. It's just that it doesn't seem like buying a motorcycle for an 8 mile commute will really save you any money. If you want a motorcycle to try something new and fun, that's a different thing. Go for it, expect to have fun, and expect that you may not save much money.

I'll also second the recommendation earlier on taking the MSF beginner course. If you do it, and get a bike, you'll be a safer rider. If you do it, and don't get a bike, you'll have had some fun, and learned something.

Chris

If you factor in tire costs, motorcycle is pretty much always more expensive than a normal economy car.

My cheap 2001 ford focus gets 29mpg and my sv650 gets 45 mpg. The SV650 will go through a $250 set of tires in about 5-6k miles, (if I used sport touring tires I could do better like 7-9k, but I don't ride that much) and the focus uses a set of $300 tires in 40k+.

Add in the extra maintenance costs (valves every 15k, chain and spockets every 15k or so, etc..) and insurance costs, you end up at a much higher cost per mile.

Ken Robb
11-19-2013, 01:29 PM
If you factor in tire costs, motorcycle is pretty much always more expensive than a normal economy car.

My cheap 2001 ford focus gets 29mpg and my sv650 gets 45 mpg. The SV650 will go through a $250 set of tires in about 5-6k miles, (if I used sport touring tires I could do better like 7-9k, but I don't ride that much) and the focus uses a set of $300 tires in 40k+.

Add in the extra maintenance costs (valves every 15k, chain and spockets every 15k or so, etc..) and insurance costs, you end up at a much higher cost per mile.

All true. Commuting by MC should be because you think it's fun or that it allows you to use HOV lanes or (in CA.) lane-share to save time.
You might also get more convenient and/or cheaper parking.

norcalbiker
11-19-2013, 01:36 PM

Not always true and here is why.

I commute 98 miles a day on my 44mpg MC. By riding my MC, I am able used carpool lanes and saves me $5.00 a day on toll. My tires gives about 18k - 20k miles. I max my psi and I am not hard on the throttle. Maintenance is much than my car. No need to pay mechanic (mostly do it myself). My insurance cost less than may car. Parking Car $15/day (cheapest) MC $.40/hour. Most of the time they are free and I can't tell how. :)

My biggest savings is my time.
One way to work on MC = 48mins avg.
One way to work on a car = 1:32 avg.

norcalbiker
11-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Simmer down there - no need to get your lycra all bunched up. That there was sarcasm and I was including myself. Even inserted a smiley.

Crap, I spelled "know-nothing" wrong.

Non taken :bike:

azrider
11-19-2013, 01:38 PM
If I were to purchase a motorcyle we could eliminate the albatrose that is my wifes current car, she could drive my '97 Honda Accord (214000m) which in turn would help us save over $400 month in her car payments alone.

christian
11-19-2013, 01:43 PM
For that, you should buy a $2500 Civic. On a per mile basis, that'll be cheaper than even the cheapest motorcycle.

I ride my motorbike to the train station because I can park there for free and car parking is $600 per year. If parking were equivalent cost, I'd be driving an econobox.

I love motorcycles, but you need to look hard at the finances if you're doing this for monetary gain.

AngryScientist
11-19-2013, 01:46 PM
my cbr250 gets 80mpg all day, every day. i do all the maintenance myself, and it was $3,600 brand spankin new.

anyone who can beat that with a car is my hero.

J.Greene
11-19-2013, 01:46 PM
My insurance savings with the MC more than offsets added tire costs. I did buy a small city-ish bike for commuting with a belt drive so I don't have those costs either, but generally I just enjoy riding the bike more than I like driving. I'd pay more for that.

It's kind of funny but the 20" tires on my last Infiniti cost more than I paid for this little Buell.

azrider
11-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Ughh....man. Let me rephrase.

I've always wanted to own, and ride a motorcylce. It will be primarily used for commuting, which, is only 8 or 9 miles. I will get better parking at work, better gas mileage, and above all- I will be able to give my car to my soon to be wife and we'll be able to dump her current car. Both parties happy!! Yay.

I'm looking for something that is not too powerful, not too sporty, but something that will get me back n forth to work, maybe ad some saddle bags or comparents on the side to run quick errands and that's about it.

I prefer the styling of a moto-guzzi, BMW or other old skool bike but reliability is important.

azrider
11-19-2013, 01:50 PM
my cbr250 gets 80mpg all day, every day. i do all the maintenance myself, and it was $3,600 brand spankin new.

anyone who can beat that with a car is my hero.

this......this is where it's at.

aramis
11-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Not always true and here is why.

I commute 98 miles a day on my 44mpg MC. By riding my MC, I am able used carpool lanes and saves me $5.00 a day on toll. My tires gives about 18k - 20k miles. I max my psi and I am not hard on the throttle. Maintenance is much than my car. No need to pay mechanic (mostly do it myself). My insurance cost less than may car.

My biggest savings is my time.
One way to work on MC = 48mins avg.
One way to work on a car = 1:32 avg.

98 mile commute?! Almost 2 hours a day commuting? That sucks and is on more of the extreme side. I wouldn't last a week doing that. What kind of bike/tires are you getting 20k out of tires with? I mean as far as cost per mile you can still pretty much beat any bike (non scooter) with a cheap older hybrid or something if you really wanted to. Take an older insight for example but yes if you're comparing the right motorcycle to the right car you can possibly end up cheape.

I did have a 10 mile commute I used to do on my motorcycle that was way faster on a bike (20 min or so) but if I had to do it now I'd just ride my bicycle. Still for an 8 mile commute, you won't save anything getting a moto guzzi vs almost any car.

christian
11-19-2013, 01:53 PM
On tires alone, you'll need them 4 times as frequently at the same cost. You can't get a new car for the same price, but a used car can be damn near as cheap as a bike in purchase price and will generally be cheaper to run.

That said, props for doing the 600-mile valve adjustment yourself! I've done a shim-under-bucket adjustment, but not something I'm keen to do often again. Do you have to pull the cams on the CBR?

I always like to buy bikes in the winter, because if it won't start, you know the exhaust valves are tight and whoever is selling didn't do the initial adjustment. Good way to knock a few hundos off any bike price!

AngryScientist
11-19-2013, 02:04 PM
That said, props for doing the 600-mile valve adjustment yourself!

i waited until 1000 miles and checked the clearances, and they were dead-nutz on, so i didnt need to actually shim anything, yet. checking the clearances in itself was a chore though, not for the amatuer mechanic.

christian
11-19-2013, 02:07 PM
That's good. My Ninja valves were very tight when I bought it at 1600 miles - had clearly never been adjusted. I screwed them out to the loose end of spec.

norcalbiker
11-19-2013, 04:15 PM
98 mile commute?! Almost 2 hours a day commuting? That sucks and is on more of the extreme side. I wouldn't last a week doing that. What kind of bike/tires are you getting 20k out of tires with? I mean as far as cost per mile you can still pretty much beat any bike (non scooter) with a cheap older hybrid or something if you really wanted to. Take an older insight for example but yes if you're comparing the right motorcycle to the right car you can possibly end up cheape.

I did have a 10 mile commute I used to do on my motorcycle that was way faster on a bike (20 min or so) but if I had to do it now I'd just ride my bicycle. Still for an 8 mile commute, you won't save anything getting a moto guzzi vs almost any car.

I buy touring tires and if you max their psi 36F and 42R, it will last a long time and rack a lot of mileage.

Btw, forgot to factor in parking
Car: $15/day (cheapest in downtown/financial district area)
MC: $0.40/hr. Most of the time it's free but I can't tell you how.

champ
11-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Suzuki V-Strom 650

norcalbiker
11-19-2013, 05:16 PM
Suzuki V-Strom 650

There you go!

Ken Robb
11-19-2013, 07:41 PM
I buy touring tires and if you max their psi 36F and 42R, it will last a long time and rack a lot of mileage.

Btw, forgot to factor in parking
Car: $15/day (cheapest in downtown/financial district area)
MC: $0.40/hr. Most of the time it's free but I can't tell you how.
I would worry that tires inflated beyond what is recommended for a given bike and load would reduce traction and possibly wear the tires faster than if they were at the correct pressure. Higher pressures might push out the center of the tread reducing rubber on the road and concentrating wear on the narrowed center portion of the tread. It's good that you're happy with your tire situation but maximum allowed pressure isn't often the best pressure on motorcycles any more than it is on bicycles.

aramis
11-19-2013, 07:56 PM
i waited until 1000 miles and checked the clearances, and they were dead-nutz on, so i didnt need to actually shim anything, yet. checking the clearances in itself was a chore though, not for the amatuer mechanic.

Way easier than pulling and adjusting them though. Shim under bucket is a pain in the ass. I'd prefer screw adjuster ones that you have to do every 6k to shims every 15k, but that's just me.

Ken Robb
11-19-2013, 08:47 PM
Way easier than pulling and adjusting them though. Shim under bucket is a pain in the ass. I'd prefer screw adjuster ones that you have to do every 6k to shims every 15k, but that's just me.
My 1995 BMW R1100R "Oilhead" was supposed to be adjusted every 6,000 miles and that's what I did but I never found it to be out of spec at those intervals. Since it was so easy to adjust with screw/locknut system I made sure they were all exactly in the middle of the acceptable range. Some other owners complained that similar bikes suffered from surging under light throttle. I cured that on a couple of friends' bikes and never had the problem on mine. It seemed that having all intake valves exactly alike and all exhaust valves exactly alike was the solution. When I put my vacuum gauge on my pal's surging R1100GS I couldn't get equal draw on both throttle bodies at part throttle even though I could balance them perfectly at idle. Since he had just paid the dealer for a tune-up we expected the valves to be perfect. Well, they were all in spec but not perfectly matched. I did my "perfect valve adjust" then set the throttle body idle screws and cable slack and the surging was gone. If the clearances aren't perfectly matched the cam timing will be off from one cylinder to another just enough to cause surging. My buddy said the dealer told him "they all do that". I guess they do if "close enough is good enough."

norcalbiker
11-19-2013, 10:14 PM
I would worry that tires inflated beyond what is recommended for a given bike and load would reduce traction and possibly wear the tires faster than if they were at the correct pressure. Higher pressures might push out the center of the tread reducing rubber on the road and concentrating wear on the narrowed center portion of the tread. It's good that you're happy with your tire situation but maximum allowed pressure isn't often the best pressure on motorcycles any more than it is on bicycles.

It's been working for me for over 500k miles. Yes over half a millions miles in almost 30 years. So i have no idea what you're talking about. These miles are only commute miles.

Ken Robb
11-19-2013, 11:13 PM
It's been working for me for over 500k miles. Yes over half a millions miles in almost 30 years. So i have no idea what you're talking about. These miles are only commute miles.

I think tire and bike makers try to recommend pressures that will give the best performance and mileage. I often run a bit more than recommended pressures because I weigh 200 lbs. nekkid so dressed to ride I am over the average 160 pound rider weight for sure. When I was drag racing bikes max pressure equaled little traction and I have no reason to think that isn't also the case for commuting. If you have been running max pressure for 500,000 miles with no problems that's great but if you haven't tried pressures close to those recommended you don't know what you might be missing. Heck, maybe rock hard tires do last longer and if you don't care about cornering and ride because all your riding is in a straightish line and you look so far ahead that you never need maximum braking traction good for you.You have covered a lot of miles safely.

quickfeet
11-19-2013, 11:13 PM
It's funny this thread popped up, I have been wanting to toy around with motorcycles for ages. I just bought a 1980 cb650 today. It seems to be a total POS currently, but that is what attracted me to it. That and it was super cheap. $175 and it came with a repair manual!! I have a similar attraction to the flat trackers, cafe racers, etc do this will be headed in that direction this winter. Maybe I will make an OT thread so I can post some progress if anyone shows interest...

Here is a photo of my new headache.

Louis
11-20-2013, 12:48 AM
Here is a photo of my new headache.

At that price I don't think you can complain. Does it run?

aramis
11-20-2013, 02:19 AM
At that price I don't think you can complain. Does it run?

The most expensive vehicles I ever bought were under $500. :p

I recommend removing anything worth selling and pushing it into the street, but that's just experience talking.

Dave B
11-20-2013, 06:20 AM
Ughh....man. Let me rephrase.

I've always wanted to own, and ride a motorcylce. It will be primarily used for commuting, which, is only 8 or 9 miles. I will get better parking at work, better gas mileage, and above all- I will be able to give my car to my soon to be wife and we'll be able to dump her current car. Both parties happy!! Yay.

I'm looking for something that is not too powerful, not too sporty, but something that will get me back n forth to work, maybe ad some saddle bags or comparents on the side to run quick errands and that's about it.

I prefer the styling of a moto-guzzi, BMW or other old skool bike but reliability is important.

I want to stress that your biggest statement is the first one. I was you, I always wanted to do it, parent said no, first wife said no, second wife forced me to try. I love it! I mean LOOOOOOVE it!

Now, I will simply say that riding a MC is a different thing for everyone, but if you get hooked, commuting is going to be the secondary reason for having the bike. Seriously, I bought one for the exact same reason. I was riding to school (teacher) in 19degree weather if the roads were dry. My fellow staff and kids thought I was nuts, but I loved being on the bike.

I truly understand about power and Christian advocates lower power and he knows his stuff. Me, well I am built like a linebacker and wanted more giddy up. I think you can do with lower pawer bikes, but there is somethign to be said for higher numbers.

Currently I have a 99 HD Sportster 883. It is slow...sloooooow! But I have screwed around with it, got a few more hp's and torques and it works a bit better. I live 5 miles from my job. Often times it takes me 25 miles to get home...on a nice day.

I don't care what anyone says, MC riding is unique in every way. It changes you, even if it is just a little bit.

Take the safety course, it is so worth it.

Best of luck!

Marz
11-22-2013, 09:11 PM
Honda CBR900RR, Fireblade, any model, but original 893cc and third 929cc version are recommended by the British bike mag 'BIKE'.

Cheap, plentiful, bulletproof, awesome, as fast as any expensive supercar. Check for crash damage and buy an unmolested example.

Was hoping to relive my youth with a Kawasaki GPz900R, but good ones are rare and expensive. The Honda is a better bike and ubiquitous.

Fun too. Currently researching this as I'm contemplating buying one. (That or the unloved Ducati 999).

Ken Robb
11-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Honda CBR900RR, Fireblade, any model, but original 893cc and third 929cc version are recommended by the British bike mag 'BIKE'.

Cheap, plentiful, bulletproof, awesome, as fast as any expensive supercar. Check for crash damage and buy an unmolested example.

Was hoping to relive my youth with a Kawasaki GPz900R, but good ones are rare and expensive. The Honda is a better bike and ubiquitous.

Fun too. Currently researching this as I'm contemplating buying one. (That or the unloved Ducati 999).

A lot of power for a rookie. Cramped ergos for 6'2. Lots of fun for little $$ maybe.

christian
11-22-2013, 09:46 PM
Christian advocates lower powerto be clear, this is my perfect ideal of a motorcycle. Just maybe not a first motorcycle...

(Ok I'd use an E45 top case...)

http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/attachments/trips-touring/271052d1383588305-gen2-givi-v35-bags-shad-sh45-topcase-dsc_0018.jpg

Fixed
11-23-2013, 12:41 AM
OP

STOP!!!!!!!

First, before you do anything, take a weekend and sign up for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) intro course. You'll get a lot of hands on learning and be able to get your moto endorsement as well.

Read through good moto magazines and go to motorcycle forums for real advice instead of listening to a bunch of douchy no-nothing bicyclists. :D

Buy the best gear you can afford. It'll probably run you about $1,000 for a good helmet, jacket, gloves etc. Always wear it (when you're on a motorcycle).

For a first bike, get a beater 'cause you're gonna drop it. I've been through a bunch of bikes and I agree with the advice on getting some reliable suzikawiyamahonda. I'm partial to Ducatis myself but the cans on a Ducati can cost more that you should spend on your first bike.

I've been riding for over 40 years and still have my first bike. A '72 Honda CB350 - bought it used when I was in High School and I'd still ride it anywhere.

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k445/majmontana/HPIM0656_1_zpseedc3d97.jpg

I had the same bike in high school a cb 350 in purple ,
It was a cool bike I often dream I still have it and the Audi super 90 I had at the same time . I felt so hip in high school
Cheers