PDA

View Full Version : OT Biting the dust

JohnS
01-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Another American icon is biting the dust. Winchester Firearms is shutting their plant as of March 31. Anyone who ever wanted a lever action cowboy rifle as a kid better get it now. :(

William
01-18-2006, 09:07 AM
Another American icon is biting the dust. Winchester Firearms is shutting their plant as of March 31. Anyone who ever wanted a lever action cowboy rifle as a kid better get it now. :(

Another American West icon that will soon only be available from China. :crap:

William

Bud
01-18-2006, 09:41 AM
I did not know that. Guess the value of my model 94 just went up (and I was thinking about selling it too)!

inGobwetrust
01-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Glad I've already got my 3, 30-30 Trapper, 44 mag with large loop, and .307 Win with the fancy stock and AE finish.

Bill Bove
01-18-2006, 03:54 PM
An icon of the American West, what a shame.

dave thompson
01-18-2006, 04:29 PM
Winchester (U.S. Repeating Arms) is part of a conglomerate that also owns Browning Firearms.

JohnS
01-18-2006, 09:45 PM
Winchester (U.S. Repeating Arms) is part of a conglomerate that also owns Browning Firearms.
FNH is shutting Winchester to focus on the more profitable Browning side. The Browning A-Bolt is more modern and cheaper to produce. it is also more popular. The old M94 has been outdistanced by the Marlin 336.

Saxon
01-18-2006, 10:22 PM
I've got my '21 SRC model 94 and my 1898 model 92 octagon barrel to remember them by.
The Marlin 336 is a great gun ( I gave my dad one for Christmas about 10 years ago), but the Winchester's will be missed.

ada@prorider.or
01-18-2006, 11:54 PM

strange to buy a packet of malboro its behind bars in the usa but guns and bullets everywhere in the supermaket on the shelve's

it again and again amaze me

gdw
01-19-2006, 12:09 AM
You're not very well informed about the sale of firearms and ammunition in our country ADA. Our supermarkets don't have racks and racks of deadly weapons for sale although some people might consider the rows of junk food lethal in the long run.

inGobwetrust
01-19-2006, 12:32 AM
strange to buy a packet of malboro its behind bars in the usa but guns and bullets everywhere in the supermaket on the shelve's

it again and again amaze me

ada,

You know not of which you speak. To buy a firearm you are subject to an FBI background check on the NCICS system. Tell you what, when you come to Boston to visit The Jerk I'll take you both shooting at my range. Deal?

Saxon
01-19-2006, 12:57 AM
Our supermarkets don't have racks and racks of deadly weapons for sale
To be fair gdw, ada may be referring to Nevada, where they keep all the handguns in the supermarket frozen foods section and the rifles in the "Gourmet foods of the world" row next to the imported salsa. Cheap reloads can be bought at the front of the store in vending machines. After shopping, you can go next door and have a happy ending before the drive home.
Damn, I love America... :banana:

William
01-19-2006, 06:04 AM
When I was a kid you could go into Ernst Hardware and see all the hand guns and rifles behind the counter. I don't have a problem with that as long as you have good background checks and firearm saftey courses.

Criminals are criminals though, they will get a hold of firearms whether they are illegal or not.

Chuck Connors is rolling right now. :crap:

William ;)

slowgoing
01-19-2006, 08:31 AM
The only thing holding me back from having a stash of firearms is a child in the house. My one and only gun, for the time being, is in a locker at the local firing range. Just a few more years....

JohnS
01-19-2006, 08:56 AM
The only thing holding me back from having a stash of firearms is a child in the house. My one and only gun, for the time being, is in a locker at the local firing range. Just a few more years....
You can get a strongbox with tumbler keys for about $90 that'll hold 6-8 guns.

Birddog
01-19-2006, 09:21 AM
ADA is probably referring to WalMart where guns are rather prominently displayed. The cigs are under lock and key ( not really, but fairly secured) mostly because they need to deter theft. As a foreigner, you have to love WalMart, where else can you go to get diapers and ammunition in one stop?

Birddog

jonesy
01-19-2006, 03:14 PM
This post has blown me away (if you'll pardon the expression)
over here in Britain it's frowned upon having a good old air rifle
due to bad behaviour by idiots and you guys are entitled to buy
whatever you like shooting ironwise.Unreal.

ClutchCargo
01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
This post has blown me away (if you'll pardon the expression)
over here in Britain it's frowned upon having a good old air rifle
due to bad behaviour by idiots and you guys are entitled to buy
whatever you like shooting ironwise.Unreal.

jes call 'em what they are, tenderfoot: "shootin' arns" !

Ozz
01-19-2006, 04:22 PM
When I was a kid you could go into Ernst Hardware and see all the hand guns and rifles behind the counter. I don't have a problem with that as long as you have good background checks and firearm saftey courses. ...William ;)
Exactly the same thought, down to store (Ernst, R.I.P.) that was going thru my head. I still remember running over to the gun counter with with gun safety certification and picking up .22 ammo while my Dad shopped for geraniums.

Heck, Eddie Bauer used to sell very nice guns!

dave thompson
01-19-2006, 04:31 PM
Heck, Eddie Bauer used to sell very nice guns!
Hell, I used to sell guns!

inGobwetrust
01-19-2006, 06:42 PM
Me too!

Saxon
01-19-2006, 06:49 PM
Me three!

JohnS
01-19-2006, 07:08 PM
I do right now, at Gander Mountain.

ada@prorider.or
01-19-2006, 07:25 PM
ADA is probably referring to WalMart where guns are rather prominently displayed. The cigs are under lock and key ( not really, but fairly secured) mostly because they need to deter theft. As a foreigner, you have to love WalMart, where else can you go to get diapers and ammunition in one stop?

Birddog

yes in walmarkt but also other shops
even in beverly hills hollywood sandiego santa barbara and o on
well makes you think if you say that if they are more concerned that cig get stolen then a then the bullets and guns

question of attiude

we where in a wisconsion
my son 26 want to buy cigarrette's they would not give it to him
he had to show his id that he was over 18
then i came to the person i said i buy a pack of cigarette's
no sir you might give it to your son
he would not sell it to me
when i the started a argument well call the police i really want to see this that you refuse me to sell a packet of cigarettes he would sel it to me after at least
10 people where watching the scene

in the same super market i ask or i as foreigner could buy a gun
no problem sir if you stay here for at least 90 days
and you have a adres no problem at all

thats what i mean!!!!

well we visit 27 states mostly also walmarkt visit
not one would not selll me a gun!!!!!!!!
several would not sell any cigarette's to my son

divve
01-19-2006, 08:28 PM
...there's no right or easy answer to your commentary...for instance try explaining Zwarte Piet to an American....most will go *** are you kidding me???

http://www.awfulgood.com/doa-archives/000212.php

Lost Weekend
01-19-2006, 08:36 PM
ciggarettes probably kill more people then guns. More innocent people also with second hand smoke.

slowgoing
01-19-2006, 11:17 PM
You can get a strongbox with tumbler keys for about $90 that'll hold 6-8 guns.

For me, it's not worth the risk. I can wait a few more years till my son's old enough to shoot before I tempt him with a stash of guns in the house.

We have a group from work that goes shooting a few times a month so I still get my fill. We formed an email group called "the firing committee" before admin made us change it.

Ken Robb
01-19-2006, 11:50 PM
To ADA: The people in the store may have SAID "no problem" when you asked about buying a gun but you would have to prove that you are a resident of the state where you are buying the gun. Then most states require the store to run a background check on you before they can sell you a gun.

I saw plenty of guns for sale in shops in Germany but I didn't ask what I would have to do to buy one.

I don't know anyone still living who is dumb enough to smoke. :p

ada@prorider.or
01-20-2006, 12:40 AM
To ADA: The people in the store may have SAID "no problem" when you asked about buying a gun but you would have to prove that you are a resident of the state where you are buying the gun. Then most states require the store to run a background check on you before they can sell you a gun.

I saw plenty of guns for sale in shops in Germany but I didn't ask what I would have to do to buy one.

I don't know anyone still living who is dumb enough to smoke. :p

we did that test
and passed it with out any problem
becuase my son really wanted to know or he could get one
so yes it was very simple

ada@prorider.or
01-20-2006, 12:44 AM
...there's no right or easy answer to your commentary...for instance try explaining Zwarte Piet to an American....most will go *** are you kidding me???

http://www.awfulgood.com/doa-archives/000212.php

thats easy
its the man who helps sinterklaas (sinterklaas is the man who give gifts to childeren for free)
and zwarte piet become's black because he comes down in the house through a chimnee at night
and place's the gifts next to the chimnee
got it

easy pieacy

Ken Robb
01-20-2006, 12:48 AM
pardon me for being slow to catch on here but what documents did you use to prove you were residents of one of the United States?

gdw
01-20-2006, 01:30 AM
Ada,
Our gun laws and the character of Zwarte Piet are more complex than you make them out to be. We don't sell firearms to any twit who wants one and old Zwarte Piet has an interesting history which some consider offensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet

Back to the original subject. It's sad to see Winchester closing their doors. I used to shoot competitively and was a big fan of their Model 52 target rifle.

ada@prorider.or
01-20-2006, 03:26 AM
pardon me for being slow to catch on here but what documents did you use to prove you were residents of one of the United States?

did not need to show this
only that i was there for 90 days
my visum was enough

JohnS
01-20-2006, 08:13 AM
did not need to show this
only that i was there for 90 days
my visum was enough
BULL*****!!
You have to be a resident alien and have utility bills, etc, showing that you have resided at a current address for at least 90 days. That's not the same thing as "being here" for 3 months.
Then, all states (cuz it's a federal law), require a NCICS (FBI) background check. Some retailers, Gander Mountain (the largest) amongst them, will not even sell to NON-CITIZENS. I'm sure you may have talked to a salesman and he gave you the abbreviated version on what you needed just cuz he knew you weren't serious and he'd never actually have to deal with you.

ada@prorider.or
01-20-2006, 08:46 AM
BULL*****!!
You have to be a resident alien and have utility bills, etc, showing that you have resided at a current address for at least 90 days. That's not the same thing as "being here" for 3 months.
Then, all states (cuz it's a federal law), require a NCICS (FBI) background check. Some retailers, Gander Mountain (the largest) amongst them, will not even sell to NON-CITIZENS. I'm sure you may have talked to a salesman and he gave you the abbreviated version on what you needed just cuz he knew you weren't serious and he'd never actually have to deal with you.

ok i do not agrue
i just say what happens nothing more or less

gdw
01-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Thanks John. I think ada's been watching too many Micheal Moore movies.

ada@prorider.or
01-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Thanks John. I think ada's been watching too many Micheal Moore movies.
well i almost gone say
if i come next time to usa'

if i come bring you a gun bought in the usa
what do you give?

10.000$
:banana:

JohnS
01-20-2006, 11:53 AM
well i almost gone say

what do you give?

10.000$
Yeah, heroin is illegal too, but I bet that if I came over to Belgium, I could score some. If you know the right people, have enough money, and spend enough time, you can get anything anywhere, SO WHAT!

gdw
01-20-2006, 11:53 AM
If you show up here with a firearm my very liberal neighbors would panic and call the local police: You'll need $10.000 for bail and a good lawyer. banana:

ada@prorider.or
01-20-2006, 12:44 PM
Yeah, heroin is illegal too, but I bet that if I came over to Belgium, I could score some. If you know the right people, have enough money, and spend enough time, you can get anything anywhere, SO WHAT!

this is a endless discussion
you want to be right
ok you right i see it wrong

there is also something like honest people

sorry

inGobwetrust
01-20-2006, 01:01 PM
I'll give you $1000 if you buy it LEGALLY! The offer to take you shooting still stands.

well i almost gone say

what do you give?

10.000$

dave thompson
01-20-2006, 02:42 PM
I'll give you $1000 if you buy it LEGALLY! The offer to take you shooting still stands.
Exactly! 'Legally' is the key word. A foreign national may not buy a gun unless he is a legal resident of the United States and possesses a Green Card. Federal law is quite specific. There might be additional state laws that could also come into play.

The fact that someone was told he could buy a firearm is meaningless, until the necessary Federal paperwork is filled out. If that person lies in his responses to the questions on the paperwork and/or has forged, illegal or counterfeit documents establishing his bona fides regarding his residency, he might be able to purchase the firearm. However the Federal background check would most likely catch the discrepancies.

JohnS
01-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Even applying to buy a gun, when you know you can't, is breaking the law. The FBI and ATF jump on those cases right away.

JohnS
01-20-2006, 03:37 PM
this is a endless discussion
you want to be right
ok you right i see it wrong

there is also something like honest people

sorry
I don't jump into your threads explaining wheels or others on this board talking about tube angles and steel properties, because I know nothing about them. You should show the same consideration discussing US gun laws.

H.Frank Beshear
01-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Back to the original topic it's a D**mn shame. My first rifle was a 67 single shot 22. My fathers model 50 has the bluing worn on the left side where it rested against his jeans and the grip is worn almost smooth from his hands. He says it'll be mine someday I hope he keeps it a very long time. I have a friend who shoots 52's still. I don't want that old man shooting at me I don't care that it's 200 yards away. I've seen his targets. I still want a pre64 m-70 in 257 Roberts, guess I'd better start looking cause the price is going up. Frank

OldDog
01-20-2006, 05:59 PM
This is sad, another American manufacturing icon gone. The world's a changing mighty fast.