PDA

View Full Version : Things that make you go hmmmm, #2: Skewers

wasfast
11-16-2013, 06:28 AM
It's puzzling to me where all the skewers go. Manufacturers almost always include skewers with new wheels. Sorta important if you want to attach your wheels on the bike.

I'm yet to buy a set of used wheels that include the skewers. What do folks do with all the extra skewers? You'd think there'd be a glut of skewers for sale after someone sells multiple wheels.

Even more, there are lots of aftermarket options for skewers. That would lead to having multiple sets for a single set of wheels.

Perhaps they go to the same place that the missing sock from the dryer does.....ok, put up your hand if you have all the skewers.

spdcyclist
11-16-2013, 07:07 AM
They go here...

PoppaWheelie
11-16-2013, 08:01 AM
And yet I'm always n-1. Kinda like socks and the dryer.

ultraman6970
11-16-2013, 08:09 AM
Was wondering the same thing many years ago, same thing with the disappearing underwear and socks, the good news is that everyone that the underwear and socks gnomes takes them, wonder if gnomes takes quick releases too :D

It's puzzling to me where all the skewers go. Manufacturers almost always include skewers with new wheels. Sorta important if you want to attach your wheels on the bike.

I'm yet to buy a set of used wheels that include the skewers. What do folks do with all the extra skewers? You'd think there'd be a glut of skewers for sale after someone sells multiple wheels.

Even more, there are lots of aftermarket options for skewers. That would lead to having multiple sets for a single set of wheels.

Perhaps they go to the same place that the missing sock from the dryer does.....ok, put up your hand if you have all the skewers.

bikinchris
11-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Gallagher said that Paper clips were the embryonic form of clothes hangers, that's why he could never find paper clips and his closet was full of clothes hangers.
Maybe skewers are the embryonic form of something else?

carlineng
11-16-2013, 04:19 PM
I've never bought non-Shimano hubs (which all come with skewers), but I'm under the impression that the more boutique brands don't include skewers. Chris King, White Industries, Alchemy, etc.

FlashUNC
11-16-2013, 04:24 PM
King and WI do not.

Shimano and Campy do.

MerckxMad
11-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Stop the madness. People, when you sell a set of wheels, include the freaking skewers.