PDA

View Full Version : Fizik Aliante Saddle - Ti or Carbon?

jckid
01-17-2006, 05:53 PM
So I'm thinking of getting a Fizik Aliante saddle. I'm debating between the Ti and Carbon rails. I'm light, so weight isn't an issue, but I'm still wondering which one I should go with. Just how strong are the carbon rails? I'd like to save a few grams, but not if I have to worry about breaking a rail. Anybody have experience with this particular saddle?

Bill Bove
01-17-2006, 06:00 PM
I have the carbon rails on my two primary bikes, never a problem in three years and I go between 175 and 160 depending on the time of year.

sellsworth
01-17-2006, 06:02 PM
I love Fizik! I use both the Aliante and the Arione and each is a terrific saddle.

My vote is to go with the titanium rails. Save a little money and have some peace of mind.

mikemets
01-17-2006, 06:21 PM
I have over 10,000 miles on my carbon railed Aliante, and weigh between 175 and 185. I have since read that they recommend a weight limit of 180, but I didn't know that, and my LBS didn't tell me, but I've had no problems.

Ray
01-17-2006, 06:31 PM
I've had no problems with my carbon railed model after a couple of years of hard riding. Probably 10,000 miles on that one saddle easily. BUT.... I've seen a couple of carbon models with rails that were badly and catastrophically busted in a shop, so there's anecdotes for whatever position you like. Given the stratospheric prices these saddle get these days (not that they were cheap when they first came out and I bought mine), I'd save a few bucks and go with ti. I have a ti model also and I can't feel any difference between the two, either in terms of weight or vibration damping.

Great saddles either way you go though.

-Ray

Steve Hampsten
01-17-2006, 06:36 PM
I ride both and the carbon feels a tad cushier to my sensitive bum. I've seen one Aliante with cracked rails and Suzette - our lovely Fizik marketing director - was great about replacing it.

No wrong answer - they're both fantastic.

coylifut
01-17-2006, 06:50 PM
I have both and I can't tell the difference. buy what's on sale.

chrisroph
01-17-2006, 07:10 PM
I've got several very lightly used like new carbon railed ice blue colored ones I'll sell for a good deal. They are collecting dust in my garage at the moment. Let me know if anyone is interested.

slowgoing
01-17-2006, 08:27 PM
The price of the Aliante seems to have gone up faster than any other bike part. I remember buying a carbon railed one for $145 about two or three years ago. Then the titanium came out and the carbon went up to $175. What are the carbon ones going for now? $229 on Excel. 58% increase in three years.

Kevin
01-17-2006, 08:28 PM
I have the Alliante Carbon on three bikes and have never had a problem.

Kevin

pdxmech13
01-17-2006, 09:27 PM
why is the carbon one so much more than a ti.
and is there REALLY a perfomance difference ?
think about it. sure your wallet will.

Grant McLean
01-17-2006, 10:08 PM
I've seen tons of broken Ti rail saddles in the shop where I work.
Selle Italia, San Marco, Fizik, seem 'em all broken, so i'm not sure
what the "peace of mind" that Ti has. As for the price difference,
I didn't check everywhere, but it looks like maybe $30 difference
between carbon and ti.

-g

Serpico
01-17-2006, 10:13 PM
Hey, slightly OT--I have a Brooks B17 and I'm looking at getting an Aliante.

How wide are they? I think the B17 is like 172mm?

The guy at the lbs measured it and the Aliante is less than 150mm :confused: is this right?

Also, others have mentioned this saddle having a "hammock" like the B17--but the Aliante felt a bit squishy to me (I didn't sit on it, the fit dude wasn't there, so maybe he has a used one I can check).

Any comments appreciated. :)

Ray
01-18-2006, 06:47 AM

The guy at the lbs measured it and the Aliante is less than 150mm :confused: is this right?

Also, others have mentioned this saddle having a "hammock" like the B17--but the Aliante felt a bit squishy to me (I didn't sit on it, the fit dude wasn't there, so maybe he has a used one I can check).

The Aliante is waaaaay narrower than a B-17 (I think its actually about 140mm, or even a little less), but give it a try anyway. I was a died in the wool (dyed?) B-17 guy and had tried a number of skinnier saddles and generally didn't love them for anything longer than about 40-50 miles. The aliante quickly took over as my favorite long distance saddle. It's skinny, but there's something about the shape and consistency that seems to work for ALMOST everyone who tries them. The carbon weave, or whatever they call the underside of the saddle, similates the suspended effect of a good leather saddle remarkably well and in a shape that a leather saddle can't quite get to. I still have B-17s on a couple of bikes that I ride in street clothes and/or with saddlebags (requiring the Brooks saddlebag loops), but have Aliantes on my serious mileage bikes.

As much as a personal preference item as saddles are, I've seen almost universally positive reviews of the aliante. There just don't seem to be many people at all who try them an don't like them. So, no guarantees, but I'd say it's worth a try, at least.

-Ray

Bradford
01-18-2006, 07:00 AM
I also made the switch from Brooks to Aliantes. They are great saddles and are, by far, the most comfortable I've ever had on a bike. They don't feel all that much different to me on short rides, but on long rides they really shine. I had been riding Brooks for 9 years on two bikes, logging plenty of miles loaded touring, unloaded rides, centuries, and on the tandem.

I certainly understand the romantic attachment people have to thier Brooks, but I won't be going back.

And as for the original question, since I'm over 200 lbs, I never considered the carbon, so can't help you there.

PeterW
01-18-2006, 08:13 AM
I certainly understand the romantic attachment people have to thier Brooks, but I won't be going back..

Me either, I think. I rode Team Pros for a number of years exclusively, and I way prefer the Aliante, especially in hot humid weather. And as I mentioned in a thread last week, the new Brooks can be too soft, IMHO. The Aliante plain works.

dauwhe
01-18-2006, 09:49 AM
Has anyone tried the Aliante Gamma? I'm not sure what the difference is, but it's only $135 or something.

I like the Aliante Titanium; the other saddle I ride is the B17. Not sure which I'll use for the upcoming brevet season.

Dave Cramer
Brattleboro, Vermont

LegendRider
01-18-2006, 10:53 AM
I have a Gamma on my rain bike and carbon-railed version on my Parlee. The Gamma seems a touch softer, but the shape is the same. Either one is acceptable and both are the best saddles I've ever used.

Ray
01-18-2006, 11:00 AM
I have a Gamma on my rain bike and carbon-railed version on my Parlee. The Gamma seems a touch softer, but the shape is the same. Either one is acceptable and both are the best saddles I've ever used.
Does the gamma still have the carbon support structure or is it a plastic shell? I've been assuming that the Aliante was so comfortable more for the give in the carbon fibre shell than anything else, but if the gamma is similarly comfortable with a regular plastic shell, maybe its primarily the shape?

-Ray

LegendRider
01-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Does the gamma still have the carbon support structure or is it a plastic shell? I've been assuming that the Aliante was so comfortable more for the give in the carbon fibre shell than anything else, but if the gamma is similarly comfortable with a regular plastic shell, maybe its primarily the shape?

-Ray

I'm not sure, but I'll take a look tonight. Since the Gamma has ti rails and is less expensive than the ti-railed Aliante, it follows something else is different.

MartyE
01-18-2006, 11:15 AM

The B17 is 170 x 280
Team Pro is 160 x 280
the aliante is 142 x 265

I have an Aliante on my de Reus, a team pro on my Serotta and I am
very impressed by the Aliante, its one of the few "plastic" saddles I can
ride comfortably.
From what I understand the Aliante Sport is a full plastic shell, the Gamma
uses a Carbon shell and twin Flex both use the woven Kevlar shell.
The Twin flex also has 5mm more usable rail than the Gamma.
The Sport is seen as OEM on alot of bikes, same shape but different saddle
IMHO.

Marty

LegendRider
01-18-2006, 11:21 AM
From CompetitiveCyclist.com

The Fizik Aliante Gamma has all of the comfort of the pricier Aliante saddles, but at a new low price. How is it different from its higher-dollar brethren? It's the use of a Nylon inner shell instead of the bi-directional carbon fiber used on the Aliante Ti and the Aliante Carbon, plus a bit less Kevlar to the inner shell. Nevertheless, it still uses Ti rails to keep the overall weight low and to give it a nice bit of spring to absorb road shock. 270g.

Our best selling indulgence of 2005. The Aliante has the perfect combination of lightness and comfort. It uses Fizik's patented Twin Flex shell. The exterior shell is a 35g multidirectional carbon fiber shell that surrounds a 15g bi-directional carbon and Kevlar weave interior "hammock" that simultaneously provides comfort and support. Must be ridden to be believed. Something this light shouldn't feel this good. Full Ti rails. Available in a wide variety of color options. 235g.