PDA

View Full Version : Van Dessel: Gin & Trombones

Erik_A
11-14-2013, 09:12 AM
I am looking for a 2nd CX (pit) bike. I love my Cannondale: CAAD9 CX, but am temped to try the Van Dessel: Gin & Trombones as a frame/fork only build. The geometry is very similar with a 59.5 vs 60cm top tube and a 200mm head tube on both. I am tall 6'-4". Any tall riders with a Gin & Trombones review?

christian
11-14-2013, 09:14 AM
There are a lot of them in the NJ CX series. Might be worth a post on mtbnj to ask.

Gummee
11-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Buddy of mine has one. Likes it. Its either disc OR canti so you can pick/choose. Buddy got both forks 'just in case.'

Saw an Aloominator last nite. Nice looking but the finish? Feels like a BBQ grill. Ugh

M

Idris Icabod
11-14-2013, 09:37 AM
No info about the cross bike but regarding Van Dessel's support, a friend has a Rivet road bike and broke the derailleur hanger. Took months to get a new one from Van Dessel. They claimed to have shipped 2 that never arrived and then stopped returning e-mails or responding to phone messages. He machined one himself eventually because Wheels manufacturing didn't make the correct one (but they were really helpful). He did eventually get one from Van Dessel after spamming their facebook page and humiliating them in to sending one.

Erik_A
11-14-2013, 12:21 PM
thanks!

2StrokeRacer
11-14-2013, 08:08 PM
I too have a Rivit and needed a rear hanger. Called VD and two days later I had it in my hands, wasn't even charged for it.

RacerJRP
11-14-2013, 08:58 PM
As a former NJ resident, I have spent a fair bit of time with the Van Dessel crew. They are good people and their bikes are sweet.

Erik_A
11-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the vote of confidence from a fellow tall-dude! I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the G&T as a frame/ fork only (canti brake option for the fork). I will work on building it up for next season. Yea, you are probably right - the C'dale will go to pit duty.

I'm about 6'3 riding a 60cm. Best handling bike around. I'm not sure about their other bikes, but Edwin seems to have the cross geo dialed. Even tooling around town I feel like I'm in Subaru WRX rally car. So only get it if you want to delegate the c-dale to the pit bike. Just kidding, but seriously, that would be one awesome bit bike.