PDA

View Full Version : I just purchased my first Rapha items...

#campyuserftw
11-13-2013, 08:45 PM
And I need to admit it. I have profoundly bashed them in the past. I went to the Dark Side. So I only purchased these two caps, but I will look forward to using them next spring...lightweight cap in blue...and

http://www.rapha.cc/lightweight-cap-1-2

http://www.rapha.cc/raphafocus-cap

I am considering the Classic Jersey and/or the Club Jersey for next spring. At 6' and 185 lbs, am I medium or large?

me = :rolleyes:

Louis
11-13-2013, 08:48 PM
Feeling epic yet?

#campyuserftw
11-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Feeling epic yet?

I feel dirty. :confused:

Louis
11-13-2013, 08:51 PM
I feel dirty. :confused:

You ought to be:

http://www.selectism.com/files/2012/09/rapha-cycling-fw2013-21.jpg

christian
11-13-2013, 08:54 PM
You are a large. I like the tights, but I find the jerseys hopeless.

christian
11-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Btw, no idea what size you are in the club jersey. You have to be shaped like Mr. potato head for that one to fit.

pbarry
11-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Sorry... :eek:

BumbleBeeDave
11-13-2013, 09:07 PM
btw, no idea what size you are in the club jersey. You have to be shaped like mr. Potato head for that one to fit.

. . . Ok.

Bbd

AngryScientist
11-13-2013, 09:16 PM
me = :rolleyes:

just for the record, you WERE cool until you started a thread about it.

:banana:

Anarchist
11-13-2013, 09:29 PM
At least it wasn't Assos.

MattTuck
11-13-2013, 09:32 PM
It's all fun and games until you buy some $80 tea cups that say Rapha and have an epic stripe on them. Then you have to go to a 12 step program.

rustychisel
11-13-2013, 09:41 PM
I have a friend who insists on wearing Rapha.

Should I

a) break off all contact and renounce our friendship?

b) hug him (in a meaningful manly way) and tell him it's okay and I understand?

or c) throw him under a bus?

FlashUNC
11-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Welcome friend.

Their size guides run pretty true on jerseys. So stick with those.

Fiertetimestwo
11-13-2013, 09:59 PM

Should I

I'll have you know that all of my Rapha jerseys were bought on sale, and the knicks were my last birthday present.

Please don't throw me under a bus.

yours,

Mr Potato Head.

rustychisel
11-13-2013, 10:40 PM
I too have a Rapha jersey. It was a birthday present. I wear it. I like it.

Yours,

Mr Pumpkin Head

alessandro
11-13-2013, 10:40 PM
From Red Kite Prayer's interbike pics... at the Surly booth:

http://redkiteprayer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/IMG_7368-588x391.jpg

They look like really nice, well-made jerseys.
Buy one already, and then you can feel epic and dirty at the same time. :banana:

pbarry
11-13-2013, 10:45 PM

Should I

d) Remember that this is a fatal flaw in judgement that cannot be mitigated, ever. Ride several bike lengths ahead of this friend, offer no roadside assistance when they flat, or fig bars when they bonk. The only hope for them is in the next life, when they may return as an ethnic food delivery person astride a Worksman bike, wearing polyester kitchen whites.

Fixed
11-13-2013, 11:16 PM
The same could be said of Ralph Lauren I would think , their prices are similar .
Cheers :)

#campyuserftw
11-13-2013, 11:17 PM
Buy one already, and then you can feel epic and dirty at the same time. :banana:

It is...too late for me. I---I gave my all. It took me with it. Run. Do not let Zod get the Codex. Remember me...as I once was:

ORDER SUMMARY
1 x Club Jersey, Fig, Large $110.00
1 x Trade Team Jersey, Light Blue, Large $130.00
FREE STANDARD DELIVERY$0.00

:D

christian
11-13-2013, 11:22 PM
If you are a large in trade team, you are probs between a medium and small in club...

pdmtong
11-13-2013, 11:29 PM
dont forget the oversocks you bought from me....hahahaha

tuscanyswe
11-14-2013, 02:47 AM
If you are a large in trade team, you are probs between a medium and small in club...

That much smaller?

What about the winter jersey, same as the rest of causal rapha line? Im a large but like you implied its better to be a little round for the jerseys, usually dont fill out the large ones yet they r borderline short in the arms and the front.

soulspinner
11-14-2013, 04:04 AM

The money saved can fund a Continental pro team.......

danielpack22@ma
11-14-2013, 05:42 AM
If you must throw me under the bus, could you please make it this one?

http://www.rapha.cc/content/uploads/hvanpic.jpg

Salsa_Lover
11-14-2013, 05:57 AM
a Rapha cotton Cap costs 30.- or 40.- a summer Jersey 130, winter jersey 260 ···

I usally pay the caps 10 for mine, 15 if its a one nicer or more difficult to find, summer jerseys cost me some 65, good winter ones maybe 80.

I'm not sure why you should pay twice or three times as much for your cycling clothing items.

probably marketing and image are worth for some the same or more as the actual thing :confused:

like for example Macs, exactly the same intel hardware and components as a HP PC but costs 2 or 3 times as much.

there is one born every minute...

fuzzalow
11-14-2013, 06:07 AM
Bullwinkle: Hey Rocky, watch me pull a Rapha outta my hat!

Rocky: Again?!

amg
11-14-2013, 06:57 AM
I dunno, I'm pretty objective when it comes to cycling gear - either it works as intended or it falls short of the mark. I bought a jersey first, it was ok. Then I bought a cotton cycling cap which I wear except on the hottest or coldest rides. Then I bought some Merino socks which have become the first ones I reach for. I followed this with classic bib tights which at full retail, were on par with other brands - best I've worn so far.

After more than 10 years, my Giordana winter booties called it quits, so I picked up some Rapha neoprene. A bit expensive, but my toes are toasty. Yeah, there image is a bit much sometimes, but I've been pleased with their products thus far and their end of seasons sale is a good time to shop.

Their Rapha club in NYC has been a nice, occasional lunch spot for me where I can have a decent sandwich and watch the Giro d' Lombardia. I dunno, I don't see what the fuss is all about

Antonio

christian
11-14-2013, 07:09 AM
That much smaller?

What about the winter jersey, same as the rest of causal rapha line? Im a large but like you implied its better to be a little round for the jerseys, usually dont fill out the large ones yet they r borderline short in the arms and the front.

Honestly, Björn, I don't know. I couldn't get the club fit to work for me at all. Lengthwise and in the shoulders, I guess I'm a large... but in the midsection, a medium seemed a bit big, and was too short. I gave up.

BTW, I am not a skinny cyclist - 5'11, 165 lbs or so. Plenty of fat in the midsection.

Anarchist
11-14-2013, 07:55 AM
Honestly, Björn, I don't know. I couldn't get the club fit to work for me at all. Lengthwise and in the shoulders, I guess I'm a large... but in the midsection, a medium seemed a bit big, and was too short. I gave up.

BTW, I am not a skinny cyclist - 5'11, 165 lbs or so. Plenty of fat in the midsection.

Sorry, that's skinny.

At the same height as you I am 30 pounds heavier and recently tested out at 13% BF so I'm not just carrying a bunch of extra flab.

crownjewelwl
11-14-2013, 08:05 AM
i'd say you're medium in the club jersey...which i happen to like

i wear a large and i am slightly bigger than you...and i could probably fit a medium

oldpotatoe
11-14-2013, 08:34 AM
. . . Ok.

Bbd

Hey, hey, easy there.......I like Rapha, their lifestyle type marketing,

For 'some', if you don't think it's 'worth it', I have an idea, don't buy the stuff. Same for Apple products, I'm sure they will survive without ya.

But ya pay for what ya get. Oh unwashed, unclean one.

christian
11-14-2013, 08:40 AM
At the same height as you I am 30 pounds heavier and recently tested out at 13% BF so I'm not just carrying a bunch of extra flab.Ok, I won't challenge you to a bench press contest. Or a sprint.

Birddog
11-14-2013, 08:54 AM
Rapha fine cotton caps are the best out there. I don't like the price but on sale they're reasonable. I wear a Lg in the club cut jerseys and I'm 5'9" 172 with 42" chest. The Md was way too tight across the chest.

tiretrax
11-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Say what you want about Rapha, but the stuff works and lasts a long time. Bibs are the best I've used on long rides. Their marketing must be effective; it's memorable and gets people talking about it, and they've spawned many imitators (both product and style). They have excellent customer service, too. I can't say that about many other brands in any class of merchandise.

Joachim
11-14-2013, 09:20 AM

Should I

B, then C which will lead to A.

ps. I like Rapha and Assos and champion systems and....

metalheart
11-14-2013, 10:03 AM
The Classic Bib Shorts are the best ones I have for comfort and looks. I like that they have no pronounced graphics or logos -- you have to strain to see the subtle black logo.

I tried the merino socks and they were way too rough in comparison to the Endura BABA merino socks, which are now the ones I wear all the time, even off the bike.

Tried one of the merino base layers and I prefer the ones from IBEX, especially the 200 weight for cooler rides.

Just bought a pair of the Rapha knicks and am giving them a try the next few days when it is just a bit cooler. I would have tried the Assos 607 knicks, but I know what size fits me in the Rapha bibs, so went that direction.

Never been tempted to try the jerseys because I don't see the value when compared to Torm or Road Holland for wool blend jerseys. The Torm jerseys have the best pockets I have come across in cycling jerseys.

rando
11-14-2013, 10:12 AM
B, then C which will lead to A.

ps. I like Rapha and Assos and champion systems and....

Whoa, one of these things is the complete opposite of the others. Playing fasty loosey with the intent to slip that by didn't work.

tuscanyswe
11-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Ok, I won't challenge you to a bench press contest. Or a sprint.

Im same weight but 6"2 so you can challenge me for that confidence boost .)

Its annoying they wont fit me. I really want the jerseys to do so but i don't particularly like to look like a complete idiot..

oldpotatoe
11-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Whoa, one of these things is the complete opposite of the others. Playing fasty loosey with the intent to slip that by didn't work.

Briliant, away the business reduction team, away.

fiamme red
11-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Say what you want about Rapha, but the stuff works and lasts a long time.It ought to work and last a long time, for what it costs. But nothing Rapha sells (even on closeout) could possibly be considered a good value, compared with the alternatives on the market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspicuous_consumption

A few years ago, I bought a stack of 100% cotton caps (made in Italy) from Nashbar for $7 each. They fit fine and have lasted for years. Rapha's "100% polycotton" caps (http://www.rapha.cc/lightweight-cap-1-2#tech-spec) (made in China) are $40 each. Do the Rapha caps last 5.7 times as long or fit 5.7 times as well? The latter is doubtful, because it's "one size fits all."

I just bought a new reflective vest (made in USA) for $25. True, it's an ugly bright fluorescent orange, but isn't that the point? Rapha calls their reflective vest a "gilet" (http://www.rapha.cc/hivis-gilet#tech-spec) ($160, made in China) and it only comes in "vibrant hi-vis pink": "A Rapha alternative to garish tabards and Sam Browne belts." (I thought tabards went out in the 16th century? :confused: ) I've ridden a brevet together with someone wearing this Rapha gilet, and the reflective material on it seemed quite ineffective compared with the cheap Sam Browne belts or reflective vests that the others were using.

tuscanyswe
11-14-2013, 12:09 PM
Any discount vouchers or similar around right now? Got a fairly big order waiting in the cart.

Thanks!

tuscanyswe
11-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Got a good tip from a friendly paceliner so i ordered some stuff. Thanks!

Found the previous order tab. Damn who knew i was spending so much on this stuff!! Good thing its deductible :banana: or i wouldent buy it!! i think..

uber
11-14-2013, 06:31 PM
Like many products; if you enjoy it and can afford it, then it is with it.
Life is short. Ride and wear what you love.

uber
11-14-2013, 06:32 PM
That should be "worth". Not "with". Sorry.

Norm Swift
11-14-2013, 06:40 PM
Rapha... because of these points:

Hey, hey, easy there.......I like Rapha, their lifestyle type marketing,

For 'some', if you don't think it's 'worth it', I have an idea, don't buy the stuff. Same for Apple products, I'm sure they will survive without ya.

But ya pay for what ya get. Oh unwashed, unclean one.

metalheart: The Classic Bib Shorts are the best ones I have for comfort and looks. I like that they have no pronounced graphics or logos -- you have to strain to see the subtle black logo.

tiretrax: Say what you want about Rapha, but the stuff works and lasts a long time. Bibs are the best I've used on long rides. Their marketing must be effective; it's memorable and gets people talking about it, and they've spawned many imitators (both product and style). They have excellent customer service, too. I can't say that about many other brands in any class of merchandise.

r_mutt
11-14-2013, 08:35 PM
a Rapha cotton Cap costs 30.- or 40.- a summer Jersey 130, winter jersey 260 ···

I usally pay the caps 10 for mine, 15 if its a one nicer or more difficult to find, summer jerseys cost me some 65, good winter ones maybe 80.

I'm not sure why you should pay twice or three times as much for your cycling clothing items.

probably marketing and image are worth for some the same or more as the actual thing :confused:

like for example Macs, exactly the same intel hardware and components as a HP PC but costs 2 or 3 times as much.

there is one born every minute...

that's pretty funny coming from someone who owns 3 Colnagos.

JWDR
11-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Got a good tip from a friendly paceliner so i ordered some stuff. Thanks!

Found the previous order tab. Damn who knew i was spending so much on this stuff!! Good thing its deductible :banana: or i wouldent buy it!! i think..

All this talk about best bibs in the world is going to make me break down and buy a pair. If whomever would like to pass on this good tip to pick up a pair of classic bibs, I would appreciate it.

rustychisel
11-14-2013, 09:43 PM
It ought to work and last a long time, for what it costs.

A few years ago, I bought a stack of 100% cotton caps (made in Italy) from Nashbar for $7 each. They fit fine and have lasted for years. Rapha's "100% polycotton" caps (http://www.rapha.cc/lightweight-cap-1-2#tech-spec) (made in China) are $40 each. Do the Rapha caps last 5.7 times as long or fit 5.7 times as well? The latter is doubtful, because it's "one size fits all."

In 1978 my LBS guy gave me a cotton cap: "Baggio Cycles Montreal". I'm still wearing it, the yellow has faded a bit I think. I'm hoping my other kit will last half as long

Fixed
11-14-2013, 09:50 PM
I dunno, I'm pretty objective when it comes to cycling gear - either it works as intended or it falls short of the mark. I bought a jersey first, it was ok. Then I bought a cotton cycling cap which I wear except on the hottest or coldest rides. Then I bought some Merino socks which have become the first ones I reach for. I followed this with classic bib tights which at full retail, were on par with other brands - best I've worn so far.

After more than 10 years, my Giordana winter booties called it quits, so I picked up some Rapha neoprene. A bit expensive, but my toes are toasty. Yeah, there image is a bit much sometimes, but I've been pleased with their products thus far and their end of seasons sale is a good time to shop.

Their Rapha club in NYC has been a nice, occasional lunch spot for me where I can have a decent sandwich and watch the Giro d' Lombardia. I dunno, I don't see what the fuss is all about

Antonio
same thing here .it is like my clubhouse right next door open early great coffee
cheers

Salsa_Lover
11-14-2013, 10:46 PM
that's pretty funny coming from someone who owns 3 Colnagos.

Not really, if you consider that I paid close to half list price for my new C50 and C40, the Master was ordered through Mike @ Maestro with a substantial saving, it was expensive yes, but hélas that's an special frame.

The right analogy would be someone who pays twice the list price for a Colnago ( or Pinarello ) because it has a Rapha logo and is black with a coloured stripe on one of the fork's legs ;)

Louis
11-14-2013, 10:50 PM
a Colnago ( or Pinarello ) because it has a Rapha logo and is black with a coloured stripe on one of the fork's legs ;)

ooh, ooh, ooh, where do I get one of those?

bloody sunday
11-15-2013, 12:48 AM
The Classic Bib Shorts are the best ones I have for comfort and looks. I like that they have no pronounced graphics or logos -- you have to strain to see the subtle black logo.

I tried the merino socks and they were way too rough in comparison to the Endura BABA merino socks, which are now the ones I wear all the time, even off the bike.

Tried one of the merino base layers and I prefer the ones from IBEX, especially the 200 weight for cooler rides.

Just bought a pair of the Rapha knicks and am giving them a try the next few days when it is just a bit cooler. I would have tried the Assos 607 knicks, but I know what size fits me in the Rapha bibs, so went that direction.

Never been tempted to try the jerseys because I don't see the value when compared to Torm or Road Holland for wool blend jerseys. The Torm jerseys have the best pockets I have come across in cycling jerseys.

I have a Torm T2 Jersey - and I liked it, but didn't like the half zip. Then, I bought myself a Rapha Classics kit - I originally got an XXL, but it was way too big, got the XL and it fits me perfectly (6', 230) - I wore the TORM jersey probably around 2 times, and since I bought the Rapha classic jersey, I haven't looked back.

I prefer it over the TORM because it's a full zip, but also, when I compare the two, the Rapha is softer and in my subjective opinion, feels like better quality - the blends may be a little different.

Anyone interested in my TORM jersey? :)

rando
11-15-2013, 02:21 AM
Only took 4 pages before this one got good. The recent past makes me think Rapha won't pick on anything as mainstream, Ernesto is probably not that easily bought, as a Colnago.

I'd feel safe saying their clothing line is very hit or miss. Have a bad feeling I should start stocking up on PT kits before they misinterpret the market for sheer SKY jerseys and take the shorts there too. Nobody, and I repeat nobody, wants to see the pasty exposed ribs of uber skinny guys through black mesh. Or any other color of mesh for that matter.

PQJ
11-15-2013, 04:09 AM
uber said it but i'll say it again - rapha makes quality, functional, stylish stuff. if you can afford it, it's worth it. if you can't afford it, there's plenty of affordable stuff that'll do you just fine. i own plenty of expensive, moderate and cheap stuff. it's all good. the important thing is that i get out there riding, having fun. as for the rapha hate, i don't get it.

for a little thread drift (and i know how much mr. #campyuserftw hates thread drift, so sorry for going there ;)): macs cost more, sure, but they are far superior to pc's (this coming from someone who tried very, very, very hard to love a pc). as with rapha vs. not rapha, a pc can do whatever a mac can do, but the user experience just isn't the same.

oldpotatoe
11-15-2013, 07:29 AM
Not really, if you consider that I paid close to half list price for my new C50 and C40, the Master was ordered through Mike @ Maestro with a substantial saving, it was expensive yes, but hélas that's an special frame.

The right analogy would be someone who pays twice the list price for a Colnago ( or Pinarello ) because it has a Rapha logo and is black with a coloured stripe on one of the fork's legs ;)

So if Rapha was deeply discounted by some gray market place,MO/internet place then it would be a good deal? But never at retail?

The 'analogy' is liking the product and the lifestyle marketing and buying it cus it really is good, but expensive, kit, like Colnago.

Or not buy it cuz it's too expensive, not available deeply discounted(friends don't let friends buy at retail), or you think the hype is not worth it.

Whatever, if Rapha stuff fit my dough-boy body, I'd buy it, and I would rather not be on a computer than buy any PC based anything.

BUT YMMV..I guess.

Salsa_Lover
11-15-2013, 07:42 AM
Well sure Rapha sells good and nice things.

The point is they sell them at twice or triple the price of other similar level "good and nice things" on the market.

And that is because they are not a clothing company, they don't make the stuff.

They are a marketing company. They specify it and market it at a premium price.

The interview they made to the owner is clear about that.

He saw a niche market of mature cyclists with plenty of disposable cash that want to have an "epic" cycling experience and they are milking it.

No comparison with Colnago or other high end cycling companies on the clothing field, who actually develop their technic and product.

You want top quality cycling stuff ? Buy the top of the line products from real manufacturing companies like Santini, Castelli etc ( not to mention the most expensive as Assos)

You would tell me Castelli, Santini or Nalini are uninspiring cheap stuff compared to Rapha? Maybe the entry level lines or the replica stuff... The top level lines are same or better ... And cost half.

They are not all black with a pink stripe on one arm though :P

FlashUNC
11-15-2013, 07:49 AM

You must not be a fan of Specialized then. Or umpteen other companies in this industry if that's a qualifier.

Salsa_Lover
11-15-2013, 07:50 AM
... And the comment about the Mac vs PC was an objective one,

Compare a MacBook Pro hardware with an equivalent HP

Same hardware, meaning same Processor, Chipset, Memory, interface cards, Disk etc.

But the MacBook costs almost 3 times the price ( citing Swiss prices 700 vs 1900 CHF )

Probably the Mountain Lion is worth the 1200 , but I am not so sure of that... My Windows 8 does it well just the same.

And did you know you can buy a Mountain Lion for $30 and use the iAktos installer and have it running on an HP notebook just the same identical thing ( called a Hackintosh ) ?

oldpotatoe
11-15-2013, 07:52 AM

The point is they sell them at twice or triple the price of other similar level "good and nice things" on the market.

And that is because they are not a clothing company, they don't make the stuff.

The interview they made to the owner is clear about that.

He saw a niche market of mature cyclists with plenty of disposable cash that want to have an "epic" cycling experience and they are milking it.

No comparison with Colnago or other high end cycling companies on the clothing field, who actually develop their technic and product.

You want top quality cycling stuff ? Buy the top of the line products from real manufacturing companies like Santini, Castelli etc ( not to mention the most expensive as Assos)

You would tell me Castelli, Santini or Nalini are uninspiring cheap stuff compared to Rapha? Maybe the entry level lines or the replica stuff... The top level lines are same or better ... And cost half.

Ya actually think there is a Colnago factory? How about a sram 'factory'?

A lot of the 'stuff', clothes you mentioned is spec'ed by the company, then manufactured by someone else, like MOA, in Italy.

BUT I get it, you think it is overpriced, and I suspect you rankle at their marketing and maybe the fact they are hugely successful.

'Worth' is a big word. I think Rapha and Apple and Patagonia and others are 'worth' it. You don't, don't buy it.

Salsa_Lover
11-15-2013, 07:56 AM

A lot of the 'stuff', clothes you mentioned is spec'ed by the company, then manufactured by someone else, like MOA, in Italy.

BUT I get it, you think it is overpriced, and I suspect you rankle at their marketing and maybe the fact they are hugely successful.

'Worth' is a big word. I think Rapha and Apple and Patagonia and others are 'worth' it. You don't, don't buy it.

The Colnago Workshops actually exist , you can go to Cambiago and visit them ;)

Same about Sidi, Santini etc.

SRAM or Specialized ? No idea

christian
11-15-2013, 08:02 AM
uber said it but i'll say it again - rapha makes quality, functional, stylish stuff. if you can afford it, it's worth it. if you can't afford it, there's plenty of affordable stuff that'll do you just fine. i own plenty of expensive, moderate and cheap stuff. it's all good. the important thing is that i get out there riding, having fun. as for the rapha hate, i don't get it.
Some quality, functional, stylish stuff. The bibs are good. The winter tights are amazing. But the wool blend jerseys - which are a mainstay of their line and sort of what the whole Rapha "look" is based on - are epically bad. They get soggy and then don't retain heat like wool jerseys. They don't fit or wick like synthetic jerseys. Their only redeeming quality appears to be that they look good. An acquaintance of mine has the Paris-Bordeux jersey. Had it for maybe 6 months? Big hole in one side seam. I'm sure they'd fix it for free, but really? Nah, Assos or Castelli for jerseys every day!

oldpotatoe
11-15-2013, 08:37 AM
The Colnago Workshops actually exist , you can go to Cambiago and visit them ;)

Same about Sidi, Santini etc.

SRAM or Specialized ? No idea

The workshops exist but most of Ernesto's frames are made by contract makers, not owned by Ernesto. A LOT are made in Asia.

Sidi-yes, Castelli, Nalini, some others, not entirely.

My point is that you said they 'don't make anything'. Neither do a lot of companies who 'market' a product, a name. The company designs, they have them 'made', like Ritchey, many others. The company doesn't own the factory.

Merckx, DeRosa(all carbon), Pinarello..to name a few.

I get that you don't think Rapha is 'worth' it..10-4....I do, I admire their lifestyle type of marketing, like the other company you don't think is 'worth' it, Apple.

I think Colnago's are a great frame tho, BUT after one 'interaction' with yer buddy Mike at Maestro, I have little respect for him.

PM if you are interested, don't if you aren't.

Not gonna air the laundry here.

I'm out, gonna ride to to try to lose that SBW(Standard Bike Weight-20 lbs) so I get a Rapha summer jersey.

fiamme red
11-15-2013, 08:55 AM
The right analogy would be someone who pays twice the list price for a Colnago ( or Pinarello ) because it has a Rapha logo and is black with a coloured stripe on one of the fork's legs ;)Yes, exactly.

Here's a case in point. You can buy the exact same LINO cappucino cup set from Rapha or from notNeutral:

http://www.rapha.cc/rapha-cappuccino-cup-set

http://www.notneutral.com/index.php/coffee-cups/lino-cappuccino-cups-set.html

Rapha sells the set for $70, notNeutral for $36. The only difference is that the Rapha set has a Rapha logo and stripe, and a quote from Hennie Kuiper (lifted from Tim Krabbé's The Rider) on the bottom of the saucer.

There are obviously people who feel that the almost 100% markup over MSRP is worth it in order to participate in the Rapha "lifestyle" (as Old Potatoe calls it). It's your money, spend it as you like. :)

bloody sunday
11-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Some quality, functional, stylish stuff. The bibs are good. The winter tights are amazing. But the wool blend jerseys - which are a mainstay of their line and sort of what the whole Rapha "look" is based on - are epically bad. They get soggy and then don't retain heat like wool jerseys. They don't fit or wick like synthetic jerseys. Their only redeeming quality appears to be that they look good. An acquaintance of mine has the Paris-Bordeux jersey. Had it for maybe 6 months? Big hole in one side seam. I'm sure they'd fix it for free, but really? Nah, Assos or Castelli for jerseys every day!

I'm comparing my Rapha classic jersey to the Torm T2 jersey. The Torm is supposed to be a cheap replica of the Rapha sportwool jersey, and I can say from owning and using both of them, the Rapha is far superior to the Torm.

The wicking capability of the Rapha vs. Torm is like night and day. I have never worn them without a synthetic base layer, but the Rapha is as dry as a bone even after a 100K ride, while the Torm jersey felt soggy and heavy after the same distance. I've used the Torm jersey maybe twice and have never looked back after I bought the R. classic.

christian
11-15-2013, 09:31 AM
I'm comparing my Rapha classic jersey to the Torm T2 jersey. The Torm is supposed to be a cheap replica of the Rapha sportwool jersey, and I can say from owning and using both of them, the Rapha is far superior to the Torm.Point is, Sportwool is a dumb material for activewear. It's plastic in sheep's clothing and not as good as pure wool nor as good a pure synthetics. I'm not sure what comparing two Sportwool jerseys proves.

Compare a Rapha jersey to a Castelli Fedele or Assos Evo Intermediate. I'd rather wear the Rapha to Starbucks, but riding 100 miles, I'd pick either of the other two first. (I sold my Rapha jerseys, fwiw.)

arcadian
11-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Point is, Sportwool is a dumb material for activewear. It's plastic in sheep's clothing and not as good as pure wool nor as good a pure synthetics. I'm not sure what comparing two Sportwool jerseys proves.

Compare a Rapha jersey to a Castelli Fedele or Assos Evo Intermediate. I'd rather wear the Rapha to Starbucks, but riding 100 miles, I'd pick either of the other two first. (I sold my Rapha jerseys, fwiw.)

My Rapha jerseys work well. No complaints at all. I have 4. Maybe others jerseys work better, but to act like they suck seems a bit off base.

tuscanyswe
11-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Anyone who tried the touring trousers want to share their experience?

bloody sunday
11-15-2013, 09:47 AM
I'm not sure what comparing two Sportwool jerseys proves.

you serious? my comparison proves that Rapha > Torm

Also, I'm way more comfortable in my Rapha classic than I am in my Capo Padrone or any other full synthetic jersey (of which I have had several). These are rides from 30-100 miles, the R.C. performs better in hot or cold (as cold as the bay area can get)

PQJ
11-15-2013, 09:58 AM
I'm sure they'd fix it for free, but really? Nah, Assos or Castelli for jerseys every day!

That's another thing I didn't mention - Rapha customer service is top notch and they'll bend over backwards to make sure you're a happy camper. Yeah, yeah, you 'pay' for it, but whatever. I'm a fan.

I've not had any experience with their wool jerseys but my wool base layer is awesome. 2+ years of use and it still looks new.

Assos is good stuff, too. More expensive than Rapha but I find a a fair bit of their stuff too . . . er . . . fashion forward.

Salsalover - curious to know whether you've spent any meaningful amount of time using a mac?

christian
11-15-2013, 10:07 AM
Also, I'm way more comfortable in my Rapha classic than I am in my Capo Padrone or any other full synthetic jersey (of which I have had several).De gustibus non disputandum est. Glad you like 'em.

I've not had any experience with their wool jerseys but my wool base layer is awesome. 2+ years of use and it still looks new.
Their merino baselayers are great. I find Cedar Cycling baselayer to be just a hair better than Rapha, but the Rapha ones are damn good.

BTW, the mesh baselayer with "Merci Roubaix!" on it? Yeah, still want that one badly because I loved Ballerini.

#campyuserftw
11-15-2013, 10:11 AM
I leaped over to Mac two years ago. Had Samsung laptops for years. Grabbed a Macbook Air and loved it. Then iPad, iPhone, iPad Air, and Apple tv. The cost of Apple stuff was appalling to me, but I got over it with the quality of the Macbook Air. I wear Patagonia, North Face, Brooks Brothers, Allen Edmonds and soon, Rapha. Always, always Campagnolo.

The hats arrived yesterday. The lightweight cap feels like silk. Curious over their durability, time will tell beginning next spring.

bloody sunday
11-15-2013, 10:47 AM
De gustibus non disputandum est. Glad you like 'em.

Seriously, almost everything related to cycling is highly subjective. I hope you don't think I'm a Rapha apologist. I was one of the haters before I bought something. I will say though that my cheap Assos T_Pro bibs are way way better than my Rapha Classic bibs :eek:

teleguy57
11-15-2013, 11:40 AM
The man has style.

I leaped over to Mac two years ago. Had Samsung laptops for years. Grabbed a Macbook Air and loved it. Then iPad, iPhone, iPad Air, and Apple tv. The cost of Apple stuff was appalling to me, but I got over it with the quality of the Macbook Air. I wear Patagonia, North Face, Brooks Brothers, Allen Edmonds and soon, Rapha. Always, always Campagnolo.

The hats arrived yesterday. The lightweight cap feels like silk. Curious over their durability, time will tell beginning next spring.

Anarchist
11-15-2013, 12:01 PM

OP - don't engage. This poster has a history of picking a couple of "things" that he proceeds to lecture on, he will never be wrong. His rants on RBR over compact cranks were insane. The gist was pretty much - if you can't ride standard cranks (whatever they are) then you shouldn't be riding.

This thread is just another in his line of "targets"

FlashUNC
11-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Jan Ullrich in Rapha. Everyone go crazy.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/17e5b8ed82cdcc20d99a04523e735825/tumblr_mw7pstR1QN1qzxpybo1_1280.jpg

fiamme red
11-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Jan Ullrich in Rapha. Everyone go crazy.This is one of those silly Rapha jersey tags:

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4046/4372745776_c3a5ca1b3b_b.jpg

FlashUNC
11-15-2013, 12:55 PM
You say silly, I say fun...

#campyuserftw
11-15-2013, 01:00 PM
New Tag :):

THE AMERICAN

April 19, 1775 the colonies threw a big rock.
They kicked arse at Yorktown in 1781.
In 1783 the Treaty of Paris ended the War and colonies were recognized as America.
A country held it's breath.
Greg LeMond, le American, went back to Paris in 1986 and took the Maillot Jaune.

THE BADGER'S DREAMS WERE SHATTERED.

GREG LeMOND GAVE US ALL DREAMS AND SO MUCH MORE
FIXED RIDES HIS BIKE TODAY

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=138201

:beer:

Fixed
11-15-2013, 01:53 PM
New Tag :):

THE AMERICAN

April 19, 1775 the colonies threw a big rock.
They kicked arse at Yorktown in 1781.
In 1783 the Treaty of Paris ended the War and colonies were recognized as America.
A country held it's breath.
Greg LeMond, le American, went back to Paris in 1986 and took the Maillot Jaune.
N
THE BADGER'S DREAMS WERE SHATTERED.

GREG LeMOND GAVE US ALL DREAMS AND SO MUCH MORE

FIXED RIDES HIS BIKE TODAY

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=138201

Lemond was a fighter I loved him I grew up as a cyclist cheering him on ,our first world class cyclist ,
thanks to campyuserfwd his kindness I am riding his bike he set up for me ,I just got off the bike I am riding everyday my legs are starting to come back to me
I am a fighter too riding Lemond's bike has given me my life back as a cyclist the Bottacchia is the finest riding and fitting not to mention the most beautiful bike I have ever used .
I loved Jan U. too but he was no Lemond IMHO
Cheers

binxnyrwarrsoul
11-15-2013, 03:13 PM
"Always, always Campagnolo."

più uno

Never used Rapha. For me, Castelli (jerseys) and Santini (jerseys and bibshorts/nicks) just work.

oldpotatoe
11-16-2013, 07:40 AM
I'm comparing my Rapha classic jersey to the Torm T2 jersey. The Torm is supposed to be a cheap replica of the Rapha sportwool jersey, and I can say from owning and using both of them, the Rapha is far superior to the Torm.

The wicking capability of the Rapha vs. Torm is like night and day. I have never worn them without a synthetic base layer, but the Rapha is as dry as a bone even after a 100K ride, while the Torm jersey felt soggy and heavy after the same distance. I've used the Torm jersey maybe twice and have never looked back after I bought the R. classic.

Hey, hey, HEY...no fair putting opinions after actually using the stuff here.

The Torm stuff takes all the moisture outta yer mouth, looking at it. It is trying to be 'Rapha like', but fails on so many fronts..on spite of being a Brit company. Bland comes to mind. Unimaginative as well.

r_mutt
11-16-2013, 11:56 AM
OP - don't engage. This poster has a history of picking a couple of "things" that he proceeds to lecture on, he will never be wrong. His rants on RBR over compact cranks were insane. The gist was pretty much - if you can't ride standard cranks (whatever they are) then you shouldn't be riding.

that might be the case, but i feel he is correct in this instance. now obviously not everything Rapha makes is worth it, but a few select pieces are.

the Rapha rants are getting tired-especially on a forum where people regularly spend 4-5K on a bike. Campagnolo is a bit more expensive than Shimano and SRAM- where are the long winded rant on Capangnolo corkscrews and water bottle holders?

professerr
11-16-2013, 12:04 PM
Campagnolo is a bit more expensive than Shimano and SRAM- where are the long winded rant on Capangnolo corkscrews and water bottle holders?

Campagnolo earned their cred, they didn't copy write it.

oldpotatoe
11-16-2013, 02:28 PM

it's great entertainment in the AM...I think sometimes he's channeling Grant Peterson. Him Being from Switzerland makes it even better.

r_mutt
11-16-2013, 04:42 PM

you got a point there.

as far as apha goes- i'm sure they believe that any press is good press. at least they aren't being ignored.

#campyuserftw
11-16-2013, 06:39 PM

I'm combining Campy, hand-made American steel, a clean-shaven face, unshaven legs, gum walled tires, grit, grizzle, and real life sweat, with Rapha; it is my hope the consummate class and street-cred of Campy, can overcome any marketing hipster falsehood of the interweb/Rapha. The jerseys arrive soon. Stay tuned.

bloody sunday
11-16-2013, 07:56 PM
I'm combining Campy, hand-made American steel, a clean-shaven face, unshaven legs, gum walled tires, grit, grizzle, and real life sweat, with Rapha; it is my hope the consummate class and street-cred of Campy, can overcome any marketing hipster falsehood of the interweb/Rapha. The jerseys arrive soon. Stay tuned.

You have just described most riders in the Rapha Continental

bloody sunday
11-16-2013, 07:57 PM
Hey, hey, HEY...no fair putting opinions after actually using the stuff here.

The Torm stuff takes all the moisture outta yer mouth, looking at it. It is trying to be 'Rapha like', but fails on so many fronts..on spite of being a Brit company. Bland comes to mind. Unimaginative as well.

i agree 100%

rando
11-16-2013, 09:17 PM
You have just described most riders in the Rapha Continental

Start a Paceline team with old potatoe driving the car and acting as spiritual support. How likely is finding a dozen who can ride a double century at race pace and then close down the epic after party?

Fixed
11-17-2013, 04:59 AM
:help:
The man has style.

+1
No question about that
Cheers

Salsa_Lover
11-17-2013, 11:25 AM

The "insane rants" you refer to was directed to people who bought expensive competitive race bikes with top of the line components and carbon wheels, but with high handlebars, compact cranks and huge cassettes and fat tyres.... Just to ride around the neighbourhood but saying "the pros ride it to Zoncolan so they are legit" :p

That combined with the usual forum banter, and distortion of the original intention and also with my own semi-trolling.

Btw nothing wrong with comfort components, my commuter is that very thing and more I have a triple on it, high handlebars and 32c tyres.

That won't be so fitting for a racing bike though, horses for courses

#campyuserftw
11-17-2013, 11:42 AM
The "insane rants" you refer to was directed to people who bought expensive competitive race bikes with top of the line components and carbon wheels, but with high handlebars, compact cranks and huge cassettes and fat tyres.... Just to ride around the neighbourhood but saying "the pros ride it to Zoncolan so they are legit" :p

That combined with the usual forum banter, and distortion of the original intention and also with my own semi-trolling.

Btw nothing wrong with comfort components, my commuter is that very thing and more I have a triple on it, high handlebars and 32c tyres.

That won't be so fitting for a racing bike though, horses for courses

SL, be a Swiss semi-troll!
OldPotato be Campy-Colorado!
Just be Rapha!

FlashUNC
11-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Jan is displeased with the direction of this thread. And the fact it's not to 24 pages yet.

http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/sports/2013/06/22/cyclist_jan_ullrich_admits_blood_doping/jan_ullrich.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

#campyuserftw
11-17-2013, 12:00 PM
The jerseys arrive perhaps tomorrow. There will be photos, reviews, then rides with sweat reports of smartwool. Twenty-four pages is a big ask, but we shall see.

fuzzalow
11-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Twenty-four pages is a big ask, but we shall see.

I have only 1 Rapha jersey - a Paul Smith. Was it overpriced? Not for me because if I didn't want to buy it, I would not have bought it! C'mon, it's a bike jersey; it works OK, it looks OK; I can ride slow with it on just so more people can see me wearing it. :rolleyes:

Shooting at Rapha is too easy at this point and wholly unoriginal. 24 pages? Yeah, easy to do but there's the saying that water seeks its own level, all hail the hoi polloi.

FlashUNC
11-17-2013, 12:24 PM
The jerseys arrive perhaps tomorrow. There will be photos, reviews, then rides with sweat reports of smartwool. Twenty-four pages is a big ask, but we shall see.

I believe in our collective ability to fling poo at one another over Rapha.

#campyuserftw
11-19-2013, 07:55 PM
The jerseys arrived today. Tried the Fig Club Jersey in Large on, fit perfectly. I am 6' and 188 lbs. I'll be 184 lbs again when I get back into cycling in the springtime. Jersey should still fit very well.

The Trade Team jersey in Large also fit perfectly.

Could both of them have a better, tighter cut for me between the chest and into the arm pits, yes, but overall, nice fit indeed. I am not built like a climber, though steep hills are my favorite things to do on the bike.

I usually hate 1/4 or 1/2 zipped jerseys. The Club Jersey looks very classy, and it's the first non full-zip jersey I dig.

The zippers are well made, the material feels comfortable and when pinched between the fingers, the fabric feels well made.

Celebrex, Campy and Rapha. Coming to a road near you in 2014. The medical miracle lives on. Quote me.

I am considering the Rapha shoes. It's 33-33. The new Giro Factor ACC shoes are essentially the same. I'm a buckle guy. I like the top strap to start as deep into my arch as possible, flow over the top of my ankle, and connect with a buckle deep on the outer foot; the Giro Factor ACC is $150.00 less than Rapha. The other 33% is for Sidi, either the simple, baseline Sidi Five, or Genius 6.6.

Giro 45.5 was a wee too long. Might try Giro 45, Rapha 45 or Sidi. If I go Sidi, any advice on size? Seems 45.5 Sidi would work?

Anyway, the Rapha jerseys are nice. I didn't read the cheesy quotes scribed within them, and I won't.

bloody sunday
11-19-2013, 08:00 PM
In my experience, Sidi run true size. I wear 46.5 Megas

Kirk007
11-19-2013, 09:18 PM

I call total BS on this. I'm looking at winter jackets right now - go price top line Castelli, Assos, Gore etc etc. I can get a rapha rain jacket right now for $10 more than a Showers Pass. Nothing against Showers Pass, I've gotta few - made in China btw.

choke
11-19-2013, 09:24 PM
I am considering the Rapha shoes.To quote you again...."It starts with a cap, then a jersey, then..."

rando
11-19-2013, 09:27 PM
but it was only a kiss....how did it end up like this?