PDA

View Full Version : bike mess is a mess ...i.m.h.o.

Fixed
01-17-2006, 05:05 PM
bro I have a cold any advise on how to keep goin with a sore throat and a runny nose? cheers
:beer:

PeterW
01-17-2006, 05:11 PM
I follow the shoulder rule.

If it gets below, to the lungs, off the bike and into bed.

If it stays above, keep on ridin.

Though, I've been off the bike for 10 days straight because of nose surgery. I'm going crazy!

Big Dan
01-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Tequila............. :p

I.M.H.O.

Brian Smith
01-17-2006, 05:30 PM
bro I have a cold any advise on how to keep goin with a sore throat and a runny nose? cheers

no beer.
long shower, extra vitamin packed meal.
throat coat or at least an herbal tea, early to bed.
tomorrow wear neck protection (We at Serotta received embroidered Black Diamond fleece neck gaiters at holidaytime, sweet!) and stop yourself from irritating your throat with something that has eucalyptus such as HALLS(tm) drops, lemon or cherry are better during rides than the plain menthol for making the air not feel so cold. Don't sweat the small stuff like run on sentences tomorrow bro.

tomorrow remember there's nothing on time about a mistake, and you're more likely to make 'em whe you're ill. you know all about that though by now.

I hope you get better soon man, 'tis the season.

weisan
01-17-2006, 05:52 PM
pray.

And I will do that for you, fixed-pal. Hope you feel better.

ps. what does Mrs. Fixed say?

Bill Bove
01-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Make those little packets of Emergence-C with piping hot water.

You don't lose fitness while you are sick. You use it. Right now your body is using it's fitness to fight the infection just like it would fight the stress of a race, after you get over it you'll be tired riding for a few days just like you would be after a hard race. You recover from that and you'll recover from this so relax, let it pass and THEN get back on your bike.

People in Florida shouldn't get the flu, that's so...northern :p

e-RICHIE
01-17-2006, 06:08 PM

do it like a greek;
get windex bro.

μην με πυροβολήστε εγώ είναι ακριβώς ο αγγελιοφόρος ποδηλάτων. ενόχληση. imho. ευθυμίες! :beer:

OldDog
01-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Alka-Selzer Cold works for me and sip some tea and honey.

spiderlake
01-17-2006, 09:06 PM
Sounds like you have what I am getting...... so much for getting that flu shot!

Don't laugh but I swear by Thera-Flu (lemon flavor) with a ton of honey or sugar to make it drinkable. The stuff knocks me out and I wake up feeling much better. Just drank a cup down and keeping my fingers crossed that it does the trick...

My excuse for getting sick is living in Michigan. It just doesn't seem right that someone in Florida would get sick! Hope you are feeling better soon!

Darrin

93legendti
01-17-2006, 09:30 PM
www.sinusrinse.com

Argos
01-17-2006, 10:32 PM
If you can handle it, and you are a big dude, so you most likely can, I like the Day-Quil, Ny-Quil thing. It keeps me clear. I also have a two pronged approach to attack the dehydration (out your nose) and vitamin dosing, sililar to what Bill-Bove was saying...

I buy a Half Gallon of OJ. I put my name on it with a Sharpy so no one else touches it (cause I'm sick, not greedy) and I make sure I polish that thing off in 4-6 hours. You pee alot, which is good, you are hydrating. Your getting extra Vitamin C (though I'd get more), and your getting the sugars your body is burning through at the muscle in order to provide energy faster then you can burn fat.

I also for this reason suggest either some Raw Tuna (Mmmmmm) or lean grilled chicken. This way you get a nice blend of protein, with nothing else to interfere with it during digestion, to help replenish the Muscle proteins...

Yeah, Whey protein works too, but c'mon, you're sick, you deserve something that tastes good.

Feel Better big guy! We wanna hear about your next training crit.

"Episode III: Fixed Kicks the Am Classic guys to the Curb!"

And your son's racing. I can't believe they'd be such preeks with a kid right there... Some people.

shaq-d
01-17-2006, 11:23 PM
who doesn't have advice for colds? lol. anyway, keep your nose runny. as much as all the medicines work, (and i do at least 5,000mg's of vit c a day when i have a cold, pop'm like candy) i'd say it's even more important to keep your nose physically draining. this gets the germs out. so baths, keeping face warm, and cycling are all good for colds. runny nose=cold will go away.

sd

SGP
01-18-2006, 06:37 AM
http://www.yogitea.com/Organic-Tea/Tea.asp?Tea_ID=HF30

try it with honey.

Ozz
01-18-2006, 06:45 AM
I'm going thru the same thing right now....hydrate, rest and salt water gargle to sooth your throat.

Kevan
01-18-2006, 07:03 AM
Ride out the storm. Unless of course the storm is too big, then seek shelter and a soft pillow.

RABikes2
01-18-2006, 07:34 AM
I had the same crud a few weeks ago :crap: . As Bill Bove says Emergenc-E packets by Alacer Co. (buy at health food stores-we sell it at our bike shop:) ) are great for the vitamins. I even use them in my water bottles mixed with Accelerade while riding. Get some ZICAM nose spray. It doesn't stop a cold, but helps to shorten the time you have it. Drink some herb tea, have some chicken soup, and go to bed early; sleep, sleep, sleep! Keep using the vitamin packets and Zicam until you're :D again!
Feel better soon, Fixed.
RA

MaryLnsky
01-18-2006, 07:38 AM
Airborne works wonders. Its had a mega dose of Vit C like EmergenC but also has Zinc and other ingredients to boost the immune system. I take it when I'm feeling like I'm coming down with a cold (you just put the tab in water like Alka seltzer) every 3 hours and have felt better within hours. Not a single cold yet this winter.

rphetteplace
01-18-2006, 10:08 AM
I've got it in the lungs as we speak mp :crap:

MartyE
01-18-2006, 10:46 AM
I've always thought my grandmothers solution was good
1 cup hot tea (or a glass of tea)
1 teaspoon honey
lemon to taste
1 shot whiskey of your choice (schnapps was preferred)

to the basic recipie I've added a few fresh ginger slices, works wonders.

coylifut
01-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Airborne works wonders. Its had a mega dose of Vit C like EmergenC but also has Zinc and other ingredients to boost the immune system. I take it when I'm feeling like I'm coming down with a cold (you just put the tab in water like Alka seltzer) every 3 hours and have felt better within hours. Not a single cold yet this winter.

The Airborne stuff is the ticket. My wife has my daughters take it at the first sign of a virus. We as a family take it anytime we get on an airplane, go to the theater - or any crowded place. We haven't missed a day of school or work due to illness in a couple of years. (I've jinxed my self now haven't I?) The only downfall is that it's expensive. We buy it in bulk at Costco.

Get well.

SoCalSteve
01-18-2006, 10:59 AM
I've always thought my grandmothers solution was good
1 cup hot tea (or a glass of tea)
1 teaspoon honey
lemon to taste
1 shot whiskey of your choice (schnapps was preferred)
to the basic recipie I've added a few fresh ginger slices, works wonders.
Doesnt cure your cold...but hell, who cares!!!