PDA

View Full Version : More Euro Cross

oldpotatoe
11-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Mud, huge crowds, beer and brats..great stuff

And of 20 pix, no a single disc brake bicycle...

oh well..go with what works, is lightest, IMHO.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/soudal-jaarmarktcross-niel-2013

rice rocket
11-13-2013, 09:24 AM
I know you have a lot of axes to grind, but Sven Nys has been running disc on a part time basis for the last few races.

Gummee
11-13-2013, 09:42 AM
I know you have a lot of axes to grind, but Sven Nys has been running disc on a part time basis for the last few races.

...and kvetching about the weight too

M

Auk
11-13-2013, 10:17 AM

One lap does not make a part time basis make.

The next race was even muddier and he ran cantis from start to finish.

nooneline
11-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Niels was using discs a bit, too. And little Lars, of course. The top-tier guys will hold out for a while but they'll succumb to pressure from their sponsors eventually.

beeatnik
11-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Fascinating bike of the day:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro-bike-joachim-parbos-cielo-cross-racer

Want a Cielo Cross Racer

oldpotatoe
11-13-2013, 10:30 AM
One lap does not make a part time basis make.

The next race was even muddier and he ran cantis from start to finish.

correct..it is an observation and on a discussion group...for Mr Rocket and Mr Gummee.....

Who may not be thrilled is the sponsors, like those that now have discs, for cross, and the 'big boys' aren't using them...

"win on sunday, sell on monday"

If ya think discs is the 'next great thing', on bicycles, groovy, let us know how yours work...not the ones you 'may' get for free, but the stuff you actually pay for. DISCUSSION group, discuss if ya want, if ya don't, don't.

I think wet discs on a cross racing bike, like on a MTB, are a GREAT idea..as are tubulars.

Just I think the Euro cross racers are more 'individualistic' than their big team, road racing cousins.

Cat3roadracer
11-13-2013, 10:31 AM
I almost won a cat 4 race this past Sunday on cantilever brakes. They work just fine, the 17 guys in front if me all had cantis as well.

rice rocket
11-13-2013, 10:44 AM

M

If Cannondale is making (and selling) an 11 lb off-the-shelf bike with no weight weenie parts...you don't think they could make a 15 lb cross bike in a few years?

http://road.cc/content/news/61231-cannondale-2013-launch-655g-supersix-evo-black

It's only a matter of time, folks. Enjoy your grouching while you can! :)

laupsi
11-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Not griping, just telling - have a Cannodale CAADX w/Shimano Disk Ultegra, on a scale of 1-10, ranking the brakes a solid 3.

blessthismess
11-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Fascinating bike of the day:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro-bike-joachim-parbos-cielo-cross-racer

Want a Cielo Cross Racer

Classy steel frame, subtle paint job and dressed in some high performance parts. Super cool for sure.

Gummee
11-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Personally, I've got nothing against discs

for the right application

The mud races in BEL last weekend? GREAT place for discs. The dry, flat-ish courses I typically race in the Mid-Atlantic? Not so much.

Combine 'having to buy new wheels' with 'heavier and more complicated' and I'll pass for the cross bike.

M

Auk
11-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Right now, they're a pound more than the alternative. When they become the same weight, the pros will likely adopt.

My main bike is setup with Pauls. I have a secondary bike that is BB7 (yes, I know the hydros are the tits in comparison), and while nice on single track trails and while riding in snow, I'm know begging in the least to convert.

gomango
11-13-2013, 02:27 PM

M

Agreed.

Hardly a head long rush to convert.

Germany_chris
11-13-2013, 02:33 PM
In the real word where I have to stop for a car down hill in the snow I'll take a disc thank you. On a cross course it's just not that important; how many times have you come to a complete halt in race that didn't involve a pileup?

Cantis and V's will stop you if they didn't most of us would be dead right now but disc's are no sh*t better at everything but weight.

deluxerider
11-13-2013, 03:44 PM
I made the switch to mechanical discs on my custom bike last year and I'm very happy. Granted, it is generally very dry in Colorado and the one uber muddy race I raced I did have some pad wear that I could feel on the last lap. I feel that with a hydraulic system I would not have had that issue. I was never happy with the stopping power of canti's. I felt I had to ride in the drops to get the power I wanted and could not get enough leverage to apply the power I wanted from the hoods. There are limitations to every braking system, but there is no reason not to ride disc brakes in cx. My guess is that younger Euro riders will more readily adopt disc brakes. Outside of weight and the mechanical brake wear issue what exactly are the big advantages of canti's?

crankles
11-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Canti's provide all the power i'll ever need in a cross race. *HOWEVER*, I long for my mtb xtr-like single finger braking for my aching hands 45 minutes into an hour cross race. That's what makes the difference. Iv'e ridden many of the protoypes ( hope, trp, 324labs )...and cant wait to try the shimano setup.

again for me it's all braking control when you are cross-eyed/hypoxic towards the end of a race where small mistakes can really cost you.

tsampson
11-14-2013, 06:31 PM
I'd venture out on a limb and say that the US is leading the cyclocross world in technology. Actually most tech in general. Look at the history, 29ers, discs on mtn bikes, now discs on cross bikes. We do it first, they try it out and follow. I think discs on cross bikes will continue the trend. Kinda interesting, and cool

oldpotatoe
11-15-2013, 07:39 AM
I'd venture out on a limb and say that the US is leading the cyclocross world in technology. Actually most tech in general. Look at the history, 29ers, discs on mtn bikes, now discs on cross bikes. We do it first, they try it out and follow. I think discs on cross bikes will continue the trend. Kinda interesting, and cool

I'd say a better question is where the manufacturers see as the best market for their new 'stuff'. Cross is big in Europe, but really only at the highest levels. Little grass roots cross racing by amateurs in Europe, at least not on the scale as the US. Europe, big crowds, relatively small race fields. US HUGE race fields, relatively smaller crowds.

Same for MTB stuff, which has been pretty flat for years and where racing, in the US and in Europe, has actually declined.

bobswire
11-15-2013, 08:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSFbEfxnNiU