PDA

View Full Version : Seatpost Setback, Again

keno
01-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Having long femurs, setback always seems to be an issue for me. Having thought more than probably necessary, I have concluded that the critical measurement on a seatpost is the distance from the center line of the post to the leading edge of the clamp, as the latter is what limits the rearward movement of the saddle and clamp sizes vary (I'm assuming that tilt and getting to tightening and adjustment bolts is not an issue). I have adopted this measurement as my own standard for evaluating the setback on various seatposts.

I have an Easton EC70 post on my Ottrott and have measured that distance. I want to compare it to the same measurement on both the FSA K-Force Lite 27.2 and the FSA SL220 27.2. Each comes in black, which is the aesthetic necessity and why I don't just call Albert Bold, which I have, BTW, and he sounds like a great guy but doesn't make his posts in black.

If any of you has either of the FSA K-Force Lite and FSA SL220 27.2 posts, or both, or other black 27.2 posts which promise setback, please do the measurement and let me know. Incidentally, William suggested the Hellbent to me, which initially sounded great but requires more seatpost above the binder than I have to give if I want to reach the pedals. The setback in the Hellbent is created through a bend, all of which must be above the binder clamp obviously.

Thanks,

keno

SoCalSteve
01-17-2006, 02:54 PM
PM...

Steve

tv_vt
01-17-2006, 02:59 PM
Keno,

I use both of the FSA posts you mention. They both are great - I'd recommend them for attaining the most setback. Also keep an eye on eBay for them. I got great deals on the SL220.

Thom

ctric
01-17-2006, 03:58 PM
From my understanding, set back is measured from post centerline to clamp centerline.

I have a K-Force Lite, 27.2 with 35 mm setback (that I replaced with due to too much setback for me). The measurement from the post centerline to the front edge of the bottom clamp is about 14 mm. The measurement from the post centerline to the front edge of the top clamp (bottom and top clamp are not equal length) is about 18 mm.

K-Force lite comes in 25 mm and zero setback versions.

keno
01-17-2006, 04:11 PM
if I understand correctly, the limiting measurement is 14mm since that's where the saddle rails will bind. Curious to know if the measurement from the post centerline to the clamp bolt (one bolt, yes?) is 35. You mention all of 35, 25 and 0 setbacks. Did you mean 35 or 25 in your last sentence?

I agree that most take setback as you first describe it, but it seems apparent to me that different manufacturers with different clamps could end up, as a practical matter, with very different setbacks experienced by the rider with the saddle pushed all the way back in the clamp. That is why I came up with my measurement.

Thanks,

Ken

ctric
01-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Sorry, what I meant to say is that it also comes with a 25 and zero setback. Total setbacks available: 35,25 and 0.

Clamp has 2 bolt system (which I prefer)

The top clamp is shorter than the bottom clamp and since your limit is where the seat rails go up I would say your measurement would be about 18 mm.

I have tried to attach photo but had no luck. Will try again.
Option is to go to competitive cyclist and use their product viewer to scroll around parts of the post.

keno
01-17-2006, 05:16 PM
please send me the photo at keno@blast.net.

Thanks,

keno

keno
01-18-2006, 06:36 AM
is what my idea is. I realized that one bolt clamps move forward and back when tilt is adjusted. As a result, in order to have good data on one bolt clamps the clamp should be centered at zero tilt before making the measurement I asked for.

keno

tv_vt
01-23-2007, 08:33 AM
This is from Cyclingnews quite a while ago:

Here is a list of some of the seatposts that have more than standard setback. Standard setback I would define as when the front edge of the seat rail clamp is in line with the centre of the seatpost shaft as viewed from the side. Common examples of standard posts are Campagnolo and Shimano seatposts. By that standard, the following seatposts will give you more rearward adjustment.
Kalloy [one piece 'Ritchey' style]: + 10mm
Easton EA 70, EC 70 and EC90: +12mm
American Classic (if the seat is pushed all the way back till the rail bend meets the abbreviated upper clamp): + 13mm
FSA SL 220 and FSA K Force Carbon: +22mm
TruVativ XR single clamp and TruVativ Team single clamp: +20mm