PDA

View Full Version : OT: First snow hit. No more riding. :-(

sales guy
11-12-2013, 07:52 AM
First snow in Northern Ohio.

Who else has it now? Earlier than normal?

William
11-12-2013, 07:56 AM
First snow falling right now....though I don't expect more than an inch and it will probably melt before the day is out. Still, seems like it was summer last week.:(

William

thwart
11-12-2013, 07:58 AM
We have 1/2" on the ground and 20 degrees.

After the past few years with nice, warm autumns, this year we have had the opposite… :mad:

Actually, sort of like our Spring 2013.

Makes for a lower mileage year...

cfox
11-12-2013, 07:59 AM
a bit here in southwest CT...it'll melt in 2 hours, but not before the genius road crew dumps 6 billion metric tons of salt and sand on the roads (please, please genius roads crew don't do that).

CDollarsign
11-12-2013, 08:03 AM
We've got a dusting in Southern Ohio. Logged 50 miles on the Merckx yesterday with near 60 degree weather so not feeling too bad about it!

nighthawk
11-12-2013, 08:08 AM
Cold enough to snow here, but nothing on the ground yet. I'm going to have a bit more free time in the coming months, so hoping it doesn't snow much till January. yeah, right.

christian
11-12-2013, 08:12 AM
Dear Specialized Allez, I know I've been ignoring you in favor of Mr. Colnago. Let's get reacquainted. Love, your owner.

benb
11-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Why does first snow mean no more riding???? :rolleyes:

bcroslin
11-12-2013, 08:30 AM
At the risk of sounding like the chamber of commerce I'm going to put a plug in for the St Petersburg, FL area to be your vacation destination of choice this winter. Currently the temps are hovering around the low 80's although we're about to get a cold snap where the low will be a chilly 65 degrees. There are group rides EVERY morning 7 day's a week and 2 different training rides on Saturday. We even have 2 amazing mtb parks 50-60 min's away. We also have hills 60's min's north in San Antonio, FL. Did I forget to mention the beaches? The water will be warm enough to swim in for another month.

The economy got hit pretty good here in Central FL and we could use more tourism dollars so if you're looking for a warm place to ride this winter come on down. We have art museums, great restaurants, and miles and miles of bike lanes with an award-winning rails-to-trials path that is 40 miles long.

54ny77
11-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Pictures please.

;)

At the risk of sounding like the chamber of commerce I'm going to put a plug in for the St Petersburg, FL area to be your vacation destination of choice this winter. Currently the temps are hovering around the low 80's although we're about to get a cold snap where the low will be a chilly 65 degrees. There are group rides EVERY morning 7 day's a week and 2 different training rides on Saturday. We even have 2 amazing mtb parks 50-60 min's away. We also have hills 60's min's north in San Antonio, FL. Did I forget to mention the beaches? The water will be warm enough to swim in for another month.

The economy got hit pretty good here in Central FL and we could use more tourism dollars so if you're looking for a warm place to ride this winter come on down. We have art museums, grey restaurants, and miles and miles of bike lanes with and award-winning rails-to-trials path.

sales guy
11-12-2013, 08:35 AM

No more fun riding in nice weather and less clothing. Can't bring out the nice bikes.
I will still ride, indoors. But not much outside. All the trails will be closed as to not damage them. So it's just road riding. And drivers here in the winter, while we get snow 5 months a year, they forget easily how to drive or act in it.

We got an inch on the west side of CLE. East side got like 3. And they are supposed to get another 5 to 7 by tonight. Gotta love lake effect snow!

I am looking forward to downhill skiing this year though. With all the green leaves on the trees here, we might have some good snow this winter.

sales guy
11-12-2013, 08:38 AM

The economy got hit pretty good here in Central FL and we could use more tourism dollars so if you're looking for a warm place to ride this winter come on down. We have art museums, great restaurants, and miles and miles of bike lanes with an award-winning rails-to-trials path that is 40 miles long.

I used to live in Tampa. Now isn't a bad time to live there. Not a fan of the summer. I like the season change though. It's nice to have. Missed it when I lived in Tampa. And I am not a huge beach person. But I did like the bay walk and Ybor City. Cool place. And international mall. Citrus park mall was cool with the kids with the playground and carousel.

stien
11-12-2013, 08:45 AM
First snow here in new England as well. I'm buying a bike with more tire clearance!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

sg8357
11-12-2013, 08:47 AM

'cause Colnago doesn't make one of these ?
http://salsacycles.com/bikes/2014_mukluk_3

GregL
11-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Here in Siberacuse, the lake effect machine is starting up. Had the first measureable snow last week, and more flurries last night. No big deal for us, just break out the "winter rat" bike and winter shoes. As long as the roads aren't icy, the RAW (Ride All Winter) cyclists will be out year-round. When the roads are too snowy to ride, it usually means the nordic skiing is first rate. Fast forward to March, when a great weekend means nordic skiing one day and early season riding the next!

- Greg

teleguy57
11-12-2013, 08:57 AM
We have 1/2" on the ground and 20 degrees.

After the past few years with nice, warm autumns, this year we have had the opposite… :mad:

Actually, sort of like our Spring 2013.

Makes for a lower mileage year...

You must be south of me; we missed the snow in Appleton but my toes were pretty numb at the end of 2 hrs @ 28 degrees and 20-25mph winds yesterday, and it was 16 degrees when I went to the gym this a.m.

Actually, October was my second highest mileage month for this year, but that's probably more about my schedule than the weather. Still hoping to get in more outdoor riding yet this season before grabbing the mtn bike, tele skis and my classic skis (not a skater). And I've been tempted by the fat bike a friend may be selling -- tried it out and it was fun on dry trails.

572cv
11-12-2013, 09:00 AM
First snow to stick on the ground, in the 20's, cloudy. Not enough to really hamper the roads, though, should be dry enough by end of the day. Weather should be a little warmer later in the week.

On the other hand, the snow was a nice backdrop for the suddenly motivated crowd of migrating bluebirds this morning!

benb
11-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Once the ground starts to freeze up you don't have to worry about trails and there is lots of good riding on/off road. Perfect for a slower/more versatile bike that is setup better for bad weather.

And this is football season.. less people outside, everyone is inside stuffing their face in front of the tube. IMO it actually makes for better riding.

67-59
11-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Had our first measurable snow yesterday in SE Minnesota...and I took my first fall in several years. Roads were mostly dry by the time I went out, but I was swerving to avoid an icy spot ahead of me when my front wheel hit a crack. Down before I knew what was happening....

The bad news: A badly sprained left hand and wrist, a nice bruise on my left hip...and perhaps worst of all, the left knee of my Rapha winter tights is shredded.:eek: Also smacked my helmet on the ground pretty hard - it remained intact and I didn't suffer any effects but I've already ordered a new one (good timing for CC's helmet clearance!).

Fortunately, I'll probably only be out for a week or two, after which my winter miles will (as usual) depend on finding dry roads. The cold isn't an issue - I've lived in MN long enough to accumulate an ample supply of gear to endure the coldest of the cold...and this is shaping up to be a pretty cold fall and early winter.

spiderman
11-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Roads were clear enough to get out
On the fixie for the morning commute
In the above zero temps! 9 above!
To be honest, though...
Feels more like January than November!

Germany_chris
11-12-2013, 09:57 AM
We almost got snowed in on Brunner pass last year in my b-day in mid October. This year it's mid November and not a lick of snow maybe it payback for having spring in June

Sent from my Jeep

MattTuck
11-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Dear Specialized Allez, I know I've been ignoring you in favor of Mr. Colnago. Let's get reacquainted. Love, your owner.

Dear Mr. Owner,

I've had it with your double timing ways. Why don't you treat me like that Italian beauty, on the warm nice days, out so everybody can see you two together? I know what I am to you, your dirty little secret. You only ride me when its dark and no one will notice us together. Isn't there something more? You just bring me out when you want a wet and dirty ride with the possibility of rock salt getting in my bottom bracket?

Sincerely,

Ms. Allez

PS. I have pictures of our last ride, and I'll go public with them if you don't run away with me right now!.

BumbleBeeDave
11-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Hmmm . . . This doesn't look good.

BBD

Kirk Pacenti
11-12-2013, 10:32 AM
I am not into fat bikes myself, but if I lived where snow was an issue this might be a fun way to spend the winter months.

Cheers,
KP

David Kirk
11-12-2013, 10:43 AM
The other Kirk hit the nail on the head.

Fat bikes are just plain fun. Are they a substitute for a perfect rolling hills road ride on a 75° day? Nope. Are they fun in their own right? Yep. And do they make living in a place that gets snow more fun? Big time.

dave

merlinmurph
11-12-2013, 10:54 AM

It'll melt, anyway. When it's gets cold, though, I head into the woods with either the mt bike or the cross bike. The hardest part is getting dressed. When the snow actually sticks around, that's it for the trails.

Enjoy your (cold) ride.
Murph

Ken Robb
11-12-2013, 11:07 AM
we are expecting 78F at the coast and 86F 10 miles inland today and a bit warmer tomorrow. I can't ride in such brutal heat. :)

CNY rider
11-12-2013, 11:11 AM
We had a "flash freeze" style event last night.
Started snowing while above freezing, then rapidly dropped and kept snowing.
We had a nice ice layer then 1" of snow.
High for today looks to be around 27F so it may be a day or two for things to be safe on the road again.
I would say the nice, narrow tire, unfendered bikes are headed for the basement this afternoon and will be seen again around April.

TRACK
11-12-2013, 11:16 AM
nyc snowed a bit this morning.
im a bike mesenger usually on rainy/snowy days the veterans like us makes more money because the amateurs usually called in 'sick'. so more run for me the more honey i make.
SO. LET IS SNOW. LET IT SNOW. LET IT SNOW.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

azrider
11-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Gets chilly at night here this time of year....brrrrrr

oliver1850
11-12-2013, 11:19 AM
We got just a bit yesterday after having the first snow over 2 weeks ago. A bigger issue is the cold - it was 18 degrees when I went to bed, and only 26 just before noon. It will be over 50 on Saturday though, so I'm hoping for the first post harvest road ride. The gravel should be in pretty good shape.

choke
11-12-2013, 06:01 PM
Our first snow was around Sept 28th....about 5 inches. It's snowed twice more since then.

sparky33
11-12-2013, 08:36 PM
The dry fenderless year is ending. Winter road grime is here, and the Honjos are ready...I'm now just one derailleur cable short of some cold wet riding .
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/13/ugege4e9.jpg

Ralph
11-12-2013, 08:44 PM

I feel the same way about Central Florida, and we do have some easy hills. No better place to ride for the next 6 months. But I ride almost every day year around. Hot, cold, no matter.

RFC
11-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Gets chilly at night here this time of year....brrrrrr

Totally Brutal! This morning I had to find socks!

RFC
11-12-2013, 10:32 PM
Northeasterners, I feel your pain. But let me promise you that it is nothing compared to the northern Great Plains where I grew up. At the worst, a daily rise from 30 below to 15 below does not really make a difference.

Anarchist
11-12-2013, 11:43 PM
This morning on my ride to work it was raining.

Mid-day when I went for a walk it was bright and sunny.

This afternoon on the way home it was snowing.

Tomorrow should be fun!

BryanE
11-13-2013, 04:45 AM
Add another layer and ride.

spiderman
11-13-2013, 03:37 PM
The dry fenderless year is ending. Winter road grime is here, and the Honjos are ready...I'm now just one derailleur cable short of some cold wet riding .
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/13/ugege4e9.jpg

I have my terraplane set up just like it...
Haven't put the left bar end shifter
Or fd because it seems so unnecessary!

aramis
11-13-2013, 04:37 PM
I think it was 72 degrees today here in northern California (and I'm near the coast). It was a little colder for a few weeks in October but nothing too bad.

Went on the usually wed ride today in short sleeves and bib shorts and arm warmers.

It usually does rain and get colder though.

Hasn't rained all year except for one or two small showers. Not good for the water supply or plants or animals but makes for nice riding at least.. and we have lots and lots of climbing here (just riding from the front door).