PDA

View Full Version : Value Of A Nos Legend??? Urgent!

d_douglas
01-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Hi all - you might have noticed that I have been looking for a ti road frame recently. I came across one last year 5 blocks from my house here in Canada (that was weird) and had to pass, but just contacted the guy yesterday and he still has it, but is now thinking of keeping it. He asking what I was willing to pay, and I responded with his lowest offer last year, but I have a feeling that the stakes are higher because he doesn't need to sell it now.

Can anyone suggest what a fair asking price is for this bike? Remember that I am in Canada, so when he suggested $1550US last year, the US dollar was much stronger than the Canadian dollar, more like $2000CDN. Now the Canadian dollar is strong and the conversion of $1550US is more like $1750CDN.

That said, is he in the right ballpark? Am I being unreasonable to suggest $1550? It is a full ti Legend from 2002 I believe, standard geometry as far as I know, 58cm with a HT extension, 1.125" HT, fancy paint (red, and blue with a natural rear triangle) a silver King HS and a Full carbon uncut F3 fork. The original owner was in California, I believe, then he brought it up here and just has too many bikes, so was going ot turn it over for some money. It is mint, with nothing more than marks where he has thrown wheels underneath it. No BB, no post. mint.

I don't care for the paint, but I realize that somewhere along the line, someone paid and extra few hundred for it, so it will likely work its way into the price.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ITS WORTH, IN US$??

Thanks for your quick replies!

Ozz
01-17-2006, 11:05 AM
I think he's in the ballpark....I paid $2100 this past August for a 2004 model (frame, F2 fork, Chris King headset). It has the polish with matt decal finish.

I may have paid a bit on the high end, but the geometry was perfect for me.

I think if you can get it under $2000 US, and it is undamaged, it is a pretty good deal.

I've seen many Legends go for around $1500, but they have the 1" head tube.

BarryG
01-17-2006, 11:11 AM
You say :"NOS" - is it truly NEW old stock? If this is new with F3 fork, it's probably worth $2500. So if you can get it for $2000, it's an excellent deal.

DRZRM
01-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Hey Douglas,

As someone on a 57 Legend which I've been thinking about swapping with a 58-59 (it's a bit small and I think a bigger frame would suit me) I've been paying a lot of attention to these bikes in the last few months. They have sold used between ~$1,300-1,800 with very new (2004-5) asking well over $2,000. But the fact that this is new old stock with a F-3, I'd say that anything under $1,800 is a heck of a deal. I think he could easily get $2,000 on this site, and much more on ebay. Remeber that this bike has changed very little, if at all, since 2002. If you don't take it, PM me the guy's email. :D

Good luck, you picked the right frame.

Zach

dbrk
01-17-2006, 11:13 AM
If there is any rule of thumb, it's that titanium bikes retain more value than steel. My notion is that steel suffers a misperception of "use" while titanium, of course, never changes its properties. However, about half the retail is a good figure to consider. Bikes rarely keep more than half of their original cost, usually considerably less, and the higher end suffer more than others, at least that is my experience.

dbrk

Len J
01-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Hey Douglas,

As someone on a 57 Legend which I've been thinking about swapping with a 58-59 (it's a bit small and I think a bigger frame would suit me) I've been paying a lot of attention to these bikes in the last few months. They have sold used between ~$1,300-1,800 with very new (2004-5) asking well over $2,000. But the fact that this is new old stock with a F-3, I'd say that anything under $1,800 is a heck of a deal. I think he could easily get $2,000 on this site, and much more on ebay. Remeber that this bike has changed very little, if at all, since 2002. If you don't take it, PM me the guy's email. :D

Good luck, you picked the right frame.

Zach

He should get over $1,800 US if he is a patient seller.

Len

SPOKE
01-17-2006, 11:45 AM
if it's an 02' model and is being supplied with an F3 then i'm pretty certain that the fork won't work. the geometry of the fork crown is a bit different than the ozou style f2 forks. the dimension from the center line of the brake bolt hole to the top of the crown race is a taller dimension than the older F2 forks. compensation is made on the frame with a shorter HT on the 05' models.

offer the $1550 for the frame and Ozou Pro fork and you'll be set.

best of luck!

d_douglas
01-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Your fork comments lead me to wonder whether I named the correct fork. When I saw it last year, the headset and fork were installed and spun perfectly, so I assume that they work perfectly. This guy is totally legitimate, so I am sure that they're compatible.

Sounds like $1550US would be a great deal. Now I hope that he doesn't check this website!! I will let you know what happens...

SPOKE
01-17-2006, 12:44 PM
of making the fork fit an spin when installed. the F# fork will make the front end of the bik sit taller which messes up the steering geometry!!

be safe and verify the fork style