PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles area riders:

RABikes2
01-17-2006, 09:07 AM
A good friend moved to LA a few months ago. Ray bought a new Trek 2100 last year from the shop and is discovering the world of cycling. He does have some miles under him (so he's not totally a newbie), but in the new location (LA) he is unfamiliar with safe bike routes and rides. He's at a new job and doesn't know any cyclists in LA, but in his e-mail stated that he could ride weekends and maybe on a weekday a.m. if he could find somebody to ride with very early. Would anybody be interested in inviting him out on a ride? :no: :no: boys and girls, not a hammerfest, but a ride; show him a bike route, give him some tips on different routes that are bike friendly, local bike shop and bike club information. I would think (I don't know how much he's been riding since he moved), he's very capable (depending on the terrain) of staying with a pace of 15-17 mph. He wants to ride and needs some guidance and direction. If anybody would be interested in helping Ray out, please PM me and I'll send the contact information. I asked Ray for a location description of where he's living:

"I live in Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley or often referred to as “The Valley”. I live in Toluca Lake which is next door to Burbank, Studio City, North Hollywood – all of which are within 5 minutes of me. I'm also close to Glendale – about 10 minutes down the freeway and Hollywood is about 15 minutes over the hill. Landmarks: Universal Studios, NBC Studios, Disney, ABC, Warner Brothers."

Thanks very much :) . I know Ray will appreciate any assistance given.
RA :banana:

SoCalSteve
01-17-2006, 10:19 AM
Being a cycling coach in Los Angeles, I have many route maps that I'd be happy to share with your friend...

I do not have the time to ride with your friend though.

Please send me an email or a PM and I'd be happy to forward them on to you or him.

Thanks,

Steve

CalfeeFly
01-17-2006, 11:11 AM
No direct experience again BUT...somebody from the Calfee forum that I talked to said it wasn't very safe even on bike lanes...she was sent to hospital twice. :(

BUT I talked to a Shimano employee that lives near the Queen and he loves it...rides to work everyday...and said it is hard to find a street/road in Orange County without a bike lane.

Last...I saw Chasing Lance as a repeat on some channel last week and it was when George was doing Paris Roubaix and he was training here. He was staying in a secret location in Malibu and picking routes from a map up in the mountains to a great extent to along the beaches. He loved the variety of terrain, beauty of locales and so forth. HOWEVER he does ride with a car behind him. HOWEVER I read once from someone riding with him in TX that a redneck didn't realize the support car and passed it and buzzed Lance yelling at him AND then realizing who he was and going back to say sorry. Being Lance does have some fringe benefits. :banana:

SoCalSteve
01-17-2006, 12:15 PM
No direct experience again BUT...somebody from the Calfee forum that I talked to said it wasn't very safe even on bike lanes...she was sent to hospital twice. :(

BUT I talked to a Shimano employee that lives near the Queen and he loves it...rides to work everyday...and said it is hard to find a street/road in Orange County without a bike lane.

Last...I saw Chasing Lance as a repeat on some channel last week and it was when George was doing Paris Roubaix and he was training here. He was staying in a secret location in Malibu and picking routes from a map up in the mountains to a great extent to along the beaches. He loved the variety of terrain, beauty of locales and so forth. HOWEVER he does ride with a car behind him. HOWEVER I read once from someone riding with him in TX that a redneck didn't realize the support car and passed it and buzzed Lance yelling at him AND then realizing who he was and going back to say sorry. Being Lance does have some fringe benefits. :banana:

I've ridden literally 1,000's of miles in and around the Los Angeles area with nary a close call.

The route maps that I have take safety into consideraation.

Thanks,

Steve

Don49
01-17-2006, 12:35 PM
If he lives in the "Valley" the best way to start is show up for a ride with the San Fernando Valley Bike Club http://www.sfvbc.org/. There's also a meeting coming up tomorrow evening, Wednesday. Also in his area would be the LA Wheelmen http://lawheelmen.org/. There's lots of great riding near the SF Valley.

Don

"I live in Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley or often referred to as “The Valley”. I live in Toluca Lake which is next door to Burbank, Studio City, North Hollywood – all of which are within 5 minutes of me. I'm also close to Glendale – about 10 minutes down the freeway and Hollywood is about 15 minutes over the hill. Landmarks: Universal Studios, NBC Studios, Disney, ABC, Warner Brothers."

Thanks very much :) . I know Ray will appreciate any assistance given.

SoCalSteve
01-17-2006, 12:49 PM
are members of the LA Wheelman...

When we are in the mood to do a "social" ride, we hook up with them at the "Corner Ride" Sunday's at 9:00 AM.

Nice group of people, not too fast and always find fun routes. And, they seem to stop at every "nice" public restroom in LA.

Sunday mornings, 9:00 AM...Corner of Olympic and Le Doux (1 block west of La Cienaga).

Steve

RABikes2
01-18-2006, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the great suggestions! I'll pass them on to Ray; I know he will appreciate them. Serotta forum members always impress me with how you go out of your way to be helpful. I knew you'd come through on this! :D