PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Day

gdw
11-11-2013, 11:01 AM
To all who have served or are currently in the military, Thank you.

PaMtbRider
11-11-2013, 11:58 AM
From one veteran to another, thank you for serving your country.

Germany_chris
11-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Happy Vets day!! All of you

Bruce K
11-11-2013, 12:07 PM
A day to take a moment and reflect on the sacrifices made by many to benefit all if us.

BK

Fishbike
11-11-2013, 12:10 PM
A day to take a moment and reflect on the sacrifices made by many to benefit all if us.

BK

Yes, and may we acknowledge and meet their needs.

AngryScientist
11-11-2013, 12:14 PM
I'm home today, mostly nursing a lingering cold.

watching a special documentary on Vietnam. Incredible what many of these kids had to go through.

I raise my glass to all of the men and women who have seen combat. you have my full respect.

572cv
11-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Happy to see the salute, happy to join in. Thank you to all the vets and all who gave it all for our country.

My great grandfather, John Weeks, Secretary of War, presided over the initiation of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and led to the ceremony date being on Armistice Day. Here he is placing a wreath with his President, Calvin Coolidge:

dsimon
11-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Thank you especially DaveThompson I know hes a OLD Vet

malcolm
11-11-2013, 04:16 PM
cool story from England.
The WW2 guys are thinning out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24889924

Germany_chris
11-11-2013, 04:18 PM
Thank you especially DaveThompson I know hes a OLD Vet

I never looked that happy getting ready to jump, I was always to scared

gasman
11-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Thanks to all of you

dsimon
11-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Hmm they got it before we took off

pinkshogun
11-11-2013, 05:01 PM
my father's (Korea/Marine) main concern was the free meal at Applebees that all veterans get today. Semper Fi

Bruce K
11-11-2013, 05:08 PM
My dad was an officer in a "Red Ball" unit. Landed on D plus 4.

His stories were interesting but one of his golfing pals was an officer in the 101st Airborne in a glider unit on D Day. Not Easy Company but pretty much the same story including being at Bastogne. Got caught behind enemy lines while making the rounds of the machine gun emplacements in a snowstorm but managed to scramble his way back after some "interesting" encounters.

Sad that these guys are almost all gone.

BK

Point Grey
11-11-2013, 05:22 PM
In Flanders Field

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

John McCrae

tiretrax
11-11-2013, 05:30 PM
Happy to see the salute, happy to join in. Thank you to all the vets and all who gave it all for our country.

My great grandfather, John Weeks, Secretary of War, presided over the initiation of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and led to the ceremony date being on Armistice Day. Here he is placing a wreath with his President, Calvin Coolidge:

Very cool. On which side of Coolidge is he standing?

Thank you, veterans, for your service, and to those (and their families) who didn't make it back, for your sacrifice.

572cv
11-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Very cool. On which side of Coolidge is he standing?

Thank you, veterans, for your service, and to those (and their families) who didn't make it back, for your sacrifice.

Thanks for the question! JWW is to the left of CC. My most interesting ancestor, perhaps. As a Congressman, he wrote the act that created the National Forest System. And, in the context of this thread, he was a Navy man, a grad of Annapolis, and a vet of the Spanish American War.

thwart
11-11-2013, 07:53 PM
There's a great series of vet's stories in the NYT. Not many could read through this piece without a moist eye.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/11/10/lives-during-wartime-vol4/?hp&rref=opinion&_r=0

MattTuck
11-12-2013, 05:24 PM
http://www.wimp.com/homelesstransformation/

Hope this is ok to post here. Many thanks to all the veterans who have served. Many find their way back into society as functioning members after they leave the service, some have a harder time reintegrating because of the things they experienced as soldiers.

BryanE
11-12-2013, 05:52 PM
My father said thank you.

krhea
11-12-2013, 07:34 PM
A photo from my Veterans Day ride:

http://flic.kr/p/ht17Qt