PDA

View Full Version : Kind of OT...a list of bike and component companies that are gone

sales guy
11-11-2013, 07:51 AM
Checking out the eBay vintage section has me sad. All the companies that are gone or are in a different ownership or design/style role now. Some great companies who made amazingly cool and light stuff back in the day. These are either totally gone or different owners and the companies are barely recognizable. Some of these like pulstar were super innovative to the point everyone has a straight pull hub now.

The list is what popped into my head. Curious what other ones you guys can think of. Just copy and add to the bottom.

Pulstar
Kooka
Cook bros
Precision billet
Rock Shox
Manitou
Gary fisher
Gt
Barracuda
Girvin/ProFlex
Titec
Zipp
Avid
Ringle
Wolber
Suntour
Ibis
Titus
Cannon dale
Sweet wings
Coda
Syncros
Tioga
Onza
T gear
Macmahon racing
Real design
Litespeed
Merlin
Answer
Felt
Wasatch
Machine tech
Kestrel
Blue
Mad fiber
Serotta
Atak
Topline
Grafton
Hershey racing
Gorilla billet
Scott
Hoshi

oldpotatoe
11-11-2013, 08:11 AM
Checking out the eBay vintage section has me sad. All the companies that are gone or are in a different ownership or design/style role now. Some great companies who made amazingly cool and light stuff back in the day. These are either totally gone or different owners and the companies are barely recognizable. Some of these like pulstar were super innovative to the point everyone has a straight pull hub now.

The list is what popped into my head. Curious what other ones you guys can think of. Just copy and add to the bottom.

Pulstar
Kooka
Cook bros
Precision billet
Rock Shox
Manitou
Gary fisher
Gt
Barracuda
Girvin/ProFlex
Titec
Zipp
Avid
Ringle
Wolber
Suntour
Ibis
Titus
Cannon dale
Sweet wings
Coda
Syncros
Tioga
Onza
T gear
Macmahon racing
Real design
Litespeed
Merlin
Answer
Felt
Wasatch
Machine tech
Kestrel
Blue
Mad fiber
Serotta
Atak
Topline
Grafton
Hershey racing
Gorilla billet
Scott
Hoshi

Merckx
Salsa

earlfoss
11-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Nuke Proof should be in there too?

Sachs New Success components too?

sales guy
11-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Merckx
Salsa

Yeah, forgot them. Especially salsa when he made steel frames like the ala carte with the hand painted peppers on it. Miss those!

More popped in there

Icon
Bontrager
LeMond
Klein
NukeProof
Sachs
Regina

pbarry
11-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Galli
Ofmega
Edco
Roval
Super Champion
Fiamme
Wolber
Sun
Weinmann
Barum
Clement

Roger M
11-11-2013, 08:53 AM
AMP Research
Girvin

sales guy
11-11-2013, 08:59 AM
I had a couple of those, but good additions. Especially Amp Research. We wouldn't have most suspension designs without Horst Leitner!

I believe Weinmann is still the same owners though.

Fat chance/Chris chance
IF
Schwinn

echelon_john
11-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Holdsworth

fuzzalow
11-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Zeus aka Spain's Campagnolo

pbarry
11-11-2013, 09:09 AM
I had a couple of those, but good additions. Especially Amp Research. We wouldn't have most suspension designs without Horst Leitner!

With a generous nod to Mert Lawwill...

I believe Weinmann is still the same owners though.

Good to know!

pinkshogun
11-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Witcomb just closed its doors in the last few years. noted and respected frame builders even more of a tragedy than component makers

sales guy
11-11-2013, 09:17 AM
[QUOTE=pbarry;1450257]With a generous nod to Mert Lawwill...

Oh, absolutely!

In fact that some others to add

Noleen suspension
Lawwill forks
Roc forks
Reynolds-on its third owners
LEW
Xing-Lews first company
Delta 7-now it's Kovit cycles
J disc

sales guy
11-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Witcomb just closed its doors in the last few years. noted and respected frame builders even more of a tragedy than component makers

This list is for both! So good to add on that one.

Robinson
Hutch
Spin wheels
Powerlight
Masi
Gazelle
Mondonico
Torelli
Bianchi---A HUGE one!

God there's a ton of them!

merckx
11-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Everst
Fiamme
Spidel
Mafac
Clement--the real one
Duegi
Avocet
Super Champion
Gitane
Pivo
MaxiCar
Regina

pbarry
11-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Torelli is still around--aren't they an importing/marketing company? Not sure they ever made anything.

Bullseye, but it looks like the original owner is bringing the company back?

enr1co
11-11-2013, 09:32 AM
-Giro ( not sure if this qualifies for the list, as I think Jim Gentes is still "consulting"?)

pbarry
11-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Matthauser
CLB
GB
Vitus(!)

laupsi
11-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Hollands Cycles, steel frames (it may just be that good old John decided to retire)

enr1co
11-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Bontrager
LeMond
Klein

K. Bontrager made some cool mt bike frames prior to the brand becoming
a generic Trek accessories brand.

For me, all of the brands listed became less desireable once Trek touched them.

sales guy
11-11-2013, 09:53 AM
Torelli is still around--aren't they an importing/marketing company? Not sure they ever made anything.

The post was about closed or under new ownership. Torelli fits that as bill doesn't own it.

Yeah, add bullseye
And kingsbury

sales guy
11-11-2013, 09:54 AM
K. Bontrager made some cool mt bike frames prior to the brand becoming
a generic Trek accessories brand.

For me, all of the brands listed became less desireable once Trek touched them.

Absolutely agreed!!!

And icon before trek bought them made just stupid light and cool stuff.

sales guy
11-11-2013, 09:55 AM
-Giro ( not sure if this qualifies for the list, as I think Jim Gentes is still "consulting"?)

Giro would qualify since Jim doesn't own it anymore.
Same with vista light and Blackburn.

bikeridah
11-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Haven't seen Peugeot listed.

pbarry
11-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Motobecane
Raleigh

sales guy
11-11-2013, 10:16 AM

Also forgot Bridgestone
TVT
Alan
Roark
Lotus sports
Cheetah
Soft ride
Breezer
Voodoo
Parkpre
Diamond back
Raleigh
Oval
Alpha q
Control tech

enr1co
11-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Giro would qualify since Jim doesn't own it anymore.
Same with vista light and Blackburn.

Wow, flashback- I remember when Jim was riding/racing with us a San Jose BC member. Saw his lycra covered "prolight" helmet during one of our club road races and thought it was so cool compared to my heavy Bell V 1 pro :cool:

sales guy
11-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Scary fast rocket parts
American Classic-technically the first owner is the current but there was another between it.
Cinelli
Ttt
Columbus-owned along with ttt and cinelli by someone other than the original owners-new owners for some time Groupo SpA
Wheelsmith
Race face
Vision tech-started by a guy named peter.
Miyata
Fuji
Oakley-they did make grips at one point.
Cervelo

enr1co
11-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Wheelsmith

... and the shop in Palo Alto was very cool.

cachagua
11-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Did we say Hi-E?

(Almost as tragic to me (almost) are the outfits that are still doing business, maybe even still run by the same people, but making stuff that entirely lacks the creativity and inspiration that characterized their first work. But that should probably be a thread of its own.)

gdw
11-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Yeti
Vassago
Maverick
Boulder Bicycles
Whiskey Goat

sales guy
11-11-2013, 11:13 AM
... and the shop in Palo Alto was very cool.

Not owned by Ric so it counts.

Great listings guys. Can't believe how many there are honestly. And yeah, it's sad who is still out there making absolute crap.

Someone we need to add is Colnago. He doesn't own it 100% anymore. So it counts.

palincss
11-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Mafac
Huret
Simplex

pbarry
11-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Mountain Goat
Moots
Morgul Bismark

Frankwurst
11-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Weyless :beer:

pbarry
11-11-2013, 11:20 AM

Great listings guys. Can't believe how many there are honestly. And yeah, it's sad who is still out there making absolute crap.

Someone we need to add is Colnago. He doesn't own it 100% anymore. So it counts.

Ok, then Specialized makes the list.

pbarry
11-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Weyless :beer:

Those were great products. I guess Kreitler is in too.

fiamme red
11-11-2013, 11:28 AM
The list of bike and component companies that are still around would be much shorter. :)

bfd
11-11-2013, 11:29 AM
I might have missed it, but I didn't see the following companies:

Hi-E
SEROTTA
BLUE
MAD FIBER

:eek::banana::butt::mad:

gasman
11-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Lambert- which deserved to go out of business

sales guy
11-11-2013, 11:35 AM
I might have missed it, but I didn't see the following companies:

Hi-E
SEROTTA
BLUE
MAD FIBER

:eek::banana::butt::mad:

In the first list

sales guy
11-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Ok, then Specialized makes the list.

Really? I thought Sinyard always owned it? Or are you talking now since it is part Merida? Then yes, it counts. Add it on there boys.

sales guy
11-11-2013, 11:37 AM
The list of bike and component companies that are still around would be much shorter. :)

AGREED!

But this is more fun.

ultraman6970
11-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Is this a list of brands gone or brands that are still in the market with owners different than the original ones? because pretty much all the brands are parts of corporations now a days. Asking too because a lot of brands named are still in business like for example alan, miyata and others.

Can I add a few?
Brancale
Gazelle
RIH
Saavedra (campagnolo knock off, tools and components)
Criterium (argentinian tubulars factory, better than vittorias IMO)
Alvarez (Argentinian tibulars, best tubulars I ever used)
Equus (colombian high end frames manufacturer, have seen a few at ebay)

enr1co
11-11-2013, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the info. Not familiar with the owneship details so looked it up on
the ever-so-reliable web :rolleyes:

So is this wikipedia bit correct? Colnago is part owned by a Taiwanese company named "A-Team" ?

In March, 2005, Colnago announced that they were joining the Taiwanese based A-Team, whose members include Giant, Merida and SRAM—the first Italian manufacturer to do so, to produce mid-ranged bicycle models for the Japanese and European markets.[8]

Beginning in 2006, Colnago sourced the Primavera and the Arte from Giant Bicycles of Taiwan. Both received favorable reviews, although some thought the shift of manufacturing out of Italy was a matter of some regret.

There was some controversy in 2006 over whether Giant would be producing additional models, including carbon frame models, for Colnago. According to statements by Ernesto Colnago, founder and president of Colnago, this was not the case:

"For the 2006 model year, Colnago will be sourcing two entry-level aluminum road bike models from Giant, made to Colnago's spec and frame geometry and for sales in Europe and Asia only. All other Colnago bicycles are assembled in Italy. No Colnago carbon fiber frames are made at Giant and none will be, as Mr. Colnago has a long-term sourcing agreement in place with ATR for carbon fiber bicycle frames."[9]
Despite this denial, since 2007 Colnago's carbon monocoque CLX frame has been manufactured in Taiwan.[10] In 2008, a second Colnago carbon fiber model, the CX-1 was also sourced in Taiwan.

The top of the line Colnago frame, the C59, as well as the Master, and the now discontinued C50, Power Extreme, Extreme C are (or were) manufactured and painted in Italy.[11] In a series of public statements, Colnago has insisted that all designs originate with the Italian design team, claiming that the essence of what makes a Colnago is design. The mid-range carbon offerings are currently being sourced from Taiwan, (as are many bicycle manufacturers' offerings), and as of 2011, the M10 (which stands second in the model lineup) is made in Taiwan and assembled and painted in Italy, while the CX-1 is completely made in Taiwan.

sales guy
11-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the info. Not familiar with the owneship details so looked it up on
the ever-so-reliable web :rolleyes:

So is this wikipedia bit correct? Colnago is part owned by a Taiwanese company named "A-Team" ?

In March, 2005, Colnago announced that they were joining the Taiwanese based A-Team, whose members include Giant, Merida and SRAM—the first Italian manufacturer to do so, to produce mid-ranged bicycle models for the Japanese and European markets.[8]

Beginning in 2006, Colnago sourced the Primavera and the Arte from Giant Bicycles of Taiwan. Both received favorable reviews, although some thought the shift of manufacturing out of Italy was a matter of some regret.

There was some controversy in 2006 over whether Giant would be producing additional models, including carbon frame models, for Colnago. According to statements by Ernesto Colnago, founder and president of Colnago, this was not the case:

"For the 2006 model year, Colnago will be sourcing two entry-level aluminum road bike models from Giant, made to Colnago's spec and frame geometry and for sales in Europe and Asia only. All other Colnago bicycles are assembled in Italy. No Colnago carbon fiber frames are made at Giant and none will be, as Mr. Colnago has a long-term sourcing agreement in place with ATR for carbon fiber bicycle frames."[9]
Despite this denial, since 2007 Colnago's carbon monocoque CLX frame has been manufactured in Taiwan.[10] In 2008, a second Colnago carbon fiber model, the CX-1 was also sourced in Taiwan.

The top of the line Colnago frame, the C59, as well as the Master, and the now discontinued C50, Power Extreme, Extreme C are (or were) manufactured and painted in Italy.[11] In a series of public statements, Colnago has insisted that all designs originate with the Italian design team, claiming that the essence of what makes a Colnago is design. The mid-range carbon offerings are currently being sourced from Taiwan, (as are many bicycle manufacturers' offerings), and as of 2011, the M10 (which stands second in the model lineup) is made in Taiwan and assembled and painted in Italy, while the CX-1 is completely made in Taiwan.

It's pretty close. Certain pieces are off. But yes, Colnago is not 100% owned by Ernesto anymore.

sales guy
11-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Is this a list of brands gone or brands that are still in the market with owners different than the original ones? because pretty much all the brands are parts of corporations now a days. Asking too because a lot of brands named are still in business like for example alan, miyata and others.

Can I add a few?
Brancale
Gazelle
RIH
Saavedra (campagnolo knock off, tools and components)
Criterium (argentinian tubulars factory, better than vittorias IMO)
Alvarez (Argentinian tibulars, best tubulars I ever used)
Equus (colombian high end frames manufacturer, have seen a few at ebay)

It was a list of component and bike companies that are gone completely or now owned by someone other than the original owners 100%.
Yes, there are a ton owned by others or corporations, but look at trek and hed, both still owned and run by the founders.
They may have a board or something, but the owners never changed. Versus zipp- owned by SRAM now. Same as rock shox and avid.

carpediemracing
11-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Kingsbury

sales guy
11-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Kingsbury

Mentioned. Even though They stole everything idea and design wise from Shook/American Classic I still included them.

If you guys don't know the story I will tell it.

RedRider
11-11-2013, 12:47 PM
CIOCC not sure if this was previously mentioned

sales guy
11-11-2013, 12:50 PM
CIOCC not sure if this was previously mentioned

It wasn't. And debarnardni and Concorde wasn't either. Also principia should be as well

fiamme red
11-11-2013, 12:54 PM
CIOCC not sure if this was previously mentionedStill exists, still made in Italy.

buddybikes
11-11-2013, 01:12 PM
doubt many (or any) would know of this name: Tanguy Cycles, Sommerville MA.

Chris Chance took over from that shop.

Also, is Modolo still around, have a set of gold brakes from 1983 in the basement.

biker72
11-11-2013, 01:18 PM

Felt

When did Felt go out of business??
We're still stocking and selling their bikes.

carpediemracing
11-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Mentioned. Even though They stole everything idea and design wise from Shook/American Classic I still included them.

Oops.

I always wondered why the two were so similar. No one would tell me the straight story but mentioned something about "they used to be partners in (whatever company)".

sales guy
11-11-2013, 01:27 PM
When did Felt go out of business??
We're still stocking and selling their bikes.

I'm talking about the original Felt frames made in the 90's. Which was started by felt and then sold to and were being made thru Answer Manitou and made by Easton. Felt dropped out of the USA for awhile and came back as a totally different company.

sales guy
11-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Still exists, still made in Italy.

I thought and had heard it was a different owner?

sales guy
11-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Oops.

I always wondered why the two were so similar. No one would tell me the straight story but mentioned something about "they used to be partners in (whatever company)".

Ok, so here's the story....shook owned American classic and his barn burned down(used to be the headquarters and workshop). So he contracted Kingsbury to make the products in his machine shop. Well, a year goes by and Alan is making the Kingsbury brand components. All hell broke loose and Kingsbury was sued, bill found a new machine shop to make the stuff and that was Suburban Machine who eventually bought American classic before shook started shook designs in the early 2000's and forced them into giving back American classic. There are more details to the story. But that's the short version.
Alan is still in Ohio. Still owes money to Bill. And last I head, he was considering making bike parts again!

Ahneida Ride
11-11-2013, 01:51 PM
And yeah, it's sad who is still out there making absolute crap.

I ain't

ain't gone

ain't making crap wrap

Ahneida Ride
11-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Mariposa

http://bicyclespecialties.blogspot.com/2007/12/letter-from-mike-barry.html

oliver1850
11-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Also, is Modolo still around, have a set of gold brakes from 1983 in the basement.

Modolo was owned by Sachs, so got absorbed into SRAM.

Bruce in VA
11-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Berec

Not exclusively a bicycle or bike parts company, but I carried Berec lights on my bike tour in 1979.

ultraman6970
11-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Modolo is sram? Thought some asian bought the name and is producing stuff with it.

sales guy
11-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Modolo is sram? Thought some asian bought the name and is producing stuff with it.

You are correct sir, Not owned by SRAM, but not original owners. So they should be included.

And for that matter, technically Mavic as they are owned by Amer Sports and have been for awhile.

oliver1850
11-11-2013, 03:00 PM
According to a Bicycle Guide article on the New Success 8 speed group, Sachs owned Modolo at the time (1990ish but I can look it up). Perhaps Sachs sold the name off before the SRAM buyout. I haven't seen anything Modolo branded since the 1990s.

RedRider
11-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Still exists, still made in Italy.

The CIOCC frames the rep showed me were all carbon and molded in Asia. Pelizzoli is still making beautiful frames but not under the CIOCC name.

macaroon
11-11-2013, 03:25 PM
I havent seen anyone mention Schwinn or Klein yet - both made some scorching bikes!

And one for the mountain bikers - Balfa

sales guy
11-11-2013, 03:33 PM
I havent seen anyone mention Schwinn or Klein yet - both made some scorching bikes!

And one for the mountain bikers - Balfa

Schwinn and Klein were mentioned by me.

biker72
11-11-2013, 03:50 PM
I'm talking about the original Felt frames made in the 90's. Which was started by felt and then sold to and were being made thru Answer Manitou and made by Easton. Felt dropped out of the USA for awhile and came back as a totally different company.

Thanks for the clarification.

pinkshogun
11-11-2013, 04:41 PM
is Presto still in the biz of making fine Dutch bikes?

earlfoss
11-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Not sure if the scale of mfg warrants putting Croll and Appel bikes on the list but they are beauts!

pbarry
11-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Great thread. Suggestions for a master list:

1)Companies that made great stuff and are gone forever.

2)Companies with subsequent owners who've continued the quality and product line of the founder(s), like I.F.

3)Companies with subsequent owners who took the business in a different direction, and the products now bear little resemblance to the originals, like Bontrager.

ultraman6970
11-11-2013, 04:45 PM
They are still in bussiness... stems, handlebars, wheelsets and the famous modolo morphos brifter, no clue if modolo downtube shifters are still being produced because arent in their website but they still are showing up NIB at ebay.

According to a Bicycle Guide article on the New Success 8 speed group, Sachs owned Modolo at the time (1990ish but I can look it up). Perhaps Sachs sold the name off before the SRAM buyout. I haven't seen anything Modolo branded since the 1990s.

pbarry
11-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Ultraman beat me to it.. :beer:

PacNW2Ford
11-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Such animals I actually own:

Chehalis Klein
Petaluma Salsa stems
Waterford Schwinn
Weinmann-Bontrager rims (daily double?)
Somerville Fat City
Syncros
Ringle
Avocet
SRP bolts

On a related note, stuff I have bought with twenty years in between:

White Industries
Chris King
Selle Italia
Continental
Shimano

Might be more...

cmbicycles
11-11-2013, 08:12 PM

I have a kingsbury ti post. I had it a while and decided to look them up, everything, and I mean everything in their catalogue was identical to Am Classic, surprised they didn't have AC logos in their catalogue.

Matt-H
11-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Dangerboy.

sales guy
11-11-2013, 08:46 PM
I forgot Fiber Flight spokes. Who remembers those?

And SRP bolt kits. Those were the ···· back in the day!

m_sasso
11-11-2013, 08:49 PM
No love for Suntour!!!

Hawker
11-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Not sure I've seen Weyless mentioned. Am I really that old?

choke
11-11-2013, 09:40 PM
FiR
Atom

ITM maybe? They used to be Italmanubri but now they are ITM Bike Components.

ultraman6970
11-12-2013, 12:04 AM
Hmm.. titan??

cilo?

hmm.. that american company that made carbon frames with steel lugset???

And what about the english company that made frames of magnesium?

m_sasso
11-12-2013, 12:28 AM
Are you thinking of Teledyne?

pbarry
11-12-2013, 01:00 AM
Kirk Precision, 1987.

sales guy
11-12-2013, 05:34 AM
Also forgot the Arizona company that sold carbon tubes and alloy lugs to consumers to glue up their own frames. It was like AzTech or something.

Anyone remember them?

Weyless was mentioned.

But Ross, Murray, AMF and Brunswick wasn't. Four biggies back in the day

Veloo
11-12-2013, 06:16 AM
Mountain Cycle.

I used to own the MOHO road.

buddybikes
11-12-2013, 06:34 AM
Belgium made (or France made) Flandria they were a big sponsor in early 70s including Eddy

sales guy
11-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Mountain Cycle.

I used to own the MOHO road.

Mountain cycle the name is now owned by Kinesis and they are supposedly going to be doing bikes again.

indyrider
11-12-2013, 08:23 AM
Gaansari

sales guy
11-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Yep, Gary's bikes are no more. He was a few years ahead of the trend.

On that note, another southwest ohio brand, Airborne. Original owner supposedly has the name back now from Huffy. So airborne qualifies as a retread.

oldpotatoe
11-12-2013, 09:32 AM

Antonio MONDONICO made Masi, Mondonico and higher end Torellis. Masi went away when the licensing $ got too high. Antonio retired and Bill McGann sold...Mondonicos and Torellis still made in Italy, but unknown builder, Not Antonio's son(last heart was part of the Giro, the race company), steel ones, not sure about aluminum or carbon, if they still sell those.

Imports a lot of stuff, some made in Europe, a lot made in Asia.

Not really the Ital-Centric place it was under Bill.

Ahneida Ride
11-12-2013, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=pbarry;1450545]Great thread. Suggestions for a master list:

1)Companies that made great stuff and are gone forever.

/[QUOTE]

TA Zephyr Crank ...... DUH ! :eek:

sales guy
11-12-2013, 10:08 AM
I'm working on a master list.

Companies gone forever
Companies gone but back under new ownership making the same products
Companies gone but back in name only.

sales guy
11-12-2013, 11:32 AM
I forgot Isaac bikes

Don49
11-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Breeze and Angell of Hite-Rite fame

sales guy
11-12-2013, 11:56 AM
And beyond fabrications. Maker of the first beryllium bike frame. Retail....60000!!!!

Hawker
11-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Anyone remember the Alenax bicycle? It's corporate offices in the U.S. were in my hometown of Rochester, NY. I ended up meeting the inventor and the managers of the company, which at the time (1985) included a high level executive that had come over from Raleigh. I had a chance to ride the bike and invest in the company. Thankfully, I did not...but certainly gave it some thought. The gist of it was that any pedal motion past one and five (on a clock face) was wasted motion and the use of these levers always insured you were exerting maximum force. Sounds good...but didn't pan out.

This company spent a lot of money going to Interbike for several years, setting up dealers around the country etc. I had even heard that the U.S. national team coaches had looked at the bike. Just another piece of interesting cycling history.

http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2012/12/alenax-ultimate-vintage-freak-bike.html

binxnyrwarrsoul
11-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Araya.

OperaLover
11-13-2013, 06:06 PM
3Rensho

Miyata is still around; same ownership but no export to the U.S.

http://www.miyatabike.com/project/japon/en_intention.html

Mr. Tohyama looks like he still kicks @ss! And they are still building with STEEL! I want one!

http://www.miyatabike.com/project/japon/en_index_japon.html

bfd
11-13-2013, 06:43 PM
Snap-On! Back in the 90s, they came out with a set of bicycle tools called Wrench Force. Didn't sell and SO was out of the bicycle tool business within a couple of years.

You can still find remnants on ebay....Good Luck!

:mad::eek::butt:

Steevo
11-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Dia Compe
Bellweather
SR
Universal
GB
Kabuki

pbarry
11-13-2013, 07:30 PM
And beyond fabrications. Maker of the first beryllium bike frame. Retail....60000!!!!

Had dinner with Fred of AMB and Jeff of SRP at the 1993 Interbike. The conversation was all about Boone, who had started making Ti parts, and the beryllium frame. Ah, the good old days in the bike biz.

From Mombat:

-1993- Models are listed as the new M-15 (15" stays?) frame for $720, M-16 or Comp Lite frame @ $925 and the new Comp Lite Beryllium for the astonishing sum of $26,000.The Beryllium bike was made with Beryllium tubing (top, seat, down, seat stays, chain stays) bonded into aluminum lugs. The bike was developed with Electrofusion Corp. in Fremont California. Much of the labor was donated by the company since there was some spare time due to the decline in Cold War business for the company. Beryllium's atomic number is 4 just after Hydrogen, Helium and Lithium but the specific modulus (stiffness to density ratio) is seven times better than steel, titanium or aluminum, which are all essentially equal. The first frame was overbuilt and weighed 2.5 pounds. Of that, the Beryllium tubing was one pound (including one ounce chain stays), 1.25 pounds of aluminum lugs and 4 ounces of adhesive.

Walter
11-13-2013, 07:46 PM
[QUOTE=pbarry;1450257]With a generous nod to Mert Lawwill...

Oh, absolutely!

In fact that some others to add

Noleen suspension
Lawwill forks
Roc forks
Reynolds-on its third owners
LEW
Xing-Lews first company
Delta 7-now it's Kovit cycles
J disc

I think Noleen is still with us...Clark Jones back at the helm and it is called Noleen J6.

This is a depressing thread...so many companies have left the house.

pbarry
11-13-2013, 08:11 PM
[QUOTE=sales guy;1450262]

I think Noleen is still with us...Clark Jones back at the helm and it is called Noleen J6.

This is a depressing thread...so many companies have left the house.

Definitely. We had more choices 10, 20, 30 years ago.

cw05
11-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Absolutely agreed!!!

And icon before trek bought them made just stupid light and cool stuff.

Agreed, all the cool kids in upstate SC near Greenville where they were based had their stuff before Trek bought and killed the brand. Still have their cranks on my old Lawwill suspension Schwinn mtn bike

sales guy
11-14-2013, 03:10 AM
I remember seeing and picking up that beryllium frame. The full frame was crazy light. The part alloy part beryllium was still stupid light at 2.5 pounds for a 56.

Dia compe is still around.
So is SR. It is part of Sakae

Wrench force, I have many of their tools. But it wasn't Snap on, wrench force was Trek. I remember buying them from Trek in 96/97. They ended up getting rolled into the trek name instead of staying a separate name.
They were supposed to be laser cut and really good, sad part is they sucked. Too heavy, too thick and mine, kind of loose fitting. Compared to other wrenches I have, horrible.

Noleen I thought was officially bought by Girvin/ProFlex back in the day. Or at least the bike end of things was. And of course they're gone now.

Yeah, we used to have a ton more choices for innovative companies 10,20,30 years ago. Sad all the companies that are gone. So many of them, great companies like Answer and manitou were left to just flounder vs continue it's innovating and designing of new things. They were huge back in the 90's. Now, they are just getting back out in the buying world. Sad.

sales guy
11-14-2013, 03:29 AM
Oh, and matrix is gone too. Forgot them.

ORMojo
11-16-2013, 02:53 PM

Pretty sure Peugeot is still Peugeot - in other words, still around, and still under the original ownership. Peugeot bicycles originated in 1830. In 1926 they created Peugeot Cycles "to separate production of bicycles and automobiles," but it was still owned by Automobiles PEUGEOT. In 1992 "Cyclegroup were entrusted with the manufacturing, sales and marketing and became the owner of the entire production tool" but Automobiles PEUGEOT still owned the brand, as they do to this day.

Now . . . it is true that Peugeot sold the North American rights to the Peugeot bicycle name to ProCycle, and briefly sold the European rights, although they have since reclaimed those. So, IMO, Peugeot is ineligible for this list, since outside of North America they remain very much in business and not under new ownership.

pinkshogun
12-02-2013, 09:43 PM
how about Grandis?

SpokeValley
12-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Eisentraut