PDA

View Full Version : Assos ShaqUno vs. Bonka? (Forget that, went 851 Airjack!)

FlashUNC
11-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Seeing very few reviews about the ShaqUno. Anyone have any comparative experiences?

Uno is certainly cheaper, but the differing pockets and other small details make me wonder.

jt2gt
11-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Honestly...if you want the best pockets, get the older Assos 851 jacket and be done with it. I am in Ohio and had most jackets -- Fugu, Rapha, Castelli, etc. Not only does the older 851 have the best and easiest/biggest pockets, it has a great temp range depending on baselayers, vest, neck gator and even slim enough to fit rain and extra wind protection over it if needed.

Newer Bonka and Shaq are nice, but really not worth the cost right now compared to the older 851 and I think most of the Assos officianados on here would agree...it really is the standard winter jacket.

JT

jpw
11-11-2013, 12:02 PM
Seeing very few reviews about the ShaqUno. Anyone have any comparative experiences?

Uno is certainly cheaper, but the differing pockets and other small details make me wonder.

i was looking at a youtube clip this morning and it highlighted that the Shaq back panel is one piece of fabric. it isn't constructed with a central vertical stabilizing panel and two side panels like the the bonka and habu. it probably doesn't contour as nicely or hold its position as well, and may pull, although i haven't tried one on yet.

No zippered pockets, probably no ipod routing, no main zipper back flap, no neck guard.

i've seen the bonka on discount that puts in almost within the range of the Shaq price. just repair a few more inner tubes to save the difference.:)

FlashUNC
11-11-2013, 12:14 PM
i was looking at a youtube clip this morning and it highlighted that the Shaq back panel is one piece of fabric. it isn't constructed with a central vertical stabilizing panel and two side panels like the the bonka and habu. it probably doesn't contour as nicely or hold its position as well, and may pull, although i haven't tried one on yet.

No zippered pockets, probably no ipod routing, no main zipper back flap, no neck guard.

i've seen the bonka on discount that puts in almost within the range of the Shaq price. just repair a few more inner tubes to save the difference.:)

That's been something of my thought. The concern about the bonka -- if there is one -- that I've seen is that the jacket seems to run a bit warm and maybe doesn't have quite the flexibility of the venerable 851. Was wondering if maybe the shaqUno hits that sweet spot. And some firsthand experience from folks never hurts.

FlashUNC
11-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Honestly...if you want the best pockets, get the older Assos 851 jacket and be done with it. I am in Ohio and had most jackets -- Fugu, Rapha, Castelli, etc. Not only does the older 851 have the best and easiest/biggest pockets, it has a great temp range depending on baselayers, vest, neck gator and even slim enough to fit rain and extra wind protection over it if needed.

Newer Bonka and Shaq are nice, but really not worth the cost right now compared to the older 851 and I think most of the Assos officianados on here would agree...it really is the standard winter jacket.

JT

Just an update here. I took the advice to heart and have one on the way from the Assos Factory Outlet.

Looks like I'll be putting some other winter gear up for sale shortly.

fatallightning
11-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Fwiw, the shaq is rated warmer then the bonka. The whole body on the shaq is wind stop, instead of the breathable back on the bonka. The shaq shell isn't bonded to the liner, it's a separate wind block layer, then the insulation layer. You can feel the layers if you rub them. Doesn't have that "last for twenty years" feel of the air Jack or fugu.

yashcha
11-19-2013, 05:18 AM
Just an update here. I took the advice to heart and have one on the way from the Assos Factory Outlet.

Looks like I'll be putting some other winter gear up for sale shortly.

You made a great decision. I have had mine for about 4 years and must have worn it at least 200 times, still looks nice. I wear mine between 30-60 degrees. I had to downsize my clothing collection so for tops now I just own two short sleeve summer jerseys, some base layers, and the 851. For right below 60 degrees, wear it with a sleeveless base layer, down to about 30 with a nice thick wool base layer. The pockets are great, and the reflective stripe down the middle of the set of pockets is a nice touch.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f331/yashcha/Ai48oG5CQAAGA4Ajpg_large.jpg

roguedog
11-19-2013, 08:19 AM
Nice shot yashca. Man I kinda dig that orange 851... well and the Hampsten too, of course.

teleguy57
11-19-2013, 08:28 AM
There's a jacket in the photo? :) Love the pig!

yashcha
11-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Sadly the pig is gone from my life now...

Ahneida Ride
11-19-2013, 11:09 AM
www.foxwear.net

jpw
12-02-2013, 01:32 PM
i took delivery of a Shaq Uno this afternoon. I don't rate it and will be returning it immediately and try a Bonka instead.

Too many compromises in design and materials.