PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite finishing touches on a bike

inthegutter
01-16-2006, 09:10 PM
So,
throw in your ideas! A certain way to route cables, calf leather bar tape, anodized bolt kit :confused:. Any finishing touch, small or large, technique or product, that makes a bike stand out.

Don't be afraid to show examples. :beer:

I'm awaiting the parts for my dream ride now... a Merckx premium with full record and this seemed like a good daydream topic.

Fixed
01-16-2006, 09:18 PM
bro i.m.h.o. h.b. tape match your color and take your time to wrap ,cheers :beer:

amg
01-16-2006, 09:22 PM
clean cable routing, clean bar wrapping, bar plugs oriented properly, saddle and handle bar lined up staright and a cork, yes a cork from a favorite bottle of wine or champagne tucked away someplace on the bike.

Antonio :beer:

dsimon
01-16-2006, 09:23 PM
I like the simplicity of the things "clean lines" something that makes a bike sexy :D

Ahneida Ride
01-16-2006, 09:41 PM
Decals !

I've seen bikes with ton of decals that look great !!!
..... Bikes with no decals that look great.

IMHO too many bikes have decals that just shout at you with little
concern for class or sensitivity.

The detail is in the decal. ;)

shaq-d
01-16-2006, 09:44 PM
well if u're talking about what a mechanic can do... then i'd have to say i like soldering the cable ends instead of crimping things. it's basically free and flawless. no longer do i need to hunt for those little end caps...

sd

dsimon
01-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Thanks shaq d i never thought of that :banana:

Tailwinds
01-16-2006, 10:03 PM
a cork, yes a cork from a favorite bottle of wine or champagne tucked away someplace on the bike.

I like these (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=10299&highlight=Kirk+Terraplane) finishing touches -- the cable guide placement, the filet brazed custom stem, the matching headset and spacers...

I'm planning to tuck a special cork away somewhere on/in my new Kirk. Maybe 2 corks... :beer:

inthegutter
01-16-2006, 10:40 PM
well if u're talking about what a mechanic can do... then i'd have to say i like soldering the cable ends instead of crimping things. it's basically free and flawless. no longer do i need to hunt for those little end caps...

sd

Hey thats a good idea.

Speaking of which, how about Nokon cables? Kinda fancy and lighter to boot.

shinomaster
01-16-2006, 11:23 PM
chrome

Bill Bove
01-17-2006, 01:13 AM
A Dave T Serotta Forum Banana sticker on the back of the seattube :banana: and my arse on the saddle :D

Ti Designs
01-17-2006, 04:39 AM
Dirt. I don't go for this "oh, it's so new and clean" crap, go out and ride the damn thing, get it dirty. Isn't that what the bike is really all about?

Yeh, I'm still trying to get booted off the Serotta board - what idiot would ride their new bike and get it all dirty?

jerk
01-17-2006, 06:00 AM
ah.....probably not this thing. at least not on the jer's bike. but dirtdigger might like it....

jerk

cycleman_21
01-17-2006, 06:25 AM

sd

I have tried this a couple of times in the past,
I thought this a good idea too, but I can't get the solder to stick, can anybody help me with that?

Ron C

cycleman_21
01-17-2006, 06:32 AM
I like to take colered electrical tape and cut it to about a 1/4 in. wide and put some on the bars and maybe even the hubs, seat post, just enough to be different I guess :)

RC

CT Rider
01-17-2006, 06:42 AM
1) Salsa Skewers in a color to accent your bike.
2) Winwood Carbon Fiber Bottle Cage(s) also in a color to accent your bike.

I just put red Salsa Skewers and red Winwood CF Cages on my new Serotta to match the red Serotta decals and bar tape.

dave thompson
01-17-2006, 06:43 AM
A Dave T Serotta Forum Banana sticker on the back of the seattube :banana: and my arse on the saddle :D
Howabout a Forum sticker on the back of your arse?!

ergott
01-17-2006, 07:02 AM
I like the look of Nokons and crossed shifter cables. The lines are real smooth and make for a neat cockpit.
http://websites4ever.com/ergott//close_front.jpg

shaq-d
01-17-2006, 07:23 AM
Thanks shaq d i never thought of that :banana:

ya it's great... i got it from big mac.. for stainless steel cable make sure to use acid flux; other wise it won't go (i once spent 1 hr soldering the same cable until it occured to me the problem wasn't how i was soldering but the flux..lol.. imagine a guy repeatedly doing the same thing over and over and over for 1 hr...). and do it a nice airy environment/windows open...

oh just read cycleman/ron c's post.. ya.. it's stainless steel so it'll just keep dropping/sliding off. u gotta use acid flux instead of rosin flux.. rosin flux is for computer components and stuff; acid flux will burn it in. it's often just labeled "stainless steel solder". rough it up with sandpaper too if u have it around.

sd

bluesea
01-17-2006, 07:26 AM
Speaking of which, how about Nokon cables? Kinda fancy and lighter to boot.

Uh, not really. They remind me of those octopus-like mechanical creatures from "The Matrix".

I like the look of silver rims and silver hubs, with black tires.

Grant McLean
01-17-2006, 07:40 AM
I like the look of silver rims and silver hubs, with black tires.

yes, there's nothing like that
"i can't be bothered to find skinwall tires" look
:)

-g

Wayne77
01-17-2006, 08:30 AM
Silver stem, silver seatpost, silver components with understated logos. I'm tired of all the black stuff with gaudy decals.

bluesea
01-17-2006, 09:20 AM
yes, there's nothing like that
"i can't be bothered to find skinwall tires" look
:)

-g

Skinwalls are good but...

Silver stem, silver seatpost, silver components with understated logos. I'm tired of all the black stuff with gaudy decals.

The only problem is I couldn't find the stem and bars I wanted in silver, so the black tires fit in better. Fashion... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

zeroking17
01-17-2006, 09:32 AM
A quality set of hub shiners.

fiamme red
01-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Grateful Dead stickers. License plate. Milk crate. Day-Glo handlebar streamers.

No one will steal my bike! :D

David Kirk
01-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Level saddle and proper bar orientation. Clean simple bar wrap without the wad O' electrical tape near the stem. Cinelli logo tape only.

Dave

Too Tall
01-17-2006, 10:01 AM
AMG and TailW, tell me what you know about the tradition to hang a cork on your bike. I learned it from an ancien' PBP rider who claimed it was so you won't "lose your fizz" :) Cute.

The last thing I do when building a bike is to put one colored cable crimp somewhere...usually the rear mech. and than to bend all the loose cable ends so they have pleasant lines...pretty wierd huh? I guess everyone has their "thing".

kokies
01-17-2006, 10:05 AM
Logo’s on the tires matching the valve stem location.

zank
01-17-2006, 10:20 AM
King headset logos on top and botton cup lined up with each other.

Johnnyg
01-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Brass farrells are a nice touch.

amg
01-17-2006, 12:05 PM
AMG and TailW, tell me what you know about the tradition to hang a cork on your bike. I learned it from an ancien' PBP rider who claimed it was so you won't "lose your fizz" :) Cute.

I learned it from a poem about cycling that talked about so "you won't lose your fizz" as well as "uncorking a sprint". I thought it was a pretty cool poem so now I carry a cork. :)

pjm
01-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Valve stem caps that look like dice! :cool:

Grant McLean
01-17-2006, 12:14 PM
The only problem is I couldn't find the stem and bars I wanted in silver, so the black tires fit in better. Fashion... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I hear ya.
But that's the problem, when I see all the effort that
obviously goes into these projects, so then it's
even more of a reason why you can't give up!
Find the right parts!!

-G

Dr. Doofus
01-17-2006, 12:41 PM
real shrunken heads

Catulle
01-17-2006, 12:55 PM
I think the best finishing touch for a bike is to keep it as simple and as neat as possible. I hate extra wires, bags, attachments, reflectors, etc. I carry a water bottle because I must, but I think the bike looks better without it. Also, my bikes look best after I´ve spent a long afternoon washing them and lubbing all that needs to be lubed. A nice clean bike all preped and ready to go looks like sunshine to me.

cycleman_21
01-17-2006, 01:20 PM
oh just read cycleman/ron c's post.. ya.. it's stainless steel so it'll just keep dropping/sliding off. u gotta use acid flux instead of rosin flux.. rosin flux is for computer components and stuff; acid flux will burn it in. it's often just labeled "stainless steel solder". rough it up with sandpaper too if u have it around.

sd

Thank you very much shaq-d

Ron C

Karbon
01-17-2006, 02:39 PM
Level saddle and proper bar orientation. Clean simple bar wrap without the wad O' electrical tape near the stem. Cinelli logo tape only.

Dave

Only on Cinelli bars and stem!

I use two turns of electrical tape, it's enough and looks neat if you take the time to line the turns up, with the ends under the bars, so there is no ridge from the start, or showing edge from the finish.

I count bar tape turns and get them the same both sides.... :crap:

Fixed
01-17-2006, 03:09 PM
bro the rider .cheers :beer:

Serpico
01-17-2006, 03:17 PM

yup :beer:

OldDog
01-17-2006, 03:55 PM
So,
throw in your ideas! A certain way to route cables, calf leather bar tape, anodized bolt kit :confused:. Any finishing touch, small or large, technique or product, that makes a bike stand out.

Don't be afraid to show examples. :beer:

I'm awaiting the parts for my dream ride now... a Merckx premium with full record and this seemed like a good daydream topic.

How 'bout a ripped pair of quads...

Brian Smith
01-17-2006, 05:39 PM
I have tried this a couple of times in the past,
I thought this a good idea too, but I can't get the solder to stick, can anybody help me with that?

Ron C

In my experience, the fancier stainless cables make it a bie-ahtsch to achieve the solder adhesion. Use the less expensive variety from Shimano and any ol' standard soldering flux, and it'll work.

On a decent bike I change inner cables yearly or at any sign of wear/corrosion anyway, therefore the extra corrosion resistance of the stainless wire is not really a benefit.

wanderingwheel
01-17-2006, 05:52 PM
Here's the best explaination I've seen for the corks: http://search.bikelist.org/getmsg.asp?Filename=classicrendezvous.10311.1253.e ml

weisan
01-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Everytime I finished building a bike up, I will invariably clean off all my fingerprints. :D

inthegutter
01-17-2006, 07:15 PM
How 'bout a ripped pair of quads...

Ok Ok ha ha it was funny the first 1000 times. :bike:

pdxmech13
01-17-2006, 09:50 PM
a lite and easy pedal on my favorite route.

gdw
01-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Use a drop of super glue on the cable ends if the flux doesn't stick or you lack a soldering iron.

Too Tall
01-18-2006, 06:30 AM
Speaking of cable crimps...someone mentioned brass crimps? That would look nice. If anyone has a source for brass and colored crimps shoot me a PM. I'm always looking for more.

victoryfactory
01-18-2006, 07:26 AM
Ergott:
If you cross the shifter cables like that, don't you have to cross them
again under the down tube to make them come out right?

VF ?????

I like the look of Nokons and crossed shifter cables. The lines are real smooth and make for a neat cockpit.
http://websites4ever.com/ergott//close_front.jpg

zank
01-18-2006, 08:11 AM
You are correct, VF.

Too Tall
01-18-2006, 08:19 AM
As a practical matter it seems to make cable housing "rebound" less an issue on short(er) headtube bikes...esp. Campag...WHICH like just fine...sheesh!

ashwinearl
01-18-2006, 12:06 PM
http://static.flickr.com/39/81123644_2e9e461663.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/36/81123607_022545ab2f.jpg

72gmc
01-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Cork bar tape, wrapped well. (FYI having your 5-year-old daughter assist makes a good wrapping job less likely)

Nice curves to the cables.

A level saddle and level bar top/lever transitions.

And my personal pet peeve... wheels in STRAIGHT with the skewer levers pointed backward (for the front wheel) and up between the seatstay and chainstay (for the rear wheel).

BTW, Dave Kirk, electrical tape is available in a wide range of colors. Does that count?

MartyE
01-18-2006, 02:05 PM
champagne cork hanging from saddle rails.
A proper tubular bag under the saddle (Jandd makes a nice one).
Computer wires taped (clear tape) to the inside of the fork
or underside of downtube, no zip ties.
I'd say tires oriented same way (logo etc) but with
tubulars there isn't much chance of really screwing it up).

Marty

Too Tall
01-18-2006, 02:15 PM
MaryE - My man! I just found a supply of old school under the saddle tubular holders...Wolber??? So cool. Putting that on tonight :)

Kevan
01-18-2006, 02:28 PM
Clean rubber.

And a pine scented air freshener.

Oh, and clean out the ashtray too.

stackie
01-18-2006, 02:30 PM
Too Tall,

I'd love to see a pic of those.

As far as my finishing touchs.

1. Cork hanging from saddle. In a break from tradition, I use a wine cork vs. Champagne. Usually one from a bottle of special significance. Currently, Folie a Deux's Menage a Trois and Benziger's Tribute. For added cool and Karma, I screwed my old SS shoulder screw into the Menage on my Fixie.

2. Duckcloth saddle roll with nice leather dog collar to hold it to seat. Ala Rivendell. But, a yard of duckcloth for $2.99 makes four squares. Leather dog collar is about $6 and can be found to match your Brooks saddle perfectly. After buying a Brooks, who can afford a real saddle bag? :)

3. Hot glue cable caps. Works pretty well, and they can be pulled off pretty easily if need be.

4. Keep the bike clean. Yes, ride them, but treat them well when you return home.

Jon

nobrakes
01-18-2006, 02:59 PM
All these touches in finishing off a new bike are exceptional, but for me it's always the slipped-wrench scratch that I'm most proud of. Not neseccarily the scratch itself, but where it is on the bike, and how you successfully camoflage it so it never shows. Especially on a customer bike. You've done it, so don't go thinking I'm all thumbs.
Quieting that loose bit of metal that rattles inside the tubes of most mid-to-low-level welded steel frames; in a word, super glue.

MartyE
01-18-2006, 03:47 PM
This is the bag I just got, LBS had it on sale for some ridiculous price like
$10.00. Big enough for a tubular, my keys and small multitool.
looks better than bare tubular and old Binda toe strap.

http://www.jandd.com/ProdImages/BicycleSeatBagsFramePacks/TireBagII/TireBagIIThumb.jpg

Marty

Frankwurst
01-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Dirt. I don't go for this "oh, it's so new and clean" crap, go out and ride the damn thing, get it dirty. Isn't that what the bike is really all about?

Yeh, I'm still trying to get booted off the Serotta board - what idiot would ride their new bike and get it all dirty?

Yes to answer your first question and me to answer your second, but I still like to put'em together and when their done look at'em and say to myself "That looks cool" even though I know nobody else will notice. :beer:

97CSI
01-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Difficult choice. I think I have to go for those 2-foot long multi-colored plastic streamers that are attached to the ends of the handlebar (especially if they are the upgrade model with a spring at the attachment) or plastic playing cards held on the seat-stay with a clothes-pin so that the card goes 'pop, pop, pop........ against the spokes as you ride. Both are about as good as it gets.

But, seriously, nothing beats a Campy Record group for a nice finishing touch.

Too Tall
01-19-2006, 08:00 AM
MartyE I use the same bag logo'd by TUFO :rolleyes: (hehe)The lettering is very expensive. The old school tubular tire holder I mentioned is infact a Zeus brand. Some fellow has lots of these to sell on e-bray. To make it a complete package just stuff your clapped out Seta Silk in a white gym sock and Voila' you've got it ;)