PDA

View Full Version : Aero Bar Suggestions

magoo
11-10-2013, 02:10 PM
My wife and I hope to be leaving for FL in a few weeks. I hope to log some serious miles on the Withlacootchie State Trail. However, I have two problems that limit my mileage. Hand numbness and arthritis in my right wrist. I have double wrapped my bars, bought new gloves, raised my bars 2 cm above the saddle, and I've tried a wrist brace. All to little or no avail. I've briefly met a rider from Wisconsin who logs big miles and a couple touring from Oregon who were using aero bars. Would they(aero bars) solve my problems? If so, what make or models would be most effective. I'd sure appreciate any suggestions.

Bruce K
11-10-2013, 02:20 PM
I assume you are looking for clip-ons?

Be careful if you gave carbon bars as many are/were not compatible with clip-on bars

If you have small diameter bars, I have a set of HED clip ons with s-bend ends I am no longer using that you could gave cheap to experiment with

Otherwise, some of the local guys like Profile with the "ski jump" ends

BK

magoo
11-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Yes, I would need clip-ons. I have the small diameter aluminum bars.Is there much adjustment with aero bars?

RedRider
11-10-2013, 03:14 PM
Aero bars, if positioned properly could relieve your pain issue, but possible cause a few safety problems.
When you are on the aero bars you have no easy access to the brake levers. From the aero bars it is difficult to steer. Unless you are riding on a flat, straight out and back, you will be moving back to your levers regularly for braking and shifting which could aggravate your arthritis as well as continually shift your weight back and forth.

2wheelwill
11-10-2013, 04:01 PM
I have a new profile clip on bar that you can have for free. Just cover shipping....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Joe Bob
11-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Profile Contour.

magoo
11-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Riding on the trail in FL is almost boringly straight and flat. I usually ride alone, although there are several others in the park who I've ridden with.
Riding alone, I can sometimes go for several miles without braking or shifting