PDA

View Full Version : Time vs Look

10-4
11-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Which would you choose? Not one model vs. another I guess, more which brand do you hold in higher esteem?

I see Time as a Ferrari. Colnago as a Porsche. Where does Look come in? (Of course I'm ignoring nation of origin).

Or is this a comparison that needs something else considered? I've been looking into a Time or a Look. Trying to figure out why I would pick one over the other. It's tough to get a test ride on one, so it'll be a leap of faith....

tuscanyswe
11-09-2013, 05:51 PM
I woulda thought Look was the ferrari n time more lamborghini.

4Rings6Stars
11-09-2013, 05:55 PM
I have never paid much attention to either brand, but have always thought of them as pretty similar in my mind, or at least on the same level.

Maybe a slight edge to Look, just because I have seen more of them....there have seen some 585's on this forum that had me almost reaching for my wallet (or paypal login...)

TRACK
11-09-2013, 06:03 PM
both are great. i had time pedals first. but now look's are actually a bit lighter than time's. so i would say get look. and i think look has more shoes selection since its popular.

Climb01742
11-09-2013, 06:03 PM
My impression is, Look was very desireable, while Time still is. Meaning: Look 585 and 595 were/are frames many folks love; the current Looks get much less love. Whereas Time seems to continue to evolve their frames and get love today. Said another way: I'd buy an old Look or a new Time.

bianchi10
11-09-2013, 06:06 PM
Which would you choose? Not one model vs. another I guess, more which brand do you hold in higher esteem?

I see Time as a Ferrari. Colnago as a Porsche. Where does Look come in? (Of course I'm ignoring nation of origin).

Or is this a comparison that needs something else considered? I've been looking into a Time or a Look. Trying to figure out why I would pick one over the other. It's tough to get a test ride on one, so it'll be a leap of faith....

This would be my thoughts:

Time would be a Ferrari - Fast car and fast bikes, though from what I hear, a 5 hour ride on a Time might be more comfortable than a 5 hour ride in a Ferarri.

Look as a BMW-Great car, great bike but not always a first thought when thinking of top end, but top tier level is expensive and sexy.

Colnago as a Bugatti - Way over priced and not everybody likes them. Might be fast but generally mixed reviews when it comes to aesthetics.

10-4
11-09-2013, 06:58 PM
both are great. i had time pedals first. but now look's are actually a bit lighter than time's. so i would say get look. and i think look has more shoes selection since its popular.

Forgot all about pedals, was talking frames!

10-4
11-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Said another way: I'd buy an old Look or a new Time.

That's a statement I was thinking but couldn't articulate. Looking at the used market, there are more used Look frames I like than new.

Finding MSRP on either seems to be tough to do, but my impression is that Time is higher priced. Is that reality?

zzy
11-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Time was founded by former Look employees who wanted to push the envelope a bit more, including the inventor of clipless pedals IIRC. Both companies make fantastic bikes, and the dominance of the Look track bike at the recent worlds says a whole lot. The 695 looks amazing and is brilliantly designed with all the integrated parts - Look is really innovating in terms of front-end design. However I believe they moved production to China (please tell me I'm wrong). Time remains hand built and the aero ZXRS is a real work of art. Not the lightest, but a real beauty in terms of form following function. Time had much smaller production runs and tend to be rarer, esp on this side of the pond. However, you cannot go wrong with either.

mike p
11-09-2013, 07:34 PM
I always think of Time and Look as the identical twins of the bike world.

Mike

wc1934
11-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Time was founded by former Look employees who wanted to push the envelope a bit more, including the inventor of clipless pedals IIRC. Both companies make fantastic bikes, and the dominance of the Look track bike at the recent worlds says a whole lot. The 695 looks amazing and is brilliantly designed with all the integrated parts - Look is really innovating in terms of front-end design. However I believe they moved production to China (please tell me I'm wrong). Time remains hand built and the aero ZXRS is a real work of art. Not the lightest, but a real beauty in terms of form following function. Time had much smaller production runs and tend to be rarer, esp on this side of the pond. However, you cannot go wrong with either..

I believe you are correct - my Look says DESIGNED in France.

RedRider
11-09-2013, 08:17 PM
I recently selected Time as a new brand to bring into the shop. Look was on the short list but Time it will be.
Time frames are designed and still manufactured in France. The carbon fiber is actually woven at the same facility and not just prepreg. The tube shapes and the frame designs are original and don't look like every molded carbon frame.
Greg LeMond bought Time Sport USA, the US distributor, and Time will manufacture the new LeMond frames.
There are some great videos online of their manufacturing process.

Charles M
11-09-2013, 08:37 PM
They're bot very good.

They both genuinely develop / design and build a bulk of the more desirable products, both are pretty particular about the raw materials.

Both have very good products.

And neither are Italian enough to be compared to Ferrari or Lambo...

I would ask the next question and try and figure out who might have a model that suites what you want a bit more... These are two solid companies that don't reduce well to a forum pissing contest.

ultraman6970
11-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Is the op talking about the frames or about the pedals? never mind...frames :)

sales guy
11-09-2013, 08:51 PM
I recently selected Time as a new brand to bring into the shop. Look was on the short list but Time it will be.
Time frames are designed and still manufactured in France. The carbon fiber is actually woven at the same facility and not just prepreg. The tube shapes and the frame designs are original and don't look like every molded carbon frame.
Greg LeMond bought Time Sport USA, the US distributor, and Time will manufacture the new LeMond frames.
There are some great videos online of their manufacturing process.

Just a note, not all the frames are made in France. If you look at the stickers, some show France and other EU countries like Czech Republic. Not a bad thing, it's just a thing. It is usually on the lesser expensive ones.

As for the comparison of the two brands, I like both. But I find the geometry on Time frames to suit me better. I also like the ride better. It could be because of the geometry. But I have owned both. But only kept the Times.

I personally have found the Time frames to be stiffer than the Look frames. Again, could be me. But I do think both are quite innovative. Especially with the Look bottom bracket/crankset. I like Time pedals better also. Again, just a me thing.

I would use a Toyota 86 Gt vs Subaru bRZ as comparison. Essentially the same car, made of the same or similar components with different badging and slightly different finish for the individual companies. Better way to describe them.

kramnnim
11-09-2013, 09:18 PM
I have a 585, love it. Not sure if the VXR is the equivalent but they seem similar...but I have no interest in trading. The Time graphics aren't appealing to me.

On the other hand, the 695 looks ugly to me. Humpy top tube, odd seam at the top of the seatstays... RXRS looks stunning, I'd love to own one.

I have just under 24,000 miles on my 586...underrated frame. The Epost is kind of annoying, but looks nice and works well. Still don't quite understand how the Translink works...

Oh, and Look frames are made in a Look owned factory in Tunisia.

tv_vt
11-09-2013, 09:23 PM
I have Time pedals on my Look frames. Never ridden Time frames or Look pedals.

I've had a KG 481, two 585s, and one 585 Optimum. All great bikes, still have the Optimum and one 585. The Optimum works fantastically well for me. It's still a race bike, if you ask me.

And honestly, I'd ride a 695, too. Think they're really cool and their appearance has grown on me. The graphics are way more understated than Time's. Not sure if I'll ever own one, but I'd love to try one out.

kramnnim
11-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Time's warranty appears to be quite a bit better- lifetime vs 5 years.

gavingould
11-09-2013, 09:44 PM
the Tenspeed Hero guys certainly like their Look(s) and i think they have a Time floating around too.

FlashUNC
11-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Time without a doubt.

The VXR is a ridiculously good bike.

maverick_1
11-10-2013, 12:43 AM
I have both the VXR and VXRS Ulteam, preferring the traditional look rather than the ultra modern design i.e RXR framesets.
The built quality on TIME frameset is second to none, and not even Colnago can match that.

As I understood, TIME was the first company to introduce ISP frameset, as well as asymmetric chainstays, the rest of the manufacturers follow suit with their version and so on. This is a company well known for innovative ideas, quality manufacturing.

And if something unfortunate occurs, TIME provides a lifetime warranty (*for all framesets dating from 2006 and after)

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3793/10772132245_fa341a384c_b.jpg

bicycletricycle
11-10-2013, 03:51 AM
Time, they weave their own carbon socks to make their tubes.
And the bikes ways look way cooler IMHO

sales guy
11-10-2013, 06:48 AM
I have both the VXR and VXRS Ulteam, preferring the traditional look rather than the ultra modern design i.e RXR framesets.
The built quality on TIME frameset is second to none, and not even Colnago can match that.

As I understood, TIME was the first company to introduce ISP frameset, as well as asymmetric chainstays, the rest of the manufacturers follow suit with their version and so on. This is a company well known for innovative ideas, quality manufacturing.

And if something unfortunate occurs, TIME provides a lifetime warranty (*for all framesets dating from 2006 and after)

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3793/10772132245_fa341a384c_b.jpg

Unless you don't have the receipt and if it is related to your bottom bracket shell disintegrating. Lol.

Don't get me wrong, I love my vxrs. I also have a Helix Equipe HM frame, two of them. One TT/Tri and one road. Love them both. But the BB thing does have me a bit irked. Especially being someone "in" the bike industry. And I know there are a bunch of the BB issues out there. The US office said they are aware of it, have like a bunch of frame to send back due to it. So why not just fix them and be done. ESPECIALLY since the VXR doesn't have the issue!?

I would still by an RXRs or one of the newer TT bikes they don't make anymore or hell a CX bike if I could. I don't use my two bolt front stem though. Slips. Haven't tried the 4 bolt version yet.

And yeah, the graphics, a bit ···· and too large/over the top, but they could be worse. :)

binxnyrwarrsoul
11-10-2013, 06:54 AM
Iirc, LOOK's are made in Tunisia, Time's are made in France.

sales guy
11-10-2013, 06:58 AM
Iirc, LOOK's are made in Tunisia, Time's are made in France.

The look comment, correct
Time makes some in France, but not all. Some are Czech Republic. If you look at the sticker near the bb shell, it shows a map of Europe and has places colored in as to where it's made. Wish I had a picture. It's usually the lesser expensive ones.

oldpotatoe
11-10-2013, 07:10 AM

Speed play........huh?

Oh, read the posts....Lemond/Time, if I were to buy a carbon frame, which I'm not gonna do.

RedRider
11-10-2013, 07:33 AM
They're bot very good.

They both genuinely develop / design and build a bulk of the more desirable products, both are pretty particular about the raw materials.

Both have very good products.

And neither are Italian enough to be compared to Ferrari or Lambo...

I would ask the next question and try and figure out who might have a model that suites what you want a bit more... These are two solid companies that don't reduce well to a forum pissing contest.

This Forum can be a great information exchange but this thread is becoming a little misleading. Both Look and Time have new US distributors for 2014 as well as new models. I expect to see exciting stuff from both in the near future. None of the Time frame models mentioned above still are available "new" and all 2014 Time frames have BB30 so if there was an issue perhaps it's been addressed.
I'd hate to hear that someone didn't but an Audi because he/she was warned that they could have sudden unintended acceleration...

saab2000
11-10-2013, 07:37 AM
The only bike I've ever had that I truly regret having sold. I also regret having used the Arundel Tubi bag. It's supremely ugly IMHO. :D

I keep my eyes peeled for another 585 Ultra in the XL size. I should never have sold this one and I hope the guy I sold it to sells it back to me.

In fairness to myself though, it should be said that I never felt as nicely positioned on this one as I did on my 381. They changed the geometry when they came out with the 585 and reduced the sizing from 1cm increments to about five or six sizes.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7425/10777391823_414a0602c2_o.jpg

Below is my old 381. It was perfect in so many ways and stiffer than people want to believe and the ride quality was superior to the 585. But it was just an evolution of their first bike in many ways and somewhat behind the times. Had they created the 585 in the fashion of the 381/481 regarding sizing and geometry I would have bought a lifetime's supply and never looked back.

The biggest fault of the 381 was the absurd seat post size (25 mm) and the internal seat post securing method with didn't create pressure around the circumference but rather pushed on one dime-sized spot really hard, damaging the seat post. It looked nice but was bad engineering putting form before function. But the 381/481 are really nice bikes to ride.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5535/10777276466_85f03e75b0_o.jpg

I can't comment on the Times. Never ridden one. But I sure do wish Look had evolved the 585/595 instead of coming out with some of their current monstrosities.