PDA

View Full Version : Wheels for a Seven Mudhoney Rando/CX build

Nags&Ducs
11-08-2013, 06:08 AM
I'm looking at some wheels for the wife's Mudhoney. Got it narrowed down to 2014 Fulcrum CX 5s ($280 shipped semi-locally here in Germany) or hand-built Velocity A23 w/ Miche hubs ($425 shipped from US). I like the wider rim, the more classic look, and most likely more comfortable ride that the A23s will offer. But I also love Campy wheels because of their smooth bearings and lateral stiffness. Can't decide! Help!! Btw, the $150 extra for the A23s is a NON-factor. I'm just torn between these 2 sets. Btw2, my wife doesn't really have a preference but she loves her Neutron Ultras on her roadie. The tipping point would be this: "is the 23mm width that much better than standard 20mm, especially for a CX Rando bike?" If it matters, the tires will be 30mm Michelin Jets.

Also, the goal is to build the wife's bike to look similar to the build that is in the thread here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=137706

The rest of the build will be Campy, most likely Chorus 11.

Thanks bubbas!

AngryScientist
11-08-2013, 06:46 AM
first off, i am a big fan of campy pre-built wheels, they are pretty much all excellent, and that includes the fulcrum line.

that said, it is, and would always be my preference to have a hand built wheel for rough road riding. these type of bikes are meant to go where the roads are in bad shape, and unpredictable potholes, rocks etc. all that equals a wheel that could get knocked out of true in an unexpected hit to something. good, handbuilt wheels with higher spoke count are just easier to true up in a home stand than the pre-built stuff with lower spoke counts, odd lacing patterns, etc.

the wider rim craze is over hyped IMO. i ride both consistently, and the difference is often overstated here. correct tires and pressures matter much more.

my 2-cents worth.

Nags&Ducs
11-10-2013, 08:07 PM
first off, i am a big fan of campy pre-built wheels, they are pretty much all excellent, and that includes the fulcrum line.

that said, it is, and would always be my preference to have a hand built wheel for rough road riding. these type of bikes are meant to go where the roads are in bad shape, and unpredictable potholes, rocks etc. all that equals a wheel that could get knocked out of true in an unexpected hit to something. good, handbuilt wheels with higher spoke count are just easier to true up in a home stand than the pre-built stuff with lower spoke counts, odd lacing patterns, etc.

the wider rim craze is over hyped IMO. i ride both consistently, and the difference is often overstated here. correct tires and pressures matter much more.

my 2-cents worth.

Thanks for your inputs AS. I am still on the fence, but with an ever so slight lean toward the Fulcrums. I've been trying to find reviews of the Miche hubset but not much out there, except one about a cracked axle.