PDA

View Full Version : Off season training plan input

Mikej
11-07-2013, 07:26 PM
So, anybody have a good off season training plan? Anybody ever hire a coach, they seem pretty expensive, so I was looking for some ideas if any of you are willing to share. Snowy climate, looking to up my MTB race game.

FlashUNC
11-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Time for Long Steady Distance rides, imo.

Small ring, tempo, etc etc.

T.J.
11-07-2013, 08:42 PM
I have a coach but what he prescribes for me won't necessarily work for you. Training is a lot like saddles , what works for one doesn't for another

gavingould
11-07-2013, 10:02 PM
a coach will help, as long as you are clear about your goals, the coach knows what they're doing, and you do the prescribed workouts to a T.

if your usual winter consists of not much riding, then it's pretty simple - keep riding so you don't lose fitness.

if you have the drive but feel a coach is too expensive or not a good fit, get some books on training and tailor as needed.

dekindy
11-07-2013, 10:36 PM
Lots of good training plans on TrainerRoad.com. $10 per month and as a bonus with the right setup you can train with power.

Germany_chris
11-08-2013, 06:24 AM
Beer and hanging out with the extended family is not winter training? :help:

GT2R
11-08-2013, 06:56 AM
That's a different kind of training!

Mikej
11-08-2013, 07:14 AM
Lots of good training plans on TrainerRoad.com. $10 per month and as a bonus with the right setup you can train with power.

Thanks, I was looking for something like that - I don't mind paying, just looking for some ideas or current books, or web based "general" programs.

Are there any coaches here on THe PAceline?

laupsi
11-08-2013, 07:46 AM
something few recreational/amateur cyclists do; weight lifting - squats and lunges w/"light" weights.

lots of reps, no more than 3x/week, 2x/week is perfect for me. weights do not need to be a heavy load. I weigh 155lbs and do free lifting using 80-100 lbs. (80 from Nov-Dec, 90-Jan-Feb, March to early April 100) 2x/week, 15 reps of squats, 15 each leg lunges for a total of 4x each. after lifting usually do 30-60 minutes of spinning, (depending on time available) of high rpm, (95-100), spinning = very little resistance, 39x19/18 or 200 watts or less.

save my heavy rides for the weekends, longer 2-4 hours, more intense but nothing all out until March. come April I am where I was at the end of August previous season but confident I can turn it up and keep going w/out the burn out. actually I'm a bit stronger strength wise due to the weights.

oh, and good luck w/your training! :)

oldpotatoe
11-08-2013, 08:52 AM

That's summer and winter training.

FlashUNC
11-08-2013, 09:14 AM

Certainly worked for one guy.

http://fatmanonabike.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/tdf04p7248452ullrichfinaltt.jpg

MattTuck
11-08-2013, 09:44 AM
So, anybody have a good off season training plan? Anybody ever hire a coach, they seem pretty expensive, so I was looking for some ideas if any of you are willing to share. Snowy climate, looking to up my MTB race game.

Mike,

I'm with you on the snowy climate. I'll admit it, I rarely ride in the snow or when it is very cold. I do sometimes, maybe 3-5 cold weather rides in the cold winter months (Dec - Feb). One of the problems is that sometimes the cold winter months extend into March and sometimes April... and I sometimes get discouraged or lose focus as the winter weather drags on. I know, I should HTFU.

Anyway, I'm with you on wanting a good off-season plan, and hope this thread brings in some good tips.

If you have strava, you should check out their new videos that I posted about the other day.

MattTuck
11-08-2013, 09:48 AM

http://fatmanonabike.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/tdf04p7248452ullrichfinaltt.jpg

I think he's always been my favorite rider from that era, for that reason. Who else starts the Tour obviously too heavy and says, "I'm going to ride myself in to shape"?

It is the story of my cycling life.

CunegoFan
11-08-2013, 09:54 AM
So, anybody have a good off season training plan?...Snowy climate, looking to up my MTB race game.

Started mine yesterday. Ran up a five mile climb that averages 7.5% where the gate had been closed to cars last week.

I was passed by four guys on skateboards holding onto a rope being pulled by a moped. I figured they would be coming down while lying on their long boards like a luge but a while later they came screaming by, standing up and bent over for better aerodynamics. I have no idea how they made the switchbacks, which require hard braking on a bike.

Germany_chris
11-08-2013, 10:12 AM

I love Jan Ulrich!!

binxnyrwarrsoul
11-08-2013, 02:55 PM
I love Jan Ulrich!!

Sheez he's huge in that pic.

Germany_chris
11-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Sheez he's huge in that pic.

I agree, he's looking a bit plump. He probably ought to have gone up a jersey size :p

Ti Designs
11-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Anybody ever hire a coach, they seem pretty expensive, so I was looking for some ideas if any of you are willing to share.

The coach's job isn't to micromanage the individual workouts, it's to lay out an entire training program that gets you to next spring ready to reach your goals. What you pay for in a coach is the time consuming part of checking progress and adjusting the program based on that - or at least that's what you should be paying for... The advice you're going to get here is about certain types of workouts, but what's missing is how it fits into a larger training plan.