PDA

View Full Version : Hot liquids on cold day rides

roadie7
11-07-2013, 02:25 PM
As winter approaches, I had several questions for the other "hard men":
1. Do you carry a hot drink during your rides in sub-freezing weather? 2. If so, what mug/bottle/thermos do you use? and 3. How well did drinking warm/hot liquid help in keeping you warm?

Thanks.

nooneline
11-07-2013, 02:29 PM
I've stuck an old-school thermos into a jersey pocket. The liquid stays warm forever.

I've also done it a different way... put a beer into your pocket. Ride till it gets cold. Drink the beer. Turn around and go home.

Anarchist
11-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Hot tea mixed with milk and sugar in a metal water bottle, put it in the second cage and go.

Lanterne Rouge
11-07-2013, 03:19 PM
I've stuck an old-school thermos into a jersey pocket. The liquid stays warm forever.

I've also done it a different way... put a beer into your pocket. Ride till it gets cold. Drink the beer. Turn around and go home.

Brilliant.

chwupper
11-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Hot tea in a Klean Kanteen with the non-sippy lid:

http://www.kleankanteen.com/products/insulated/klean-kanteen-insulated-16oz.php

It's pretty rough on bottle cages, but it keeps the tea warm for hours in the absolute coldest weather.

And there's nothing like nice hot liquid when you're freezing your a$$ off. Ahhhhhhh! Cold liquid on cold day is a soul crusher to me...

benb
11-07-2013, 03:57 PM
I have several thermos mugs which are super watertight and fit in a bottle cage, but I've never tried it.

You don't drink this stuff on the bike do you?

FlashUNC
11-07-2013, 04:03 PM
I save the hot stuff for stops or something to look forward to at the end of the ride.

SpeedyChix
11-08-2013, 09:39 AM
I use a feed bag made by Epic Ride Research, think it's now made/carried by Revelate Designs. Keeps the bottle contents sheltered from the wind and offers some insulation. Easier to get at the bottle as well. No digging a layer down to get into a bottle stuffed in a back pocket. While designed for mountain bike use I've found it a good option for (very) cold road rides.

Germany_chris
11-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Glühwein

danielpack22@ma
11-08-2013, 12:26 PM
+1 on these. I keep mine in a handle bar bag. They work great and don't leak (so far).

Hot tea in a Klean Kanteen with the non-sippy lid:

http://www.kleankanteen.com/products/insulated/klean-kanteen-insulated-16oz.php

It's pretty rough on bottle cages, but it keeps the tea warm for hours in the absolute coldest weather.

And there's nothing like nice hot liquid when you're freezing your a$$ off. Ahhhhhhh! Cold liquid on cold day is a soul crusher to me...

oliver1850
11-08-2013, 07:55 PM
mmm

Bkat
11-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Hot apple cider. Bottle in my back jersey pocket. I'd say a splash of whiskey for medicinal purposes, but that wouldn't be responsible now would it? :)