PDA

View Full Version : NYC Cyclists - how do you do it?

FastforaSlowGuy
11-07-2013, 02:22 PM
My wife's firm is hinting that they'd like her to be in NYC more, as in "all the time" kind of "more." We live in the 'burbs outside Boston now. Obviously there are a lot of things to consider before we'd ever make a move, but quality of life is one of them. Part of QoL is, frankly, riding. So for those of you who live in NYC and ride seriously, I'm curious - how do you do it?

nooneline
11-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Well, it's been a few years for me, but Prospect Park and Central Park are decent places to ride. If you go during peak hours and nice weather, though, it's a bit of a ····show. However, if you're a mornings-or-evenings sort of rider, it's good, although a bit repetitive.

For better training and more adventures, it's better to head up Manhattan and cross the GWB. Once there, there's terrific riding up New Jersey toward Rockland County NY. Everybody talks about "River Road" but it's really Henry Hudson Drive - little traffic, extremely beautiful, and some nice rolling hills. That'll take you to 9W, which is a cyclists' thoroughfare. Once in the Nyack area, there are a ton of great routes with some solid climbs.

For longer days there's the option Bear Mountain, or hour-long train rides up to Putnam or Dutchess County for some really incredible riding.

christian
11-07-2013, 02:29 PM
We moved to Westchester. Problem solved!

Depending on where in the city you'd/she'd work, the commute can be tolerable or better. I'm nose on 1h5m from my front door to sitting at my desk in midtown, all on a civilized uncrowded train with coat hooks, and I live in cycling paradise -- good road riding out the front door, Gimbels goes by my house, 4 miles to good mountain biking, 25 minutes to unbelievable mountain biking.

If you live in the city... you ride laps of CP during the week, and 9W to Nyack on the weekend. After 10,000 laps of the park, we had enough.

johnmdesigner
11-07-2013, 02:50 PM
I'm with Christian on this one.

Lived in NYC for 30 years.
Central Park was unrideable after the inline skaters invaded in the 80s.
That said, 9W to Nyack gets a bit old (and very crowded) on the weekends.
I am lucky to ride during the week with a handful of other riders but it's still boring.
You can take the train or drive to other locations but that's not much fun either.
If your wife participates in your cycling then you might have some leverage in choosing to live in the burbs.
NYC is a great place to live. Upper West Side where I live a bit short on city life but an easy ride to the GWB and New Jersey.
Westchester is nice and has some advantages over NJ for those commuting to the city. Connecticut if you have the coin (though I thing the drivers there are bigger aholes than NYC).

Bob Ross
11-07-2013, 03:00 PM
For better training and more adventures, it's better to head up Manhattan and cross the GWB.

^^^This. The best part about living in NYC -- well, Manhattan specifically -- is the proximity to excellent riding outside of NYC.

I've lived in northernmost Manhattan for the entire time that I've been an avid (read: obsessed) road cyclist, so getting to the GWB (...and/or the Broadway Bridge, to get into the Bronx on your way to Westchester) within minutes has been the icing on a wonderfully delicious cake which is NYC cycling. It's just that the best NYC cycling isn't really in NYC. But it is so close. And there are so many beautiful routes, lovely roads, fantastic destinations, and wonderful clubs to ride with, all just a few miles from midtown.

verticaldoug
11-07-2013, 03:02 PM
If you don't what to live in the city and don't have children, you have a choice of many nice neighborhoods in crappy school districts. (lower taxes, lower prices, roughly 30 minutes to Grand Central by train. Hastings-on-Hudson, Dobbs Ferry, Ardsley on the Hudson for the closer rivertowns. Bronxville P.O. , Pelham for a little more central. You can jump on South County trail which will shoot you out towards Rockefeller where the riding gets better.

54ny77
11-07-2013, 03:09 PM
If cycling's really important and giant part of life, then burbs are better. If its just specific fitness riding, CP or local roads are fine (can get boring, yeah, but it all depends on time limits), and everything else about NYC is awesome, provided the income supports it of course.

Lanterne Rouge
11-07-2013, 03:19 PM
NYC sucks for riding. Seriously. Any sort of loop leaving and returning to your front so will involve fighting traffic for at least 30 minutes. That you'll typically hit the 9W where the city glides into the distance but unfortunately the Gotham attitude follows with all the egos you'll encounter on the way to an overpriced coffee somewhere in Jersey.

That is all.

Actually there is plenty of good riding but you'll have to hop on a train to find it. I personally like Long Island and to be fair in the shoulder seasons the 9W and NJ offers some fine bicycling.

christian
11-07-2013, 03:19 PM
I do echo what johnmdesigner says. The UWS is a good place to live as a cyclist. We were at 89/WEA for 10 years and it was a good compromise of close to the park, close to the GWB, and 2 subway lines on the west side, plus a nice neighborhood to live in. We liked it. But for cycling, it isn't Chappaqua/Mt.Kisco/Bedford/Armonk/Pound Ridge!

christian
11-07-2013, 03:23 PM
BTW, though I freakin' adore where I live now... I will say that as big cities go, NYC is actually very good for cycling. I've lived in LA, Chicago, SF, Houston, NYC, and Phillly. I preferred NYC for cycling. Chicago was the absolute worst. If I lived there, I'd join a Vespa club.

johnmdesigner
11-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Despite my grumpy old man attitude:butt: I think that if you get the chance to live and work in NYC (and can afford it) you should really live in Manhattan and experience everything the city has to offer.
If you live on the west side (Tribeca, West Village, UWS you have easy access to the Hudson River park and avoid riding crosstown.
Brooklyn is really a haul if you want to ride up the Hudson though some here like the riding on Long Island.

TPetsch
11-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Ignorance & Coffee!

Lots of Coffee.

Some how it doesn't seem stop me though, must be the ignorance.

I just think city drivers assume I must be moving much more slowly than I actually am. ...But the fact remains that I'm still amazed how drivers will come close to killing me rather than lift off the throttle for a half second only to cut me off just to abruptly stop in front of me at the intersection. Than I pass them again any way.

So, I've come to assume that every person and every car is about to do something that baffles stupidity.

christian
11-07-2013, 03:29 PM
though some here like the riding on Long Island.For the record, these people are wrong. I would do an annual ride to Oyster Bay and always wonder why by about the midpoint.

TPetsch
11-07-2013, 03:32 PM
For the record, these people are wrong. I would do an annual ride to Oyster Bay and always wonder why by about the midpoint.

Long Island is a great place to ride, IMO!

54ny77
11-07-2013, 04:16 PM
You ain't grumpy, you stylish!

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z113/jpmz06/IMG_5096.jpg (http://s191.photobucket.com/user/jpmz06/media/IMG_5096.jpg.html)

;)

Despite my grumpy old man attitude:butt: I think that if you get the chance to live and work in NYC (and can afford it) you should really live in Manhattan and experience everything the city has to offer.
If you live on the west side (Tribeca, West Village, UWS you have easy access to the Hudson River park and avoid riding crosstown.
Brooklyn is really a haul if you want to ride up the Hudson though some here like the riding on Long Island.

Climb01742
11-07-2013, 05:43 PM
another 2 cents: either live_in_manhattan or stay where you are. working and living in manhattan is a hard, beautiful way to live. it's the city at both its best and worst. but in my opinion, it's the only real way to experience NYC (with apologies to brooklyn, which is definitely a great place to live but sorry, it ain't manhattan.)

everyone has their NYC limit. few can take it forever. i made it for about 20 years. being an athlete or cyclist in the city isn't easy. possible? very. easy? no.

if you live in Manhattan and want to ride, just live within 10 blocks of central park, with the UWS being my recco.

and bring mountains of money.

majorpat
11-07-2013, 06:30 PM
You poor dears...drive a few hours upstate (upstate is not westchester by the way) and ride your brains out in CNY! Won't work for a Tuesday night but roll up here for a weekend and you'll be able to get lodging for what you slap down on a slice of pizza in NYC.

If any of you titans of industry with a dozen custom bikes want to invest, I plan on converting an old barn into the "Finger Lakes Bike Dorm" someday.

veloduffer
11-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Your choice can also be dictated by where your wife's office will be. If she works midtown, especially the East Side, you can also live in Queens. I lived in Forest Hill Gardens (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Hills_Gardens,_Queens) for many years and worked on 48th & Park. It took about 35 minutes door to door and I had access to subway and Long Island Railroad.

As for cycling, it's very easy to get out to Long Island and there are some great rides, like the Triangle Ride that starts at the LI Expressway service road. The LIE service road is great for winter riding, as it is 3 lanes most of the way, and is always plowed.

It's also easy to get off LI from Forest Hills to go north to Westchester and CT.
Also, the public schools are good in the area.

Just additional food for thought...

RedRider
11-07-2013, 07:27 PM
And if you want to race there are at least 4 regular races per week that you can ride to... Floyd Bennett Field on Tues, Central Park on Sat, Prospect Park on Sun and the Rockleigh Crit on Thurs evening.

TRACK
11-07-2013, 07:54 PM
im a full time bike messenger and ive been working for almost 3 years now. know the city by heart, where a good locations to grab a quick bite (with discounts for bike messenger/taxi drivers etc.. or usually they let us go in front of others if you show them im a messenger (sorry fellow NYers!)), and lastly.. where to pee.

To be honest, NYC streets are dangerous. potholes, j-walkers, insane drivers etc.. Even tho Bloomberg have made more bike lanes, but that doesnt effect anything. really. I would recommend doing central park laps, they are about 4-5 miles, they are open (no cars) after 7 on weekdays (cars passes thru here on weekdays work hours) and weekends they are open all day. watch out for passer-bys or tourists tho, they tend to stop their bikes all of the sudden in the middle and try to take pics.
one did that to me i had no time to react and ended up crashing into her bike.

If not hit up the west side highway, beautiful place during the summer. long run too. you can see NJ across. and theres a cool local hangout spot that couple of us goes to every time we bike there: the frying pan. its a boat like dock eatery place. they let you bring your bike in. west side highway can lead to the east that means youll be able to circle the entire manhattan.

if youre a track addict like me, theres a velodrome in flushing.

The unveil of Citibikes does help fellow car drivers to be aware much more.

oh and taxis shall be your worst enemy.

let me know if you have questions!

for the edit add: youll hate it when you see a parked taxi car on the bike lanes or a truck unloading. UGH UGH UGH watch this. haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ

pbarry
11-07-2013, 08:05 PM
We moved to Westchester. Problem solved!

Depending on where in the city you'd/she'd work, the commute can be tolerable or better. I'm nose on 1h5m from my front door to sitting at my desk in midtown, all on a civilized uncrowded train with coat hooks, and I live in cycling paradise -- good road riding out the front door, Gimbels goes by my house, 4 miles to good mountain biking, 25 minutes to unbelievable mountain biking.

If you live in the city... you ride laps of CP during the week, and 9W to Nyack on the weekend. After 10,000 laps of the park, we had enough.

Really? After reading the nice NYT piece last spring, I was sure you were a die-hard, year-round bike commuter. Another hero is tarnished. ;)

another 2 cents: either live_in_manhattan or stay where you are. working and living in manhattan is a hard, beautiful way to live. it's the city at both its best and worst. but in my opinion, it's the only real way to experience NYC (with apologies to brooklyn, which is definitely a great place to live but sorry, it ain't manhattan.)

everyone has their NYC limit. few can take it forever. i made it for about 20 years. being an athlete or cyclist in the city isn't easy. possible? very. easy? no.

if you live in Manhattan and want to ride, just live within 10 blocks of central park, with the UWS being my recco.

and bring mountains of money.

Good stuff above except the outdated digs [in bold] from someone who presumably never left Manhattan, cause the outer boroughs are scary--Not! Much better quality of life in Brooklyn and Queens, (depending on the neighborhood, housing is well below Manhattan rates, ethnic food is available in abundance, good coffee/beer is easy to find, and street parking is actually do-able), and you can take the 59th Street Bridge and make equal time riding to CP or the GWB as someone living in Tribeca.

Get up before dark and both Prospect Park and CP are fine to ride with few impediments. Century Road Club sponsors races on Saturday mornings, during the season, at as early as 5:45a.m., in CP. Start is at the boat house. You can develop a killer sprint riding up 8th or 10th Avenues. Come back down from northern Manhattan on 2nd Ave., and you'll get good at maneuvering at high speed.

Go for the move if it makes sense for you and your family. Everyone should live in NYC, at least for a few years.

Cheers

TRACK
11-07-2013, 08:10 PM
Everyone should live in NYC, at least for a few years.

couldnt agree more.

pbarry
11-07-2013, 08:24 PM
im a full time bike messenger and ive been working for almost 3 years now. know the city by heart, where a good locations to grab a quick bite (with discounts for bike messenger/taxi drivers etc.. or usually they let us go in front of others if you show them im a messenger (sorry fellow NYers!)), and lastly.. where to pee.

To be honest, NYC streets are dangerous. potholes, j-walkers, insane drivers etc.. Even tho Bloomberg have made more bike lanes, but that doesnt effect anything. really. I would recommend doing central park laps, they are about 4-5 miles, they are open (no cars) after 7 on weekdays (cars passes thru here on weekdays work hours) and weekends they are open all day. watch out for passer-bys or tourists tho, they tend to stop their bikes all of the sudden in the middle and try to take pics.
one did that to me i had no time to react and ended up crashing into her bike.

If not hit up the west side highway, beautiful place during the summer. long run too. you can see NJ across. and theres a cool local hangout spot that couple of us goes to every time we bike there: the frying pan. its a boat like dock eatery place. they let you bring your bike in. west side highway can lead to the east that means youll be able to circle the entire manhattan.

if youre a track addict like me, theres a velodrome in flushing.

The unveil of Citibikes does help fellow car drivers to be aware much more.

oh and taxis shall be your worst enemy.

let me know if you have questions!

for the edit add: youll hate it when you see a parked taxi car on the bike lanes or a truck unloading. UGH UGH UGH watch this. haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzE-IMaegzQ

Awesome post from someone in the thick of things. Do you work for BreakAway: Are they still around?

Climb01742
11-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Good stuff above except the outdated digs [in bold] from someone who presumably never left Manhattan, cause the outer boroughs are scary--Not!

be careful making assumptions you know nothing about. i actually spent a lot of time in brooklyn. my then GF/my now wife lived in park slope, and hence i hung there a lot. so based on actual first hand, personal experience, i stand by my opinion (you'll grant me the right to have an opinion based on experience, right?):

brooklyn is, as i said, a great place to live. in every facet of life, brooklyn has been on the rise for years. a very cool place. all that said, IMO, it ain't manhattan. to each his/her own. but i'll take manhattan.

you're absolutely free to debate the merits of the boroughs, but...

please keep your assumptions about other people's lives and experiences to yourself, ok?

TRACK
11-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Awesome post from someone in the thick of things. Do you work for BreakAway: Are they still around?

yes sir!

oh for more biking stuff.. roosevelt island is a nice bike roundabout tiny island. you can see both manhattan and queens if you go around.

to be honest west side highway beats all of these. especially with the NJ view. hudson river. no tourists stopping to take pics. most of the people on the run/bike pathways are joggers and bikers.

couple of my friends and i also did a montauk run twice for 130 miles for 9hrs straight biking from the morning. nice route too.

Mr. Pink
11-08-2013, 06:22 AM
For the record, these people are wrong. I would do an annual ride to Oyster Bay and always wonder why by about the midpoint.

Seconded. I have a good friend who invites me out there to do a ride on the north shore every year, and, after doing it a few times, I make sure I have something else scheduled from now on. I just don't get it.

Ride the train to Katonah. Don't be tempted to get off earlier. Riding the train to Greenwich puts you at a half decent spot to start a ride, but, Katonah in Westchester is much better.

That said, living in Manhattan is for the very rich and the young. Love the place, but, unless you have the bucks, it becomes one huge hassle. Just owning a car, which you really need for getaways if you bike or ski (which kills the Zipcar thing), is a big expense and hassle. Move to Upper Westchester, if you're married.

pbarry
11-08-2013, 07:30 AM
please keep your assumptions about other people's lives and experiences to yourself, ok?

Climb, you missed the caveat presumably, and got all righteous. We've actually had a PM exchange, years ago, and discussed living in NY and MA. Take care, buddy!

christian
11-08-2013, 07:37 AM
Ride the train to Katonah. Don't be tempted to get off earlier.For Westchesterites, I have some very nice routes from Pleasantville, Chappaqua, and Mt. Kisco up to Katonah, with low-traffic roads, and optional gravel. But I agree, if you're on the train from the City, Katonah is a good place to get off.

FYI the little market right in town has home made fig bars. Saved me from a wicked bonk once.

Germany_chris
11-08-2013, 07:42 AM
Did Bear Mountain get flattened? Has the Hudson Valley been filled in?

IMHO opinion thing get real boring in NYS once you leave that area all the way until 1000 lakes.

thegunner
11-08-2013, 07:47 AM
to be honest west side highway beats all of these. especially with the NJ view. hudson river. no tourists stopping to take pics. most of the people on the run/bike pathways are joggers and bikers.

haha this is precisely the reason i feel like it's the worst place to go...

nooneline
11-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Yeah, I would always avoid the WSH like a plague. If you're heading uptown, far better to go through Central Park till Harlem and then take streets the last couple miles to the bridge.

I also really like the Montauk ride. I'd take a train to Jamaica early in the morning - skip some of the early morning city stop-and-go - and then east from there. You get into some really beautiful stuff. And then take the train back.

Those who are saying that NYC is the pits for riding are half right and half wrong. It's worth it to note that NYC is terrific for racing. There are regular weekend races in Central Park and Prospect Park, weeknight races at Floyd Bennet Field, Kissena, and weeknight criteriums just over the GWB in Rockleigh. Seriously, you could easily race 3 times per week without getting in to your car, and without even considering the glut of terrific road races within a 2 or 3 hour drive.

Climb01742
11-08-2013, 08:59 AM
another aspect to consider is, being a NYC athlete means, if you're inclined, cross train like crazy. running in either central or prospect park is great; the dirt trail around the reservoir in CP is a soft, forgiving, and at sunrise or sunset, a truly beautiful place to run. there are gyms everywhere in the city. yoga studios almost as plentiful as starbucks. spinning studios galore. if you go to the city as an athlete and a cyclist, your daily quality of life can be cool.

BobbyJones
11-08-2013, 09:46 AM
I haven't read through all of the replies, but here's my two cents.

I've been back in NYC for the past 15-20 years. I've been a bike commuter the entire time and recently moved "off island" a little north into the Bronx (Riverdale) for a little more breathing room.

1) Commuting. I found almost everything in NYC takes about 40-60 minutes door to door no matter what the commute. No matter where I lived and worked that was the reality. Whether it was a subway, bus, train or bike it always worked out the same. So why not ride? Safety wise, there's a certain rhythm to the city. I see the way some people ride and wonder how they make it home at night. I think once you get the flow down and ride like everyone wants to kill you, it becomes "normal"

2) Fun. I'm a firm believer that if you're a even a little adventurous, NYC may well be one of the best urban places to live for a serious cyclist. Weekdays you can wake up a little early, head over the bridge for a quick spin down the practically car free Henry Hudson Drive (River Road). Or do laps in CP if you need to.

Weekends? Totally unlimited options. Sure people talk about 9W > Nyack > Bear Mtn (yawn). I suppose these same folks never bothered to look at a map and see all of the other roads in-between that AREN'T 9W. Go figure.

The MTA is the missing link for the NYC cyclist. As mentioned, Westchester and CT are both easy to get to (train or not) and have great routes. Frequent trains up the Hudson make it easy to start (or end) a ride in any of the river towns (Cold Spring and Beacon are favorites) and you can be home in time for lunch. It's a quick easy ride from the end of the line at Poughkeepsie over to New Paltz, a jumping off point to explore the Catskills. (real hills!)

And lets not forget the race scene here if that's your thing. More than enough local races and plenty of fast guys to train with.

My favorite thing about NYC is the people. We have cyclists. A lot of them. If you come here, get involved and don't be shy. On any given day I'll be in a ride group composed of newbies and pro racers from all walks of life. I think I've learned more on my bike than I ever have in a classroom.

It's a lot easier here than one would think. Best of luck with your choices.

Mr. Pink
11-08-2013, 10:31 AM
I just realized that nobody has mentioned the adrenaline rush one can get from riding in NYC traffic. If you're in the right mood, boy, can it be fun. Wear a helmet, though.

54ny77
11-08-2013, 10:37 AM
very well said. :)

I haven't read through all of the replies, but here's my two cents.

I've been back in NYC for the past 15-20 years. I've been a bike commuter the entire time and recently moved "off island" a little north into the Bronx (Riverdale) for a little more breathing room.

1) Commuting. I found almost everything in NYC takes about 40-60 minutes door to door no matter what the commute. No matter where I lived and worked that was the reality. Whether it was a subway, bus, train or bike it always worked out the same. So why not ride? Safety wise, there's a certain rhythm to the city. I see the way some people ride and wonder how they make it home at night. I think once you get the flow down and ride like everyone wants to kill you, it becomes "normal"

2) Fun. I'm a firm believer that if you're a even a little adventurous, NYC may well be one of the best urban places to live for a serious cyclist. Weekdays you can wake up a little early, head over the bridge for a quick spin down the practically car free Henry Hudson Drive (River Road). Or do laps in CP if you need to.

Weekends? Totally unlimited options. Sure people talk about 9W > Nyack > Bear Mtn (yawn). I suppose these same folks never bothered to look at a map and see all of the other roads in-between that AREN'T 9W. Go figure.

The MTA is the missing link for the NYC cyclist. As mentioned, Westchester and CT are both easy to get to (train or not) and have great routes. Frequent trains up the Hudson make it easy to start (or end) a ride in any of the river towns (Cold Spring and Beacon are favorites) and you can be home in time for lunch. It's a quick easy ride from the end of the line at Poughkeepsie over to New Paltz, a jumping off point to explore the Catskills. (real hills!)

And lets not forget the race scene here if that's your thing. More than enough local races and plenty of fast guys to train with.

My favorite thing about NYC is the people. We have cyclists. A lot of them. If you come here, get involved and don't be shy. On any given day I'll be in a ride group composed of newbies and pro racers from all walks of life. I think I've learned more on my bike than I ever have in a classroom.

It's a lot easier here than one would think. Best of luck with your choices.

CunegoFan
11-08-2013, 10:46 AM
another aspect to consider is, being a NYC athlete means, if you're inclined, cross train like crazy. running in either central or prospect park is great; the dirt trail around the reservoir in CP is a soft, forgiving, and at sunrise or sunset, a truly beautiful place to run. there are gyms everywhere in the city. yoga studios almost as plentiful as starbucks. spinning studios galore. if you go to the city as an athlete and a cyclist, your daily quality of life can be cool.

It all sounds like paradise until you consider the C.H.U.D.s.

Climb01742
11-08-2013, 11:12 AM
I just realized that nobody has mentioned the adrenaline rush one can get from riding in NYC traffic. If you're in the right mood, boy, can it be fun. Wear a helmet, though.

Or the right time. Bombing downtown on 7th Ave at 3am is, indeed, a rush. The other 23 hours, take along your guardian angel.;)

TRACK
11-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Or the right time. Bombing downtown on 7th Ave at 3am is, indeed, a rush. The other 23 hours, take along your guardian angel.;)

you got that right. especially the street that has cobble stones like the ones around downtown and soho.
took my mountain bike there during 4-5pm and BOOM!
so. much. fun.

nooneline
11-08-2013, 11:41 AM
I always loved flying up 1st ave, going through that tunnel under the UN. Super fast.

fiamme red
11-08-2013, 11:49 AM
I always loved flying up 1st ave, going through that tunnel under the UN. Super fast.You can't fly up First any more, unless you're willing to risk getting a ticket for riding outside the bike lane.

nooneline
11-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Yeah, it's been a while.

Bob Ross
11-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Sure people talk about 9W > Nyack > Bear Mtn (yawn). I suppose these same folks never bothered to look at a map and see all of the other roads in-between that AREN'T 9W. Go figure.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu144/Dildo-Boy/this.jpg

Mr. Pink
11-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Which roads are we speaking of?

fiamme red
11-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Which roads are we speaking of?There are many nice roads in Bergen and Rockland Counties that are not 9W. Some of them even go to Nyack!

thegunner
11-08-2013, 12:59 PM
There are many nice roads in Bergen and Rockland Counties that are not 9W. Some of them even go to Nyack!

also... carpediemracing is a member on these boards and can attest to the quality of the racing there, but the bethel series is just a hop and a skip away on the MNR. living in NYC isn't a death sentence for riding by any means.

54ny77
11-08-2013, 01:10 PM
oh man, there's a gazillion ways to get to nyack from just over the gwb (after you get to the clinton/9w intersection) that take you into seemingly another world. you can even do a little off-roading/hardpack fun through tallman getting into piermont.

try it, you'll like it!

nooneline
11-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Sure people talk about 9W > Nyack > Bear Mtn (yawn). I suppose these same folks never bothered to look at a map and see all of the other roads in-between that AREN'T 9W. Go figure.

Hmph, personally I mentioned 9W, Nyack, and Bear because they're the main and most popular routes, and I figured it was useful to communicate to the OP that there's a main artery of good riding just outside the city.

You're right, I have never bothered to look at a map, because I know all of those other roads like the back of my hand.

BobbyJones
11-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Wasn't aimed at you personally.

Hmph, personally I mentioned 9W, Nyack, and Bear because they're the main and most popular routes, and I figured it was useful to communicate to the OP that there's a main artery of good riding just outside the city.

You're right, I have never bothered to look at a map, because I know all of those other roads like the back of my hand.

Mr. Pink
11-08-2013, 02:13 PM
oh man, there's a gazillion ways to get to nyack from just over the gwb (after you get to the clinton/9w intersection) that take you into seemingly another world. you can even do a little off-roading/hardpack fun through tallman getting into piermont.

try it, you'll like it!

I don't know. I'll stick to Westchester and Fairfield, thank you. It's why I live here. Born and bred Jersey, btw.

Skream
11-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Not sure where to start on this one. As a native of Southern California currently in my fourth year exiled in NYC I can provide you with just a few rays of light in what is otherwise a dark abyss that is NYC cycling. First off compared to SoCal I was shocked by the lack of speed in NYC. Suffering to hold on to some rides like Como's in California I was all of a sudden leading out the sprint on the Nyack Rocket Ride....cool....sort of. There are strong guys out here, don't get me wrong, but they are few and far between compared to other places.

I've been hit twice by a car. Walked away both times but neither was my fault. Ironically, I now commute back and forth to work on 5th and 6th avenue and find that to be the most fun i've had on a bike in the city. Few things compare to the adrenaline rush of going full gas down 5th avenue with thousands of pounds of misguided steel flying in every direction. Within the apparent chaos there is a certain flow which you become at peace with eventually (this applies to most thing in the city). Commuting to work is the one major plus that NYC has to it in regards to cycling.

That being said, if you're willing to try new things, the running in central park is awesome and there are endless routes you can take on and off trail.

As others have said NYC is an amazing place to live and experience but don't come here expecting epic cycling. Get yourself a turbo trainer for mid-week (trust me it's better than dodging tourists and thugs in central park) and head across the GW bridge on the weekends for some mileage.

BobbyJones
11-08-2013, 02:28 PM
You've got me wondering about the juxtaposition of these two:)

I've been hit twice by a car. Walked away both times but neither was my fault. .......Few things compare to the adrenaline rush of going full gas down 5th avenue with thousands of pounds of misguided steel flying in every direction.

verticaldoug
11-08-2013, 02:40 PM
My wife's firm is hinting that they'd like her to be in NYC more, as in "all the time" kind of "more." We live in the 'burbs outside Boston now. Obviously there are a lot of things to consider before we'd ever make a move, but quality of life is one of them. Part of QoL is, frankly, riding. So for those of you who live in NYC and ride seriously, I'm curious - how do you do it?

The short answer is when you and wifey come down to scope out the city, post. Hopefully, some of us will be around, and can give you a typical bike tour. Everyone has different tastes, so in internet parlance - YMMV

54ny77
11-08-2013, 03:04 PM
now that's funny. i'm same (from so cal/south orange county), living here east coast since mid 90's.

compared to como, sure, there's nothing like it in nyc area other than gimbels, which like como is also very different thqn what it used to be (both are worse, too many people on bikes and in cars, too much HGH and carbon fiber chasing the weekend worlds dream).

but, nyc riding is its own unique experience and the quality of what can get done (especially pre-dawn in central park, for very specific training) and volume of what's available just over the gwb or out in westchester/fairfield, relative to the enormity of what nyc and surrounding borough living offers, is really something special.

i mean, going north or south on coast highway is nice on a sunny day, but that gets old. and it's just as much a russian roulette game as going up 6th ave at rush hour. heck, i just did it last weekend and prayed i'd make it through corona del mar! somebody was killed there just the other day, a young guy, apparently an experienced cyclist and local attorney, which is yet another fatal tragedy in what has already been a terrible, terrible year in the area.

Not sure where to start on this one. As a native of Southern California currently in my fourth year exiled in NYC I can provide you with just a few rays of light in what is otherwise a dark abyss that is NYC cycling. First off compared to SoCal I was shocked by the lack of speed in NYC. Suffering to hold on to some rides like Como's in California I was all of a sudden leading out the sprint on the Nyack Rocket Ride....cool....sort of. There are strong guys out here, don't get me wrong, but they are few and far between compared to other places.

I've been hit twice by a car. Walked away both times but neither was my fault. Ironically, I now commute back and forth to work on 5th and 6th avenue and find that to be the most fun i've had on a bike in the city. Few things compare to the adrenaline rush of going full gas down 5th avenue with thousands of pounds of misguided steel flying in every direction. Within the apparent chaos there is a certain flow which you become at peace with eventually (this applies to most thing in the city). Commuting to work is the one major plus that NYC has to it in regards to cycling.

That being said, if you're willing to try new things, the running in central park is awesome and there are endless routes you can take on and off trail.

As others have said NYC is an amazing place to live and experience but don't come here expecting epic cycling. Get yourself a turbo trainer for mid-week (trust me it's better than dodging tourists and thugs in central park) and head across the GW bridge on the weekends for some mileage.

christian
11-08-2013, 03:23 PM
I lived in Southern California for 10 years. I now live in Westchester. For motorcycling, I prefer SoCal, but for cycling, I don't think there's any comparison. Westchester is way better. The only thing SoCal has that Westchester doesn't is sustained multi-mile climbs.

(But I'm still shipping my road bike and mtb back with me for Christmas.)

Say, anyone want to ride - Little T, Big T, Angeles Forest, Aliso Cyn, Soledad Cyn, Sierra Highway, Placerita Cyn - the week between xmas and new years?

54ny77
11-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Christian if you're in south OC, I would suggest doing these climbs, maybe even all of 'em in one day if you can! (last summer I got 5 out of 7 and was cooked.)

Pacific Island Dr. (Laguna Niguel)
Nyes Place (Laguna Beach)
Summit Dr. (Laguna Beach)
Bluebird Canyon/Morningside (Laguna Beach)
Temple Hills Drive (Laguna Beach)
Park Ave (Laguna Beach)
Skyline Drive (Laguna Beach)

While not long sustained climbs like those found in the SM mountains (I lived up near there in LA for awhile, and that, i think, is the best riding in So Cal), but these 7 monsters will make your legs hurt bad. The descent on Pacific Island is my favorite. If no serious buffeting wind (or traffic), you can get pretty far up there in speed.

I lived in Southern California for 10 years. I now live in Westchester. For motorcycling, I prefer SoCal, but for cycling, I don't think there's any comparison. Westchester is way better. The only thing SoCal has that Westchester doesn't is sustained multi-mile climbs.

(But I'm still shipping my road bike and mtb back with me for Christmas.)

Say, anyone want to ride - Little T, Big T, Angeles Forest, Aliso Cyn, Soledad Cyn, Sierra Highway, Placerita Cyn - the week between xmas and new years?

r_mutt
11-08-2013, 08:21 PM

i find this hard to believe. i've ridden fairly extensively in seattle and ca and i find the level at the top to be quite similar. come and ride FBF on tuesday summer evenings if you find yourself dropping new yorkers with ease.

as far as racing is concerned in ca and nyc. ask anyone who's raced both and they will tell you that the racing on the east coast is much better. racing in ca is all about crits while the east coast has road courses galore.

FastforaSlowGuy
11-08-2013, 09:51 PM
The East Coast - West Coast comparisons aside (both beautiful so get over it), this is all very, very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

lukasz
11-08-2013, 11:35 PM
I've got to step in and defend Long Island a little. You've got to get past Huntington or, even better, Smithtown. From there it is just as good as Westchester but flatter (though the north shore is respectably hilly). Turn Google Maps to satellite view and have a look. Smithtown to Riverhead, anywhere there is green, has some pretty nice roads.

As far as within NYC city limits for the purposes of commuting: people are used to cyclists so you are treated like a human being by most people. The problem is the assholes that don't care about other human beings. I prefer this situation to alleged cycling friendly places like Portland where on a 200k ride my hosts and I got honked at more than two dozen times by speeding rednecks.