PDA

View Full Version : Paul Thumbies for Campagnolo

oliver1850
11-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Anyone running them?

I have a pair of the mounts, but they seem to be missing parts. Sealed bag and instructions are both marked as being for Campagnolo shifters, there's a "C" engraved in the top of the mount.

I assume the part looks about like a downtube shifter braze on, except that it's female threaded where it would braze to a frame as well as for the D ring screw that holds the shifter on. I couldn't find anything on Paul's site about it. Instructions don't show anything either.

thirdgenbird
11-06-2013, 06:07 PM
I had a set. They had what looked like a shifter boss that threaded on. It was square on one end to set in the alloy mount.

oliver1850
11-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Thanks, that's what I visualized, but can't find anywhere. Seems it should have been in the package with the mounts.

cachagua
11-06-2013, 09:58 PM
If I may hijack things for a second -- I assume this will be for some indexed setup? What shifters? What derailleur?

I'm thinking about doing something like this myself. . .

oliver1850
11-06-2013, 11:32 PM
The idea is to use C8/C9/C10 bar end shifters on the Paul thumbies with an appropriate RD.

With matching RD and shifters, you should be able to do a 2 x 8 through 3 x 10 setup. You might be a little bit limited on hubs for a 135 mm frame, but I'm sure there are ways to overcome that problem.

keevon
11-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Looks like the bosses from the Campy bar-end shifter pods would fit the Thumbies. Maybe Paul expects you to swap them over?

If you don't have the bosses, I should have a set at home. Let me know if you need 'em.

cachagua
11-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Indexed bar ends, ah. I was foolishly thinking downtube shifters.

So, I like to make my own set-up, kind of similar to this, and I've run out of parts. Does anyone have a few pairs of downtube shifter bosses they can sell me?

thirdgenbird
11-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Maybe it did use that OEM part, I can't recall now...

oliver1850
11-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Indexed bar ends, ah. I was foolishly thinking downtube shifters.

So, I like to make my own set-up, kind of similar to this, and I've run out of parts. Does anyone have a few pairs of downtube shifter bosses they can sell me?

I can try some downtubes on the Paul Thumbies when I get the other issue sorted out. I'm pretty sure the Shimano Thumbies have a raised square boss right on them and will mount DT shifters directly. For Campagnolo shifters, you're going to need the piece I had the question about.

Thanks Keevon, I think you may have solved the problem.