PDA

View Full Version : OT: Forumite authors children's book

MilanoTom
11-06-2013, 07:58 AM
Close friend and forumite Rick Billings (I don't remember his user name, but some of the folks in this neck of the woods may remember him from the times he's been on William's Rhode Island Ramble) just published a children's book, The Tragic Tale of Mr. Moofs. This week, the Kindle download is free on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Tragic-Tale-Mr-Moofs-ebook/dp/B00GA3IOWC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383657905&sr=8-2&keywords=the+tragic+tale+of+mr+moofs

I've known Rick since we were in grammar school. He studied at the Rhode Island School of Design and is a full time firefighter. By the way, the Kindle download does not include some of the facing illustration-only pages, so you get more if you order the paper edition.

Yeah, I know this reads like a blatant commercial, but I can't say enough nice things about Rick. He's been like a brother to me (actually, he treats me better than my real brothers do) for many years, and I'm thrilled that he finally has the opportunity to share his fine work with a broader audience.

Kindest regards,
Tom

William
11-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Very cool, congrats to Rick!:cool: I'll be passing the link around.

Rick has been to most of the Ramble's and he was awesome in helping out the autistic child we found wandering the back roads on the last one. Great guy!

William

54ny77
11-06-2013, 12:42 PM
sending you a PM.....:)

William
11-06-2013, 12:46 PM
By the way, Rick's forum handle is "overmyhead".

William

Saint Vitus
11-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Missed opportunity, shoulda named the character Mr Moots... :p

overmyhead
11-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Maybe that can be his evil alter-ego in the sequel!
Thanks Tom, much appreciated.

overmyhead
11-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Sending you a PM Jim.

pinkshogun
11-06-2013, 04:18 PM
finally some good news in rhode island instead of crooked politicians and underage nude dancers

MilanoTom
11-06-2013, 04:42 PM
By the way, Rick's forum handle is "overmyhead".

William

I searched "inovermyhead" to no avail, so figured that my memory must have been faulty.

Regards,
Tom

vqdriver
11-06-2013, 05:15 PM
got an idea of the age range for this? thinking my older will be into it since he's started devouring chapter books lately.

MilanoTom
11-06-2013, 05:23 PM
got an idea of the age range for this? thinking my older will be into it since he's started devouring chapter books lately.

I think it might be geared toward a younger crowd, but download the free Kindle version (I've got the Kindle app on my phone, and used it for the download).

Regards,
Tom

Saint Vitus
11-06-2013, 10:13 PM
I downloaded this to my iPad, I'll see how my 3 yo takes to it, he just may like it ;)

Louis
11-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Warning: Thread drift ahead

Re: e-books

Maybe I'm a Luddite (OK, I am a Luddite, and I'm getting older and grumpier) but I think it's a darn sham that we'll soon have entire generations of kids who will have grown up without "real" books to have on the shelf.

Don't they already spend enough time staring at a screen? Whether it's TV shows or Xbox or whatever. Two things I hope kids will never stop doing: 1) reading real books, and 2) playing and riding bikes outside.

Germany_chris
11-07-2013, 01:52 AM
No because all the worlds knowledge can be contained in a box indexed and searchable. If your intent is the act of reading a book then yes it's a shame, if your intent is to gain knowledge and insight then the new way is perfect.

overmyhead
11-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Louis, personally I feel that things will begin to level out a bit soon. There will always be people that love the feeling of an actual book in their hands and in their homes. In fact,the paperback version of the book has features (not in the Kindle version) that are designed to keep the audience looking at the book beyond the initial reading. I would definitely prefer that the hard copy lands on everyone's bookshelf but the sad truth is that the e book promotion is the best way to get the word out. To date it has over 1400 free downloads. If that leads to even a small fraction of them deciding to purchase the hard copy then there are more books on the table than if I didn't do an e book. In the big picture I think it is a benefit consistent with your feelings.
Today is the last day that it's free. I will let you know if there is a sales spike of hard copies through next week.
Thanks

overmyhead
12-27-2015, 11:07 AM
It's hard to let for me you all know this without seeming like a shill but the Mr. Moofs book is now available in dual language editions through Amazon. Spanish, French, Portuguese and Vietnamese are available.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+tragic+tale+of+Mr.+Moofs

The reason that this is possible is because of a wonderful company based in Boston called Bab'l Books - Bab'lbooks.com
Please check out their website if you have a child. They are great people with the noble intent of getting books into the hands of children trying to learn English. They have many more books available in several other languages and they are the ONLY company that translates and produces dual language editions of children's books. (As an aside, if you happen to be an artist or author of a children's book, contact them. They are always seeking people interested in doing this).
If anyone wants to know more about the book or Bab'l books please feel free to contact me via my regular e mail bear59dog@yahoo.com
Thanks all.

weisan
12-27-2015, 11:12 AM
I remember Rick pal, he was very kind to me as well, I missed having him around.

overmyhead
12-27-2015, 12:56 PM
I'm still here weisan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MilanoTom
12-28-2015, 08:48 AM
It may be too late this year, but at least it will be early for NEXT year's holidays!

bking
12-28-2015, 11:18 AM
Louis, personally I feel that things will begin to level out a bit soon. There will always be people that love the feeling of an actual book in their hands and in their homes. In fact,the paperback version of the book has features (not in the Kindle version) that are designed to keep the audience looking at the book beyond the initial reading. I would definitely prefer that the hard copy lands on everyone's bookshelf but the sad truth is that the e book promotion is the best way to get the word out. To date it has over 1400 free downloads. If that leads to even a small fraction of them deciding to purchase the hard copy then there are more books on the table than if I didn't do an e book. In the big picture I think it is a benefit consistent with your feelings.
Today is the last day that it's free. I will let you know if there is a sales spike of hard copies through next week.
Thanks

well, the "e" promotion on this forum sold you one hard copy. thanks for the heads up and we'll see what the grandkids think. Great reviews to date on amazon. good luck.

overmyhead
12-29-2015, 08:54 AM
Thanks bking - I hope they like it. Please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk