PDA

View Full Version : Giro Factor Sizing

empty
11-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Novice shoe buyer, advice, recommendation requested.

I note that the Giro sizing chart shows the 44.5 to be equivalent to 10.75 US.

Dress shoes I usually wear a 10.5.

Merrell Chameleon I wear a 11.

Mizuno Wave Rider I wear a 10.5 for the smallest, but not too small fit, so my foot does not slide around when running.

Should I go for the 44.5 or the 44 Giro Factor, especially since it is on sale as nashbar.com for an incredible price.

Thanks,
Mike

sg8357
11-05-2013, 11:47 AM
I had to go up a 1/2 size going from Sidi to Giro.

Idris Icabod
11-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Funny, I went down half a size from Sidi to Giro recently. If you go to Artscyclery.com they have a nifty app on their website where you input your current shoes and it compares fit to the ones that you are considering. Initially I bought the same size as my current Sidi but the Giros were bigger, half a size down like the app suggested nailed it.

enr1co
11-05-2013, 11:58 AM
I had to go up a 1/2 size going from Sidi to Giro.

Same here.

When buying shoes online, I typically buy the 2-3 of the closest sizes to try on for best fit

You are likely paying the same amount for outbound shipping anyways (unless free shipping is offered which is even better).

Return shipping is typically only ~$8-12. For me, this beats the cost of gas and time with driving to a store, parking, standing in line etc.

empty
11-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Funny, I went down half a size from Sidi to Giro recently. If you go to Artscyclery.com they have a nifty app on their website where you input your current shoes and it compares fit to the ones that you are considering. Initially I bought the same size as my current Sidi but the Giros were bigger, half a size down like the app suggested nailed it.

Unfortunately, this does not help for the first time bike shoe buyer.

empty
11-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Same here.

When buying shoes online, I typically buy the 2-3 of the closest sizes to try on for best fit

You are likely paying the same amount for outbound shipping anyways (unless free shipping is offered which is even better).

Return shipping is typically only ~$8-12. For me, this beats the cost of gas and time with driving to a store, parking, standing in line etc.

Thanks, this probably makes the most sense.

JonSnow
11-05-2013, 03:34 PM
The Giros have a pretty narrow fit across the front part of the foot compared to my fiziks. I'd say go with the 44.5 if you have a somewhat wide foot at all and get two pairs for comparison if you can return one. They're nice shoes btw. Very stiff and light for their cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

macaroon
11-05-2013, 05:03 PM
I would go 44.5. I found mine to size up about right, Sidi's I use a half size larger.

PJN
11-05-2013, 05:05 PM
I didn't like the giro shoes. Couldn't get my cleats far enough forward.

jbal3242
11-05-2013, 09:11 PM
I wear 11 with a slightly wide forefoot and have the factors in 45 and sidi genius 5 in 45.5 wide since sidis tend to run narrow. The factors fit snug but not too much. Plus they usually come with optional arch inserts.

empty
11-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Ok, so I ordered the 44.5 and 45 in Highlighter Yellow (which is way too loud for me, but this deal is too good to pass up) and will send the one that does not fit so well back or sell it.

Anyone have some like new black shoes interested in a trade?

Thanks,
Mike

kramnnim
11-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Hmm, let me know if the 45s are too big for you. Though I hate the color, too...

Edit: I guess I should just keep holding out for Sidis, since I know they fit.

gary_a_gooner
11-07-2013, 10:47 AM
43.5 Giros are very slightly bigger in the toe box compared to Sidis. I have somewhat wide feet and the Giros fit me a ton better.

empty
11-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Ok, the shoes arrived.

I tried them on and all my toes touch the end of the 44.5. They don't feel smoshed but there is not much if any spare room for any expansion.

The 45s seemed to fit fairly well.

How snug/tight should the shoes fit?

Thanks

pakora
11-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Holy smokes, if it's accurate that Art's Cyclery app is kind of amazing.

I never know how well new shoes fit until wearing them a few times, but I know exactly how the only shoes that fit me perfectly fit and what size they are.

Idris Icabod
11-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Holy smokes, if it's accurate that Art's Cyclery app is kind of amazing.

I never know how well new shoes fit until wearing them a few times, but I know exactly how the only shoes that fit me perfectly fit and what size they are.

I don't think it is Art's app but a third party that they just plug in, I've seen it on other sites. For me it was accurate.

Lovetoclimb
11-12-2013, 12:48 PM

I too found the arts sizing app accurate across several brands.

gary_a_gooner
11-12-2013, 01:09 PM
How snug/tight should the shoes fit?

I'd get the 45 if I were you. I wear some nice, thick wool socks in the winter, and my 43.5 can get snug.

empty
11-12-2013, 01:20 PM
I'd get the 45 if I were you. I wear some nice, thick wool socks in the winter, and my 43.5 can get snug.

Thanks! That was my thought as well. I would imagine that the feet swell some during phsical exersion, so there needs to be a little bit of room, but not enough to slip and slide around.

bianchi10
11-12-2013, 05:33 PM
I'm interested to see how my 44.5 fits compared to my 44 specialized S works. I tried on a 44 at my LBS and the toes seemed pretty close, but the heel seemed to have some slip. I ordered a 44.5 on that nashbar closeout because they didn't have a 44. I'm hoping the 44.5 gives a little more room for me in the toe box since I have mid to wide feet, but am concerned about how the heel will feel. shipping seems to be about a week out unfortunately.

victim
11-12-2013, 08:52 PM
I recently purchased a pair of Giro apeckx in 45.5. They fit perfectly with thin summer socks. I doubt they would have enough room for a real thick wool sock Best to have a separate pair of shoes for winter sized .50 larger to make room for some warm Woolie Boolies.

I wear a true 10.5 D in dress shoes (AE & Alden), a 45 in Fizik and 45.5 in Times. I have a fairly high arch. All my shoes are very comfortable. I don't subscribe to the school that thinks cycling shoes need to so snug that your toes are cramped. I might think different if I raced...but I don't.

empty
11-12-2013, 10:36 PM
I wear a true 10.5 D in dress shoes (AE & Alden), a 45 in Fizik and 45.5 in Times. I have a fairly high arch. All my shoes are very comfortable. I don't subscribe to the school that thinks cycling shoes need to so snug that your toes are cramped. I might think different if I raced...but I don't.

Interesting. I wear a 10.5D AE casual loafer most days. The 45 Giro Factor seemed to fit well just walking around my family room, toes not cramped like the 44.5 was somewhat. However, I have not used the shoes on a bike yet.

Think I should exchange the 44.5 for a 45.5? I guess I keep coming back to what separates just right from loose?

#campyuserftw
11-13-2013, 12:06 AM
Here is what I do when I buy new bike shoes and I don't know if they fit just right...and we can't install cleats to go for a spin. Put em' on at the end of the day/evening with cycling socks. Make them snug with straps. Is there one thumb width between the end of the big toe and the end of the shoe? Sit down on chair with feet on the carpeting, knees at 90*. Put all weight on the toes of one foot. Does the heel tend to pop out? Make strap a wee tighter, try again for any heel pop. Try with both feet. Then stand up on carpeting. Stand there for thirty minutes. Any pain on top of foot etc? Then sit down on the couch and watch tv for a few hours with the shoes on. Do the shoes hurt? If not, they are yours.

I wear Allen Edmonds Park Ave, Presidio, Grayson, Clifton and Strand in 10.5D (and Aberdeen and McTavish in 10D as they run long). I wear a 45.5 Giro Factor (which are on sale in the classified if anyone needs them). I prefer the high arch support of Fizik.