PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Vector Pedals

laupsi
11-05-2013, 09:57 AM
I've asked before, no responses, I'm asking again, anyone try these?

FlashUNC
11-05-2013, 10:08 AM
DC Rainmaker had about 10,000 words or so on the subject:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/09/garmin-vector-review.html

earlofwarwick
11-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Tested them briefly. Tough to add much depth to DC Rainmaker's reviews. My observations: they're a game changer if you dig look-style pedals. I too did not see much in the way of concern for damaging the connectors on the pedals. The accuracy comported generally w/ my quarq readings over a similar course, and the left/right data was a cool feature. That having been said, I'm a speedplay guy, so I'll wait around. The price point should come down quickly on these too, I would hope.

laupsi
11-05-2013, 10:32 AM
DC Rainmaker had about 10,000 words or so on the subject:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/09/garmin-vector-review.html

comprehensive, thanks! :)

cheshirecycle
11-05-2013, 12:22 PM
I personally interviewed the Garmin and Look booths last year at interbike. Look pedals are the way to go. Garmin has to many glitches. Look has been out for 14 months longer and get good reviews...

kgreene10
11-05-2013, 01:53 PM
I personally interviewed the Garmin and Look booths last year at interbike. Look pedals are the way to go. Garmin has to many glitches. Look has been out for 14 months longer and get good reviews...

Interesting. My reading on these (and there's been more than I want to admit) is the reverse: Garmin seems to work well all around whereas Look has tremendously finicky setup and is limited by its proprietary communication protocol.

Broid
11-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Anybody think they might do something like this for Speedplay pedals? Or is there something about Speedplays that make that not possible? It seems like a good idea, but maybe next generation...

ptourkin
11-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Anybody think they might do something like this for Speedplay pedals? Or is there something about Speedplays that make that not possible? It seems like a good idea, but maybe next generation...

I believe that the company Garmin purchased the technology from was designing them on Speedplays. Garmin has stated that other platforms should follow - hopefully the bugs that they spent so much time working out are not platform specific.

bloody sunday
11-05-2013, 04:18 PM
I read the article - retracting my statement

sfscott
12-14-2013, 10:35 PM
Been looking at the Vector pedals. I love my Dura Ace pedals, have the cleat position, shim stacking etc. dialed in.

Anyone ridden these (or the Look Keos on which they are based) vs Dura Ace pedals?

Am I overthinking the difference between the two?

FlashUNC
12-14-2013, 10:42 PM
They're not based on Look Keos.

That would be the Look/Polar pedals.

sfscott
12-14-2013, 10:44 PM
The Vectors are made by a Taiwanese company that did some manufacturing for Look, and I am told that the Vectors can use Look Keo cleats, so that's the basis of the question.

FlashUNC
12-14-2013, 10:50 PM
They use Keo cleats. But they're Exustar pedals.

DC Rainmaker's review is ridiculously exhaustive.

Netdewt
12-14-2013, 10:54 PM

All of his are... doesn't he have a day job?

sfscott
12-14-2013, 10:54 PM
They use Keo cleats. But they're Exustar pedals.

I am aware of that and read the review. My question was about how those pedals compare to a set of tried and true DA pedals. Since I doubt many here have experience with the Vectors, I thought I'd ask about Keos since the pedal itself is similar to what Garmin offers.

ptourkin
12-15-2013, 02:53 PM
I am aware of that and read the review. My question was about how those pedals compare to a set of tried and true DA pedals. Since I doubt many here have experience with the Vectors, I thought I'd ask about Keos since the pedal itself is similar to what Garmin offers.

I ride with someone who is using them between her road and track bike. She's had problems and returned them at least once. Anecdotal, but be careful. The beta was endless, maybe there's a reason for that.

laupsi
12-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Actually just got a paif of the Vector Pedals. I ride Look Keo so no change for me pedal wise and yes, I do think the pedal platform is very functional. I ride about 6K miles/year, racing included and these pedals have performed very well.

As for the wattage feature and the main reason for purchasing them, good product, a little bit more involved to sync than the SRM on my other bike but really nothing a 5 year old can't handle. Recommend using the Garmin 810 for ease of use, have an 800, works just fine. very good option to the SRM price wise to be sure.

Gummee
12-15-2013, 06:14 PM
I had the first gen of D/A SPD-Sls and have switched to Keos. The D/A are slightly nicer bearing-wise, but overall, they're pedals.

Keos are easier to walk in.

HTH

M

Threshold
12-15-2013, 10:13 PM
I examined this unit on someones bike and my impressions are these are a stupid toy design and I can't believe the industry waited all this time for this piece of garbage. If you are riding a crit or take a sharp corner you are going to jam this unit into the pavement. It only measures one side and makes a calculation, so it is useless. The pedals look like cheap LOOK garbage. The whole Garmin thing makes no sense to me, plus the head units look ugly as sin on your stem. Why do you need to know where you are on the earth all the time with pinpoint precison? Isn't the point of riding a bike escape and freedom, discovering the road unknown? Garmin's suck! Again, FRED boomer cyclo tourist stuff. You want a real system get an SRM or if you have small pockets get the new PowerTap.

jbrainin
12-16-2013, 01:46 AM
Yo, Swoop, izzat you?

oldpotatoe
12-16-2013, 07:18 AM
I examined this unit on someones bike and my impressions are these are a stupid toy design and I can't believe the industry waited all this time for this piece of garbage. If you are riding a crit or take a sharp corner you are going to jam this unit into the pavement. It only measures one side and makes a calculation, so it is useless. The pedals look like cheap LOOK garbage. The whole Garmin thing makes no sense to me, plus the head units look ugly as sin on your stem. Why do you need to know where you are on the earth all the time with pinpoint precison? Isn't the point of riding a bike escape and freedom, discovering the road unknown? Garmin's suck! Again, FRED boomer cyclo tourist stuff. You want a real system get an SRM or if you have small pockets get the new PowerTap.

Or Stages..Powertap is a A- power measuring system with a D-/F+ hub.

Vectors are $1700???? YGBSM...

cfox
12-16-2013, 07:35 AM
Stages has a few, minor blips (battery life, battery tab breaks), but it looks to be a total game changer in the near future. I honestly think the SRM type power meter will become obsolete. You just don't need a heavy, crank based system anymore. SRMs are beautiful pieces of machinery (I've owned one), but lighter, simpler technology should/will surpass it at some point. SRM is seeing the writing on the wall to some degree; their new, awesome looking PC8 head unit (coming this spring) will be compatible with all ANT+ power meters. Interesting as well: Competitive Cyclist is discounting their SRMs by 25%. When have you ever seen Dura Ace SRMs on sale?

laupsi
12-16-2013, 07:49 AM

examine again if you will. if pedaling through a corner, (a big no, no BTW), the pedal itself will hit the ground before the power measuring device, when pedals are in a 6-12 position the PMD is parallel to the ground if installed properly, not perpendicular. don't see how it's possible to run these into the tarmac. the angle the bike would have to maintain to do so would be extreme to say the least.

fio
12-16-2013, 08:27 AM
Or Stages..Powertap is a A- power measuring system with a D-/F+ hub.

Care to explain the hub rating? Not looking to argue, just genuinely curious.

Thanks

Mark McM
12-16-2013, 10:09 AM

Also, it doesn't just measure one side - there system comes as a pair of power sensing pedals, so it measures the power from each foot, and sums them.

(Although, there had been some talk of making a lower price model which only uses one power sensing pedal.)

ergott
12-16-2013, 10:42 AM

There's lots to dump on Garmin for, but your points are wrong.

Pods won't hit the ground first at any crank angle. As mentioned above, there is a pod on each pedal to measure power.

benb
12-16-2013, 11:14 AM
They better be pretty darn perfect as you're talking about a set of pedals + head unit that cost more than a pretty nice entry level racing bike.