PDA

View Full Version : Rear rack for bike w/o tabs

kevinvc
11-04-2013, 09:12 PM
I recently bought a Mountain Cycles Stumptown (love it!) for racing during cross season and daily commuting the rest of the year. It has fender mounts but no tabs for a rear rack. I'm a year-round commuter and, while I sometimes just use a backpack, there are times I really like having panniers.

It seems like I have 2 choices: use a seat post rack, which seems to run about 65-35 against in the court of public opinion. Most folks say they slide too much, while a few are happy with them. The other option is something like the Axiom Journey, which mounts through the rear axle skewer. This sounds like a much more stable and secure option, but I don't know how it would work on an everyday basis. I'm concerned I would have to re-adjust it anytime I opened the quick release tab to change a flat, etc.

Does anyone have any insight on either of these options or any others I've missed?

pinkshogun
11-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Old Man Mountain makes racks that mount on the canti studs and then either upper eyelets or if need be, P clamps on seat stay

AngryScientist
11-05-2013, 06:09 AM
get one of these Salsa seatpost rack mounts, pictured below. then use the fender mount locations you have down low for the lower rack stays. modifications and/or tinkering may be necessary for the proper fit with some racks, but this solution is generally a good one.

http://www.bikebagshop.com/cart/images/salsa-post-lock-rack-mount-stock-M.jpg

jr59
11-05-2013, 06:51 AM
Cardice bagman?

fiataccompli
11-05-2013, 09:41 AM
I've used wiring harness clips like these to attach racks...

http://www.nuttybolts.com/fasteners/images/1-Loom%20Clamps.jpg

donevwil
11-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Eyelets down low are the important ones to provide a stable rack. P-clamps up top work fine, just find clamps that fit. If you have a brake or fender boss on the seat stay's bridge you can mount a Tubus Fly rack which uses a single center mount up top.

marsh
11-05-2013, 11:15 AM
I used P-clamps on a bike with zero eyelets through 2 Chicago winters without incident. You could also go rackless and look into frame/saddlebags. My winter project will be some kind of saddle mounted drybag holding system.

cheshirecycle
11-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Axiom Streamliner Road DLX

solid!!!!

palincss
11-05-2013, 01:20 PM
It seems like I have 2 choices: use a seat post rack, which seems to run about 65-35 against in the court of public opinion. Most folks say they slide too much, while a few are happy with them. The other option is something like the Axiom Journey, which mounts through the rear axle skewer. This sounds like a much more stable and secure option, but I don't know how it would work on an everyday basis. I'm concerned I would have to re-adjust it anytime I opened the quick release tab to change a flat, etc.

Does anyone have any insight on either of these options or any others I've missed?

P clamps

kevinvc
11-05-2013, 05:21 PM
The thing with the Stumptown is that the chainstays are squared, so p-clamps won't work. I also have disc brakes, which is another layer to the issue. It has a fender mount at the bridge, but nothing down low. It seems like the best option for me is one with the skewer mount and either a single rod to the fender mount or else a double to the caliper mounts.

Thanks for all the input.

srsoltis
11-05-2013, 07:38 PM
It seems like I have 2 choices: use a seat post rack, which seems to run about 65-35 against in the court of public opinion. Most folks say they slide too much, while a few are happy with them.

The Arkel Randonneur rack gets good reviews.

http://www.arkel-od.com/us/all-categories/bicycle-bike-pannier-rack/arkel-randonneur-rack.html

cnighbor1
11-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Rivendell sells clamps for mounting a rack without eyelets Look like those wire camps above but much better built Comes in 3 sizes. I used them without breakage

Sheldon4209
11-05-2013, 07:57 PM
I have an Old Man Mountain that uses the quick release and bolts to the braze ons for the linear brakes. Works great and no problems with the rear wheel. It is a strong and secure rack that my wife and I have toured with using panniers.