PDA

View Full Version : Avid bb7 center lock to 6-bolt rotor conversion?

pherms
11-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Hi all,
Searched the forum and couldn't find anything on this topic. I have a center-lock 180mm Avid bb7 rotor that I want to run on my rear wheel, which is built for 6 bolt rotors. I know that there is an adaptor to go from 6-bolt to center-lock but I'm not sure if you can go the other way. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks,
Paul

Mark McM
11-04-2013, 05:32 PM
The ISO 6 bolt pattern is a larger diameter than the center-lock splines, so a center-lock hub to 6 bolt rotor adapter can be made that fits around the hub splines, maintaining the same rotor offset. The splines of a center-lock rotor won't fit around the 6 bolt flange on the hub, so a center-lock rotor to 6 bolt hub adapter would have to mount on the side of the hub's flange (i.e. offset to the outside), which would push the rotor too far out for the caliper to mate with and (possibly pushing the rotor into the fork leg).

oldpotatoe
11-05-2013, 07:02 AM
Hi all,
Searched the forum and couldn't find anything on this topic. I have a center-lock 180mm Avid bb7 rotor that I want to run on my rear wheel, which is built for 6 bolt rotors. I know that there is an adaptor to go from 6-bolt to center-lock but I'm not sure if you can go the other way. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks,
Paul

Don't think you can go 'that way'....Don't think there is a 6 bolt adapter to centerlock, considering the OD and the distance the rotor would be out from the hub.

pherms
11-05-2013, 07:57 AM
that's what i figured but i wanted to check with the experts first. thanks for responding.

cheshirecycle
11-05-2013, 12:50 PM
and foolish... 6 bolt is way better than the clanky CL

oldpotatoe
11-05-2013, 01:34 PM
and foolish... 6 bolt is way better than the clanky CL

??

XT, ice tech rotor, CL. No noise, no clank.

sales guy
11-05-2013, 01:44 PM
??

XT, ice tech rotor, CL. No noise, no clank.

Don't forget that Shimano rotors are dead straight out of the box. Versus SRAM/avid rotors. Ugh! Brutal.