PDA

View Full Version : Tire shapes?

jpw
11-04-2013, 05:50 AM
I'm wondering, which tire brands have a reputation for having a cross section shape that makes them wider and 'flatter' (meaning not tall at the center)? Tires in the 25 mm/ 28 mm range, irrespective of the width of the rim.

In my head Michelin rings a bell for something, either wider and flatter, but possibly the opposite (narrower and taller... than the average), but i don't remember which it is.

Thanks, Jason.

stien
11-04-2013, 06:37 AM
In for info. I need a not-tall 25.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Lewis Moon
11-04-2013, 06:50 AM
I'm wondering if the shape is generally dictated by the rim. Because clinchers constrain the tire between the walls of the rim, the general shape would need to be more vertical.

Ken Robb
11-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Michelins with "Pro" in their name have been very round/fat on my Open Pro rims and Riv Roly-Poly/Ruffy-Tuffy are too. Skinnier Paselas (700x28) are relatively skinny but taller. Victorias and Continentals I have used have been shaped in between the extremes.

Charles M
11-04-2013, 09:21 AM
There's very little tread volume and that is, for the most part, what will dictate tire shape beyond the rim internal bead width.

There's very little difference in installed shape of most mid and top range tires with better, more supple casings.

If you're talking about cheap commuter tires with hard casings and big treads, that's another story... but most tires in the upper end all have a very similar shape and tread depth / thickness.

fa63
11-04-2013, 10:22 AM
http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/download_files/TyreTests/RoadBike_winter_test_02_11.pdf

According to this (see page 3), it looks like Continental GP 4-Season and Vittoria Open Pave CG might fit the bill.