PDA

View Full Version : How I want my CDA to look

saab2000
01-15-2006, 07:08 AM
I am not quite up on how to post links, but I want my CDA to look like the example given for the "Indy" paint scheme in the "finish" section of the Serotta site. I like that color. I hate the price of the color and probably of the paint scheme, but in my eyes, that bike is a looker. I would only get away from the contrived lug look on the fork.

Yup, wastin' away again in a hotel in Richmond, VA......

davids
01-15-2006, 08:20 AM
You mean this one?
http://www.serotta.com/images/indy.jpg

It coulda been yours: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=13540

saab2000
01-15-2006, 08:33 AM
That's it. I just like the look of the bike, except for the fake lug look on the fork. T'aint a lugged fork, so why make it look like one? Anyway, I dig the color and the silver highlights on the frame. That might be mine one day soon.

Fixed
01-15-2006, 08:46 AM
bro nice .. cheers :beer:

Korn Julio
01-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Hey -- that's my frame! :banana:

I went ahead and ran the Serotta Custom Paint Shop program to see how much the color paint scheme on that Candy Apple Red CSi would cost if I were to apply it on an all steel CDA (I couldn't apply it to a new CSi since they are no longer made) :( Here were the upcharges listed:

Candy Apple Red (specialty color) = $200
Indy custom paint scheme = $400
Frost White (specialty color on the panels) = $200

And how much was a CSi frame? About $2,500

Hmmmm, with all upcharges that comes to around $3,300.
And I paid $1,200 for it?

THANK YOU SEROTTA for letting me in on the deal of the century!
:D :beer: :D :banana: :banana:

Saab, I also live in Northern VA. Your CDA can be my CSi's long lost twin. :p

saab2000
01-15-2006, 09:35 AM
Is the frame in the picture actually your bike? If so, that is pretty cool. The prices for the paint changes/upgrades though are pretty eye-watering.

Ozz
01-15-2006, 09:51 AM
KJ - Did the fork in the pic come with the bike? If so, count another $150 or so for the full-deck treatment.

1centaur
01-15-2006, 09:57 AM
The paint charges certainly turn an okay priced frame into a high priced frame in a hurry. I worked out a scheme in the paint applet that I love, but the combined price of everything seems stiff. It's evident from your other posts that the paint cost is a major impediment - my thought is to call someone known for charging a lot - Joe Bell - and send him the paint scheme to get a quote for stripping a stock job (if you can't get it unfinished) and painting it to match the applet. The answer will either be that you can get the paint for a little less from someone of unquestioned competence or that the Serotta prices are in the ballpark.

There are a lot of other good painters around too, but perhaps JB's reputation would give you a feeling a assurance vs. Serotta's own competence to reliably do their usual paint schemes.

saab2000
01-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Lots of ideas swirl in my mind, believe me! I would have to think that the paint on the Serotta would be as good as anything out there.

You are absolutely correct that the upcharges add too much to the price. I could just get a standard color and no special design and no paint to the fork and save a lot of cash. I am leaning towards the F3.

No doubt that those upcharges are frustrating. :crap:

Fixed
01-15-2006, 10:24 AM
bro it looks like paint adds a lot to the price of a bike. does anyone know how much j. bell charges for a panel paint like on r.s.'s bikes ? cheers :beer:
off to the pratice crit got to ride stars at 1:00 cheers

Korn Julio
01-15-2006, 01:03 PM
Saab: According to Sertotta James, my CSi is the actual one used and pictured in the 2004 Serotta catalog. So it's kinda cool owning a "catalog" frame. And those paint upcharges can really bite you. When I got my CDA, I ordered the standard yellow/red team fade (for $75, it wasn't too bad). But then here's what I went through:

Wanna paint the fork? That's an upcharge....
Wait, you wanna have a fade paintjob on the fork? That's an additional upcharge....
Oh, you wanna paint your carbon seatstays? Well, that was another separate upcharge....
You say you want your name on both sides of the toptube? Ka-ching, another upcharge (this one I really didn't mind)

HOWEVER, I was glad I had it painted the way I wanted 'cause when I received the frame, the paintjob was absolutely impeccable and flawless. It's also very durable and seems to be holding up very well. Today the paint looks like it's still dripping wet. So I say, it's all good --- paint it the way YOU want it.

Ozz: Unfortunately the matching 02 fork was not included with the frame. I wished it were. I would've gladly "forked" :rolleyes: over an additional 3 to 5 bills to have it.

dbrk
01-15-2006, 01:12 PM
It's funny though how the paint on a bike can make you love it or just, well, accept that it's the ride you must care about more. I'm a stickler for paint because I can't long keep a bike with a paint job that I don't care for, no matter the ride. Once I like the paint job I just ride it without the slightest concern for nicks and scratches, wet or dry.

But sometimes I sell a bike because I don't like the paint and the ride doesn't warrant, imo, the cost of the repaint. Some times I spend a stupit [sic] amount on paint on a bike that's not worth a fifth as much as the paint because I love the ride (I have an RB-2, a 2!!!, with a zillion dollar JB paint job). Serottas have wonderful quality paint now (far better than the past and far improved with the move to Saratoga) but the cost is competitive with the very, very, very best, and that's JB. With all due respect, if the price is the "same" I'd send it to JB because he is incomparable.

dbrk

saab2000
01-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the answer. As much as it hurts, I sort of agree. My bikes are important to me and I do like eye candy. Even though I used to race and they were what I rode on, I have always been attracted to the aesthetic side of the bike too.

Still not sure about the carbon fork on a steel frame, but if Serotta says it is good enough it might actually be good enough.

BEN, BRING BACK STEEL FORKS!!!!

jonesy
01-15-2006, 01:26 PM
I'm waiting for my cda and apparently it was shipped just the other day.
I too was really keen on the indy scheme but the cost was just too much.
I've gone for stealth black everything because all the fastest things are black imho.I can't wait.

dbrk
01-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Still not sure about the carbon fork on a steel frame, but if Serotta says it is good enough it might actually be good enough.

BEN, BRING BACK STEEL FORKS!!!!

If I had a new CDA I'd get a steel fork but I'd not pay Serotta's price when, well, it can be made for half the price elsewhere for the same effect. Serotta's steel forks cost reflect an interest in not building them. There. I said it. Flame me if you like but the primary advantage of a carbon fork is that it plugs in.

dbrk

Big Dan
01-15-2006, 02:03 PM
I had a CIII with a sweet Serotta steel fork. Sold the CIII with a CF fork and kept the sweet fork. :cool:

Fixed
01-15-2006, 02:57 PM
bro dan that was smart i.m.h.o. cheers