PDA

View Full Version : Ax-lightness Orion Carbon Brake Callipers

Kevin
01-15-2006, 05:46 AM
I came across these carbon brake callipers, the pair weighs less than 100 grams. Very light considering that the Zero Gravity brakes weigh 165 grams and Campy Record weighs 320 grams. They are so light that I would be concerned that they would not stop in time.

http://www.poshbikes.com/product.php?id=79

Kevin

Climb01742
01-15-2006, 06:00 AM
i have both DA and zero gravity brakes. ZGs work fine, but DA10 grab your wheels like a python. i'm all for lightweight, but i gotta say, the confidence that DA brakes give you -- and perhaps the margin of safety -- makes the extra grams a worthy trade-off, IMO. there are lots of places to save weight; not sure stopping power is such a great one.

lnomalley
01-15-2006, 08:48 AM
for me.. DA are too on/off. i love the modulation of zero gravity... and they are really good peeps out there in georgia making them.. so..

as for the carbon ones.. i think they have an aluminum substructure.. which is a good thing. i'm not sure why some bits are made of carbon when aluminum tends to work better, lighter, more durable. i love carbon but not on my stem or on my brakes.

Kevin
01-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Has anyone had durability issues with the Zero Gravity brakes?

Kevin

jartzt
01-15-2006, 08:30 PM
$1025 for a set of brakes?

IMHO, for that money they'd not only have to make the bike stop they'd have to make it fly.

soulspinner
01-16-2006, 04:24 AM
They likely can make them stiffer, no?

guyintense
01-16-2006, 05:16 PM
$1025 for a set of brakes?

IMHO, for that money they'd not only have to make the bike stop they'd have to make it fly.
$1.76 for a pound so it's more like $1200.

Kevin
01-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Back in the day $12 a gram was a pretty good price. :D

Kevin

The Spider
01-17-2006, 01:58 AM
I'm really impressed with the ZG, I've installed SwissStop Race2000 black pads and they are stiff, strong and modulate well. Confidence-inspiring braking and they match the stealth/industrial look of my bike well. Recommended if money isn't a factor.

Kevin
01-17-2006, 06:01 AM
My LBS has ordered the Zero Gravity brakes. :banana: Even in my warped mind I am having difficulty justifying the idea of purchasing the Ax-Lightness brakes. :crap: Maybe next year my mind will warp a little further and I will be able to justify the purchase. ;)

Kevin

Ozz
01-17-2006, 06:47 AM
Kevin - How long is your wait for your shop to get the Zero G's? I hope to head down to sometime this week and order a set.....thanks.

Kevin
01-17-2006, 08:39 PM
Kevin - How long is your wait for your shop to get the Zero G's? I hope to head down to sometime this week and order a set.....thanks.

Ozz,

When they finally show up I will let you know. I told my LBS in October that I wanted to replace all the components on my Ottrott (I was moving the existing components to a NOS HC that I had found on the forum) but that it was not a rush. When I stopped by the LBS this past weekend, the person responsible for ordering the components was on vacation and the person in the store did not know the status of the Zero Gravity brakes. If the wait proves to be too long, it may give me the excuse to buy the overpriced carbon brakes. :D

Kevin