PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Edge, Travelling & training

HHeyermans
11-03-2013, 09:44 AM
Most of us are using some sort of Garmin to record our rides. When I travel I have been taking an older laptop to download my rides and upload to a site. I am looking at replacing the laptop for something that is multifunctional. The idea is you can use it to travel and use it at home to train indoors. I am getting a Wahoo Kickr and will use it in conjunction with Traineroad and other sites. My needs are
1) Be able to DL rides from my Edge 500 or 800
2) Be able to Up load the rides to web sites
3) be able to communicate via Ant+ or Blue tooth to a Wahoo Kickr

I have and Ipad(4th) and its useless with the Garmin but works for everything else. I looked at the new Microsoft Surface2 and it works great with the Garmin. As for budget, if it fits all my needs then price is not an issue. I would rather have one device.

djg21
11-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Most of us are using some sort of Garmin to record our rides. When I travel I have been taking an older laptop to download my rides and upload to a site. I am looking at replacing the laptop for something that is multifunctional. The idea is you can use it to travel and use it at home to train indoors. I am getting a Wahoo Kickr and will use it in conjunction with Traineroad and other sites. My needs are
1) Be able to DL rides from my Edge 500 or 800
2) Be able to Up load the rides to web sites
3) be able to communicate via Ant+ or Blue tooth to a Wahoo Kickr

I have and Ipad(4th) and its useless with the Garmin but works for everything else. I looked at the new Microsoft Surface2 and it works great with the Garmin. As for budget, if it fits all my needs then price is not an issue. I would rather have one device.

I use my iPad with my Garmin Edge 810. I use the bluetooth with my iPhone to upload info to Garmin Connect as I ride. I installed the Garmin Connect iPhone app on my iPad as well. I can view my data on the iPad either in the app, or using the browser to access the Garmin Connect website.

For indoor training, I use a PC and Computrainer.

HHeyermans
11-04-2013, 06:25 AM
I use my iPad with my Garmin Edge 810. I use the bluetooth with my iPhone to upload info to Garmin Connect as I ride. I installed the Garmin Connect iPhone app on my iPad as well. I can view my data on the iPad either in the app, or using the browser to access the Garmin Connect website.

For indoor training, I use a PC and Computrainer.

I may have to look at replacing the 500 with a 510. I was looking at a macbook air for travel and use it in conjunction with appleTV at home to train.

Lewis Moon
11-04-2013, 06:46 AM
I may have to look at replacing the 500 with a 510. I was looking at a macbook air for travel and use it in conjunction with appleTV at home to train.

You know, things would be a WHOLE lot simpler if Apple would just add a USB port and software to support it.
...and an SD slot.

These items are pretty much the industry norm. Other than these omissions and Apples insane desire to control absolutely everything in the user interface, I pretty much like Apple. Don't get me started with iTunes. Lamest. Player. Ever...period.

HHeyermans
11-10-2013, 04:28 PM
And found what I was looking for.
On the Garmin forum there was a thread about the 800 with regards to uploading and Downloading thru an ipad.

I followed the instructions from one of the members. I had to purchase on Kingston Mobilelite and one app for the ipad. I was successful in uploading a ride to strava through the ipad

Garmin 500/800 upload thru ipad (https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?27933-Edge-800-amp-iPad/page2)