PDA

View Full Version : ENVE Road Fork Tire Clearance

Lovetoclimb
11-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Regarding the 2.0 road fork, website says max tire clearance is 28mm, curious if anyone has gone bigger without problems. Looking at a road bike build with which I can run 30-32mm tires occasionally. The cross fork works but is also $200.

Brakes wise I am thinking Paul Racers center pull.

11-02-2013, 07:06 PM
With Shimano 7900 or 900 calipers I'll hit the arch of the fork crown before I hit the brake caliper itself.

With an Enve 2.0 road fork (I have three of them), I can fit a 28 mm Conti 4 Season with about 3 mm max to spare (vertical clearance). There is absolutely no way a 30 mm Challenge Strada Bianca will fit -- the hub axles can barely touch the fork ends. I think a 27 mm Parigi Roubaix would be pretty tight since the Conti 4 Season is a bit under its stated dimensions. Hope that helps.

Lovetoclimb
11-02-2013, 07:54 PM
With Shimano 7900 or 900 calipers I'll hit the arch of the fork crown before I hit the brake caliper itself.

With an Enve 2.0 road fork (I have three of them), I can fit a 28 mm Conti 4 Season with about 3 mm max to spare (vertical clearance). There is absolutely no way a 30 mm Challenge Strada Bianca will fit -- the hub axles can barely touch the fork ends. I think a 27 mm Parigi Roubaix would be pretty tight since the Conti 4 Season is a bit under its stated dimensions. Hope that helps.

Yep, sounds like cross fork or custom steel fork is the only way to keep my dreams alive. Thanks for the help.

Veloo
11-02-2013, 08:17 PM
I was trying to do the exact same thing cuz I missed my cross bike.
Here are some visuals. The ones with clearance are my ENVE 2.0 with Gommitalia 700X23 Calypso tires. The back view pic of the tire without any gap is a Schwalbe 32 mm Marathon. Front pic of the 32 mm wasn't really possible.
I had to deflate the Schwalbe to get it in place and with only 3 strokes of the Joe Blow floor pump, it was already rubbing. You could tell without any inflation that it wasn't going to work.

eddief
11-02-2013, 08:39 PM
and with quick release open and tire at full inflation, I have to do a strong tap on the wheel to get it in or out due to brake clearance. The fork may allow for bigger tires, but maybe not so much the brakes.

Lovetoclimb
11-02-2013, 08:58 PM
and with quick release open and tire at full inflation, I have to do a strong tap on the wheel to get it in or out due to brake clearance. The fork may allow for bigger tires, but maybe not so much the brakes.

I seem to have no problems with Campy skeleton brakes and vittoria pave 27mm tires on various 23mm wide rims. But have only tested that setup on my now for sale Cannondale Supersix.

mistermo
11-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Nick, from Velonews was able to get a Challenge Parigi Roubaix tire in his, with a measurement of 29mm. Here's the article. http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/08/bikes-and-tech/reviews/review-challenge-parigi-roubaix-clinchers_188346

And it's been my experience that rim width plays a role as well. I have a Reynolds Ouzo Pro, and 28c GP4 Seasons work fine as long as their on a Mavic Open Pro. If I put them on a 23mm rim, they were too big and didn't fit. YMMV

eddief
11-02-2013, 10:14 PM
My front rim is an A23.

yashcha
11-02-2013, 10:23 PM
Here is a picture of the Enve road disc fork using a H Plus Son 23mm wide rims and continental gatorskin 25mm tires. About 5mm of clearance at the widest part of the tire.

Next, I would like to try a 28mm.

A 30 mm tire was not possible.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f331/yashcha/IMG_0537_zpsa62330c2.jpg

happycampyer
11-03-2013, 12:39 AM
See my post # 20 in this thread for some more examples. There are a lot of variables, tire, rim width, brake caliper, etc., but imo a tire that actually measures 30mm is going to have very little clearance if it fits at all.

Tire clearance with modern cf forks like Enve - limiting factor (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=122464&page=2)

campy man
01-06-2014, 04:52 PM
What a bummer, been planning a new bike build with 28mm tires for months ... website for both frame & fork claim max 28mm tires. Now I'm learning the Vittoria Rubino Pro 28mm tires I was planning to use won't work with Campagnolo brakes & Enve fork.

I'm assuming a Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork is even tighter with 28mm tires than a Enve fork.

dave thompson
01-06-2014, 05:35 PM
I run Ultremo ZX 28s on HED C2 23mm rims, where the tires measure slightly over 30mm fully inflated. On my bike with an Enve 2.0 fork and Dura Ace 7800 brake calipers there is about 3mm clearance to the sides and to the top. When taking the wheel off I have to screw in the caliper adjuster to allow the arms to fully open, not a big deal.

Lionel
01-07-2014, 06:50 AM
with campy skeleton brakes:

Ultremo ZX 28mm clincher, neutron ultra wheels: fine
FMB 27 tubular, nemesis rim: not fine

jeffcon0
01-18-2017, 10:29 AM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but this is relevant to a bike build I'm currently working on.

Apparently Enve used to list their road fork as clearing 28mm tires but now it's "officially" 25mm. Anyone happen to know if their road 2.0 fork has changed dimensions in the last few years or if they are just playing it safe on the measurements now?

On the same note, can anyone add to the list of 28mm tires that have been successfully mounted on your Enve road forks? I'll be running H+Son TB14 rims (23mm) and Force caliper brakes. Hoping to fit a 28mm like a Gravelking or Clement Strada in for some of the rough roads here in Vermont.

Any anecdotal evidence you have with wider tires on your Enve fork would be greatly appreciated!

R3awak3n
01-18-2017, 10:41 AM
I have successfully ran a tire that measured 29mm (on a 23mm rim so the tire is wider, not taller). But yeah, I don't think you can go more than that.

dave thompson
01-18-2017, 10:48 AM
I had a new bike built three years ago and used a new Enve 2.0 fork. I run HED wheels with the C2 23mm wide rim, Schwalbe ZX 28mm tires which measure an actual 31mm. There's comfortable clearance between the tire and fork.

Edit: I think the key to fitting big tires is the brake caliper. I can't speak to SRAM units but I found the Shimano 6800 calipers offer more vertical clearance than most any other front caliper I investigated.

geeter
08-07-2017, 01:02 PM
Sorry for more old thread resurrection but I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on the following:

Running the Road 2.0 on a 23mm or less with:

Clement Strada 28
Vittoria Pave 27

Is the fork an inhibitor or is it the caliper?

dave thompson
08-07-2017, 01:31 PM
Sorry for more old thread resurrection but I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on the following:

Clement Strada 28
Vittoria Pave 27

Took a quick look at my Enve 2.0 with a 6800 caliper. With that setup the limiting factor is the fork, as the calipers present a larger arch than the fork.

dddd
08-07-2017, 01:32 PM
There are several important reasons why it's best to maintain at least a few mm of clearance about the tire.

Just having a spoke nipple decide to settle into it's socket, or slight cracking of a rim or ferrule, not to mention the classic outer-ply failure of a tire casing or common trauma to the wheel while out riding.

Then there's the limitless variety of detritus that can stick to the tire's tread, I had a small, sticky piece of bark attach to my back tire, which locked up!

To bad that some serious, practical considerations can fall short of the emphasis that rider's place on going to their bike's clearance limits with wider tires.
Hopefully riders will at least familiarize themselves with the limits of their existing tire's lowered pressure before taking things too far with tire width, and even using wider rims somewhat bloats the tire outward in all directions.

geeter
08-07-2017, 01:38 PM
Agreed. Just want to know what's capable

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

donevwil
08-07-2017, 01:44 PM
ENVE is just protecting themselves. Stating a fork clears a 28mm tire means a tire that measures 28mm, that may in reality be a large 25 (Conti 4000S) or a small 30. Most unfortunately assume the number on the side of a tire means something.

My wife runs Compass 28s on 23mm HEDs through Campy skeletons on an ENVE 2.0. The tires measure 28 wide and about 27 tall. Plenty of clearance to the sides, much less vertically. I'd say 4mm vertically.

Bostic
08-07-2017, 01:49 PM
I was running a 5800 front brake on Pacenti SL23 with Gatorskin 700x28 on my Enve 2.0 fork. There wasn't much clearance due to the fork not the brake. Was riding up a long badly paved hill and caught a rock at 9mph. Made a horrible grinding sound and messed up the paint on the underside of the fork. Since then I've only used 700x25's.

John H.
08-07-2017, 02:49 PM
Conti GP4000 II in 700x28mm does not fit- But they measure almost 32mm.

Mzilliox
08-07-2017, 03:04 PM

The 30mm strada does not fit. 28mm in vittoria corsa, michelin, compass, and 27mm parigi roubaix all work fine on any rims from hed plus to pacenti v2s, to shamals.

08-07-2017, 09:08 PM

Clement Strada 28
Vittoria Pave 27

I'm riding current Evo Pave III's in 27 with a 2.0 fork and it clears very easily. Perhaps 5 mm on top and sides. You don't even hit the underside of the crown if you pick up a piece of chip seal. There's less clearance in back, on my frame at least.

I had a Strada 28 in there last year and it worked fine with just a tiny bit less clearance. And it's the fork crown itself that looks like it'd hit first.

Gabuyo
08-08-2017, 05:37 AM

Clement Strada 28
Vittoria Pave 27

I own both of these tires and they fit comfortably beneath the fork even mounted on my 24mm rims.