PDA

View Full Version : Pumps...

oldguy00
11-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Anyone remember the Zefal Double Shot floor pump from the early 90's? I used to have one, and I miss it dearly. I've never had a pump that worked nearly as well.
I don't like the Silca track pumps, and I currently have one of the more expensive Specialized floor pumps that really doesn't work that great....the head doesn't stay on the valve well, and/or it is a bitch to get onto the valve in the first place, then takes forever to pump and it seems air leaks out from the center button on the top of the handle on its own.....

What happened to Zefal? :(

And what is the best out there now?? Will the Leyzene pumps fit any kind of vale/extender, or only those with threads?
And, how do you guys/gals get accurate air pressure readings when pumping a tire with an extender? Needle seems to bounce a lot....

bicimechanic
11-01-2013, 12:38 PM
I've been using the SKS Airbase Pro in the shop for a while now and I really like it. It's heavy, mostly metal and fits all the valves I have used with it (extenders, threaded, smooth) and holds tight. Gauge is accurate. It really is my favorite floor pump at the moment.

cp43
11-01-2013, 12:39 PM
I have a couple Lezyne floor pumps, and have been happy with them. They do make a slip fit pump head that should work with threadless extenders, I haven't tried it though.

Chris

malcolm
11-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Not sure if they are considered good or not but I have a specialized that seems to get air into the tires just fine. I also have a park that is a piece of crap.

redir
11-01-2013, 01:12 PM
I do remember those but I never owned one. I bought a Silca in about '92 and still use it several times a week.

druptight
11-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Not sure what specialized you have but I've never used a better pump than my Specialized Air Tool (I think I just have the "comp" version).

malcolm
11-01-2013, 01:43 PM
Not sure what specialized you have but I've never used a better pump than my Specialized Air Tool (I think I just have the "comp" version).

I think mine is the comp as well. I tend to agree, I not sure what the determining factor is but if it's getting air into the tire my specialized seems to do that quite well and is easy to get on and off.

cmbicycles
11-01-2013, 02:17 PM
I have a 15yr old joe blow pump, it still does the job well and has the gauge at the top where it is easier to see. My specialized floor pump works nicely as well, pro model I think, though it is a tad newer. Zefal is still making pumps, but you see more of the house brand pumps these days at many lbs than you used to see.