PDA

View Full Version : "Waterproof" Shoe Covers/Overshoes...

buldogge
11-01-2013, 12:01 AM
Hey Guys…Looking for recommendation/experiences with shoe covers/overshoes...

I'm looking for lighter/sleeker/waterproof as opposed to fleecy winter.

I have a pair of PI Elite Barriers already.

Any experience with Northwave H2O Extremes? (not sure how bulky these are)

TIA
-Mark in St. Louis

blessthismess
11-01-2013, 12:29 AM
I have a pair if cheap-ish Sugoi covers from REI, they work okay but only in a very light rain. In a heavy rain, or as soon as you put a foot down your shoes are wet. The problem is most cycling shoes have venting on the bottom. Lately I have been looking into a pair of Gore-Tex waterproof socks instead but honestly I'm not too sure if they will work either :)

rnhood
11-01-2013, 01:36 AM
I have the Gore covers (http://www.goreapparel.com/gore-bike-wear-road-gore-tex-overshoes/FRACPO,default,pd.html?dwvar_FRACPO_color=9900&start=4&cgid=gbw-men-geartype-accessories-shoe-covers) and they seem to do Ok. With lots of rain there can still be leakage around the ankle but overall, these work pretty well. They are light weight and thin. If you need some warmth they make the same model with a layer of thin insulation (thermo cover). Even these are pretty thin and light.

Germany_chris
11-01-2013, 03:52 AM
I use waterproof socks instead.

rando
11-01-2013, 04:17 AM
There really isn't anything that is actually waterproof as far as shoe covers. Water is going to get in through the bottom or the top if it doesn't saturate through the shoe cover. The other side is being so impermeable your sweat has nowhere to go and leaves you soaked from the inside. While still having the same weaknesses from above and below.

Neoprene is pretty universally used in the wet for good reason.

FlashUNC
11-01-2013, 05:34 AM
I've had good success with the Castelli Nano shoe cover.

jpw
11-01-2013, 06:37 AM
i took delivery of a pair of these yesterday;

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/assos-aftersnow-s7-bootie?ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6YXNzb3M6MzoxMDphc3Nv cw

i'll be giving a running commentary over this winter on how well they perform. not wet or cold enough to wear them just yet though.

Heisenberg
11-01-2013, 07:01 AM
There really isn't anything that is actually waterproof as far as shoe covers. Water is going to get in through the bottom or the top if it doesn't saturate through the shoe cover. The other side is being so impermeable your sweat has nowhere to go and leaves you soaked from the inside. While still having the same weaknesses from above and below.

Neoprene is pretty universally used in the wet for good reason.

Yep. If you want waterproof, you need a winter shoe - eg Sidi Hydro.

buldogge
11-01-2013, 07:30 AM
Hey Guys…Thanx for the responses. I guess I'll qualify my statement/request. I'm well aware of all the foibles…hence the air quotes around waterproof.

I backpack as well, and don't even attempt to bother trying to stay "dry".

Coupla things:

-My commute is only 20-30 minutes.

-Not looking for winter covers, already have that covered.

-Not worried about the bottom opening or other minor details…just looking for the best thin/performance cover/material.

-Sweated out feet are a lot different than rain-soaked feet…I wear wool socks,
always.

Thanx again,
-Mark

buldogge
11-01-2013, 07:31 AM
Flash…I was looking heavily at these. Did you size up to XXL???

-Mark

I've had good success with the Castelli Nano shoe cover.

buldogge
11-01-2013, 07:31 AM
Umm…gulp.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/assos-aftersnow-s7-bootie?ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6YXNzb3M6MzoxMDphc3Nv cw

i'll be giving a running commentary over this winter on how well they perform. not wet or cold enough to wear them just yet though.

buldogge
11-01-2013, 07:33 AM
Chris…I need some of these as well…are you using Rocky Gore-Tex, SealSkinz, or something else??? What's your overall impression?...

TIA
-Mark

I use waterproof socks instead.

FlashUNC
11-01-2013, 07:39 AM
Flash…I was looking heavily at these. Did you size up to XXL???

-Mark

I think mine are just the XL. I can check though. Castelli recommends a tight a fit as possible. It's got a bit of an S&M vibe to them, but they fit and work well so far.

These and a pair of fenders, and I stay reasonably dry in the wet stuff.

druptight
11-01-2013, 07:40 AM
I use your standard neoprene ones and I find that they will keep me warm/fairly dry for commuting (I've been using the LG ones):

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_501220_-1___202515

If it's POURING, your feet are getting wet, but for road spray and general warmth, I find the neoprene to be pretty light and pretty good at keeping you dry on my 10-12 mi each way commute. And they're cheap.

buldogge
11-01-2013, 07:49 AM
How is the fit on these?

A lot of overshoes seem to be undersized (I realize they should be tight)…I had to size up to XXL in the PIs (45-45.5 Specialized) to fit over my Spec Pro MTBs.

TIA
-Mark

I have the Gore covers (http://www.goreapparel.com/gore-bike-wear-road-gore-tex-overshoes/FRACPO,default,pd.html?dwvar_FRACPO_color=9900&start=4&cgid=gbw-men-geartype-accessories-shoe-covers) and they seem to do Ok. With lots of rain there can still be leakage around the ankle but overall, these work pretty well. They are light weight and thin. If you need some warmth they make the same model with a layer of thin insulation (thermo cover). Even these are pretty thin and light.

rando
11-01-2013, 08:20 AM
I'm well aware of all the foibles…

In that case the Specialized waterproof shoe covers are supposed to be about as good as it gets. Of course they quit making them this year. Looks like you can order them from overseas though.

cp43
11-01-2013, 08:21 AM
How is the fit on these?

A lot of overshoes seem to be undersized (I realize they should be tight)…I had to size up to XXL in the PIs (45-45.5 Specialized) to fit over my Spec Pro MTBs.

TIA
-Mark

I have some Gore covers. I think I got the biggest size (XXL) and they fit over my 47 Mega Sidi's with room to spare. They also fit over my Lake winter boots. You'll probably be OK with either XL for 45's.

The Gores are for sure more roomy than the PI covers. I have the XXL of the PI neoprene covers, and I can barely get my shoes in them.

Chris

buldogge
11-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Thanx guys…

-Mark

In that case the Specialized waterproof shoe covers are supposed to be about as good as it gets. Of course they quit making them this year. Looks like you can order them from overseas though.

I have some Gore covers. I think I got the biggest size (XXL) and they fit over my 47 Mega Sidi's with room to spare. They also fit over my Lake winter boots. You'll probably be OK with either XL for 45's.

The Gores are for sure more roomy than the PI covers. I have the XXL of the PI neoprene covers, and I can barely get my shoes in them.

Chris

Velosmith
11-01-2013, 08:27 AM
In the past MEC (a Canadian Outfitter) has had some good solutions. The folks in Canada seem know about weather. I have had a pair of their "house branded" shoe covers for 3 years now and they work as well as anything.

Germany_chris
11-01-2013, 08:45 AM
Chris…I need some of these as well…are you using Rocky Gore-Tex, SealSkinz, or something else??? What's your overall impression?...

TIA
-Mark

I use seal skins when I wear cycling shoes because they have the socks built in and rocky gortex over socks if I'm wearing boots. If I recall both were obscenely expensive but I've had them 9 years now.

Sent from my Jeep

druptight
11-01-2013, 08:49 AM

If anyone else is interested in these, ribble's got them for about $60 less.

buldogge
11-01-2013, 08:51 AM
Well…I was gonna try these for back-packing, so it would be the Rocky socks-type.

Heard a lot of negative reviews of the SealSkinz on backpacking forums.

I usually just wear wool and let the chips fall where they may and usually use fresh socks the next day while the prior ones dry on the back, if possible.

-Mark

I use seal skins when I wear cycling shoes because they have the socks built in and rocky gortex over socks if I'm wearing boots. If I recall both were obscenely expensive but I've had them 9 years now.

Sent from my Jeep

buldogge
11-01-2013, 08:52 AM
I have MEC over mitts…they make some nice stuff at decent prices…but…the shipping to the US is a killer unless you get a largish order.

-Mark

In the past MEC (a Canadian Outfitter) has had some good solutions. The folks in Canada seem know about weather. I have had a pair of their "house branded" shoe covers for 3 years now and they work as well as anything.

Clydesdale
11-01-2013, 09:03 AM
I have not worn the shoe covers but all of the SP stuff I have has been excellent in wet weather. Not insulated or anything but I would expect them to perform well.

http://www.showerspass.com/catalog/accessories/club-shoe-covers

http://www.showerspass.com/catalog/closeout/touring-shoe-covers - these say not compatible with cleats but I'm guessing you could cut the soles as needed?

bigbill
11-01-2013, 09:11 AM
I know you want shoe covers but I tried multiple types on my PNW commute and finally just bit the bullet and bought winter shoes. I have Specialized Defrosters which have a neoprene cuff. I got the MTB version since they were for commuting. I found that combined with fenders with a mudflap in the front, as long as I rolled my socks below the cuff, my feet stayed dry. I could wear regular thin socks down below freezing and be warm and was able to ride in temps up to 60F without roasting my feet.

gdw
11-01-2013, 09:43 AM
I've been using Sealskinz for several years and they work really well for cycling but are more of a vapor barrier than breathable sock and might not be the best choice for all day hikes. Here's a less expensive option which is popular with some bikepackers and might be more versatile.
http://www.nrs.com/product/2342/nrs-hydroskin-wetsocks

Germany_chris
11-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Well…I was gonna try these for back-packing, so it would be the Rocky socks-type.

Heard a lot of negative reviews of the SealSkinz on backpacking forums.

I usually just wear wool and let the chips fall where they may and usually use fresh socks the next day while the prior ones dry on the back, if possible.

-Mark

They aren't anything you'd want to walk in all day especially since modern boots are waterproof, breathable, stable, and comfortable.

buldogge
11-01-2013, 12:03 PM
I backpack in trailrunners….FWIW.

-Mark

They aren't anything you'd want to walk in all day especially since modern boots are waterproof, breathable, stable, and comfortable.

buldogge
11-01-2013, 12:09 PM
I know I should…but I don't want to spend the dish on winter shoes. I more concerned with rainy days, and we don't get 275/yr here! ;)

Winter is not much of an issue, it's really just spring/fall rainy days.

-Mark

I know you want shoe covers but I tried multiple types on my PNW commute and finally just bit the bullet and bought winter shoes. I have Specialized Defrosters which have a neoprene cuff. I got the MTB version since they were for commuting. I found that combined with fenders with a mudflap in the front, as long as I rolled my socks below the cuff, my feet stayed dry. I could wear regular thin socks down below freezing and be warm and was able to ride in temps up to 60F without roasting my feet.

cnighbor1
11-01-2013, 04:45 PM
Best I seen while riding is Shimano SPD saddles with waterproof neoprene Kayak socks. I would ride to work in downtown Seattle many times and catch up to a person I knew riding above the water just runs out of the saddle while the sock keeps your feet warm
Charles